HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL All-Star Skills Competition

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 10:03 AM
Frankie

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl O'Steen
It doesn't matter what you think, he scored 14.776 when most expected far worse. He's not a speed burner, but speed is not a factor for Wellwood. He's not slow, which is the point.
far worse? what does that mean? people were expecting welly's number to be 15+? 16+? how many nhlers go over 15 seconds? in 2002 at the all star game in st.john's, a bantam kid did it in 15.0.

that's the whole problem with this thread. there should have been some predictions before this whole thing happened.

what's the nhl average?

Old
02-14-2005, 11:49 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie
what's the nhl average?
In the NHL ALL STAR COMP .....NOT the AHL mind you..

Event #2 -- Fastest Skater

In 2004
Colorado's Alex Tanguay was best for the West, clocked at 14.773. Minnesota's Filip Kuba came in at 14.791 and Detroit's Pavel Datsyuk was 14.842 ..

In 2003

Western Conference All-Stars Time (seconds)
1. Marian Gaborik, MIN......13.713
2. Sergei Fedorov, DET.....14.443
3. Bill Guerin, DAL............14.213
Eastern Conference All-Stars Time (seconds)
1. Miroslav Satan, BUF..... 14.949
2. Tom Poti, NYR.............14.567
3. Martin St. Louis, TB......14.207

Winning Team (average time): Western Conference (14.123)

In 2002

Western Conference All-Stars Time (seconds)
1. Pavol Demitra, STL.......15.212
2. Sergei Fedorov, DET.....14.201
3. Sami Kapanen, CRL.......14.039
Eastern Conference All-Stars Time (seconds)
1. Mark Parrish, NYI.........15.318
2. Mike York, NYR............14.645
3. Ed Jovanovski, VAN......14.502

Winning Team (average time): World (14.484)
Now is 14.77 by Wellywood compared to NHLers really that much difference ..
Martin St. Louis .. 14.20 .. Thats 1/2 of a Second slower around a whole Areana then the NHL MVP from last year .. Are Demitra and Satan considered slow ??..Look at their times ..
Is that really too slow ??

Old
02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
mooseOAK*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLH
The Leafs homers are out in full force tonight.

I can't even believe you people are saying placement is irrelevant. Time is much less important than placement. Bobsledding tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Speed skating tracks can be "fast" or "slow". Skills competitions are no different.

You would have think that the Laugh fans would have picked up on this when they noted that a few years ago the winning speed from the NHL skills competition would have placed fifth tonight.

Wow, I can't believe that people don't realize that.
The point is really that he was selected to compete in the fastest skater competion in the first place, by people who watch him play more than anyone here.

Old
02-14-2005, 11:55 AM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos
Show me my opinions being wrong on most things. Prove it.
If I proved it ..It would only lead to hurt feelings on your part

No one would want that ... particularly around an All-Star event competition, intended for fun.

Now would we ??

You go right ahead and continue to question the results .. What every rocks your boat .is fine by my ..

but if I am being impartial then in this thread alone it looks like many posters feel you are wrong .. So perhaps right there that is better then your ONE opinion.

Old
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Leaf Army

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing
Anyone care to comment on how Oullet fared tonight?
I like Oulett. I think he'll be an NHLer whenever they get back on the ice. Andy Hilbert too. They're both having good seasons and looked pretty solid their competitions last night.

Old
02-14-2005, 11:58 AM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Messenger
If I proved it ..It would only lead to hurt feelings on your part

No one would want that ... particularly around an All-Star event competition, intended for fun.

Now would we ??
No no...dont try to wiggle your way out of this one. You made a claim, now back it up.

Quote:
You go right ahead and continue to question the results .. What every rocks your boat .is fine by my ..
And you continue to go overboard. Im not questioning the results(I havent claimed timing malfunctions or anything like that...that would be questioning the results). All I mentioned was a POSSIBILITY, and you are making it sound like I said things like 'Wellwood is the worst skater in the world" or "It was definately a fluke".

Old
02-14-2005, 12:00 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
but if I am being impartial then in this thread alone it looks like many posters feel you are wrong .. So perhaps right there that is better then your ONE opinion.
You being impartial in a discussion about Wellwood. Thats a good one. And what exactly do "many posters" feel I am wrong about? Please, enlighten me as to this claim you seem to think I have made.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:01 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Um? Jokinen is still in the Finnish Leagues correct? And Koivu, unless somehow that is a body double, is playing in the AHL correct? And Koivu, by all means, looks like he has adjusted well to his new life in the AHL by scoring 14 goals and 14 assists in what? 40 games? Less than that? I believe now that is 36 games...So 28 points in 36 games...That's around .78 points PER game, that is not shabby...If he played the entire season I could have seen around a 60 point production from him...

How is that bad?

Old
02-14-2005, 12:02 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoobieDoobieDo
Um? Jokinen is still in the Finnish Leagues correct? And Koivu, unless somehow that is a body double, is playing in the AHL correct? And Koivu, by all means, looks like he has adjusted well to his new life in the AHL by scoring 14 goals and around 14-15 assists in what? 40 games? Less than that?

How is that bad?
Never said it was bad. Like I said, my little signature isnt a knock on Koivu. Just like saying something like Lidstrom>Zubov isnt a knock on Zubov(not the greatest comparison, but hopefully you can see my point).

Old
02-14-2005, 12:03 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Well to me it feels like a knock because you are basing one player's development to another, and they have LITTLE to NOTHING in common...

Old
02-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Well to me it feels like a knock because you are basing one player's development to another, and they have LITTLE to NOTHING in common...
Aside from the fact that they both played in the same league at the same time for 3 years, they dont have a whole lot in common, you're right. One's a goalscorer, one's a playmaker.

Btw....who is that in your avatar? From the looks of things, I'd guess its Taffe after he ran over Harding .

Old
02-14-2005, 12:09 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

So why the hell are you comparing them?

Old
02-14-2005, 12:12 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
So why the hell are you comparing them?
Im not sure where this is going. All Im saying is that from what I've seen of both players, its just my opinion that Jokinen is a better player than Koivu. No knock on Koivu however, as he is a very solid player in his own right, and has in fact played better than I thought he would this year in the AHL.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:17 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

But why the hell are you comparing them? They have NOTHING in common except they were developed in the same league!

That's like saying Gonchar > Hatcher...

Koivu is a playmaking center that has shown flashes of goalscoring ability. He is also bigger than Jokinen.

Jokinen is a sniper, who is smaller than Koivu...

I just don't see WHERE the hell you get the comparison!

Old
02-14-2005, 12:18 PM
Leaf Army

Quote:
And you continue to go overboard. Im not questioning the results(I havent claimed timing malfunctions or anything like that...that would be questioning the results). All I mentioned was a POSSIBILITY, and you are making it sound like I said things like 'Wellwood is the worst skater in the world" or "It was definately a fluke".
Then why are you still talking about it? This conversation should be long over.

Pretty much the extent of the Leaf fans opinions expressed in this thread is that Wellwood doesn't suck. That's basically it.

But of course we then get people calling us "homers" only to remind us that Wellwood does in fact suck.

We've heard a bunch of stupid excuses and whether you like to admit it or not, you seem to be standing up for them. If you're not, then let it go and stop talking about it.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:19 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
You being impartial in a discussion about Wellwood. Thats a good one. And what exactly do "many posters" feel I am wrong about? Please, enlighten me as to this claim you seem to think I have made.
Biased !!!!!!!!!...

I took results from a timed event that I had nothing to do with or influence on ..and compared it to actual others including NHLers in an All-Star event .. and the results speak for themselves ..

I am sorry you have a problem with that .. not sure how you are going to get over it .. but I am sure you will find a way ..

My Favourite NHL team really has no relevance to the results of a AHL event ..but perhaps this could be added to your ever increasing wrong opinions ..

Or I will stand corrected if you think I effected the outcome from the West coast and a different country to boot of the results to make me biased ..

But this is news to me and I never imagined for one minute I had those kinds of powers ..

Old
02-14-2005, 12:21 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaf Army
Then why are you still talking about it? This conversation should be long over.

Pretty much the extent of the Leaf fans opinions expressed in this thread is that Wellwood doesn't suck. That's basically it.

But of course we then get people calling us "homers" only to remind us that Wellwood does in fact suck.

We've heard a bunch of stupid excuses and whether you like to admit it or not, you seem to be standing up for them. If you're not, then let it go and stop talking about it.
I only continue talking about it because Im defending myself from the exaggerations of The Messenger. But, its done, so maybe we can get this thread back on topic now .

Old
02-14-2005, 12:22 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
Biased !!!!!!!!!...

I took results from a timed event that I had nothing to do with or influence on ..and compared it to actual others including NHLers in an All-Star event .. and the results speak for themselves ..

I am sorry you have a problem with that .. not sure how you are going to get over it .. but I am sure you will find a way ..

My Favourite NHL team really has no relevance to the results of a AHL event ..but perhaps this could be added to your ever increasing wrong opinions ..

Or I will stand corrected if you think I effected the outcome from the West coast and a different country to boot of the results to make me biased .. But this is news to me an never imagined for one minute I had those kinds of powers ..
Look man. All I said is that it is possible it was a one time thing, and you go off exaggerating stuff. Im through with you, as its just wasting mine and everyone else's time to go back and forth on this(everyone else because they have to sift through all of this). if you want to keep rambling, go right ahead.

Old
02-14-2005, 12:25 PM
Chaos
3, 2, 1

Quote:
But why the hell are you comparing them? They have NOTHING in common except they were developed in the same league!

That's like saying Gonchar > Hatcher...

Koivu is a playmaking center that has shown flashes of goalscoring ability. He is also bigger than Jokinen.

Jokinen is a sniper, who is smaller than Koivu...

I just don't see WHERE the hell you get the comparison!
First off, Gonchar and Hatcher is a horrible comparison. We are talking about 2 offensive forwards here. Thats where the comparison is from. I think you are getting too worked up over my signature. Just stop reading it if you dont like it .

Old
02-14-2005, 12:37 PM
HockeyGoddess

Since you folks can't play nice, this thread is being closed. Take your pissing contests OFF the board, please.

Closed Thread