HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sean Avery

Old
03-31-2010, 01:52 PM
SERE 24
LGR

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
not trying to be an ass but this sounds like a giant list of excuses as to why he doesn't score more, mixed in with a pitty party for your man crush

i judge avery with my own eyes and this is what i've seen:

@2mil/year he's a great addition to a team....3rd liner with some edge that that verges on stupidity that can draw penalties, who's good for about 10 goals a season

@4mil/year he's a major under achiver...3rd liner with some edge that verges on stupidity that can draw penalties, who's good for about 10 goals a season

walking away from avery at that price was one of the smarter things Sather ever did

avery is, was, and always will be a 3rd/4th line talent
The entire post is ABOUT Sean Avery as a 3rd liner (he certainly is NOT a 4th liner), as he's averaged better than a half point-per-game in his time as a Ranger and about 35 points-per-season in his career (not many 4th liners with those kind of numbers). I never said Avery was worth $4M and it's most fortuitous that, through the episode in Dallas, we were able to get him back at slightly under $2M per. I wouldn't want to pay him much more (though in the future, I don't think he'll be asking for as much, given what happened and his obvious desire to play in NY - plus he was coming off back to back career years at that time).

I was simply talking about Sean's value, at his current price, to THIS team. He thrives here, has take on something of a leadership role - both on the ice by example and in the locker room, brings a physical edge that much of our team lacks, draws more penalties than he takes and effectively brings a mental aspect to the game (Brodeur/Kovy in the playoffs, for example), stands up for his teammates (Gaborik/Carcillo incident), and brings better-than-average production for a third line pest. At the ~$2M that we pay, for the role he plays, it's a pretty darn good value. The fact that he as averaged slightly over 45 points for every 82 games he has played in a Rangers uniform, even factoring in his dip in production this season, speaks to that directly. That's not a projected number... it's a fact, look at his points/games played as a Ranger and do the math yourself.

SERE 24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:32 PM
I am a Ranger

Corey Locke played a very good game last night against the Islanders.

I was impressed with him. I know he isn't an Avery but Locke has skills.

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 03:43 PM
nyr2417

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am a Ranger View Post
Corey Locke played a very good game last night against the Islanders.

I was impressed with him. I know he isn't an Avery but Locke has skills.
locke really didn't show much, granted he only played about 5 minutes. and on a side note voros tweeted with a picture that him gabby hank and aves are going on a boat today. i guess seans feeling better, rather than rehabbing hes going on a boat in tampa

nyr2417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 04:08 PM
I am a Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
locke really didn't show much, granted he only played about 5 minutes. and on a side note voros tweeted with a picture that him gabby hank and aves are going on a boat today. i guess seans feeling better, rather than rehabbing hes going on a boat in tampa
I thought that he played a good five minutes. I think if torts sees him a little more then he will stay.

I would rather have Avery though. Avery's the s***

I am a Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:16 AM
XploD

Any news?

XploD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:24 AM
XLJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by XploD View Post
Any news?
Sam said during the game against Florida that out of Cally, Avery and Boyle that Cally is close to returning and Avery is the furthest away of the 3 from returning and is still limping.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:40 AM
chosen

The loss of Avery sure has been devastating to the Rangers recently.

chosen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:43 AM
OrbitalDynamics

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyko1827 View Post
You know he isn't rehabbing? You can say this with certainty?

I just concluded a 3 month P/T cycle for a rotator cuff injury.3 times a week,90 minutes each visit.9am-1030.

You know what? After P/T I was still able to go out and do things.

The level of Avery hatred around here is comical.As is the hypocrisy.

Everyone was clamoring for Heatley at the beginning of the season.Personally, I'm not all that enamored with someone who ended the life of another human being in a drunk driving accident.Ever seen a friend or loved one in a casket because of some $#@ just had to get behind the wheel after having a few or a few too many? I have, its one of the worst feelings in the world.

I have zero tolerance for DWI related fatalities.Heatley should be in jail, not gearing up for the playoff run.

Heatley KILLED someone but virtually everyone was still salivating at the prospect of having him on the roster.Avery shoots his mouth off and doesn't fit the generic hockey player mold and people are absolutely losing their minds over him being on the team,a disgrace to the sport, the city, the noble game of hockey and he should be taken out and shot.

Causing a death or hurting feelings, what is the worse offense?

Avery isn't a saint, but he also hasn't ended anyone's life because of his actions either.

Last edited by OrbitalDynamics: 04-04-2010 at 07:48 AM.
OrbitalDynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:05 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
The loss of Avery sure has been devastating to the Rangers recently.
Oh yeah, and Callahan too. Clearly then, they're both worthless. Good point.
Posted via Mobile Device

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:26 AM
blue68

Send a message via AIM to blue68
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...-2005Feb4.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?id=1626768

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=1637398

Quote:
Because Heatley wasn't drunk and Snyder's relatives say they forgive him, prosecutors could decide the car crash was just an accident, with no need to pursue felony charges and sentences ranging from three to 15 years

I wouldn't want to see anyone have to go through what Snyder's family went through losing a son but Heatley;s "crime" was driving too fast. I'd be very surprised (if people were honest with themselves) if there aren't more of us that have done the same even one time in their life as opposed to people who have always driven the speed limit.

Despite no proof that Heatley was drunk these accusations keep getting perpetuated as it were fact.

Not really sure how a thread about Avery's injury reverted back to Heatley but I certainly wanted to have Dany a Ranger when it was a possibility and these accusations bothered me as much then as now.

blue68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:36 AM
azrok22

Quote:
I wouldn't want to see anyone have to go through what Snyder's family went through losing a son but Heatley;s "crime" was driving too fast. I'd be very surprised (if people were honest with themselves) if there aren't more of us that have done the same even one time in their life as opposed to people who have always driven the speed limit.
I don't know why this has become a Heatley thread either, but let's not trivialize Heatley's "crime." He was going something like 85 mph in a 35 mph zone.

Yes, I'm sure most people have broken speed limits in their lives, but I don't think they did it by going ~50 mph over the speed limit.

Heatley was very, very lucky he was able to plead out of the 1st Degree Vehicular Manslaughter charge.

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:28 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
No more Heatley. It's completely unrelated.

It's just pain.
Old
04-04-2010, 10:23 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
I knew I could count on his most rabid supporter to take offense with my statement that his absence hasn't hurt the team recently, but ya gotta admit it's true, albeit over a a few games, you really can't draw any meaningful conclusions.

You think he's a valuable contributor. I don't. Simple disagreement in talent and value appraisal.

Never said Callahan was worthless.

While I like Callahan's game a lot, I also feel he is vastly overrated here, as well, but I admit that he offers a good checking presence that can chip in goals here and there. He is worth holding on to, unlike Mr. Avery. Surrounded by a good team, Callahan's worth would become much more important. Now he's wasted. I doubt he'll ever be a major offensive producer, but it could happen.

But almost everyone the Rangers add is immediately overvalued by a desperate fanbase. See Higgins and Lisin and Shelley and so forth.

Callahan is an outstanding support player but not a primary player. This is a team of support players and borderline NHLers. One excellent dman, one excellent, but brittle forward, and one excellent goaltender, would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Hopefully Anisimov and Dubinsky can take steps forward or it will be more of the same next year.

If people can coo about how great Avery is, other people can disagree. We are not talking about an Ovechkin, in which case there is no negative argument to make. I like that he got underneath Brodeur's skin and that he's an entertaining watch, but at some point I'd like to see something more or have him move on.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Kind of Blue

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Love-15

Kind of Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:40 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
I knew I could count on his most rabid supporter to take offense with my statement that his absence hasn't hurt the team recently, but ya gotta admit it's true, albeit over a a few games, you really can't draw any meaningful conclusions.

You think he's a valuable contributor. I don't. Simple disagreement in talent and value appraisal.

While I like Callahan's game a lot, I also feel he is vastly overrated here, as well, but I admit that he offers a good checking presence that can chip in goals here and there. He is worth holding on to, unlike Mr. Avery. Surrounded by a good team, Callahan's worth would become much more important. Now he's wasted. I doubt he'll ever be a major offensive producer, but it could happen.

But almost everyone the Rangers add is immediately overvalued by a desperate fanbase. See Higgins and Lisin and Shelley and so forth.

Callahan is an outstanding support player but not a primary player. This is a team of support players and borderline NHLers. One excellent dman, one excellent, but brittle forward, and one excellent goaltender, would be funny if it wasn't so sad. Hopefully Anisimov and Dubinsky can take steps forward or it will be more of the same next year.

If people can coo about how great Avery is, other people can disagree. We are not talking about an Ovechkin, in which case there is no negative argument to make. I like that he got underneath Brodeur's skin and that he's an entertaining watch, but at some point I'd like to see something more or have him move on.
Of course you can disagree. I just didn't really see much point behind your observation, other than to ruffle feathers.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:50 AM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Comparing Cally to Avery isn't a good one. Cally isn't overrated at all; he's a heart and soul 20G-20A guy who ideally is a second line winger or 3rd liner on a Cup contender. He plays in all situations (excellent on the PK and pretty good as the goalie screener on the PP) He only just turned 25 and if he can comeback has the chance to already be a 2-time 20 goal scorer.

Avery's career high is 18 goals (once!) and he's no spring chicken at 30. HE is a 3rd liner at best who can be used occasionally on special teams.

The truth is that Avery just doesn't mesh with this year's edition and with the new crop of guys developing and coming in, his role and influence will lessen.

I'd try to move him if possible to make room for Weise but truth be told; nobody wants him.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 12:05 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I wasn't really comparing the two. Just mentioning that they've both been absent for some good team games.

I don't know what you mean when you say he doesn't mesh with this year's team.

As far as moving him out for Weise, well, Dale has proven zero. I'm not in favor of moving anyone out to make room for a guy with limited upside that has zero NHL games. And I like Weise.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-04-2010, 12:43 PM
chosen

Quote:
Of course you can disagree. I just didn't really see much point behind your observation, other than to ruffle feathers.
I do enjoy ruffling the feathers of the majority when I disagree with them. Guilty as charged. But it does not change the fact that I think Avery is easily the most overrated Ranger of all. As long as there are threads telling me how good he is, I will post why I disagree.

Same goes for when the majority feels the season would have been oh so much better if it wasn't for whipping boys like Rozy (who most now admit is playing well), Redden, and Drury.

People forget that it is not Redden's or Drury's fault for accepting way more than they are worth, just because there is an imbecile ready to pay them. I have nothing against any player getting as much as he can. The fault for bad contracts rests with Sather, and Sather alone, and all these people who whine about the players are missing the point as to who they should be angry with.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:13 PM
HockeyBurd*

Quote:
But it does not change the fact that I think Avery is easily the most overrated Ranger of all.
Really? That's not the impression you have given. Could you please make another two thousand posts about it. Otherwise nobody will know you feel this way.

HockeyBurd* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:33 PM
chip chipperson*

Quote:

no one said the teams success hinges on avery. at least im not. that being said pointing out how great the team is playing right now while one of their most important players (callahan) is also out doesn't really help your argument at all. you make it sound like you want a team of nothing but goal scorers. avery is a role player, great teams have role players and hes probably the best at his role.

chip chipperson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Really? That's not the impression you have given. Could you please make another two thousand posts about it. Otherwise nobody will know you feel this way.
lol

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
dynamoovechkin

Aves isn't just a superpest in the mold of Ken Linseman, he is a larger than life character that drives other teams to DISTRACTION!

He has blazing speed, and above average instincts for your workaday 3rd liner. I like how he has taken a leadership role this year with his meeting with the team (with Henke), to get us going.

The guy just seems to fit here in NY, and he gives us some personality to fill the void of Chris Milquetoast McDrearington and Wade Flatliner Redden.

He skates, he hits, he fights, he yaps. I know that Torts has to be the show and tries to neuter Sean's outsized personality, but so what? Sean gives what he's got, warts and all, and at the end of the day, is an honest player who plays with heart. He's a keeper- get used to it!

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
dynamoovechkin

Oh, and I forgot to mention his faceguarding of Brodeur! That was classic, you have to admit.

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:20 PM
Gaborik and the King

i think theres been like 3 posts on avery's injury in the whole thread

Gaborik and the King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:12 AM
chosen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBurd View Post
Do you complain to the mod who always posts positives about Avery, also? Why not?

I'm sorry that I annoy you but it's annoying to me to see hundreds of threads about a player who is so vastly overrated. When those threads cease to exist, I won't feel compelled to offer my differing opinion.

Since I don't have a clue who you write about, I can't make a similar comment but as much as I can't stand the overrated nonsense about Avery, it's even more annoying to see 10,000 negative comments about Drury, Redden, and Rozy. Do you whine to all of those posters similarly? If you do, at least you're a consistent sort. If not, why not?