HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Ultimate Depth Chart

Old
04-04-2010, 02:12 PM
cmdevisser

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cmdevisser
Rangers Ultimate Depth Chart

Ok so I'm a little bored a.t.m. and I thought I would take a look at how the re-build is shaping up.

Here's the Ranger's ultimate depth chart as I see it in 3 years:

Kreider--Stepan--Gaborik
Grachev--Anisimov--Dubinsky
Hagelin/Horak--Werek--Callahan
Avery--Boyle/Christensen?--Weise

Staal--Del Zotto
Sanguinetti--Sauer
Girardi--Gilroy

Lundqvist
Johnson

What I really like about this lineup is that it has all of the basic foundations you need to compete for a cup.

1) Size down the middle: Stepan, Anisimov, and Werek are all 6'0 and above, and all three are defensively aware and capable of controlling the puck. Stepan is obviously not a super-physical player, but his game is much better when he is physically involved in the game. Anisimov has a very under-rated physical dimension to his game, and his two-way play is simply phenomenal. Werek is known as a big hitter, and he has the size/style of game to be an effective power forward.

2) Speed on the wings: The combination of Kreider--Stepan--Gaborik should be enough to make anyone drool. Stepan is known for his playmaking ability (although his ability to dangle and score is a very under-rated and under utilized part of his game. His ability to make the outlet pass to guys like Gaborik and Kreider should lead to a lot of easy scoring chances in the future.

When you add in Grachev, Callahan, and Avery to the mix, you have a dangerous amount of speed all over the ice. I feel like Dubinsky is going to develop into an exceptional skater for a guy his size by the time he hits his prime. This team should be filled to the brim with burners by the time our prospects are ready to contribute.

3) Puck control: If you look at the overall size of that group of forwards, you have to be happy with their projected ability to control the puck down low and cycle the puck along the half boards.

4) Outlet passing from the D-men: Del Zotto is only beginning to scratch the surface, Staal is already pretty decent at this, one would think that he'll continue to improve, even if only marginally. Sanguinetti is a good passer, and Gilroy should be able to make up for whatever difficulties he has with his ability to rush the puck. The fact that there is a D-man capable of bringing the puck up ice in all of our projected pairings is exciting.

5)Elite Goaltending--enough said

------------------------------

The most exciting thing about this projected line-up is that we still haven't even begun to add in the players that we will draft in 2010, a draft that seems to have amazing depth and great overall talent. With Gordie Clark running the show you have to think that the Rangers are, for the first time in my lifetime, building toward a contending team that could last a long time.

Ok, well hope my optimism cheers up a few people.

cmdevisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I like it but you never know how FA (cough Kovalchuk/Frolov cough) will play a role in all of this and some guys have setbacks, and some guys pop up out of nowhere (what if Doyle gets his personal stuff together or Valatenko and Pashian come over).

Also, this year's draft could play a huge role.

If they're gonna miss the Dance I'd love to add a Neidereiter/Johansen/Burmistrov to that mix and Werek can play wing.

Out of all of those I doubt Avery, Christensen, Boyle, Sauer are here in 3 seasons.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
If we don't sign a free agent for 3 years I'll give you one million dollars.

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:39 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I'd love to see what Anisimov could do with Werek and Weise/Grachev on his wings. The hockey IQ between Artem and Ethan would be off the charts.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:42 PM
cmdevisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
If we don't sign a free agent for 3 years I'll give you one million dollars.
Well FA signing are unpredictable so I'm not sure how you want me to account for that.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:45 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdevisser View Post
Well FA signing are unpredictable so I'm not sure how you want me to account for that.
True. Not saying you should predict who we will sign, just saying that 1) all these prospects aren't going to devoulp and 2) we aren;t gunna field a lineup only of young/homegrown guys

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:46 PM
iamaranger

Send a message via AIM to iamaranger
no mcdounagh?

iamaranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:50 PM
Garfinkel1

I predict two of Stepan,Krieder,Grachev will be a true top 6. The other one will be a 3rd line guys. It never turns out the way we hope

Garfinkel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:02 PM
Okposofan21

Quote:
True. Not saying you should predict who we will sign, just saying that 1) all these prospects aren't going to devoulp and 2) we aren;t gunna field a lineup only of young/homegrown guys

i agree

Okposofan21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:42 PM
Cherepanisimov

Kabanov-Seguin-Gaborik
Grachev-Anisimov-Zherdev
Kreider-Stepan-Callahan
Weise-Christensen-Prust

Staal-Martin
Sanguinetti-McDonagh
MDZ-Girardi

Lundqvist
Johnson

I know, I know, this probably won't happen. But there's a chance, right? Right?

Cherepanisimov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
cmdevisser

Oh wow--can't believe I forgot McDonaugh. Yeah he'll probably replace Sauer who doesn't seem to be high on the organization's radar

Old
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

someone woke up on the right side of the bed this morning

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

If everyone pans out, itd be nice to see 2 years from now after Drury/Rozy/Avery expires;

Tarasenko-UFA center-Gaborik
Kreider-Stepan-Grachev
Dubinsky-Anisimov-Callahan
Weise-Horak-Byers

Staal-McDonagh
Sauer-MDZ
Sanguinetti-Kundtratek

I'm sure im missing some, dont ram it up my ass

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:11 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
This is an unrealistic fantasy which many people appear to be obsessed with.

Free agency exists for a reason. Unfortunately, our GM likes to abuse the privilege.

You field a lineup full of homegrown players and that means you have a ******** of rookies coming in each season with few vets around to guide them along the way. The OP has Girardi and Gilroy as our eldest defensemen at the age of 28, that's a disaster right there. Veterans aren't a bad thing, you just need to have the right ones.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:20 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I can totally see Frolov or Lilja on this team next year, and maybe if they are able to select Neiderieter, who knows.

Also, I think Hagelin is legit now and could be an outstanding 3rd liner playing against the oppositions best a la John Madden.

Old
04-04-2010, 05:28 PM
Crease

[UFA] - [UFA] - Gaborik
Kreider - Stepan - Dubinsky
Grachev - Anisimov - Callahan

It's impossible to predict the 4th line. Could be guys in Hartford or Waiver picks ups or UFAs. The second line is kind of iffy for me. Three years from now will probably be Kreider and Stepan's sophmore seasons. I don't see them being reliably productive in the NHL yet, but hey, who knows.

Staal - [UFA]
MDZ - [UFA]
McD - Sanguinetti

Lundqvist
Auld/Johnson

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

Hopefully by that point some of Horak, Weise, Werek, Hagelin, or maybe some future draft picks can be a young and cheap 4th line and develop from there.

I'm liking Prust, don't know if he's a long term guy, but maybe he develops and can turn into a poor man's Clarkson.

On D, yes there will definitely be UFAs but I'm hoping at least one of Kundratek and the two Russian dudes playing in the KHL (Valatenko and Pashnian) can join Staal, MDZ and hopefully McD and Sangs.

Old
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Kendo

UFA LW - UFA C - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan
Grachev - Stepan - Any other system forward that emerges and can play RW
Byers - Dupont - Weise

Staal - UFA RD
Del Zotto - Sang/Sauer/Gilroy/Girardi
McDonagh - Sang/Sauer/Gilroy/Girardi
Redden

Nabokov - Johnson

1st Line - We need 1 or 2 more premier forwards to create the 1st line of a contender. Perhaps one of Dubinsky, Grachev, Stepan, Kreider, 1st 2010 really steps up and takes the role, but with my above depth chart there are a ton of forgotten forward prospects such as Kreider, Hagelin, Horak, Bourque, etc. Such depth in prospects could lead to a trade for an established first liner yet not cripple our organization one bit.

2nd line - In 3 years all 3 of these players should be more acclimated to 2nd line duty in particular and the NHL game in general. Still, the dark horses are abundant as stated above.

3rd line - Basically the gems among forwards in the organization. They should both hit the NHL by 2013-2014 (if the world doesn't end, of course).

4th line - All three guys (maybe even Boyle instead of Dupont) are likely depth players at the NHL level by 2012 or 2013.

Defense - Redden is likely on the books still, but I have him as the 7th D just to be fair. Our left side is very strong in general though. Barring a major collapse by one or more of the top 3 LD listed, we could have our core in place for quite some time. The right side gets a little tricky, though. Rozsy will be gone, though for all of the ire he draws, he is the only RD in the organization fit to log the minutes he does. Girardi may stick around, but he has always been best suited for 2nd or 3rd pair responsibility. Gilroy is still an unknown, though he has played the better part of the season in the bigs, and Sangs/Sauer are complete coin flips (I wear slightly blue-tinted goggles, so I would LIKE to take that statement further into the positive, but can't). I think we need one marquee Defenseman added to the core. I'm not THAT rigid on him being right-handed, but would need to play alongside Staal or Dizzy.

Goal - I'm just checking to see whether you were paying attention or not.

Bottom line is we have an abundance of overall talent in the organization and the future looks bright, but I would like to see that talent level divided among fewer players.

For S's and G's:

Kovalchuk - Lecavalier - Gaborik
Dubinsky - Anisimov - Callahan

All of the rest of the forwards can be hodge-podged to account for whoever we sent away to land Cavs. Even if that meant trading Stepan, Grachev, Kreider or whatnot.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:26 PM
Crease

I kind of like the idea of using the third line as an introduction to the NHL for our potential top-six prospects.

For example, when Grachev, Kreider, or Stepan are ready to make the jump, put them on the third line. Let them learn the game without the team depending on them to put up points. Once they prove they can make the jump to the top-six, we should have another prospect or two ready to jump into the NHL on the third line.

Fill in holes in the top six through free-agency and trades if it becomes clear our prospects won't be able to make the jump from the third line.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote