HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Locke to Hartford, Dale Weise recalled to NY

Old
04-04-2010, 02:52 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
just wondering how many ppl were clamoring for Locke to get a chance only to see him fall flat on his face....now Weise will be Averys replacement before he ever steps onto an NHL rink?

*sigh*

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:54 PM
haveandare

Awesome! Locke didn't show too much, I like that they're giving other guys a shot. Can't wait to see Weise play, I've heard so many good things.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:04 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osminator View Post
Dude, I was just kidding

Weise is a winger, plays hard, goes to dirty areas, scores and sets up on a permanent basis, is a hard-hitter, quick skater, has 5 SH goals, hard worker, likes to collect misconducts for giving the ref an earful and will drop 'em if needed. He even wore the "A" a couple of times this season if i recall correctly.

A lot of fans here that look beyond the plate (i.e. the Wolf Pack) think he's had a great season in the AHL and believe he deserves a shot in the NHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
He is a hard-working forward who will drop the gloves if need be and is a great team-player. He can PK and is a North-South NA power forward. If I had to pick a player who he resembles on the Rangers right now I would Say Callahan with a little less offensive ability and more size/strength. Both are great team-players and get in on the forecheck to reek havoc.

I would put his ceiling at a 3rd line winger who will drive hard to the net and control play down low while being able to contribute to the PK and drop the gloves.
Thanks guys, very informative. Sorry Oz, was just looking for info, and that was quite in-depth, Thanks.

WOW! Now I'm excited! Can't have enough Cally's and Prust's on this team. Should fit right in along side Drury and Voros.

Last edited by ohbaby: 04-04-2010 at 03:16 PM.
ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Ranger Angst

Sounds like a character guy - can't have too many of those. So most people seem to be comparing him to Cally ; is his speed similar ?

Ranger Angst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:27 PM
XLJ

Rangers have a pretty tough team with Weise, Shelley, Prust, Voros all in the lineup. I hope they play real physical against the sabres.

XLJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:46 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleeding RangerBlue View Post
Sounds like a character guy - can't have too many of those. So most people seem to be comparing him to Cally ; is his speed similar ?
A little bit slower but you have to remember that he is quite a bit bigger. He has the same attitude though, get in, knock some people around, work hard and drive to the net.

Also, people have to understand that the guy will drop the gloves if need be but he still is going to have a learning curve once he hits the NHL in terms of fighting. He will eventually be able to drop them as a middle-weight but he is no where near ready to replace a top-5 middle-weight in the league like Prust.

Weise----> 6'2 210
Callahan----> 5'11 185

At least 3 inches and 25lbs of difference between the two and Weise is still growing into his body as he is 3 years younger.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:57 PM
smoneil

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
Yeah, that's it the taxi squad. And he did come from that squad when he scored.

I started calling them The New Mutants for all you comic dorks out there.
Would that make them the Hartford Wolfsbane Pack?

smoneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:22 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
just wondering how many ppl were clamoring for Locke to get a chance only to see him fall flat on his face....now Weise will be Averys replacement before he ever steps onto an NHL rink?

*sigh*
Seriously.

I've never seen a potential 4th liner overrated as much before he's even played an NHL game then Weise.

Well actually Byers is pretty damn overrated as well.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

dale is another 3rd line type. too talented to be relegated to the 4th line, lacking enough finesse to be a regular 2nd liner.

hes got a great frame and a good strong motor. hes a gamer.

hes got dubinski size plus some, hes got callahans spunk, and i would say hes got underrated hands and a pretty wicked shot.

see too me, hes like sean avery on steroids. dude can fight too and play some high energy hockey but again,es not a top 6 player.

problem is, weve got alot of those guys already and hes just more of the same. another reason we go to war each night with 2 3rd lines. each time we add another guy like this, we need to eliminate someone or we are further reducing our overall talent level.

hes a sure torts guy too. everything torts likes is what this guy does. hes like the perfect prototypical torts player.

but before we give him a spot, lets see how he reacts to the speed of the nhl.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
Kendo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
Seriously.

I've never seen a potential 4th liner overrated as much before he's even played an NHL game then Weise.

Well actually Byers is pretty damn overrated as well.
Overrated is an easy word to throw around 'round these parts.

Ryan Callahan is an elite 3rd liner, so people who pencil him in as a 2nd liner are "drinking the kool-aid" and highly overrating him. The bottom line is, he is a very capable "middle 6" player.

Byers and Weise are in a similar situation. They were both drafted to be bottom 6 players, but they certainly have to potential to be elite ones. I've been to a couple of Wolfpack games this year and Dane and Dale just run rampant against that level of competition. They've both been a step behind PA and Locke statistically, but you're talking about two older, one-dimensional players that are quite possibly AHL lifers. Byers and Weise are probable NHL 4th liners that, this year especially, are showing more than just a glimpse of becoming even more.

Now, I'm not one of those people to propose a first line of Grachev - Anisimov - Gaborik in 2012, but I could easily see both of these players finishing next season as 4th line staples. Since Avery is pretty much a middle 6er, it's quite possible that one of Byers or Weise could replace him...in three years when his contract is up and they start coming into their own.

Kendo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:09 PM
Hanke
Tortsless Rangers

what type of player is Weise.

Hanke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
Think Gordie Howe...only better.

Inferno is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:41 PM
ohbaby

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 View Post
Also, people have to understand that the guy will drop the gloves if need be but he still is going to have a learning curve once he hits the NHL in terms of fighting.
I don't think we need to worry about him dropping the gloves, with Voros going at it on the opening faceoff. And with Prust going at it, every chance he gets, it's no wonder we haven't seen more of Shelly who is supposed to be our #1 enforcer. Weise will have to take a number.

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
dale is another 3rd line type. too talented to be relegated to the 4th line, lacking enough finesse to be a regular 2nd liner.
problem is, weve got alot of those guys already and hes just more of the same.
IMO you can't have enough of these guys. Think about it. This is the team we have, the team we need, the kind of team that succeeds in the playoffs. A north south, crash the net, hard forechecking team. Our success of late illustrates this point. All our goals are the dirty type with a few exceptions. Going to the net, strong on the forecheck, creating traffic infront. We will never be the Caps or Pitt with tic-tac-toe plays. Look at the strength of our forwards. Dubi, Cally, Drury, Avery, Prust, Prospel, Shelly, Voros, Boyle, Anisimov. All hard working, grinding type players. None of them are gonna wow you with their talent. Even Gabby works hard and throws his body. This is the NYR's. And if all the reports are correct, this kid Dale Weise, should fit right in.

ohbaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:56 PM
ruckus*

So when Weise gets 6, 8, and 4 minutes of ice time and does nothing people will write him off like Locke, right?

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:04 PM
N9Y4R
Bleed Blue

A well deserved call-up.

N9Y4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:20 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by robruckus View Post
So when Weise gets 6, 8, and 4 minutes of ice time and does nothing people will write him off like Locke, right?
no, they'll make excuses for him because he's got fanboys, where as Locke doesn't.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:27 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
no, they'll make excuses for him because he's got fanboys, where as Locke doesn't.

Yeah see I don't disagree with them, because Locke didn't do much. But as someone else mentioned he's a scorer basically. You're not really going to notice him unless he has ice time and has a chance to make plays. I'm not going to rip the guy. He barely got a chance.

I'm excited to see Weise but I'm not going to freak out and act like he outperformed Locke because he runs into a few guys or drops the gloves. That's HIS game. I expect him to do that.

ruckus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
trilobyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Plains Batman View Post
If it comes down to the home and home with the Flyers, hopefully he can cause some havoc.
From watching the Flyers today beating the Wings, I was thinking the same thing.
Count me as someone who has hear the many positives about him, but has not seen him play. I'm really looking forward to it, because it's that kind of grit (if he's careful about penalties) that is required down this stretch.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:09 PM
pwoz

Taylor Hall!

pwoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
Dagoon44

Send a message via AIM to Dagoon44 Send a message via Yahoo to Dagoon44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaborik Scores View Post
Think Callahan with more size. He will have to work for every point but he will hustle his butt off. Not a good fighter but he tries

Dagoon44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:46 PM
Vitto79

Nice to see, Weise obviously has more of a future with the team. Maybe for once they won't sign guys like Voros and Rissmiller and give the kids a shot next yr full time. Seems like Byers is down on the depth chart now

So who's the 4th line C now?. Avery, Boyle, Cally hurt still I imagine

I don't get who plays C unless Weise does and I am just missing something

Vitto79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:10 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Nice to see, Weise obviously has more of a future with the team. Maybe for once they won't sign guys like Voros and Rissmiller and give the kids a shot next yr full time. Seems like Byers is down on the depth chart now

So who's the 4th line C now?. Avery, Boyle, Cally hurt still I imagine

I don't get who plays C unless Weise does and I am just missing something
Depending on which line you consider the 4th line, it's Drury or Anisimov.

Voros-Drury-Weise
Shelley-Anisimov-Prust

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:57 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I've seen Weise play a couple of times for the Rangers in preseason and for Hartford.

One thing I really liked about his game in the preseason game two years ago was he kept pushing the puck deep in the O zone using his size. Even if he didn't have a play to make, he used his size and strength to bulldoze his way in. It wasn't always pretty, but doing that keeps the puck away from his zone, tires out the other Dmen, and can start the cycle.

In the AHL game vs. Bridgeport the Pack had a lackluster first period so he started a fight with one of the Sound Tigers goon at the end of the first period. It was pretty silly, but he got the Pack going and the crowd into it.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:59 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
Depending on which line you consider the 4th line, it's Drury or Anisimov.

Voros-Drury-Weise
Shelley-Anisimov-Prust

They're really both 4th lines until Callahan and Avery come back.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 AM
eco's bones

I think we'll see Callahan back before the regular season is over. I'm not so sure about Avery. Seems to me last year we finished the season with back to backs against the Flyers and Avery played a large part in both wins. Anyway I like the idea of Weise getting a shot here. He's had a very good season and he will add some more physicality to the bottom lines--seems to me if you're going into the playoffs which seems less a longshot now--he is more of a guy that you could go to war with than Locke. I agree with Dagoon that there's room for improvement as far as fighting goes. He is willing though and he should be able to knock in the odd goal while being strong along the boards and in the corners.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote