HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Notices

Will Osgood be here next year??

Old
04-04-2010, 10:59 PM
CC Chiefs*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarcastro View Post
I think RC's point was that Ozzie might rather retire than sit on the bench for 70 out of 82 games next season. I hadn't thought about it, but he might be right.
But he knows if he retires his salary stays on the books and hurts the Wings cap. So I don't think he will retire.

CC Chiefs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:03 PM
Swedish Puck Mafia
Break The HeMan Down

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSandMan View Post
Osgood looked much better as the game went on. I was impressed with his level of play in the 3rd. I hope after Wings clinch the PO, he get's the rest of the starts.

And to be honest, I would consider starting Osgood for the playoffs if his conditioning continues to progress.

Osgood will be here next season, he is under contract after all.
For the love of God, no. Howard has carried the team for a good chunk of the year, now you want to pull the rug out from under him? At least give Jimmy the first few starts, and if he underperforms, let Ozzy get the start.

Think of it as the same situation as the 08 playoffs. Let Hasek start, if he's good then good, if he's bad then let Ozzy start.

Swedish Puck Mafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 11:54 PM
Marky9er

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik jr View Post
i doubt howard would have saved the 2nd goal but he would not have played it the same way.

he would not have been as far outside his crease, and would have been able to move once the pass was made.

i am slightly surprised anyone is defending carcillo's goal.
THATS WHAT HOWARD DOES. IN. EVERY. SITUATION.

Marky9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:12 AM
jaster
glendeningforcaptain

I like Ozzie, have met him a few times and he's a nice guy. Has backstopped this team to two Stanley Cups. Has always been a great teammate. Good mental fortitude. But if he retires and sticks Detroit with his cap hit, I will cease being a fan, to say the least. Imo, he won't do that though, thankfully. He'll be back next season.

jaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:59 AM
MrSandMan*

People are quick to turn their backs on the man that helped carry this team to two Stanley Cups victories, not to mention the finals last year.

I have nothing but respect for the Oz and I'm thankful for everything he's been through with this team.

And to be honest, I thought Howard looked worse against Nashville the other night than Ozzie did against the Flyers... and the defense left Osgood out to dry on the 2nd game from this back-to-back weekend losses.

Osgood didn't lose the game, the team simply let him down.

MrSandMan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:34 AM
VeGor
Datsyuk

Didn't Ozzie have a worse GAA last year? Nobody expected him to be that good in the post season. Yet he was. One thing I learned is not to write off Osgood. Because when it really mattered, he really did step up big time. And lot of people wrote him off at that point. And one should not underestimate the presence of a veteren player such as him in the locker.

VeGor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:36 AM
ProPAIN
Waar is da feestje?!

Just one more year guys, just one more year. Each time Osgood is in net i'm ****ting my pants even with a simple dump from the other team. You never know Ozzie will just deflect it in his own net. .

Last night did not help his case and I think it is safe to say there is no question about who should start the playoffs. I have confidence in Jimmy.

About next year, maybe we can workout something with a team that needs a veteran goalie (I mean, if you can trade Toskala, you can trade anyone). We could maybe get a pick or work in Osgood+picks+prospects for a decent skater and bring up Larsson or McCollum (I don't know, anything but Osgood for me)

ProPAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:11 AM
TheOtherOne

The goals he let in weren't complete softies, but lord it would be nice if he'd make an impressive save once in a while. If every goal that goes in is a decent scoring chance you can't put all the blame on the goalie, but you sure as hell wish he would have done it better.

Ozzy has said himself to the public- he can't play for **** if he gets inconsistent starts (I'm paraphrasing). So he's of no use to us. ****, if the price of having a halfway decent goalie in net is throwing away a few games, I'd rather not take the risk. We can't afford to lose points on the off chance that he eventually gets back to his former self. And he's no use as a backup because that means every game he plays he's coming in cold and it'll take him a period and a half to get himself back to average.

It may be a valid excuse for him, but I say we can't afford it.

TheOtherOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:05 AM
gamefan14

The 2nd and 4th goals were all on the defence, The 3rd was argueable on the D/center and the first was all Ozzie so im not sure what you're all complaining about. If howard was in nets today the wings probobly would of lost too.

gamefan14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:18 AM
HockeyinHD

Hey, it's an Osgood thread! Sweet!

If Holland has any sense at all he's going to move Ozzie in the offseason. Osgood is not and has never been a guy who has performed well getting sparse game action. He's got to split starts, at least, in order to play his best. Whatever that is.

Detroit would honestly get better performance out of the backup spot by going out and getting a guy at around 750k who is actually a backup, used to playing in that role, and is able to be consistent in it.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:25 AM
sarcastro

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by yooper wings fan View Post
But he knows if he retires his salary stays on the books and hurts the Wings cap. So I don't think he will retire.
Can't they just Niedermayer him and say he's suspended and not retired? Or are we suggesting he will file his paperwork just to screw the Wings and stick them with a cap hit?

As unhappy as he might be about not playing much this season, I don't think he'd do that. He wants to get invited back for alumni events, after all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
Hey, it's an Osgood thread! Sweet!

If Holland has any sense at all he's going to move Ozzie in the offseason. Osgood is not and has never been a guy who has performed well getting sparse game action. He's got to split starts, at least, in order to play his best. Whatever that is.

Detroit would honestly get better performance out of the backup spot by going out and getting a guy at around 750k who is actually a backup, used to playing in that role, and is able to be consistent in it.
There aren't a lot of scenarios where Holland could trade Ozzie, so I don't think it has anything to do with how much sense he's got.

Who's going to take him after seeing the Wings throw him away because he can't even give you 15-20 games a year as a backup without killing your team? Or are you suggesting the Wings send picks along with him to grease the skids?

There's pretty clear consensus that the Wings would be better off with a cheaper backup, and one that looks better than Ozzie has looked this year.

There's also a pretty clear consensus that they're stuck with each other next season since they can't dump him or buy him out and nobody wants to trade for him. He's going to be around next season unless he retires, and I really don't see that happening.

sarcastro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:39 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Can't they just Niedermayer him and say he's suspended and not retired? Or are we suggesting he will file his paperwork just to screw the Wings and stick them with a cap hit?

As unhappy as he might be about not playing much this season, I don't think he'd do that. He wants to get invited back for alumni events, after all.

There aren't a lot of scenarios where Holland could trade Ozzie, so I don't think it has anything to do with how much sense he's got.

Who's going to take him after seeing the Wings throw him away because he can't even give you 15-20 games a year as a backup without killing your team? Or are you suggesting the Wings send picks along with him to grease the skids?

There's pretty clear consensus that the Wings would be better off with a cheaper backup, and one that looks better than Ozzie has looked this year.

There's also a pretty clear consensus that they're stuck with each other next season since they can't dump him or buy him out and nobody wants to trade for him. He's going to be around next season unless he retires, and I really don't see that happening.
Good idea about the Niedermayer-esque suspension / pseudo-retirement. However, the Wings would get into trouble if they attempted to circumvent the cap in that manner, working with Osgood in a handshake agreement. For the relatively small amount of salary Osgood is due, it is probably better to just accept the hit. If the space is really that much of an issue, we would do better to dump Ozzie like New Jersey did with Malakhov's contract. Or, we could cook up a groin injury or something that would keep Ozzie on LTIR all season.

However, I agree with the way you finished your post. Ozzie will be back next season, even if it means he only plays in 10 or 12 games. First, he won't retire. He enjoys the game too much, and he still has a year under contract. Secondly, I didn't notice anyone in this thread touch on the relationship between Osgood and Howard. All indications are that they've got a good friendship and that Osgood has become a mentor & supporter for Howard. That gives him value even if he isn't playing.

So, I think the situation in net next season will be just as it is right now. Howard will be the #1, and Ozzie will be the veteran backup. A year from now, though, we'll be shopping for a goalie.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:10 AM
HockeyinHD

Quote:
I think Osgood can be a viable NHL starter, particularly in the East, for a number of playoff-ish teams in serious need of an NHL goaltender who is more than capable of being lights out in the playoffs.

Quote:
Who's going to take him after seeing the Wings throw him away because he can't even give you 15-20 games a year as a backup without killing your team?
Osgood as a backup < Osgood as a starter.

HockeyinHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:11 AM
DarkReign

Forgetting his two Cup rings as a starter...

For a guy who hasnt started a game in almost 2 months, I'd say he did alright.

I was expecting a trouncing in this game (due to Ozzie's rust, mostly). Philly was desperate, Wings werent, on the second game of a B2B w/travel, Ozzie starting for the first time since Christ was born...

It was a total setup for failure and Babcock knew it. So he threw Osgood in there against Boucher...basically his best chance to outduel the other guy.

He didnt, but he didnt embarass himself either. He needs another start in the last 3 games. Preferably after they get 100pts, but whatever.

Get 3 pts in the next 2 games against C-bus and start Ozzy against Chicago for the last game of the year.

OR...

Start Howard for the first game against the Jackets and then go with Osgood in the second game, Howie in the last game (Chi).

DarkReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:31 AM
Huddy*

Send a message via Yahoo to Huddy*
So basically the haters of Osgood want this for next year..

1) Howard
2) some countryman this year that we could sign or one of our own prospects?

If Ozzie doesnt get re-signed which Im sure he will...I would like to see him be retained by the Red Wings as a goalie coach. He obvi has helped Howard out this year and I wouldnt be so sure Howard would have the numbers he has currently, if Ozzie wasn't there...

I feel tho Ozzie will be like cheli--hang on till as long as he can...in that case

Huddy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
14ari13

How this turned out to be this long thread?!

14ari13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:49 AM
doublejack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeytown93 View Post
So basically the haters of Osgood want this for next year..

1) Howard
2) some countryman this year that we could sign or one of our own prospects?

If Ozzie doesnt get re-signed which Im sure he will...I would like to see him be retained by the Red Wings as a goalie coach. He obvi has helped Howard out this year and I wouldnt be so sure Howard would have the numbers he has currently, if Ozzie wasn't there...

I feel tho Ozzie will be like cheli--hang on till as long as he can...in that case
Barring a miracle, next season is the end of the line for Osgood. He's already in hanging-on mode, and has been since we signed him for cheap after the lockout. Nobody is going to be knocking on the door of a nearly 40 year old goalie that has performed poorly in the regular season for multiple consecutive years.

Holland also won't make the mistake of keeping Osgood around after next season. The writing is on the wall. I'm not opposed to keeping him as a coach / practice goalie. I think Jim Bedard has done a good job, though, and wouldn't want Ozzie to take his place. Ideally I'd like both on the payroll.

doublejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:03 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyinHD View Post
I think Osgood can be a viable NHL starter, particularly in the East, for a number of playoff-ish teams in serious need of an NHL goaltender who is more than capable of being lights out in the playoffs.
I don't think you'll find a whole lot of people that share that perception that Osgood can be a viable NHL starter. It may be true, but based on what he's done this season it would be pretty tough to make that leap at this point. Doesn't help his case that he makes about twice the going rate for old timeshare goalies who may or may not be finished.

We also don't know that he's still capable of being lights-out in the playoffs, and neither do any of those East teams that would be in the market for a goalie.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
sarcastro

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14ari13 View Post
How this turned out to be this long thread?!
What you say!!

Old
04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
MrSandMan*

It's hilarious that people are already counting on a rookie netminder to carry this team in the playoffs. Howard has played well this regular season, but to think he'll handle the pressure going deep is absurd. People are already trading the man that can and will carry the team deep, the man that is proven.

Howard for #1 next season? Mmmhm this guy named Steve Mason says hi? No guarantees Howard will be good next year. Again, Wings have Osgood to bail out his keyster.

Howard looked shaky against Nashville. I hope Osgood gets 2 more starts before playoffs, because he could very well be the number 1 if/when Howard falters. And if Osgood continues to progress in to form, I say sit Howard and start Osgood in the playoffs.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:23 AM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Howard for #1 next season? Mmmhm this guy named Steve Mason says hi?
You don't want to play that game. For every sophomore slump I can dig out a goalie who impressed season 1 and continued to impress season 2. Need an example? Ryan Miller.

Quote:
No guarantees Howard will be good next year. Again, Wings have Osgood to bail out his keyster.
So no guarantee Howard will be as good next year but it IS guaranteed that Osgood can bail him out? 1+1=???

Quote:
Howard looked shaky against Nashville. I hope Osgood gets 2 more starts before playoffs, because he could very well be the number 1 if/when Howard falters. And if Osgood continues to progress in to form, I say sit Howard and start Osgood in the playoffs.
You haven't lost your touch from the other boards.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Brodie
watcher on the walls

There's no way this team gives up on Ozzie with one year remaining on his deal unless it's for an awesome return. If Osgood is willing to embrace being a backup and prepare himself for life as a 20 game a year guy, he still has value to the club.

Brodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:15 PM
sarcastro

Quote:
It's hilarious that people are already counting on a rookie netminder to carry this team in the playoffs. Howard has played well this regular season, but to think he'll handle the pressure going deep is absurd. People are already trading the man that can and will carry the team deep, the man that is proven.

Howard for #1 next season? Mmmhm this guy named Steve Mason says hi? No guarantees Howard will be good next year. Again, Wings have Osgood to bail out his keyster.

1. If coughing up 4 goals, several in very ugly fashion, is "continued progress", then Ozzie is done and there's no point in further discussion.

2. Plenty of goalies have won Cups and made deep playoff runs in their playoff debuts. Jiggy won the Smythe in 2003 in his first playoff. Roy won the Smythe in 1986 as a rookie against Mike Vernon, who took the Flames to the Finals as a rookie himself. Ward won it in 2006 as a rookie. Kipper took the Flames to game 7 in 2004 in his first year as a playoff starter. Ranford won the Smythe in 1990 as a first-time playoff starter. And so on.

These days it has become more and more likely that a rookie will do at least as good in the playoffs as anybody else. If they can stay composed, they have an advantage over shooters who haven't seen them and don't have full scouting reports on them yet because they're so new to the league.

You need your goalie to get hot, that's basically all there is to it. Ozzie hasn't been hot for 11 months. Howard has been either hot or warm for the past 2 months straight. It's much more likely that he'll be the better choice in the playoffs.

I think if there are a couple games left and the Wings' slot is locked up they will give Ozzie another start or two just in case they end up needing him, but that looks like it will be an absolute last-ditch effort judging from the way Babcock has been riding Howard the last 4 months.

Old
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
Eaglepride*
#5 in Wotan we trust

Think he'll remain here yes he's "only" a playoff goalie but he can be a good mentor for Howard and easily takeover in tough situations.

Eaglepride* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:52 PM
MrSandMan*

Quote:
1. If coughing up 4 goals, several in very ugly fashion, is "continued progress", then Ozzie is done and there's no point in further discussion.
By that logic, Howard shouldn't start in the playoffs either - Maybe Holland should call up McCollum or Larsson to get the playoff start?

Nashville vs Detroit - Jimmy Howard / 24 SA / 4 GA / 20 -Saves / .833 SV%

Howard was even worse than Osgood against a team with WORSE offense than the Flyers.... not to mention he was on home ice with a fresh team in front of him. Oh, and he wasn't the cold goalie coming in.

Osgood was rusty and got better as the game went on. Wings are locked for the playoffs. I say start getting Osgood ready for another long run.