HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers had done deal for Stamkos

Old
04-04-2010, 07:34 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
I doubt this was a true story.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:46 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of Özil

Well, remember when it was reported on TSN and other news sites that Brian Lawton sent out a memo to all 29 teams around the middle of last season that HE was the only one who they should be talking to about trades with the Lightning?

I thought it was well known that there was turmoil in the TBL front office last year and GMs were talking trades with Barrie. Lawton put a public end to that.

So I wouldn't doubt that Sather was talking trades with Barrie.

Draft Guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:30 PM
BwayBshirt

I agree with the above.

People don't realize how ****ed up the Lightning's hierarchy has been dating back to early 2008. It's been a mess. And the Lightning have had some really ****** owners in their brief history safe the only one who brought them a Stanley Cup; may he RIP.

I don't doubt the entire validity of this rumor.

BwayBshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:33 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Even if the rumor is valid, it's not like we were actually close to getting him... Stupid TB owner was negotiating a deal he couldn't sign off on by himself....

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:47 PM
Richard Brads

i skimmed through this thread, so if this has been mentioned, i apologize.

maybe after all the **** that brooks has given torts, sather decided it was time to give it back. i don't believe that this was reported in any other paper (again, if that's wrong, my apologies) and it the info was given on april 1.

if sather had enough of a sense of humor and balls to give it back to that scrub brooks in THIS way, he'd earn some respect points from me.

Richard Brads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:05 AM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
That has to be an April Fools joke by Sather.

I would have moved any of those guys for Stamkos.

I would've moved all of them for Stamkos.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:38 AM
mullichicken25

sweet jesus....wildly depressing that it was that close

what the hell was sather thinking talking to someone who didn't even have the authority to make a deal? just plain stupid

i love all those players (minus girardi) but i probablly would have given up all 5 haha or at least 3 or 4 of them....No way you'll ever have a shot at a deal like that again

edit: highly doubting the truth of this now that i checked the date

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:59 AM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

It's not BS. Larry can't make up quotes for a story unless he has a death wish or wants to go to Rwanda and join the Peace Corps in a few weeks.

Larry can specualte but he cant doctor or fabricate quotes.

What I find odd is that the only time I can see Tampa being anywhere near interested in moving Stamkos is midway through last season when he was benched. Why would anybody in the organization want to move him when: a) he hasnt played a lick of NHL ice time b) Callahan didnt break out to up his worth until mid-way last season and c) Grachev and Del Zotto had lower ceilings than Stamkos

Sounds to me like the by-product of the catfight in Tampa's luxury box. No way any GM trades his 1st overall pick for guys drafted almost one or two rounds later IN THE SAME DRAFT!!!!!

That's like the Colorado trading us Duchesne for Kreider and Werek. Makes zero sense.

GWOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:30 AM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
Originally Posted by phathead hea View Post
i skimmed through this thread, so if this has been mentioned, i apologize.

maybe after all the **** that brooks has given torts, sather decided it was time to give it back. i don't believe that this was reported in any other paper (again, if that's wrong, my apologies) and it the info was given on april 1.

if sather had enough of a sense of humor and balls to give it back to that scrub brooks in THIS way, he'd earn some respect points from me.
The St. Pete Times has an article exactly on this today in the sports section. I saw it in Economics class about a hour and a half ago and all I can say is "What the ****". I would of done the deal, but than no. One player like Stamkos wouldn't solve some of our other problems. Look at Tampa with Stamkos and St. Louis. They're in the League's top 10 in scoring and the team still sucks. Maybe if it was for Dubinksy, Girardi and a first round pick, but definitely not for Grachev, DZ and Callahan.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:36 AM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scipio Africanus View Post
It's not BS. Larry can't make up quotes for a story unless he has a death wish or wants to go to Rwanda and join the Peace Corps in a few weeks.

Larry can specualte but he cant doctor or fabricate quotes.

What I find odd is that the only time I can see Tampa being anywhere near interested in moving Stamkos is midway through last season when he was benched. Why would anybody in the organization want to move him when: a) he hasnt played a lick of NHL ice time b) Callahan didnt break out to up his worth until mid-way last season and c) Grachev and Del Zotto had lower ceilings than Stamkos

Sounds to me like the by-product of the catfight in Tampa's luxury box. No way any GM trades his 1st overall pick for guys drafted almost one or two rounds later IN THE SAME DRAFT!!!!!

That's like the Colorado trading us Duchesne for Kreider and Werek. Makes zero sense.
Bingo. And thats because as always there is plenty we don't know and Larry doesnt know.

Gardner McKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:57 AM
LamoTheKid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lundqvist4Vezina View Post
The St. Pete Times has an article exactly on this today in the sports section. I saw it in Economics class about a hour and a half ago and all I can say is "What the ****". I would of done the deal, but than no. One player like Stamkos wouldn't solve some of our other problems. Look at Tampa with Stamkos and St. Louis. They're in the League's top 10 in scoring and the team still sucks. Maybe if it was for Dubinksy, Girardi and a first round pick, but definitely not for Grachev, DZ and Callahan.
You're overvaluing Grachev and Cally when it comes to a player like Stamkos who's nowhere NEAR his potential yet. He's a gd stud. If we could keep DZ, I'd let them pick anyone they want on the team aside from Hank and Staal.

LamoTheKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:59 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
How did Brooks get Sather to discuss this on the record?Usually a GM discusses something like this years later in a book or an interview when he is no longer the GM. Who told Brooks the names of the players on the list?
I think it is true story, Sather told it all to Brooks, whom he uses as his personal outlet. If so, that means Sather won't be the GM much longer. The revelations of this magnitude, I agree, belong to memoirs.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draft Guru View Post
Well, remember when it was reported on TSN and other news sites that Brian Lawton sent out a memo to all 29 teams around the middle of last season that HE was the only one who they should be talking to about trades with the Lightning?

I thought it was well known that there was turmoil in the TBL front office last year and GMs were talking trades with Barrie. Lawton put a public end to that.

So I wouldn't doubt that Sather was talking trades with Barrie.
yup i remember that TSN story

Domination x 21 baby what

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:27 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen View Post
Sounds like Sather trying to convince us that he is smart, all evidence to the contrary.
bingo. he can feel the stove warming so he's emerging from his rock to say, "look how smart i almost was." his only good trade to date was for jagr.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote