HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Gormley "Locker room discord"

Old
04-04-2010, 06:13 PM
JLHockeyKnight
IMA Real American

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Inebriator View Post

I do not put it against these guys at all to just make up stuff. Its very convenient that all of the juicy information they get is always printed without a name attached to it. There is zero reason you should believe something these people print if there aren't direct quotes with names attached to them.
Essentially, yes. 95% of the time it's someone pulling something, specifically negative about someone, out of their ass. If they weren't afraid of anything coming back into their direction from what they say, their name would be all over it. Which is why many of the "negative" articles that you see online are things that people at HFBoards have said often months ahead of them...because we're essentially anonymous already and have no problem saying what needs to be said.

JLHockeyKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:34 PM
mercury

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSaq View Post
They are done. I believe they filed for it following the Carnival
They are done.

mercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 07:44 PM
MsConduct11

So some people think Prongers ways are the best but the fact of the matter is you NEED a team to rally around you and you need a team to respect your leadership style and for right or wrong it seems to me lots of guys don't respect Prongers style and instead rally around Richards.

Now i'm not saying Pronger is wrong and Richie is right but at the end of the day you need a leader who guys are going to rally around, and that is Richards. So if Pronger is stepping on any toes at this point maybe he needs to leave the leading up to Richards/Gags/Timmonen

You can call the younger guys who have a problem with Prongers words, ******* or whiners blah blah blah but the fact is right now they are looking to Richie and if thats what this team takes to win then Pronger needs to shut up and let the Captain of this team lead this team like he has been without stepping on any friggin toes.

MsConduct11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
This **** is so catty and juvenile. I just wish Richards would come right out to the media and be like listen:
"I am getting tired of your [the media's] failure to differentiate between me leading my team and me giving you guys good interviews. They're not the same thing. As for Chris and any supposed power struggle, Chris's experience is an asset to the team, but I am his captain, and I would expect no hesitance from Chris to say as much. Until Paul, Ed or Peter come and take my C, that's the way it is."
But that isn't in him, I don't think.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:10 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsConduct11 View Post
So some people think Prongers ways are the best but the fact of the matter is you NEED a team to rally around you and you need a team to respect your leadership style and for right or wrong it seems to me lots of guys don't respect Prongers style and instead rally around Richards.

Now i'm not saying Pronger is wrong and Richie is right but at the end of the day you need a leader who guys are going to rally around, and that is Richards. So if Pronger is stepping on any toes at this point maybe he needs to leave the leading up to Richards/Gags/Timmonen

You can call the younger guys who have a problem with Prongers words, ******* or whiners blah blah blah but the fact is right now they are looking to Richie and if thats what this team takes to win then Pronger needs to shut up and let the Captain of this team lead this team like he has been without stepping on any friggin toes.
I don't have a problem with Pronger saying things to the guys, as long as he's keeping it away from the press. What I don't like is the way he says things that leaves the media and fans to speculate. He obviously has issues with some of the players and we don't know who, we don't know why. And I agree, he has to remember he's NOT the captain and he should know his place.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:24 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
The media sure likes to stir **** up, but something has bugged me this season about the apparent locker room divide.... it started to bug me after Pronger made the comments during the collapse under Stevens that Richards hadn't approached him for advice, or anything specific.

Richards is a young guy who will certainly mature into one of the best leaders in the NHL; I don't doubt that for a second. He has been a respected leader everywhere he's played and he's one of, if not the, hardest workers day in and day out.

What bothers me is that he seems to have difficulty earning the respect of players older than he is (by this, I mean the respect to follow Richards as the alpha dog). He's always been a respected leader on teams where everyone was in a 3/4-year age window. Now that he has a locker room with a variety of ages, there appears to be (if the media is accurate in the assessment) a divide between the younger players and the older players.... a gap that will be bridged when Richards learns how to lead everyone, not just the guys his own age.

The Flyers have a lot of players who have been captains or assistant captains on other rosters, guys who I hope Richards has been communicating with to unite the locker room. If he isn't yet, he'll learn to do so eventually, but there's a lot he could take away from the veterans on the current roster.

* Should the media speculation be confirmed as untrue, please consider the above rambling as irrelevant. Should the speculation prove to be true, please consider the above rambling as irrelevant, as necessary.

P.S. This team really misses Knuble in the locker room.

CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:26 PM
BillyShoe1721
Terriers

vCash: 8400
Send a message via AIM to BillyShoe1721
Am I the only one that could give a **** what Richards says/does with the media?

BillyShoe1721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:51 PM
lancer247

"the best team chemistry is a hot goalie" - Al Morganti

show a team that's having a disappointing season and you'll find atleast a few articles questioning a captains leadership. Calgary media is often considered an extension of the teams PR but this season there were a few articles I read where they questioned Iginla's leadership. They were tired of the same, 'we gotta do a better job" quotes. It's an eighty-two game season. There only so many clever quotes a player can come up with especially when they are having a fustrating season. It's not unusual for writers to make mountains out of mole hills. If the Phils hadn't won a WS Utley would be feeling the wrath of the writers for being "Moody", "not a leader", etc.

If the Flyers win a cup Richards will be known by words like "stoic", "no nonsense", "man of actions". Until then he will have to deal with DBAGS like Chirardi and Gormely.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Murphy7
Drop the puck

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishSniper87 View Post
Saying "I'm not going first" is telling the media to piss off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWO View Post
In your opinion it is telling them to piss off. Not mine.
I wasn't there, but I've been in plenty of locker rooms where this (or something like this) has been said. It's usually because someone in the media throws out the generic "Tell us what happened tonight" to the player after a tough loss instead of asking a legit question. Tell us what happened is not a question, and gives the player the perception that you, as the media member, have no idea what you just saw.
To me, it looks like his statement, which I'm sure Richards made, was used out of context -- which would be an example of horrible journalism. I am sick of railing on the Philly guys, but they really seem to have selling papers above getting it B&W right. Getting into gray areas like this, not asking the proper questions (and this time, maybe no questions) is poor.
I can't say I've experienced someone passing on going first with the media. What did he want, the horde to talk to Hartnell first, then him? In my time, I've never seen that.
I don't know how long Chris has been doing this, but I'm sure he's never seen that, either. But I'd think he has seen the non-question questions get passed on by athletes at least a few times.

Murphy7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:57 PM
PhillyFan4Ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiLLY_ShOE1721 View Post
Am I the only one that could give a **** what Richards says/does with the media?
i dont. he brought my wife to tears. id rather see postgame interviews from lappy. carters too smarmy, richards is too gloom and doom like a whipped puppy, hartnells alright, briere tries to sugra coat evereything. most players are like trained seals with generic responses.

PhillyFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:58 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Seems like every time Gormley comes up with misinformed and pompous article, the Flyers come up with huge wins.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:11 PM
MsConduct11

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
What bothers me is that he seems to have difficulty earning the respect of players older than he is (by this, I mean the respect to follow Richards as the alpha dog). He's always been a respected leader on teams where everyone was in a 3/4-year age window. Now that he has a locker room with a variety of ages, there appears to be (if the media is accurate in the assessment) a divide between the younger players and the older players.... a gap that will be bridged when Richards learns how to lead everyone, not just the guys his own age.

i agree with you but things were fine last year, no lockeroom divide even with the age gaps, so why now though?

Old
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsConduct11 View Post
i agree with you but things were fine last year, no lockeroom divide even with the age gaps, so why now though?
how do you even know there is a locker room divide?

All there is, is more sources of leadership (pronger, Lappy) than last year. More voices in the room, but I don't believe anything about any divide

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
TheSkatingDutchman

Take it from a New Yorker when I say **** the NY Post. **** it right in the ear. They have all the journalistic credibility of TMZ and have about as much knowledge of hockey as my girlfriend.

**** the NY media.

TheSkatingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:38 PM
MsConduct11

i guess i shoulda put that in quotes, "the apparent divide" i guess!

what im saying though is last year there was no whisperings or gossip about any type of locker room problems, and its not like last year was a fantastic season by any means.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:05 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Ugh. Ugh to the max.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:39 PM
Tags27

I didn't read the whole thread but IMO the reason they don't like Richards is because he's not a quote machine. Talking to Richards forces these hacks to actually write an article.

He got an attitude over the whole party boys **** & now they have to really work to get anything worth writing from him, so since they have to work they turned on him, because writing crap like that is easier.

Tags27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:22 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Once again though, Richards is the face of the franchise and the captain. As much as the media makes stuff up and as much as he hates having to deal with them, that goes with the territory. Let's not forget that the media was even worse to Lindros and he probably put up with more crap than what Richards would ever have to put up with. It's a thankless position and yes, there's going to be times where Mike will have to swallow crap. And honestly, if the worst questions that are being asked are the party boy questions, that's pretty damned tame.

Now, onto the subject of undermining the captain's authority. There's one easy way to solve it. If the veterans don't have the respect for Richards, then one day in practice, he needs to target a veteran like Timonen or Laperriere or Betts and he needs to pound the stuffing out of them. If he puts a beat down on someone, especially an older veteran, they'll know that he's alpha around there and not to undermine his authority. That's how they used to do it in the old days. It might be barbaric and it might be neanderthal-esque, but it would certainly send a message. And I'm willing to bet that there'd be a measure of respect that Richards would earn from the veterans for that. Now is the time for Mike to stand up and claim this team as his.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:18 AM
mypetmeatball

I love Richards but a true captain can keep a good relationship with the media and squash any intrasquad nonsense.

mypetmeatball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:33 AM
EdmFlyersfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mypetmeatball View Post
I love Richards but a true captain can keep a good relationship with the media and squash any intrasquad nonsense.
Exactly, and on top of that most games since his cake buddy Stevens got fired he seems to be lost on the ice. He doesn't regularly bring that "edge" anymore.

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:12 AM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Whoever doesn't like it can leave. They are not long to win a Stanley Cup with this team.
With Boucher or Caron in net? Sorry but until the Flyers get a legit goaltender they aren't going to win anything. Hartnell and his knack for taking dumb penalties also won't help get the Flyers any votes. When people look back, I believe the Pronger signing will have really hurt the Flyers as well.

In summary, the Flyers need a legitimate goalie (badly). Hartnell's game needs to improve and the Flyers need to establish who the leaders on the team really are. No matter what the writers say, a group with so much skill up front that isn't scoring mustn't be on the same page. They need some cohesiveness in that lineup. Not to mention, all this has to be done before Chris Pronger is no longer capable of being a major contributor to a Stanley Cup winning team (1-3 years imo). Tick, Tock..

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:10 AM
Flyerfan808

Am I the only one who thinks that these things are manufactured, twisted, copy/pasted, and spun every which direction by the media just to cause a ruccus?

What if he COULDN'T go first because he was in the middle of a very serious discussion with Lavi or one of the players or with Holmgren? Or maybe he had to take an emergency ****.

Fact is we don't know, all we can do is speculate. Instead of giving Richards the benefit of the doubt though, lets all just get upset about it and turn him into a scapegoat.

Congratulations "gullible" is written on the ceiling.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:19 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Once again though, Richards is the face of the franchise and the captain. As much as the media makes stuff up and as much as he hates having to deal with them, that goes with the territory. Let's not forget that the media was even worse to Lindros and he probably put up with more crap than what Richards would ever have to put up with. It's a thankless position and yes, there's going to be times where Mike will have to swallow crap. And honestly, if the worst questions that are being asked are the party boy questions, that's pretty damned tame.

Now, onto the subject of undermining the captain's authority. There's one easy way to solve it. If the veterans don't have the respect for Richards, then one day in practice, he needs to target a veteran like Timonen or Laperriere or Betts and he needs to pound the stuffing out of them. If he puts a beat down on someone, especially an older veteran, they'll know that he's alpha around there and not to undermine his authority. That's how they used to do it in the old days. It might be barbaric and it might be neanderthal-esque, but it would certainly send a message. And I'm willing to bet that there'd be a measure of respect that Richards would earn from the veterans for that. Now is the time for Mike to stand up and claim this team as his.
As i said richards has had it easy any way you slice it. What has the media even really done to him when you think about it? A couple party questions, sometimes the truth hurts. Big deal. Cant even compare what Lindros went through. I guess when shooter brought in ian and pronger it may have pissed off richards right from the start. He could have had a notion that he will not seek them out for help as this is his team and he will do it his way. Instead of embracing them for help he shut them out. Just a guess of course.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:18 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post
With Boucher or Caron in net? Sorry but until the Flyers get a legit goaltender they aren't going to win anything. Hartnell and his knack for taking dumb penalties also won't help get the Flyers any votes. When people look back, I believe the Pronger signing will have really hurt the Flyers as well.

In summary, the Flyers need a legitimate goalie (badly). Hartnell's game needs to improve and the Flyers need to establish who the leaders on the team really are. No matter what the writers say, a group with so much skill up front that isn't scoring mustn't be on the same page. They need some cohesiveness in that lineup. Not to mention, all this has to be done before Chris Pronger is no longer capable of being a major contributor to a Stanley Cup winning team (1-3 years imo). Tick, Tock..
Preaching to the choir man. But Pronger is proven. Laviolette is proven. They're both winners - and I only want winners, so as I said, whoever isn't on the same page as them, they're not able to win a Stanley Cup here.

That and Gormley is usually a jackass.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:44 AM
EdmFlyersfan

The Pronger trade is a win already in many ways, without his presence the OCC Gang would have continued to run amock in the locker-room and Stevens would be employed.

Pronger and the new vets have cleared up a lot of the BS, or at least brought it to the surface to be addressed.

Under Stevens, things were already falling apart because of his favortism to the "OCC Gang", a classy like Knuble left since he could not tolerate the BS anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordieHoweHatTrick View Post

In summary, the Flyers need a legitimate goalie (badly)...

EdmFlyersfan is offline   Reply With Quote