HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames vs. Avs | 7:30 MT | April 2nd | The Hunters vs. The Stumblers

Old
04-03-2010, 01:52 PM
StanGetz*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anderson View Post
As a goalie myself, I think one of two things happened:
1) He thought he had his left angle covered, which was a miscalculation by inches.
2) He led him on with a lazy right strafe and wanted him to take the glove side bait, to which he either wasn't fast enough, the shooter shot unexpectedly, or Dawes held it just long enough to get in a better position and used Anderson's awkward stance to his advantage.

Or all of the above.
I think you're over analyzing it a bit here. All Anderson needed to do was slide to the post. When you move laterally, you always drive through the post, it's the shortest distance to cut off angles. He was sliding around the top of the crease, which is why he slid off to the right waaay to far. Just drive to the post, it's one of the most fundamental techniques in the game today. Not sure why he's so aggressive.

Of course in practice, it's much easier than the intense moment of the game. Still, that kind of technique should be drilled into his brain right now.

Here's a little MS paint visual aid, made by me! Black is what Andy did, red is what should have happened!

How's that for anal retentive.

Last edited by StanGetz*: 04-03-2010 at 01:57 PM.
StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 03:50 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsboy View Post
You stick with six consistent d-men!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You stick with Quincey, even if he sucks for a bit.

I guess you were a fan of quenneville's goalie carousel, eh?
Get 6 consistent d-men and I agree with you. Really, take a deep breath and look at what we have to work with. We were trying to turn lead into gold. Sacco is good and he tried but his alchemy is still freshmen level.

NWAvsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 03:59 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWAvsFan View Post
Get 6 consistent d-men and I agree with you. Really, take a deep breath and look at what we have to work with. We were trying to turn lead into gold. Sacco is good and he tried but his alchemy is still freshmen level.
You can't be an alchemist this late in the season. You take the six who have proven to be the best, and trade the rest. Why the avs couldn't trade anyone is absolutely beyond me.

Avsboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 05:01 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
You can't be an alchemist this late in the season. You take the six who have proven to be the best, and trade the rest. Why the avs couldn't trade anyone is absolutely beyond me.
His real option beyond some sort of grand chemistry experiment was to accept status quo and let a couple of dmen ride the pine. You can "what if" this to death but our defense is and has been horrible. Sacco was working desperately to try to improve a very lackluster squad. He didn't do it and maybe he tinkered too much and cost us a couple of points (I think that is debatable but probably a fair place to land in a discussion.)

The bottom line is that the group stunk when they were playing regularly and Andy bailed them out. They also stunk in a rotation and Andy didn't bail them out so much. I don't think the play of the group changed that much and therefore am not too willing to lay the blame at Sacco's feet on this one.

The Liles situation is a little bit of a head scratcher from an asset management standpoint but given that he had a very similar go-around with Q and he went through two trade deadlines with no takers I am beginning to think there are problems with him that won't go away.

Bottom line is that Sacco made some mistakes this season but holding his feet to the fire for some dman juggling late in the season is not sensible. Implying he should be fired is downright ridiculous.

Old
04-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Adama0905

Quote:
Too bad there isn't a single defenseman on this team who has proven to be the best consistently, huh? Every single one of them has swung from top four to number eight at some point this season. Except maybe Hannan.

Adama0905 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 05:54 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adama0905 View Post
Too bad there isn't a single defenseman on this team who has proven to be the best consistently, huh? Every single one of them has swung from top four to number eight at some point this season. Except maybe Hannan.
Salei's been the worst. But at some point a coach has to draw the line. If he couldn't decide by talent, he should have played 6 consistently based on their asset-values. Meaning you don't sit Quincey or Liles since they're both on this team next year.

The act of rotating a D corps is more detrimental to a team than playing any one poor defenseman.

Old
04-03-2010, 06:22 PM
shadow1

vCash: 1210
Quote:
Salei's been the worst.
Ironic that you say that now when you said a few games before the deadline that Salei needs to be in the line-up. How can you complain about management not trading him when you were pretty vocal about how good he was?

EDIT: Seeing as I need a leg to stand on, I found the posts:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=132
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=141
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=181

Last edited by shadow1: 04-03-2010 at 06:30 PM.
shadow1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:25 PM
ABasin
SelkeCaliber Defense

Quote:
I wholly agree. Clark or Salei should have been shipped.

But, that's not on Sacco.

-AB

ABasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:29 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
Who's to say they didn't try and nobody wanted them. They aren't exactly making peanuts, nor are they very good. I doubt anyone wanted Salei who had played a grand total of maybe 2 NHL games and was coming off back surgery, or Clark who makes 3.5 million and was often a healthy scratch.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 06:32 PM
NWAvsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABasin View Post

-AB
Salei was an unknown because of injury and I am not sure Clark what could have been moved for. I suppose even a 4th would have been OK if anyone would have given it. The last two trade deadlines have been bizarre though. I would really love to hear what the GM's discussed.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:11 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow1 View Post
Ironic that you say that now when you said a few games before the deadline that Salei needs to be in the line-up. How can you complain about management not trading him when you were pretty vocal about how good he was?

EDIT: Seeing as I need a leg to stand on, I found the posts:

http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=132
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=141
http://hfboards.com/showpost.php?p=2...&postcount=181
Yep I said that...I even prepared for someone bringing that up.

Simply put, I said that after his first game or two. After that my opinion of him soured quickly. If I were Sacco, I'd have benched him by the 5th game.

Old
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
StanGetz*

Quote:

Simply put, I said that after his first game or two. After that my opinion of him soured quickly. If I were Sacco, I'd have benched him by the 5th game.
That's why you don't formulate opinions based on small sample sizes .

StanGetz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:14 PM
Bonzai12

vCash: 767
Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I still like Salei as a player. But I think his body has broken down. Which I'm kind of disappointed about I think his skillset would have been great for this team.

Bonzai12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 07:15 PM
Avsboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
That's why you don't formulate opinions based on small sample sizes .
Touche

Old
04-03-2010, 07:46 PM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott76 View Post
I still like Salei as a player. But I think his body has broken down. Which I'm kind of disappointed about I think his skillset would have been great for this team.
Agree. I was a big fan of his before we traded for him. He has had health issues the entire time he spent in Denver. He would be a good veteran to keep if we could get him at a cheap rate, and would be easy to move at the deadline. I thought teams would have tried to get him this deadline. He is really versatile.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 12:47 AM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bohlmeister View Post
Agree. I was a big fan of his before we traded for him. He has had health issues the entire time he spent in Denver. He would be a good veteran to keep if we could get him at a cheap rate, and would be easy to move at the deadline. I thought teams would have tried to get him this deadline. He is really versatile.
Salei is done. Cooked. Finished.

He has no gas left in the tank. Foote I think has more left in him than Salei, and even he doesn't have much left.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:04 AM
shadow1

Quote:

That's because you always flip flop your opinion, and blow small details out of proportion. Claiming you were prepared for someone to bring it up doesn't change my point, which is you can't rip management or Sacco in hindsight because at the trade deadline you were animate about how important he was to the team.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:08 AM
shadow1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post

He has no gas left in the tank. Foote I think has more left in him than Salei, and even he doesn't have much left.
I think his flaws are only really noticeable because he's had to log too much ice time thanks to our mediocrity, and I bet if he were on a team like Nashville or Detroit, he'd be a solid third pairing option.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:25 AM
bohlmeister
$$ For Sale $$

vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post

Come on man. Foote does not have anymore left. Salei has been injured all season long with a back injury.

bohlmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:36 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Sorry. You don't rotate eight defensemen. You don't sit Quincey. You don't sit Liles on and off. You don't play Salei, who stinks and hadn't played for months. You don't do these things....especially not at this time. THAT was Sacco's biggest mistake....followed by Anderson.

Listen. It's not Sacco's fault 100%. But his gaffs definitely lost us the playoffs. Without them, this d core would have stopped at least a few more goals.

The Flames game was good coaching. The d was well selected, and, frankly, the Flames game was a good one we could have won. But the Phoenix game. The Canucks game. The LA games. Anaheim.....all messes and huge losses. Its Sacco's fault for screwing up the d core.
I agree but, in his defense, none of our defensemen are ready for what he wants from them, none of them are top guys and don't seem to know what to do when the other team just cycles it. From what i see, Sacco is just trying to mix it up and take on all the responsibility himself for why they aren't playing well. He might be taking on too much responsibility cause whatever happens he gets flak for and he knows it (just ask our last two coaches).

So, I think he's trying to do it all himself, but by doing that, is actually making a mistake in rotating defensemen.

He also admitted to deciding who to fit in on the back end against the next team. But I also think he's trying to see which he wants to keep and which he wants to dump in t he offseason.

AyVee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 01:43 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGetz View Post
I think you're over analyzing it a bit here. All Anderson needed to do was slide to the post. When you move laterally, you always drive through the post, it's the shortest distance to cut off angles. He was sliding around the top of the crease, which is why he slid off to the right waaay to far. Just drive to the post, it's one of the most fundamental techniques in the game today. Not sure why he's so aggressive.

Of course in practice, it's much easier than the intense moment of the game. Still, that kind of technique should be drilled into his brain right now.

Here's a little MS paint visual aid, made by me! Black is what Andy did, red is what should have happened!

How's that for anal retentive.
Lol! that's funny. But no, you're right, i do tend to be too analytical at times. But I was talking from personal experiences... which is also linked to my overthinking. Maybe I should simplify my game as a goalie and I'll play better

Old
04-04-2010, 01:52 PM
AyVee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jailbait View Post

The problem offensivley is that two of our best goal scorers are not scoring right now. Neither one of them are going to the net often enough. Stewart seems to have confused his role w/Staz as he seems to now like situating himself in the corner for the pass, and Duchene has reverted to perimeter player mode. Seriously, Duchene is at WW level right now. The only way he's getting chances is by his speed. He's not taking it to the net, he's dancing around w/the puck on the outside. Not good enough.The biggest problem with the avs is were not getting good enough efforts from our best scorers.
It could be that he's trying to play likewise to compliment his playing style. Staz pretty much leads tthat line, and if he's not being aggressive enough, Stew and TJ are gonna be left alone a lot. Stastny seems to be playing extremely defensive with a passive-aggressive forecheck that plugs the neutral zone.
I'm not sure if that's stastny though or Sacco, or both.