HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coed hockey fights and the human response

Old
03-31-2010, 04:39 PM
hof2120

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinkrat22 View Post
are you ****ers kidding me? ITS COED, the name implies that its for both sexes you ****ing **********. And let me tell you if some dickwad laid out a woman on my team I would beat the **** out of him.

And no I'm not some McSorley wanna be, but my old man taught me how to treat a woman. With ****ing respect.
Whoa there slugger, calm down. People are allowed to have differing opinions, even though I do agree with you.

hof2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 05:54 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
are you ****ers kidding me? ITS COED, the name implies that its for both sexes you ****ing **********. And let me tell you if some dickwad laid out a woman on my team I would beat the **** out of him.

And no I'm not some McSorley wanna be, but my old man taught me how to treat a woman. With ****ing respect.
Agreed.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
I was scorekeeping a coed game last night and I saw a similar play happen; a 250+ lbs guy absolutely levelled a tiny girl in the corner. I mean she went flying.

Ref didn't see it, and nothing was done about it on the ice either. The guy didn't apologize, her teamates didn't come to her defence, even though she was clearly hurt. It was really odd.

I don't condone violence in hockey, especially not fighting, but I thought something should've been done in this instance. A good teamate would've at least went up to him to have a lil' talk. No need to escalate things with a cheapshot, but roughing him up a little bit would've been acceptable. A meathead like that needs to know that what he did was unacceptable.

(She did get him back later on with a nice crosscheck in front of the net though.)

AHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-31-2010, 06:13 PM
hof2120

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHF View Post
I was scorekeeping a coed game last night and I saw a similar play happen; a 250+ lbs guy absolutely levelled a tiny girl in the corner. I mean she went flying.

Ref didn't see it, and nothing was done about it on the ice either. The guy didn't apologize, her teamates didn't come to her defence, even though she was clearly hurt. It was really odd.

I don't condone violence in hockey, especially not fighting, but I thought something should've been done in this instance. A good teamate would've at least went up to him to have a lil' talk. No need to escalate things with a cheapshot, but roughing him up a little bit would've been acceptable. A meathead like that needs to know that what he did was unacceptable.

(She did get him back later on with a nice crosscheck in front of the net though.)
There's a very fine line between being Chris Pronger and sticking up for a teammate when he/she is down and being Todd Bertuzzi and blatantly ending someones career as "retaliation". Bertuzzi is the ultimate ******* in my opinion, the worst man in hockey.

Old
03-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
This thread has really lowered my standards of society.

If a larger player basically mugged a smaller player in the corner, accused them of diving when it clearly was not, I would have gone after that ******** too. It's everybody's rink, it's a rec league not pro hockey.

Men are built stronger than woman and people should not abuse that advantage especially in any sport. This thread and the OP's encounters have shown the complete lack of class that some out there have. What it is so hard about just checking them instead of having to seperate them and the puck by using dominating force? In the end they both do the job, so why wouldn't you just do the fairer way instead?

Reverend Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 01:11 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

well thanks for the posts people, while I feel I handled the situation properly some of you disagree with my methods. Would I have reacted the same way had it been a male teammate? I don't know, the guys on my team are more than capable of standing up for themselves . Like most guys I was brought up to defend women, no way was she going to have to fight her own battles against someone weighing in at 250 or 150 for that matter. There's a time to let things slide and a time to kick some ass. And like I said from the start had the goon turned and apologized immediately all is forgiven, when he called her a diver **** hit the fan, this is supposed to be a fun league, it isn't competitive and the equipment we wear is bear minimum, we shouldn't have to ease up in the corners because some idiot has illusions that he's being scouted.

Last edited by Bring_Bak_Damphousse: 04-01-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:21 PM
Devil Dancer

The most aggressive skater on my team is a woman, and she consistently initiates contact in my no-checking league. I stand up for her if I feel like she's being treated unfairly, but for the most part she's the one starting ****, so I don't care if the opposing players give it back to her.

Devil Dancer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Canad93

Quote:

The problem is, people see it in two different lights.
A) Its a men's league that is allowing women to play, so they've got to step up and be able to take it; the environment is more male-oriented and competitive/aggressive
B) It is an unspoken intention of the arrangement that men are to tone it down so that the women can play with them, and it's more of a friendly environment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I'm not touching that one.

But I will add that anyone being rough at a coed game needs his ass kicked end of story. You did what I would have.

Some women have told me after skating into each other not to worry about it as they like to play that way. You know women these days have the "We're not girls, we're women" type things. I love women for not being weak nowadays.

I hope to see women in the NHL someday as people who can play and not as a novelty. They are getting better and better and someday it will be common place for rough stuff in the corner with the opposite sex even at an amature coed game.
I don't think we'll see that happen, and if it does, it will be in a long time. The game is growing a lot in North America, but it is still very very far behind, and understandably so. The Canadian women's hockey team, the best team in the world, practices with a season against 16 year old AAA players..

Canad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 03:55 PM
rinkrat22

Canad93, nope read the OP its COED, if it was Mens league and she's running around instigating, then by all means she knew what she signed up for. but in COED it is designed for men and women. lower key type of play, get to do something with the wife/GF. I'm sure she didn't sign up to get run by some guy thats (if I remember correctly) 250 lbs.
if it was say coed softball the women hit a smaller ball and there are different rules, if a woman was to join a mens softball league she would have to hit the 12" ball just like the boys. and yes I know its "HOCKEY" but its still marketed for males and females. dude should'a been knocked the **** out by his own teammates, for being a ******. never mind the girls teammates.

rinkrat22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Bort Sampson

I wouldn't have laid the guy out right then and there.

Was the play still going on? Did the guy even have the ball? Did you get a penalty?

There's a lot of things you left out.

What was the score in the game? How much time was left? Is checking allowed?

Whenever this would happen against one of our smaller guys, or even after a guy threw a cheap shot, I would just make it my job to make that guy's life for the rest of that game a living hell. I would shadow them, slash/raise sticks to prevent them from getting the puck, put my stick between their legs and push them over(which is illegal, but if you can do it quickly you can make it look like they tripped over both sticks), cross-check their arms/lower back/middle back. If the guy was really unskilled, you should have just kept waiting for him to put one hand on the stick and then gave him a solid slash across the upper portion of the stick. If they were talking it up before, you heckle them back. Let them know how much they suck, let them know that you're doing this because they did it to your team mate, let them know that they shouldn't dish it out if they can't take it, and let them know you're going to do it for the rest of the game because it's fun for you. Do everything legally. Then, you give that guy a little space in the corner so that they think you're not paying attention, and you knock them on their ass.

That's how you get back at the player and help your teammates. Don't address the symptom of the problem (big guy runs girl), address the problem (the guy). Cancel him out of the game and the problem is solved.

Also, did the guy viciously hit her, or did he just body her?

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 05:30 PM
stick9

I think Bort has it right, and it shouldn't matter if it's a guy or girl. I honestly don't think the girls want to be treated any differently. They are there to see how they match up against the guys. If you treat them differently you are doing them a huge disservice.

Funny only one of the many woman who post here have commented on this.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
DevilsFan38

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I think Bort has it right, and it shouldn't matter if it's a guy or girl. I honestly don't think the girls want to be treated any differently. They are there to see how they match up against the guys. If you treat them differently you are doing them a huge disservice.

Funny only one of the many woman who post here have commented on this.
Since you're looking for another woman's point of view, I completely agree with this. If I'm playing in a men's league I don't want or expect to be treated any differently than the guys.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-01-2010, 10:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
Since you're looking for another woman's point of view, I completely agree with this. If I'm playing in a men's league I don't want or expect to be treated any differently than the guys.
Apparently the 16 year old young lady i played with earlier today felt that way. She used the same lockeroom as the guys.

