HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Daniel "Car Bomb" Carcillo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-02-2010, 10:46 AM
  #26
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
Haha, Homer was right!


There were many of us who loved Carcillo from Phoenix, but he definitely had to win most of his fans here over. Most of the posters here figured zero skill. Of course most of the same posters think Giroux is more valuable than carey Price.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:50 AM
  #27
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
We're not a fan club. We just recognize who's earning their paycheck. Carcillo is and Hartnell isn't. Carcillo has been on and off Richards line, mostly off but he's illed in admirably for a guy that makes 5x less than Hartnell. This isn't to bash Scotty because he does go out and work his ass off. His problem is and always will be his discipline, not his finish or effort. He is a better top liner or 2nd liner than Dan but easily more replaceable than Knuble was.
Obviously. Im not saying Hartnell has been doing well. You give me a choice to pick between Hartnell and Carcillo, Id take Hartnell. If Hartnell can stop taking those stupid penalties, I'd be fine with him. Its this "Carcillo can easily hit 30-40 points on the top line". He isnt a 1st line player. He can put in a goal here and there, but so can everyone else.

Playing on the 4th line ALL season, Lappy and Betts have 2 less points then him.

Personally, I dont think its fair to compare a guy who supposed to put up points on the top 6, and a 4th maybe 3rd line player. Their roles are completely different. For the pay check, of course Carcillo is doing better. Carcillo gets payed almost bare minimum. Betts has been doing better then Hartnell for his contract. Hartnell, for his contract, has been doing the worse on the team (Danny Briere close behind).

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 10:56 AM
  #28
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Obviously. Im not saying Hartnell has been doing well. You give me a choice to pick between Hartnell and Carcillo, Id take Hartnell. If Hartnell can stop taking those stupid penalties, I'd be fine with him. Its this "Carcillo can easily hit 30-40 points on the top line". He isnt a 1st line player. He can put in a goal here and there, but so can everyone else.

Playing on the 4th line ALL season, Lappy and Betts have 2 less points then him.

Personally, I dont think its fair to compare a guy who supposed to put up points on the top 6, and a 4th maybe 3rd line player. Their roles are completely different. For the pay check, of course Carcillo is doing better. Carcillo gets payed almost bare minimum. Betts has been doing better then Hartnell for his contract. Hartnell, for his contract, has been doing the worse on the team (Danny Briere close behind).




I agree with most of your post here but Carcillo has brought much more than scoring this year. He's been one of the League's top pests and has earned himself a raise. Despite the ******** suspensions he's also showed pretty good discipline, much better than Hartnell and better than some of our other guys as well.

If you want to bash the players that's one thing, but don't insult the intelligence of the fans who don't share your opinion by calling us fan clubs. Carcillo is loved here for a reason.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:05 AM
  #29
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
I agree with most of your post here but Carcillo has brought much more than scoring this year. He's been one of the League's top pests and has earned himself a raise. Despite the ******** suspensions he's also showed pretty good discipline, much better than Hartnell and better than some of our other guys as well.

If you want to bash the players that's one thing, but don't insult the intelligence of the fans who don't share your opinion by calling us fan clubs. Carcillo is loved here for a reason.
I think the main reason he is loved is the broad-street bully attitude. That and/or the agitator idea. See Avery and Rangers, Ott and Stars, Kaleta and Sabres. The idea of getting under the opponents skin, by, most of the time(which I think we can agree on), non-legal ways, is appealing to people. I think that might be the reason I'm not the biggest Carcillo fan. I think agitating is important, but not my favorite thing in the world.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 11:41 AM
  #30
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the main reason he is loved is the broad-street bully attitude. That and/or the agitator idea. See Avery and Rangers, Ott and Stars, Kaleta and Sabres. The idea of getting under the opponents skin, by, most of the time(which I think we can agree on), non-legal ways, is appealing to people. I think that might be the reason I'm not the biggest Carcillo fan. I think agitating is important, but not my favorite thing in the world.


He's loved here because he does the dirty work and leaves it all out on the ice IMO . Is he a highly skilled player, no. He does however, move the puck quickly and he has a "little finish." He's a good passer and I hate to admit it....a good diver. If you can't beat em, join em.

Carcillo was unfairly bashed early on because of how we acquired him, not his fault. Yet still some people won't admit that they were wrong and knew nothing about him. He loves being a Flyer and I believe he's still going to improve skill-wise. If everyone on our roster played as desperate, we'd be locked into a playoff spot even with the ****show in our net. No, I don't believe Dan is 1st or 2nd line material but I'm glad he can be plugged in their on occasion.

Does Carcillo have faults? obviously. He still on occasion gets pinched along the boards when trying to clear. He's got busy feet sometimes and he still has to work on learning to plant himself in front of the net. He'd be an even better player if Campbell and some of the "student police officials" in the league would call **** down the middle, rather than by who they like and who they don't.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
  #31
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,561
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
I think the main reason he is loved is the broad-street bully attitude. That and/or the agitator idea. See Avery and Rangers, Ott and Stars, Kaleta and Sabres. The idea of getting under the opponents skin, by, most of the time(which I think we can agree on), non-legal ways, is appealing to people. I think that might be the reason I'm not the biggest Carcillo fan. I think agitating is important, but not my favorite thing in the world.
If Carcillo were loved because of his "broad-street bully" attitude then so would Hartnell to an extent. People love Carcillo because he's cheap, he does his job well, and he has a personality.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
  #32
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...
 
sa cyred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Traveling...
Country: Cuba
Posts: 15,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
He's loved here because he does the dirty work and leaves it all out on the ice IMO . Is he a highly skilled player, no. He does however, move the puck quickly and he has a "little finish." He's a good passer and I hate to admit it....a good diver. If you can't beat em, join em.

Carcillo was unfairly bashed early on because of how we acquired him, not his fault. Yet still some people won't admit that they were wrong and knew nothing about him. He loves being a Flyer and I believe he's still going to improve skill-wise. If everyone on our roster played as desperate, we'd be locked into a playoff spot even with the ****show in our net. No, I don't believe Dan is 1st or 2nd line material but I'm glad he can be plugged in their on occasion.

Does Carcillo have faults? obviously. He still on occasion gets pinched along the boards when trying to clear. He's got busy feet sometimes and he still has to work on learning to plant himself in front of the net. He'd be an even better player if Campbell and some of the "student police officials" in the league would call **** down the middle, rather than by who they like and who they don't.

Isnt that what most 3rd, 4th liners are supposed to do? Like Powe, Betts, Asham, Lappy. These guys are SUPPOSED to bring energy. Thats their job. I still think the reason people like Carcillo is purely because of the agitating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garbage Goal View Post
If Carcillo were loved because of his "broad-street bully" attitude then so would Hartnell to an extent. People love Carcillo because he's cheap, he does his job well, and he has a personality.
Hartnell takes terrible penalties, which is why he was hated, something Carcillo did before (and why he was hated more before). Hartnell stops taking penalties, and puts in a few more goals, people will start loving him again. (see last season)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:11 PM
  #33
CTU2fan
Registered User
 
CTU2fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 1,142
vCash: 500
It's about perception, obviously. We went into the season expecting ~25 goals from Hartnell, and 10-15 max from Carcillo...and their production has been pretty similar. And while Hartnell has more assists, he's also played most of the season with the best finisher on the team.

Hartnell is a far better player, but he's produced like a marginally better player. And I like Hartnell, and I'm betting if you asked Hartnell he'd tell you he's as disappointed in his production as anybody.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 03:37 PM
  #34
Bob Clarke Fan Club
Registered User
 
Bob Clarke Fan Club's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,987
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Isnt that what most 3rd, 4th liners are supposed to do? Like Powe, Betts, Asham, Lappy. These guys are SUPPOSED to bring energy. Thats their job. I still think the reason people like Carcillo is purely because of the agitating.


Hartnell takes terrible penalties, which is why he was hated, something Carcillo did before (and why he was hated more before). Hartnell stops taking penalties, and puts in a few more goals, people will start loving him again. (see last season)


Carcillo was never that bad for taking minor penalties and putting us at a disadvantage here, even when he was playing under Stevens. This is a myth that people use to back up their original opinions during the Upshall grieving. He is even more disciplined under Lavi, I will agree on that. Carcillo is doing exactly what people who knew his game said he was going to do. I never really thought he could swallow his pride enough to be a super-pest but it's fairly easy to tell that a lot of guys dislike playing against him.
I like Scotty Hartnell, just wish he'd find his groove soon because he's a waste of space at the moment.

Bob Clarke Fan Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:26 AM
  #35
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Clarke Fan Club View Post
Carcillo was never that bad for taking minor penalties and putting us at a disadvantage here, even when he was playing under Stevens. This is a myth that people use to back up their original opinions during the Upshall grieving. He is even more disciplined under Lavi, I will agree on that. Carcillo is doing exactly what people who knew his game said he was going to do. I never really thought he could swallow his pride enough to be a super-pest but it's fairly easy to tell that a lot of guys dislike playing against him.
I like Scotty Hartnell, just wish he'd find his groove soon because he's a waste of space at the moment.
Consider this: Carcillo's suspension contributed to the loss of two crucial games vs. NYI and Montreal.
Having Cote or Bartulis on the 4th line meant they had NO energy and didn't go much at all.

The Ranger Puke Colon's revenge....

And looking forward to next year, with Legein in Asham's place, we beat Montreal 3-1.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:51 AM
  #36
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
It's so funny to see everyone jump on the Carcillo bandwagon throughout this season. I'm curious to see how many of the fans supported Carcillo when he got traded here. I remember being one of maybe five posters that kept sticking up for him and saying he will be a fan favorite here. Typical, really.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:53 AM
  #37
HoverCarle*
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,859
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
It's so funny to see everyone jump on the Carcillo bandwagon throughout this season. I'm curious to see how many of the fans supported Carcillo when he got traded here. I remember being one of maybe five posters that kept sticking up for him and saying he will be a fan favorite here. Typical, really.
I hated him when he first got here, he couldn't score and he was stupid and undisciplined. Laviolette has done a good job of tightening his leash, so instead of patting your own back, you should realize that he is playing better, more focused hockey now than he was last year, and that is why more people support him

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:56 AM
  #38
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,866
vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Any word of a contract extension for 'ol Car Bomb? I'm hoping they sign him and keep him for a while. Despite a few bogus suspensions, he has really played well this season. Beating up Gaborik is probably the highlight of the season.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
  #39
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I hated him when he first got here, he couldn't score and he was stupid and undisciplined. Laviolette has done a good job of tightening his leash, so instead of patting your own back, you should realize that he is playing better, more focused hockey now than he was last year, and that is why more people support him
Full of truthiness.


All we wanted him to do was play like a real player. Once he had a real coach, it's no accident that he plays like a real player. But I know the point keeps bringing up so that some people can feel good acting all self-righteous on a message board without ever reading into why we were so critical in the first place. The Rangers are usually much better when Sean Avery does the same thing.

I mean, let's not give credit to the one person who made him play for real, and not act like an idiot (I'm sure Ed Snider essentially calling him out on DNL could have factored into that)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Consider this: Carcillo's suspension contributed to the loss of two crucial games vs. NYI and Montreal.
Having Cote or Bartulis on the 4th line meant they had NO energy and didn't go much at all.

The Ranger Puke Colon's revenge....

And looking forward to next year, with Legein in Asham's place, we beat Montreal 3-1.....
Um, did you watch the Montreal game? They were clearly the better team. They didn't win that game because Halak wouldn't let them.

If you need your 4th line superpest to inspire confidence to make your team want to show up, you're got the wrong guys.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:01 AM
  #40
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I hated him when he first got here, he couldn't score and he was stupid and undisciplined. Laviolette has done a good job of tightening his leash, so instead of patting your own back, you should realize that he is playing better, more focused hockey now than he was last year, and that is why more people support him
And now you love him. Simple point of my post really. I'm not too worried about the in between stuff. It was inevitable that Philly would love this guy.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:06 AM
  #41
Kaktus*
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 22,389
vCash: 500
Definitely supported Carcillo even before this season started. Watched him a number of times in Phoenix . Still think that trading Upshall and 2nd for Carcillo was too much but what can you do? He is a decent playert for us for sure.

I just wish Flyers fired Stevens earlier. Would be nice to have Downie now (by the way he looks excellent in Tampa) and maybe Coburn would not suck like he did in last 2 seasons.

Stevens really ****ed up and slowed down the development of our young players. The only player that really surprised me is M.Richards and his scoring. I did not expect Mike to score THAT much. Carter developed as expected and everyone else kind of sucking balls, were traded or made no real improvement. Thanks John.

Kaktus* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:28 AM
  #42
flyfan795
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 80
vCash: 500
The other thing you have to take into account when comparing Carcillo and Hartnell is their Power Play time. Even when he was playing on the Richards line Carcillo was not out there on the Power Play. Hartnell is averaging 2:42 PP time each game and has 14 PP points while Carcillo rarely sets foot on the ice during a PP. If the 2 of them were receiving an even amount of ice time on a scoring line as well as even PP time over the course of the season their production would probably me much closer then it is now.

flyfan795 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:43 AM
  #43
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSTAFF View Post
And now you love him. Simple point of my post really. I'm not too worried about the in between stuff. It was inevitable that Philly would love this guy.
Agreed with you before, and agree with you again. Carcillo is the *****ing man! We needed someone like him after trading Downie away (I would still prefer Downie, but that's another topic).

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
  #44
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
I hated him when he first got here, he couldn't score and he was stupid and undisciplined. Laviolette has done a good job of tightening his leash, so instead of patting your own back, you should realize that he is playing better, more focused hockey now than he was last year, and that is why more people support him
Or the people criticizing him last year, like you, just didn't know what they were talking about.....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
  #45
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Or the people criticizing him last year, like you, just didn't know what they were talking about.....
Or did know exactly what they were talking about.

Unless you feel that Carcillo today is the same player that arrived in Philly. In which case, there is no point to discussing much with you.

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:48 AM
  #46
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 View Post
Um, did you watch the Montreal game? They were clearly the better team. They didn't win that game because Halak wouldn't let them.

If you need your 4th line superpest to inspire confidence to make your team want to show up, you're got the wrong guys.
Well, at least Richards and Gagne were doing something when Carcillo was playing with them.

Well, shows what you know because his addition the lineup had a huge impact in the Detroit game - because it game us a line we could us instead of a line carrying a scrub or a converted D....

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
  #47
Larry44
10 - 88
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 5,264
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Or did know exactly what they were talking about.

Unless you feel that Carcillo today is the same player that arrived in Philly. In which case, there is no point to discussing much with you.
You are blinded with hatred so there is no point having a conversation with the unseeing.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
  #48
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo
 
CharlieGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Kitchener, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 29,967
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
You are blinded with hatred so there is no point having a conversation with the unseeing.
Hardly. I've admitted that he's grown on me - several times as a matter of fact. The Carcillo we're watching these days is a player I want on this team. The undisciplined, stupid player is the one I didn't want anywhere near the Flyers.

Got anything else?

CharlieGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
  #49
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 111,819
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry44 View Post
Well, at least Richards and Gagne were doing something when Carcillo was playing with them.

Well, shows what you know because his addition the lineup had a huge impact in the Detroit game - because it game us a line we could us instead of a line carrying a scrub or a converted D....
The only reason Cote and Bartulis played in his place was because they couldn't use a call-up to bring up Kalinski or whoever the guy would have been. Another reason why Cote should have been sent down when he got waived, but that's a different conversation.

What about when they played Minnesota. He scores the goal, and they fall apart soon after. In part because of Carcillo.

He's a 4th liner who did a good job filling in, but long-term those are not the guys who you use on scoring lines. Powe (early in the season) and Asham (in the middle) during the course of the season did similar satisfactory jobs He was there because of lack of depth. The times he's stood out during the course of the whole season, generally is when the team had been playing it's worst.

Don't act like the guy is a superstar. I mean, Phoenix is doing just fine - for the first time in years - without him, just FYI.

BTW, Cote played against the Devils as well, a game where Carcillo didn't really do much (including not doing much in taking the undeserved match penalty) so what was the excuse for not losing that game?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:59 AM
  #50
JSTAFF
Registered User
 
JSTAFF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: Italy
Posts: 4,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_Girl View Post
Hardly. I've admitted that he's grown on me - several times as a matter of fact. The Carcillo we're watching these days is a player I want on this team. The undisciplined, stupid player is the one I didn't want anywhere near the Flyers.

Got anything else?
Personally, I don't think he actually "changed" as a player in the few months Lavy has been the coach here. I think he has become more accepted by his teammates and is now indulging the city he is playing for. He is not taking the stupid penalties because he loves the city and his teammates now and does not want to hurt the team. In the beginning, he was playing for himself. Now, he is playing for his friends(read: family) and the city.

JSTAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.