2010 Offseason

Old
04-05-2010, 03:11 AM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
What Minnesota should do is send Wellman down to the minors for a few years of seasoning. Keep Almond up here. Sign Sheppard to a league minimum. Drudge around and see if you can pick up a bargain at center as well. You roll into the season with Almond/Sheppard/Brodziak as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers. Koivu at first.

You ship of Kobasew, Brunette and Miettinen at the deadline.

Right now, this team doesn't need to make any major splashes at the deadline or in the offseason until contracts are removed from the organization that need to be.

You also force Backstrom to waiver his NTC and move him ASAP.

Basically get rid of the big contracts so you got a lot more flexibility to work with and to put a stamp on this team.

2-3 years of rebuilding is not going to kill this team no matter what anyone says.
Why 2-3 years of rebuilding would kill this team

1. Besides the fact that Wellman is only signed through next year (and signed with Minnesota due to the opportunity to play in the NHL rather than spend 2-3 years in the AHL), why would you not use a young gun if this team is going to be hypothetically dismantled? I mean, it's not like there are any other big guns who aren't getting a shot in Houston.

2. Technically you can't force Backstrom to wave his NTC unless he doesn't hit the incentives after next year. That's the point of a NTC and anything less kills any trade value. And trading a guy with no trade value won't help out your team at all in the future.

3. There's a total of three big contracts (Backstrom, Havlat and Bouchard - four if you include Schultz's length) and by forcing them out, it's going to be hard to get full value. Plus given how you have to re-sign a couple of the core players in the next couple years (Koivu, Burns) it would only make sense if you could get these guys signed long-term and then re-build around them and the three top two picks which would surely happen.

4. There's a salary floor that the team has to hit.

5. It will take more than 2-3 years given the pick which is being "built around" won't be seen in St. Paul until Fall 2011 or 2012 and will still be 18 at that time. Even Crosby didn't turn things around in the first year.

6. Given the apathy most of the fanbase has for the team, what makes you think they will sit through another three-four years of rebuilding? Doesn't look like that worked over at Target Center and it didn't work for the Twins during the 90s.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:07 AM
BigT2002

1. There is only two ways that I am giving up any first round pick that is future:

- We know we'll finished at the top of the division (not likely next year, Vancouver is too deep and unless Henrik or Luongo break their femurs it'll be theres again next year)

- The draft is so thin, that anything short of lottery will probably never see the light of day anyways

2. Chicago will want more. And with that being said, I'd be more pressed to attempt to make a pass at Seto if the asking price is too much. Way younger and played for Richards already. That is worth a 1st rounder.

However I like this type of deal, sure they wouldn't:

Chicago Gets:
2011 1st round
2010 2nd round
2010 2nd round
Harding
Ebbett

Minny Gets:
Sharp
Versteeg

3. In all honesty, Wellman. I'm not sold on Cullen on this team for the asking price. More teams will put big $ in his face because they believe they need it more than us. I would like to see Versteeg though.

4. Latendresse is a RFA for the next 3 years. So sign him to a two year deal and tell him his money is waiting for him if he can produce what we need him to. If he can hit the 30 goal mark two more times, throw him a 6year deal at around a $4.3M cap hit. He'll still be a RFA if he doesn't in those two years and we can make adjustments based on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
what do you guys do with Sheppard this summer?
If there is a team that wants his rights, I'll be willing to listen. However, I'm not about to send this guy to the wolves regardless of all the chirping I do because of him. To lose a 1st round for a 3rd round kinda is a slap in the face. I think this offseason, you put Wellman, Almond, Pressnar, and Sheppard all in a training camp that helps them produce at the level we need them to produce in order to stay at the club level. Make them work for it, but also help them out. This is why you have position coaches for. Get them in there to help these guys find their roles and score. I want the Sheppard that was putting up 60+ points at the amateur level to show up.

Quote:
What Minnesota should do is send Wellman down to the minors for a few years of seasoning. Keep Almond up here. Sign Sheppard to a league minimum. Drudge around and see if you can pick up a bargain at center as well. You roll into the season with Almond/Sheppard/Brodziak as the 2nd, 3rd and 4th line centers. Koivu at first.
As Gopher already said, Wellman signed with this team because the selling point was he would be playing at the top level. Right now, he is showing more grit and heart than 80% of this team is. You can't reward that desire to push for the next level by sending them to Houston. Same with Almond. Far as I'm concerned they both stay at the NHL level. Get the position coaches in there to help Wellman find the next level in order to take the #2 center position, #3 as Almond and #4 as Brodziak and then rotate them through the game if need be. You have to keep in mind that Kyle is a checking forward and he isn't used to the minutes he's putting up on a 2nd line. I love having the guy here and on that line, but it really isn't his position to be on a scoring line.

Quote:
You ship of Kobasew, Brunette and Miettinen at the deadline.
Brunette will retire a Wild. Period. That isn't going to ever change. That is like saying Lidstrom or Modadno would never be signed by the Red Wings or Stars because he isn't producing like they used to. I'm still trying to figure out where the hate comes from Chucky. The guy is a forechecking machine and when he is on the line with Clutterbuck and Brodziak (the way it was supposed to be) they shut down the offense of the other team quickly. It was splitting it up and Chuck getting hurt which doomed that energy line. Mittens can go, but it won't happen I don't think. Expect him to drop to the 3rd line and Clutterbuck to the 4th line. No one will take on his salary, regardless of how many goals he has. No size compared to what they could get elsewhere for that cost.

Quote:
Right now, this team doesn't need to make any major splashes at the deadline or in the offseason until contracts are removed from the organization that need to be.
#2 Center and a #1 Linesmen for the scoring lines. The energy line and checking lines are perfect. Defense could use a little work after the Top 4, but I'm not too stressed about it.

Quote:
You also force Backstrom to waiver his NTC and move him ASAP.
Can't do that. It is his decision, and as I've said numerous times....Niklas loves it in this state and loves this team. He isn't going to waive it just because we don't like his contract being that high. And for the most part, this team will be terrible if it wasn't for him. Too many lapses in defensive matchups and poor puck control in our own zone.

Quote:
Basically get rid of the big contracts so you got a lot more flexibility to work with and to put a stamp on this team.
There are not any big contracts short of Zidlicky's $4M, Backstrom's $6M, and Havlats $5M. For what they do and what they mean for this team....that is pretty damn good. The only contract that needs to go away is Schultz's $3.8M that he's making. Too much for a Bottom 6 defensemen.

Quote:
2-3 years of rebuilding is not going to kill this team no matter what anyone says.
Actually 3 years probably will. And this was year #1, so that means next year is Year #2. There is a very short attention span for fans in this state and while there is nothing else on other than the T-wolves, they'll find something else to watch. Right now, ticket prices for next year are absurd for the product on the ice. My Season Tikcets went from $65 to $72 per seat. Factor in 41 games next year (1 home game in Finland) and that comes out to about $800 more for a team that hasn't seen the playoffs in 2 years. Also doesn't account for parking (usually $500 for the season) and beverages and food (average that out to around $100/game) and you are costing your ticket holders about $14k in the long run, for lower bowl seats that are not even on the glass or on the sides. When is it enough?

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:35 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Well We dont have a 2010 first, and JVR isn't readily available.

Backstrom

for
Briere and prospect

But that doesnt seem worth it for you guys(though backstrom hasn't had a good year, but he looks awesome tonight vs Vancouver)
Backstrom has a full NTC through 2010-11 & a NTC based on achieving certain statistical results in 2011-12 & 2012-13. He isn't going anywhere.

[Edit] I should have read the whole thread first. Backstrom's NTC has already been discussed... but I'm going to leave it up since a lot of peeps don't seem to get it. He is not going anywhere.

Last edited by UMD05: 04-05-2010 at 10:44 AM.
UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:44 AM
mnwildgophers

Bouchard coming back ruins a lot of plans that we may have because if he comes back, there's 4 mil gone away from the cap, and I don't think that Fletch will be able to spend over it because he doesn't want to handcuff himself in case he does come back.