No joke.

I had never seen that before ever. You (women) have come a long way baby.

So yeah seriously she did more than once, last week i figured well maybe it was just something odd but she did it again this week. The guys are in there waiting for her to leave more or less before undressing.

She went into the shower in her clothes she came in and put on here compression shorts and sports bra out of sight and di the same thing after she was done.

The point was 5 minutes either way and some of us were nakie in there. I'm sure she could do without seeing a 42 year old man naked in a lockeroom.

But anyway I have been contemplating mentioning it to the rink manager that maybe she should be using the girl's lockeroom across the other side of the rink used for the officials.

But anyhew ..... been playing for 35 years or so and that was the first and second time i see that within 2 weeks times. Does she have a screw loose? Immature for her age and doesn;t realize she is now about 16 years old and should not feel like she is changing with her brothers?

Nuts!

I should add that she is fit and well developed and it made me feel uncomfortable I guess is my point. When you are 42 young women look 18 at 16 and in fact I cannot tell age difference in young women anymore that range from 16 to 22 or so.

I see this also when i look at my picture at 16 to 22 .... i'm like "who the hell is that guy anyway lol".

Old
04-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
I wouldn't have laid the guy out right then and there.

Was the play still going on? Did the guy even have the ball? Did you get a penalty?

There's a lot of things you left out.

What was the score in the game? How much time was left? Is checking allowed?

?
No he was penalized on the play, the ball was at his feet so pretty much right after he hit her, the whistle blew. Yeah I got a penalty and a game misconduct (for dropping the gloves) he got 2 minutes for the initial hit and 2 for pushing me. The game I believe was either 1-0 or 0-0. We were only five minutes into it. In the coed league if you get 3 penalties you are automatically ejected, he got his 3rd penalty in the second period so he was thrown out, he took a high sticking penalty than threw his stick which got him another 4minutes and an ejection. Obviously checking isn't allowed, if the stick comes above your waist at any time you are penalized, except with the follow through after a shot, that can obviously go over your waist. Contact isn't exactly frowned upon but absoultely no body checks of any kind. Usually the way to go is the guys can get alittle rougher with other guys and the girls get more physical with eachother. People seem to keep bringing up examples of how girls can get just as aggresive in ICE HOCKEY as the men, what I'm having trouble getting across is this isn't ice hockey, it is a very very low level of COED ball hockey, most of the girls who play don't know how to properly hold a stick, are constantly off side and couldn't get a ball to the net if there lives depended on it, and alot of the guys aren't any better. The guys on my team are made up of men from a higher division, but the guys we end up playing are typically very chippy, they come to every game giving 110% and don't seem to realise the league is set up almost more like a weekend softball tournament where everyones there to have fun than as an actual competetive league. Seriously there are competetive coed divisions but in this one you have alot of older people or even very young kids who just want to go out, get alittle bit of exercise doing something they enjoy, they don't want to be mugged in the corner by someone who takes things way to seriously.

Bring_Bak_Damphousse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-02-2010, 02:38 PM
naturalnumbas

I was playing on a men's league team one time, and the other team had a couple of girls playing for them. Well one shift I'm out doing my thing in front of the net, start backing in towards the D-man and the goalie and I start getting cross checked hard in the back. I thought it was excessive and I kinda threw a shoulder back. Play was stopped, things escalated and when we got pushing face to face I noticed she was a girl. So I apologized, and after that she slugged me lol. She got the extra 2 but she made her point.

Now I treat every player the same, with respect.

But if some guy is running over smaller players the league should do something.

naturalnumbas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:24 AM
hof2120

Well I've never been in a hockey fight to defend a girl, but I've been in plenty of fights to defend girls. I know it's not the same scenario at all, but you have to defend a woman, even if it means getting into a fight. At least that's the way I was raised. My most recent one was at a party at Pitt. Some doucher is hitting on my friend all night, making her uncomfortable. She shoots him down and he grabs her by the arm and tries to force himself onto her (keep in mind this is in the middle of a crowded frat house and no one's doing anything). I go off and beat the piss out of him. I think I might have seriously hurt him but we didn't stick around long enough to find out. I don't regret it for a second, though. You don't do that kind of ****. That's just scummy.

Old
04-04-2010, 09:59 PM
WDR357

Quote:
Apparently the 16 year old young lady i played with earlier today felt that way. She used the same lockeroom as the guys.

No joke.

I had never seen that before ever. You (women) have come a long way baby.

So yeah seriously she did more than once, last week i figured well maybe it was just something odd but she did it again this week. The guys are in there waiting for her to leave more or less before undressing.

She went into the shower in her clothes she came in and put on here compression shorts and sports bra out of sight and di the same thing after she was done.

The point was 5 minutes either way and some of us were nakie in there. I'm sure she could do without seeing a 42 year old man naked in a lockeroom.

But anyway I have been contemplating mentioning it to the rink manager that maybe she should be using the girl's lockeroom across the other side of the rink used for the officials.

But anyhew ..... been playing for 35 years or so and that was the first and second time i see that within 2 weeks times. Does she have a screw loose? Immature for her age and doesn;t realize she is now about 16 years old and should not feel like she is changing with her brothers?

Nuts!

I should add that she is fit and well developed and it made me feel uncomfortable I guess is my point. When you are 42 young women look 18 at 16 and in fact I cannot tell age difference in young women anymore that range from 16 to 22 or so.

I see this also when i look at my picture at 16 to 22 .... i'm like "who the hell is that guy anyway lol".
Hmmm, I've shared locker rooms with women/girls plenty of times. If it's a woman I don't know I try to be discrete or even warn her that I"m about to drop em but sometimes if I'm in there first, well......just change away and if they're offended walking in on me, not really my problem. And when it comes to adult women, I don't think there would ever be an issue. They're not nuns and I don't walk around naked either. I'm talking 5-7 seconds on nudity just getting the gear on or off. I have had a discussion about it with a woman I play with and her opinion was that it is not a big deal to her as long as nobody is overtly waving their johnson around. Overall, never been an issue. Only catch is if the girl is young, high school, etc, then I hold off on changing even if it means sitting around for twenty minutes after getting off the ice. That's only happened a few times though.

Plus it's cold in there.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 10:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDR357 View Post
Hmmm, I've shared locker rooms with women/girls plenty of times. If it's a woman I don't know I try to be discrete or even warn her that I"m about to drop em but sometimes if I'm in there first, well......just change away and if they're offended walking in on me, not really my problem. And when it comes to adult women, I don't think there would ever be an issue. They're not nuns and I don't walk around naked either. I'm talking 5-7 seconds on nudity just getting the gear on or off. I have had a discussion about it with a woman I play with and her opinion was that it is not a big deal to her as long as nobody is overtly waving their johnson around. Overall, never been an issue. Only catch is if the girl is young, high school, etc, then I hold off on changing even if it means sitting around for twenty minutes after getting off the ice. That's only happened a few times though.

Plus it's cold in there.
This girl was a minor for sure but developed ... yikes. I held off on changing as did the other teen to 25 year old boys in there. I started reading my hockey bag as to try not to stare at her.

I felt awkward honestly. I can see your point about an adult female, that probably would not bother me that much. But honestly it never happens either so this was unexpected and i know that rink has the girls change in the ref's lockeroom. they have 4 lockerooms besides the ref one so two lockerooms are used at a time and sometimes you can here women showering in the next one that shares a toilet so I wait until i think it is safe in there to go pee or whatever.

This stuff is strange for sure but really what else can you do but walk in on naked women once in a while because women need to play right?

EDIT: I have been Googling coed locker rooms and have found a ton of lawsuits filed by parents wanting their daughters to share lockerooms with their male teamates. I am actually kind of shocked by the articles I am reading. I guess I really am old and old fashioned?

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-04-2010 at 10:22 PM.
Old
04-04-2010, 10:46 PM
Seanconn*
mission accomplished

I'm all for playing coed hockey if the girls shower with the guys now a days..... whoops

but really, coed hockey fights, should never happen. period. it's Co-ed hockey FFS! why would there be fighting of any sort, regardless of whether it is male vs male, female vs female!

and guys shouldn't go out of their way to injure girls playing hockey, even ice hockey. (sure they wanted to be treated the same, and want the game to be competitive, but is it really worth causing a girl to get injured while playing hockey?

No matter what Co-ed hockey is in some of your minds, Co-ed Hockey is still pretty freaking recreational in my opinion!!!

and while I'm by no means saying "don't hit" girls... I am saying have some restraint, when opposite sexes are participating in a physically dangerous sport like hockey.

Seanconn* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:22 AM
kirsi

Quote:
This girl was a minor for sure but developed ... yikes. I held off on changing as did the other teen to 25 year old boys in there. I started reading my hockey bag as to try not to stare at her.

I felt awkward honestly. I can see your point about an adult female, that probably would not bother me that much. But honestly it never happens either so this was unexpected and i know that rink has the girls change in the ref's lockeroom. they have 4 lockerooms besides the ref one so two lockerooms are used at a time and sometimes you can here women showering in the next one that shares a toilet so I wait until i think it is safe in there to go pee or whatever.

This stuff is strange for sure but really what else can you do but walk in on naked women once in a while because women need to play right?

EDIT: I have been Googling coed locker rooms and have found a ton of lawsuits filed by parents wanting their daughters to share lockerooms with their male teamates. I am actually kind of shocked by the articles I am reading. I guess I really am old and old fashioned?
I would absolutely never share a locker room with males. I understand some parents may want their daughter to feel part of the team or whatever and thus try to get them in there, but.. do people have no modesty or something anymore? I bet the guys' wives wouldnt want them changing with other women, and I wouldn't want other men potentially looking at me.

As for fighting... People shouldn't be idiots and clobber a girl (or anyone). If some guy did that to me and nobody said anything to him, I'd let him know how I felt. But I don't think I would fight anybody; I'm small.

kirsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Turboflex*

I signed up for the wrong league one year in university and ended up on a co-ed team. It was so ****ing bad. Supposedly these girls were varsity too, they just SUCKED. I quit after 2 games. AVOID co-ed leagues at all costs, they are just bad hockey + awkward social moments (when you knock down or cross check some chick).

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:07 AM
stick9

Quote:
I played in this summer league a few years back and we had three girls on our team. They used their own room to change, no biggie. However, they never really seemed like part of the team. They weren't in the room before games when talked about the game or the other team and the weren't there after the game where we talked about how badly we got beat.

There was a woman one time that changed with us. She strip down naked, she had compression shorts and a sports bra under her gear and just put her cloths on over that. As long as everyone is an adult I don't see a problem, but it's really their call.

stick9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Turboflex*

Plus you cant have as much fun in the locker room if there's chicks around, how are you supposed to pound beer while you're dehydrated and then make mysoginist & vulgar locker room banter if there's women around?? That's one of the best parts of rec league hockey.

Turboflex* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
There was a pretty big debate on this subject a while back. The thread ended up getting locked, but here it is if you want to read through it: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=150517

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Pog Form

Quote:
Originally Posted by stick9 View Post
I played in this summer league a few years back and we had three girls on our team. They used their own room to change, no biggie. However, they never really seemed like part of the team. They weren't in the room before games when talked about the game or the other team and the weren't there after the game where we talked about how badly we got beat.
I played in a coed league last year. For each game there would be three rooms. One room for the guys on one team, one room for the guys on the other team, and then a third room for the girls on both teams to share. Made great sense logistically, and obviously helps to avoid the male/female issue, but it didn't really lend itself to team bonding as you mentioned.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote