HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal has figured out what Torts wants

Old
04-05-2010, 06:30 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Marc Staal has figured out what Torts wants

Quote:
Head coach John Tortorella urged Staal to add more offense to his game -- to carry the puck, to lead the rush, to become the linear descendent of Brian Leetch. The problem, however, was that the skates didn't fit.

"At the beginning of the year, the coaches wanted me to get more involved in the offense, and it took time to get used to playing that way in a new system," Staal said on Saturday. "I think I was a little confused with what they wanted and what I was bringing to the table.

"It took me a while to figure that out."
Quote:
"As the year went on, I went back to playing to my strength, which is defense," Staal said. "At the same time, I have gotten better offensively.

"My primary responsibility is to be strong in my own end. The coaches send me out against the top guys. That's my job. If I have the opportunity to contribute at the other end, I'll go, but I'm not going to force it."
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...PDK5wo4t04hbEL

Brooks credits the Rangers ditching the "safe is death" system for a more conservative system with helping Staal get his game back and at the same time Staal has become more involved joining the rush.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:34 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Zipay has a Staal story too

Quote:
In 2007-08, his rookie season with the Rangers, the defenseman from Thunder Bay, Ontario, scored two goals. In 2008-09, three. This year, the 23-year-old has eight, including three in the last three games.

The Rangers' first-round pick - 12th overall - in the 2005 entry draft has gained accolades for his defense and physical play in the defensive zone. Along with Dan Girardi, Staal has almost always been assigned to try to shut down the opponent's top line. That is one measure of success, but he also has a career- high 19 assists this season and leads the club in average ice time at 23 minutes per game.
Quote:
"Watching some of the things he does so well as such a big guy . . . he makes moves in tight as if he's my size," Chris Drury said. "And certainly, the offensive boost he's given us is huge. Even when [he and the other defensemen] are not scoring, but they jump in the play to help us create opportunities and offense, and certainly when they're putting it in the net, it's been a boost for the entire lineup.''
http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey...ment-1.1846277

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:55 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
He's been great. He got off to a rough start, when he focused too much on leading the rush and trying to gain the offensive zone all by himself. It resulted in a lot of turnovers and goals against. The second half of the season, and particularly since the Olympics, he has been much better at picking his spots.

If he can continue this type of play, he may well develop into a "true" number one defenseman, a guy adept at playing both sides of the puck.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:58 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Its a hot streak, no doubt, 2 of the three goals were pretty stoppable. He's improved, however, beyond a doubt and I think that a little PP time with either Girardi or Jokinen wouldn't be a terrible idea.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:34 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
He's been great. He got off to a rough start, when he focused too much on leading the rush and trying to gain the offensive zone all by himself. It resulted in a lot of turnovers and goals against. The second half of the season, and particularly since the Olympics, he has been much better at picking his spots.
If he can continue this type of play, he may well develop into a "true" number one defenseman, a guy adept at playing both sides of the puck.
the kid has really good instincts and its become evident that the best course of action is to let him devlope them at his own pace

not to fault Torts and Co. for trying to push him, cause i'd have done the same thing honestly

people got all over staal this season, but i think this was a pretty big year for him, he had some growing pains but at the end of the day he's figured out exactly who he is as a player

he will be as big of a part of this team as gaborik and henrik in the coming years

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:38 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
the kid has really good instincts and its become evident that the best course of action is to let him devlope them at his own pace

not to fault Torts and Co. for trying to push him, cause i'd have done the same thing honestly

people got all over staal this season, but i think this was a pretty big year for him, he had some growing pains but at the end of the day he's figured out exactly who he is as a player

he will be as big of a part of this team as gaborik and henrik in the coming years
Agreed on all counts. It's been a big season developmentally for him. He got through the growing pains early and has clearly come out better for it. I do give some credit to Torts in that respect.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:49 AM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

So Brooks actually wrote an article about the Rangers which didn't bash Tortorella? Amazing.

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Agreed on all counts. It's been a big season developmentally for him. He got through the growing pains early and has clearly come out better for it. I do give some credit to Torts in that respect.
come on now, as a mod you should know that kind of talk is not allowed around here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
So Brooks actually wrote an article about the Rangers which didn't bash Tortorella? Amazing.
oh im sure its there somewhere...gotta read between the lines

Old
04-05-2010, 09:28 AM
rody

I think if Staal would have played with Girardi more of the season , his offensive talent would have developed more,. He knows G will be there , With Rosival he is the offensive d man and Staal has to cover for him,
The problem was Rosival wasn't good enough to play with MDZ against top players they both run around too much. (I am not saying anything neg about either player) they just don't compliment each other,

rody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:44 AM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Its a hot streak, no doubt, 2 of the three goals were pretty stoppable. He's improved, however, beyond a doubt and I think that a little PP time with either Girardi or Jokinen wouldn't be a terrible idea.
The highlight goals of Brian Leetch were stoppable as well. Yet fans love them not knowing much.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:59 AM
hlundqvist30*

Nonsense! The only thing Marc Staal has figured out is that Tortorella is ruining him! So what if he's tied for 6th in even strength goals for defensemen. Who cares if he has just as many goals as a great defenseman like Brian Rafalski only with less than half as many shots.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
BrianLeetch2

vCash: 803
Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
Torts ruined this kid and he will never be the same...F U torts

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
The highlight goals of Brian Leetch were stoppable as well. Yet fans love them not knowing much.
huh?

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:14 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
All shots are stoppable...the good to great players figure out ways to put it in the net

Old
04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
huh?
Possibly the most famous goal of Brian Leetch's career was completely stoppable.

Like BrianLeetch2 said, very few shots are unstoppable. Staal should have nothing taken away from him for his recent goals. It's not like they were dump ins from center ice. If you're in the offensive zone and continue to put pucks in the net then you're clearly doing something right.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:33 AM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

Staal looked pretty horrid earlier in the season when he tried to lead the rush... He had some blatant turnovers which led directly to goals against.

The strongest part of his game is defense and I think he should focus on that. Obviously it's nice to see him join the rush more often right now since he usually recovers nicely.

This was nasty, though.

Last edited by Loffen: 04-05-2010 at 10:39 AM.
Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Possibly the most famous goal of Brian Leetch's career was completely stoppable.

Like BrianLeetch2 said, very few shots are unstoppable. Staal should have nothing taken away from him for his recent goals. It's not like they were dump ins from center ice. If you're in the offensive zone and continue to put pucks in the net then you're clearly doing something right.
Oh ok, I just didn't understand the second part of what 94now wrote.

Anyway, I wouldn't take anything away from Staal. He's clearly doing things this season we thought were not possible out of him last year. I don't care how flukey the goals are... 8 even strength goals for any d-man is hard to do. For example, Nik Lidstrom has only 4 ES goals this season and only had 6 last year. Green has 9, Weber has 8

Of course all those guys are cornerstones on the PP, but I'm not really expecting that out of Staal. We have MDZ who has already taken that role over

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:40 AM
Trxjw
Bored.

Marc Staal has figured out how to be Marc Staal.

Not really sure how the Torts fan club is using this article as a "I told you so!" moment.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:41 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
i wish i could watch these videos what work....my computer blocks them out and all i see is a white box

so what the hell am i missing? what where both of these vids?
im in the same boat im at work till 8 tonight and i ahet not being able to see the vids just that white boring box

Old
04-05-2010, 10:42 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
The two videos are Leetch's spin move on Marty in Game 7, and Matteau's goal.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:46 AM
BrianLeetch2

Quote:
awesome thank.....i know the 2 very well when i get home im sure ill get to see them

Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
thank you sir

Old
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
hlundqvist30*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
Marc Staal has figured out how to be Marc Staal.

Not really sure how the Torts fan club is using this article as a "I told you so!" moment.
It isn't an "I told you so!" moment for the Torts fan club. It's an "eat crow" moment for the "Tortorella is ruining Staal" fan club.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:50 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

the best thing torts can do to help all our young players develop is resign

any success this team has individually or as a group is inspite of torts.

and before anyone says hes won a calder and a stanley, i would remind them that slats has some hardware too.

doesnt mean squat today.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
It isn't an "I told you so!" moment for the Torts fan club. It's an "eat crow" moment for the "Tortorella is ruining Staal" fan club.
correct, I dont attribute this to Torts at all, however, id say this is an indication that he hasn't been "ruined"

but good luck, i dont think i've ever seen a bite of crow eaten on this forum