HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Will Osgood be here next year??

Old
04-04-2010, 02:04 PM
smtevo

vCash: 500
Will Osgood be here next year??

Is it possible to buy-out this chump next year? Maybe trade him for some nice sticks?

smtevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:10 PM
YzermanWings19

That chump is of the main reasons we are Two-time defending Western Conference Champions, so ****.

YzermanWings19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:13 PM
smtevo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YzermanWings19 View Post
That chump is of the main reasons we are Two-time defending Western Conference Champions, so ****.
So your going to hang on to that for how long?

smtevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:26 PM
Yemack

He wasn't 'the' reason Wings lost but he never really made me confident even when he made a save. He kinda settled down towards the end though. He was fighting for it half way through the game.

All in all, he wasn't that terrible today... by meaning, he didn't collapse spectacularly. I guess that in itself is a bit of feel good story.

I went to LGW and someone over there was saying Ozzie's last 10 record is 1-7-2.. with only 1 or 2 with depleted line up. You don't need stats to know Howard is so far ahead of Ozzie this year but obviously he needs to be better than that next year.

If he pulls the same record starting next year, and assuming Howard is still going strong next season, you can bet next season will be Ozzie's last in NHL. I even doubt he will be able to finish the year if it were to happen.

Yemack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:31 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
I think he stays for the final year of his contract, see's maybe 15-20 games next year and Howard's regime continues. No point in bringing up Larsson to only start 15-25 games when he has not completely domianted the AHL either (Hey, I can use that argument since everyone kept saying it about Howard and I got **** ) He's cheap and we might as well use it. Larsson can continue to get a ton of starts in the AHL and work his tail off.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
gamefan14*

Mod: deleted.

Osgood used to be a solid goaltender, he's still not terrible but the years havn't been kind to him, he has 1 year left before he will probobly retire so respect is in order, as this man brought detroit fans 3 cups.

Last edited by Fugu: 04-04-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: don't make it personal
gamefan14* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yemack View Post
He wasn't 'the' reason Wings lost but he never really made me confident even when he made a save. He kinda settled down towards the end though. He was fighting for it half way through the game.

All in all, he wasn't that terrible today... by meaning, he didn't collapse spectacularly. I guess that in itself is a bit of feel good story.

I went to LGW and someone over there was saying Ozzie's last 10 record is 1-7-2.. with only 1 or 2 with depleted line up. You don't need stats to know Howard is so far ahead of Ozzie this year but obviously he needs to be better than that next year.

If he pulls the same record starting next year, and assuming Howard is still going strong next season, you can bet next season will be Ozzie's last in NHL. I even doubt he will be able to finish the year if it were to happen.
Ozzy started awful today, but honestly by the third period I thought he looked good.

Jimmy is still absolutely the starter, but it'd be nice if Ozzy could pick up his play next start he gets with where it left off this game. Maybe then he could be a reliable backup for Jimmy next year.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

argubaly 2 maybe 3 of Phillys goals 2 day were soft espcially the Carcillo goal. We easily win with Howard in net.

But in regards to the topic he prolly be back next year, I'd welcome an upgrade 4 sure if possible say Niitymaki or Ellis, especially if Howard has a Mason-esque sophomore slump i dont want Ozzy. He was great 4 us in 3 cup runs(won 2) but the past is the past and he is **** now i know he was **** last yr be4 playoffs but Howie is the playoff starter anyway and i think Ozzy is done

Big Poppa Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:53 PM
MrSandMan*

Osgood looked much better as the game went on. I was impressed with his level of play in the 3rd. I hope after Wings clinch the PO, he get's the rest of the starts.

And to be honest, I would consider starting Osgood for the playoffs if his conditioning continues to progress.

Osgood will be here next season, he is under contract after all.

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:17 PM
ArGarBarGar
Global Moderator
Defense Please

The fact that Osgood improved as the game went on after his first start in two months should tell you something.

ArGarBarGar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Motown Beatdown
Need a slump buster

vCash: 450
He's gonna be here for one simple reason.....the salary cap

Since he's over 35 when he signed his contract the only way to get rid of his salary off the cap is to trade him. If he retires or is waived we are stuck with a cap hit. And who in their right mind is gonna deal for him?

Motown Beatdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:55 PM
digitaljohn
Arnold Palmer LITE

I think he'd do a fine job as a backup next year if he works with the right mentality in the offseason and the team isn't put in position where he doesn't play for months.

digitaljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
SirKillalot

vCash: 390
Watch out! If Howard fails, we will see Post-season Osgood. And, that won't be pretty for the other teams.

SirKillalot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Harold Snepsts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustWingIt19 View Post
He's gonna be here for one simple reason.....the salary cap

Since he's over 35 when he signed his contract the only way to get rid of his salary off the cap is to trade him. If he retires or is waived we are stuck with a cap hit. And who in their right mind is gonna deal for him?
This.

Even people who hate Ozzy should be rooting for him to play well, so either he'd be a good backup or trade bait.

Harold Snepsts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
ChadS

I'm happy for him to getting his game together after that first dreadful Carcillo goal, but I think it would be a total kick in Jimmy's gut if Ozzie got to start in to post season. He's just been bad this season, he got his chance in the beginnig but couldn't perform. Jimmy has been great this season and he deserves to be the starter in the playoffs.

Babcock already lost us the win tonight by playing Ozzie, PLEASE don't lose our chance for the Cup!

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:22 PM
redwings85
In Ozzie I trust.

I can't believe the people on here pinning the loss on him...

he did get a piece of the Carcillo goal after all... that was a total breakdown on the defense end... the other goal... a 4 on 2? like COME ON thats seriously goal written over it... if Bert didn't fial... that goal wouldnt have happened. Then that one goal... where Lebda was totally out of position... left a wide open asham.

The wings looked very sloppy this afternoon... and didnt help Ozzie imo, 2 goals he was left to dry total breakdowns...
Wings did have spurts where they were solid, and should have won the game hands down... but where they couldnt cap... Flyers did...

We clinched a playoff spot, we should be happy... we ALL should know this by now... usually when we clinch a playoff spot... we dont play the 'greatest' of hockey... we always just play like we are practicing game in game out, to rest our stars for when playoff time starts.

And we should know... we ALWAYS play like ****... when we play a team we SHOULD win no matter what.

Last edited by redwings85: 04-04-2010 at 07:35 PM.
redwings85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:41 PM
ZDH

no way in hell Babcock is going to give the nod to Osgood to start the playoffs...and I don't blame him, Howard earned it, deserves it, and is way better

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:51 PM
FissionFire

Barring some team throwing a "can't refuse" trade at Holland, Osgood will be here next year and will retire after next season.

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:01 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwings85 View Post
I can't believe the people on here pinning the loss on him...

he did get a piece of the Carcillo goal after all... that was a total breakdown on the defense end... the other goal... a 4 on 2? like COME ON thats seriously goal written over it... if Bert didn't fial... that goal wouldnt have happened. Then that one goal... where Lebda was totally out of position... left a wide open asham.
Your being reality, stop it.

Everyone who said Howard would have won this game is incredibly nieve. Howie would have played the 2-0 goal exactly the same, because thats how it should be played. Not the goalies job to take the pass away, unless Ozzy is in. They should go right back to him, and have him ready to bail Jimmy out if and when need be come playoffs.

People act like we have never allowed a goal on the first shot of a period, talk about short term memory loss.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:35 PM
nik jr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marky9er View Post
Your being reality, stop it.

Everyone who said Howard would have won this game is incredibly nieve. Howie would have played the 2-0 goal exactly the same, because thats how it should be played. Not the goalies job to take the pass away, unless Ozzy is in. They should go right back to him, and have him ready to bail Jimmy out if and when need be come playoffs.

People act like we have never allowed a goal on the first shot of a period, talk about short term memory loss.
i doubt howard would have saved the 2nd goal but he would not have played it the same way.

he would not have been as far outside his crease, and would have been able to move once the pass was made.

i am slightly surprised anyone is defending carcillo's goal.

nik jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:01 PM
mottjm7

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i doubt howard would have saved the 2nd goal but he would not have played it the same way.

he would not have been as far outside his crease, and would have been able to move once the pass was made.

i am slightly surprised anyone is defending carcillo's goal.
I was thinking this when it happened too. Not that I am an expert, and sure you cant play the pass as a goalie but you have to remain in position to make an attempt when the puck was passed. Osgood did not play the 4-2 well. Its not like Timonen deflected the pass to the perfect spot, it was center of the net.

mottjm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:22 PM
Reality Check

People just need a scapegoat ala Lang, Lilja, Osgood, Lebda, Samuelsson etc..

For a guy who hasn't played in forever, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

And, for the record, I think Osgood will retire at the end of this season.

Reality Check is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
CC Chiefs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reality Check View Post
People just need a scapegoat ala Lang, Lilja, Osgood, Lebda, Samuelsson etc..

For a guy who hasn't played in forever, I'm not sure what you were expecting.

And, for the record, I think Osgood will retire at the end of this season.
He still has 1 year left.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Osgood looked much better as the game went on. I was impressed with his level of play in the 3rd. I hope after Wings clinch the PO, he get's the rest of the starts.

And to be honest, I would consider starting Osgood for the playoffs if his conditioning continues to progress.

Osgood will be here next season, he is under contract after all.
He looked better in the 2nd because they started playing defense and he didn't see any tough shots. When the defense **** its pants again in the 3rd, Ozzie looked like Ozzie again.

There's no way to pin the entire loss on Ozzie with the way the defense played, but there's also no way to say Ozzie played even reasonably well. He stunk. So did the defense.

And you're right, he'll be here next season.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
He still has 1 year left.
I think RC's point was that Ozzie might rather retire than sit on the bench for 70 out of 82 games next season. I hadn't thought about it, but he might be right.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote