HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues/League Scoring

Old
04-04-2010, 09:08 AM
stlweir

vCash: 500
Blues/League Scoring

To date the Blues have scored 211 goals and there are 10 teams that have scored less goals however 5 of those teams have scored 209 or 210 goals. Bottom line the Blues are near the bottom in scoring. It is interesting to note that as of this morning 16 teams in the league do not have a 30+ goal scorer. Boston who is last in goals scored has only one 20 goal scorer who has but 21 goals. Toronto has a 30 goal scorer but their number two goal scorer has only 16.

Only three teams in the Western division have given up less than 200 goals. The Blues have given up 211 goals which puts them just behind San Jose 205, LA & Detroit 206 and Vancouver 208. The Blues are 7th in the division in goals allowed but they are just an eye lash behind the four teams ahead of them.

The numbers show that the Blues are solid on defense/in goal but need more scoring as many other teams do. As the saying goes there is a fine line between winning and losing and the Blues are sitting squarely on that line. As of this morning the Blues would be a playoff team if they were in the eastern division. The Blues are very close to being a solid playoff team. The Blues have built a solid but young foundation. Eller and Pie will be expected to make the team next year adding more skill and youth but stating the obvious another scorer must be added. Cole and McRae are probably a year away but for the first time in their history the franchise has a steady stream of talent in the pipeline.

For those that say different year same ***** I say the future looks bright and this off season will be big for the Blues and their fans.

stlweir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:32 AM
STL Fan

Concur!

STL Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:54 AM
Frenzy1

This is something that I have been advocating for awhile now. I don't think the problem lies in net. Sorry, while Mason isn't an elite goalie, he is better then average.

He had no goal support early on and kept the Blues in the game.

Personally, I would resign him to a 3 year deal - and wait for Jake Allen to continue t0 develop. I don't see how trading an asset for Halak or Price actually makes us a better team - because neither is Lundquist or a big step up from Mason - I consider then equivolent.

Does Mason have bad games, sure - but so do Loungo, Lundquist, - **** even Brodeur starts out every year slowly.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:09 PM
BergMan
#BackesForSelke

vCash: 50
Great post and I agree. We have bigger problems than goal. Mason isn't an eliete goalie but he isn't what is keeping this team out of the playoffs. I tinkering our first issue is scoring. Remember all those games back in the beginning of the year when it looked like Mason was top 3 in. He league an letting in MAYBE a goal a game? If we had any scoring ten we would be comfortably in the playoffs. Secondly We need a top tier defender. That would take time away from Jack and Brewer. Which I think could make them much more effective(assuming they are still here and not involved I. A trade) also a real eliete defender will know how to hold onto leads and we should not lose as many games in he third after leading to that point. Both of these improvements could easily give us a chance at hone ice in the playoffs. This will be tight for. He front office to pull off well but it has to be done to become a possible contender. IMO these improvements are more nessisary than an upgrade in net

BergMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 03:41 PM
Bluesfreak74*

That is why we need Kovlachuk or Marleau.

Bluesfreak74* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Robb_K

The Blues need to shore up their defence, and get more scoring power. Goaltending isn't as pressing a problem, as their goaltending is adequate right now. However, they DO need to work on the long-term goaltending situation to cover the period of their next Stanley Cup contending team (should be 2011-12 through the succeeding 3-4 years).

If either Halak or Price should come available. The Blues should consider trading for him (IF they can get him with draft choices and secondary prospects). I wouldn't give up Oshie, Perron, Backes, Berglund, Pietrangelo or Eller in a trade for him.

An NHL- proven scorer must be added to the current roster (probably adding 2 would be better (as Tkachuk and Kariya may both be gone).

A veteran 2-way puck-carrying defenceman must be added to shore up the defence, and help the transition game.

The latter 2 problems MUST be addressed this off season. Goaltending WOULD be nice, but could wait one or two years - IF Mason could be re-signed at less than $4.2 million or so. But, I'd rather have them get Halak, or Price, or Harding or Schneider.

Robb_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:52 AM
Frenzy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robb_K View Post
The Blues need to shore up their defence, and get more scoring power. Goaltending isn't as pressing a problem, as their goaltending is adequate right now. However, they DO need to work on the long-term goaltending situation to cover the period of their next Stanley Cup contending team (should be 2011-12 through the succeeding 3-4 years).

If either Halak or Price should come available. The Blues should consider trading for him (IF they can get him with draft choices and secondary prospects). I wouldn't give up Oshie, Perron, Backes, Berglund, Pietrangelo or Eller in a trade for him.

An NHL- proven scorer must be added to the current roster (probably adding 2 would be better (as Tkachuk and Kariya may both be gone).

A veteran 2-way puck-carrying defenceman must be added to shore up the defence, and help the transition game.

The latter 2 problems MUST be addressed this off season. Goaltending WOULD be nice, but could wait one or two years - IF Mason could be re-signed at less than $4.2 million or so. But, I'd rather have them get Halak, or Price, or Harding or Schneider.
Why does everyone want to get Schneider? He hasn't done anything in the NHL and has a 3.8 and 3.38 GAA in the past two years. It is a small sample size (7 games), but you would think he would be under 2.6. Sorry, I wouldn't trade much for him.

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
zorz

If we are able to sign Halak/Price and Kovalchuk/Marleau this summer, I will be satisfied.

zorz is offline   Reply With Quote