I agree that most fans don't want to go to a game where the on-ice product is horrible, I was watching the Wolves game last night before the Wild, they are horrible. I couldn't help but start laughing every time they missed a shot. I don't want the Wild to become like this, while this year has been frustrating, we did learn a lot about our new GM and I think he'll be able to push us into the playoffs next year.

Backstrom won't be moving, he had a down year, but look at the way he played last night. I hope he has his "mojo" back. lol

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:45 AM
BigT2002

My "perfect world" scenario if my trade happens would have the team looking like this:

Brunette-Koivu-Sharp
Latendresse-Versteeg/Wellman-Havlat
Kobasew-Wellman/Versteeg-Mittens
Clutterbuck-Brodziak-Nolan
Almond

Zanon-Zidlicky
Burns-Barker
Schultz-Stoner

Lose:
Scott
Hnidy
Boogaard
Sheppard
Bouchard
Harding

Backstrom
Khobalkajdkj

EDIT: Rotate out Almond and Wellman every so often to play the position. When the time is right, or we lose Nolan in the offseason. Move Mittens to 4th line, and upgrade Almond to the 3rd line wing.

Last edited by BigT2002: 04-05-2010 at 11:18 AM.
Old
04-05-2010, 11:06 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
My "perfect world" scenario if my trade happens would have the team looking like this:

Brunette-Koivu-Sharp
Latendresse-Versteeg/Wellman-Havlat
Kobasew-Wellman/Versteeg-Mittens
Clutterbuck-Almond-Nolan

Zanon-Zidlicky
Burns-Barker
Schultz-Stoner

Lose:
Scott
Hnidy
Boogaard
Sheppard
Bouchard
Harding

Backstrom
Khobalkajdkj
1) Where's Brodziak?

2) Why not give Noreau a look sometime next season? Stoner seemed like a decent shut-down defender, but what about Noreau who has a "booming" shot from the point?

Old
04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
1) Where's Brodziak?

2) Why not give Noreau a look sometime next season? Stoner seemed like a decent shut-down defender, but what about Noreau who has a "booming" shot from the point?
Zidlicky, Barker & Burns

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:16 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
1) Where's Brodziak?

Crap. I knew I forgot someone....Put him on the 4th line and have Almond and Wellman split time varying on who is playing better. They obviously do not have to clear waivers to be sent down to Houston, so rotate them out and let them get some experience here, but also play down there.

2) Fine, give him a go. The final d spot on the team is open to basically anyone. I was just more impressed with Stoner out of all of them. We have guys like Falk too who need to come up and play. Not like they'll be playing a crapload of minutes. Get them on the PP or PK depending on specialty. Let Burns, Zanon, and Zidlicky mentor them. Keep Nick far afar away.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:32 AM
mnwildgophers

I guess I just feel that Noreau deserves a chance, but we are kind of set on D for a while, let Cuma and Scandella develop down there.

Brodziak can play the 3rd line with Clutter and Kobasew, I really liked that line. I think that we should be giving Wellman and Almond chances, but Almond my benefit more from playing in the AHL again, probably just let Ebbett go via FA. We'll have to wait and see, I just would love to see a scoring winger on Koivu's right side. In saying that, Mittens has 20 goals on this year, I can't imagine if someone who could hit the net would be on that line, he could have like 30 goals with the way Bruno and Koivu set him up. I think this should be our biggest need to address.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:50 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Responses from NJ fans about Harding

1. Think that they can get TWO better goalie prospects in this draft with their 2nd and 6th round picks

2. Would rather sign a college FA then trade a 2nd & 6th rounder for a 25 year old with NHL experience

3. Have A LOT of faith (maybe some of it blind) in their GM

Old
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
I guess I just feel that Noreau deserves a chance, but we are kind of set on D for a while, let Cuma and Scandella develop down there.

Brodziak can play the 3rd line with Clutter and Kobasew, I really liked that line. I think that we should be giving Wellman and Almond chances, but Almond my benefit more from playing in the AHL again, probably just let Ebbett go via FA. We'll have to wait and see, I just would love to see a scoring winger on Koivu's right side. In saying that, Mittens has 20 goals on this year, I can't imagine if someone who could hit the net would be on that line, he could have like 30 goals with the way Bruno and Koivu set him up. I think this should be our biggest need to address.
Having Wellman and Almond playing this great gives us leverage on the #2 center spot if we have patience. So you are right, but it is all about getting the right kid to play here. I'd wonder what Vanek could do in the West......and with how crappy he's been playing this year, asking price from the Sabres might not be that high either. Hell, even Horton from Florida would be a vast improvement. Move em to wing, plus you can play him at Center if need be.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
nickschultzfan

Classic Wild fans wants to rush Almond and Wellman. Put them in the AHL next year.

Deal #1
Backstrom for Sharp + Huet. Chicago dumps Huet's bad contract and gets a #1 goalie. Wild get a RW for Koivu.

Deal #2
Bouchard + Miettinen for Briere. If Bouchard isn't playing, this deal doesn't happen. Wild just use that cap space to sign Plekanec, maybe Jokinen. Philly dumps a terrible contract, gets scoring depth on the RW side. Cap hits the same.

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Lats-Briere/Plekanec-Havlat
Clutter-Brodz-Kobasew
Shep/Boogy-Ebbett-Shep/Earl

Burns-Barker
Zannon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau

Harding
Huet

Not a bad line-up. In a few years, maybe Wellman, Gillies, and Almond can replace the more expensive older players. Without the Wild's terrible first 20 games when they were learning the new system, they would be in the playoff race.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:13 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Classic Wild fans wants to rush Almond and Wellman. Put them in the AHL next year.

Deal #1
Backstrom for Sharp + Huet. Chicago dumps Huet's bad contract and gets a #1 goalie. Wild get a RW for Koivu.

Deal #2
Bouchard + Miettinen for Briere. If Bouchard isn't playing, this deal doesn't happen. Wild just use that cap space to sign Plekanec, maybe Jokinen. Philly dumps a terrible contract, gets scoring depth on the RW side. Cap hits the same.

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Clutter-Brodz-Kobasew

Burns-Barker
Zannon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau

Harding
Huet

Not a bad line-up. In a few years, maybe Wellman, Gillies, and Almond can replace the more expensive older players. Without the Wild's terrible first 20 games when they were learning the new system, they would be in the playoff race.
I don't think you realize just how bad Briere's and Huet's contracts are.

This could cripple us for 5-8 years

Old
04-05-2010, 12:28 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
I don't think you realize just how bad Briere's and Huet's contracts are.

This could cripple us for 5-8 years
No so. At all.

Huet's contract is for 2 more years. If he didn't work out next season, you bury him in the minors. There won't be a stigma, because we didn't sign him to that contract.

Briere's cap hit is terrible, but with Bouchard off the books, it would only add a 2.5m cap hit for a more productive player. Not a bad trade off. Plus, in a few seasons, Briere could be easily traded to a team with an internal budget who is well below the cap. He'll only be paid 2m. When you are a team 14 milion under the cap because of your own budget, who cares whether you are 14 million or 10 million under the cap with "fake dollars", because the real dollar amount is low.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

Deal #1

Deal #2

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Clutter-Brodz-Kobasew

Burns-Barker
Zannon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau

Harding
Huet

Wellman will most likely be playing in the NHL next year because he signed here because of playing time, I think he'll be a good player. Almond should probably be in the AHL next year developing his game, it looks like he might turn out to be an effective grinder, which we have too many of.

First off, we can't trade Backstrom. I don't think there is any reason to trade him away. He had a down year, but I'm convinced he will bounce back, and he wouldn't leave I don't think. He has a NTC. Taking Huet would be horrible, I don't want any part of that contract.

Secondly, the Briere contract wouldn't help us out. I think that we would be better off just staying the course and trying to make some key FA's, and drafting AND "developing" well. This is our key, and we have to wait what Richards will do after one full season of implementing his system. I'm excited to see where we will be next year.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:30 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
At this point, Wellman is leaps and bounds better than Sheppard ever was, not to mention quite a few other players who made their trek through the AHL. Once again though, I hope that you at least read where I said they should be sent down and have one of them up at a time. We get them for basically an entire season that way without having them need to clear waivers at all.

Quote:
Deal #1
Huet makes $5M for quite a few years, and it is for a subpar goalie that would be riding pine for Harding? Neither of these goalies deserve to be riding the #1 slot full time. At least Backstrom can win us the game.

Quote:
Deal #2
This would need to be a trade deadline deal then. Who is going to take on Bouchard after he hasn't played for essentially 1.5 years in the NHL because of concussion symptoms? Also, you just crippled us since Mittens contract is up in 2 years I believe, Briere's 8 year deal has 6 more to go dude. So we get rid of an injury player and one who can't get it on net, for just one player who can't stay healthy and hasn't lived up to any expectations without having Thomas Vanek and Chris Drury playing with him.

If Bouchard doesn't play next year, he is still LTIR as well. Only reason they would make the trade. And we wouldn't have any capspace to sign Jokinen either. How do you expect to sign Koivu later in the year since he will be a UFA after the 2010-2011 season? Moreover, Burns is a year behind him in that category as well.

Quote:
Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Clutter-Brodz-Kobasew

Burns-Barker
Zannon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau

Harding
Huet
You keep Boogaard and Sheppard why? Because they were drafted here and one happens to have a high number of jersey sales in the Minnesota region? Neither of these players gain anything from being on this team, and you hinder Sheppard even more by keeping him on the 4th line where he won't do anything to produce except to skate around. The only good thing about the 3rd line is that it puts back together our forechecking/energy line to at least give the bigger guys a rest against teams with more depth than us.

Quote:
So many of these players have NTC's and NMC's that you have in these deals on both sides, that none of this will happen. The reason the Chicago ones make more sense is because we know that Chicago will need to do something regardless. Philly is stuck with Briere no matter how much their fans believe they can get rid of him. It is the same wishful thinking as me with Vanek being back in Minnesota, won't happen. Nathan Horton on the other hand may happen considering what their Owner has said and the fact that Nathan will want to be on a team that can have a chance to compete....Florida isn't going anywhere.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:32 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
No so. At all.

Huet's contract is for 2 more years. If he didn't work out next season, you bury him in the minors. There won't be a stigma, because we didn't sign him to that contract.

Briere's cap hit is terrible, but with Bouchard off the books, it would only add a 2.5m cap hit for a more productive player. Not a bad trade off. Plus, in a few seasons, Briere could be easily traded to a team with an internal budget who is well below the cap. He'll only be paid 2m. When you are a team 14 milion under the cap because of your own budget, who cares whether you are 14 million or 10 million under the cap with "fake dollars", because the real dollar amount is low.
Huet is on a 1-way contract. Regardless he gets paid and we take a caphit. Remember what happened with Mark Parrish when they waived him? We lose $1M off the cap next year just to pay a player that is no longer on the team because of it. The same thing will happen with Huet and it will be a hell of a lot more, like around the $3M mark. So we lose out on basically Zidlicky's contract of $4M the following year. How is that not crippling us?

And Bouchard already is off the books regardless. LTIR's do not count against your cap hit. And no team is taking on Briere's contract. Why do you want to replace an undersized player with another one?

Old
04-05-2010, 12:38 PM
mnwildgophers

Maybe we can swing a deal with Florida, but I don't think that will happen either. Florida looks like they will be trying to trade Vokoun, and I think that they will try to move him for a quality forward.

On the other hand, we just don't have a lot that we can offer for a winger or center. I think the best course of action is to just draft well at the draft, and make a few decent FA signings.

Fletch did a good job last year with Zanon and Havlat. Havlat has majorly underachieved this year, but if he continues that chemistry with Latendresse, hopefully we can see him score at a PPG pace, and this is certainly possible given his skills.

I want to see us target a #2 center via free agency, but the majority of this depends on whether Bouchard comes back next year, it's really too bad that he has such a high cap hit, and no one will touch that via trade with a 10 foot pole given all the head issues.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:40 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Huet is on a 1-way contract. Regardless he gets paid and we take a caphit. Remember what happened with Mark Parrish when they waived him? We lose $1M off the cap next year just to pay a player that is no longer on the team because of it. The same thing will happen with Huet and it will be a hell of a lot more, like around the $3M mark. So we lose out on basically Zidlicky's contract of $4M the following year. How is that not crippling us?

And Bouchard already is off the books regardless. LTIR's do not count against your cap hit. And no team is taking on Briere's contract. Why do you want to replace an undersized player with another one?
Your understanding of one-way contracts are cap-hits is incorrect.

One-way vs. two-way contracts refers to the actual real dollars a player gets. Two-way means he gets paided two different salaries, depending on which league he is in. One-way means he gets paided a single salary, regardless of the league.

A one-way contract has zero effect on cap hit.

A player with a one-way contract can still be sent to the AHL, and that cap hit would then be removed from the NHL team's salary, even though the owner still is paying the full salary to the player.

The Parrish contract was bought out because DR was trying to show respect to Parrish, allowing him to sign with another team. What DR should have done is just put Parrish in Houston for 3 years, as Parrish can't make it in the new NHL.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:48 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Maybe we can swing a deal with Florida, but I don't think that will happen either. Florida looks like they will be trying to trade Vokoun, and I think that they will try to move him for a quality forward.

On the other hand, we just don't have a lot that we can offer for a winger or center. I think the best course of action is to just draft well at the draft, and make a few decent FA signings.

Fletch did a good job last year with Zanon and Havlat. Havlat has majorly underachieved this year, but if he continues that chemistry with Latendresse, hopefully we can see him score at a PPG pace, and this is certainly possible given his skills.

I want to see us target a #2 center via free agency, but the majority of this depends on whether Bouchard comes back next year, it's really too bad that he has such a high cap hit, and no one will touch that via trade with a 10 foot pole given all the head issues.
Havlat sucked because he wasn't used to this type of system, along with not having the type of forwards that he was playing with in Chicago. He does need to shoot more. We will see what he does in the offseason, its not that deep for forwards.

Quote:
Your understanding of one-way contracts are cap-hits is incorrect.

One-way vs. two-way contracts refers to the actual real dollars a player gets. Two-way means he gets paided two different salaries, depending on which league he is in. One-way means he gets paided a single salary, regardless of the league.

A one-way contract has zero effect on cap hit.

A player with a one-way contract can still be sent to the AHL, and that cap hit would then be removed from the NHL team's salary, even though the owner still is paying the full salary to the player.

The Parrish contract was bought out because DR was trying to show respect to Parrish, allowing him to sign with another team. What DR should have done is just put Parrish in Houston for 3 years, as Parrish can't make it in the new NHL.
You are correct, sir.

And Parrish obviously can make it in the NHL considering he is playing for Tampa and also is a previous Olympian. Lemaire screwed him over by putting him in the doghouse and off the top lines which he was so used to playing on and was producing the most, to include getting the "C" on 3 occasions under JL before he went into that doghouse.

So are you proposing we take on Huet and buy him out? Also, do you think Harding is going to want to play ahead of someone who is making 2x's more than he would probably be making? The goalie situation doesn't work at all in my eyes. At least Backstrom can be relied on when we are struggling on offense for the most part. Harding and Huet have both shown their own signs they can't handle that.

Old
04-05-2010, 01:12 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Havlat sucked because he wasn't used to this type of system, along with not having the type of forwards that he was playing with in Chicago. He does need to shoot more. We will see what he does in the offseason, its not that deep for forwards.

You are correct, sir.

And Parrish obviously can make it in the NHL considering he is playing for Tampa and also is a previous Olympian. Lemaire screwed him over by putting him in the doghouse and off the top lines which he was so used to playing on and was producing the most, to include getting the "C" on 3 occasions under JL before he went into that doghouse.

So are you proposing we take on Huet and buy him out? Also, do you think Harding is going to want to play ahead of someone who is making 2x's more than he would probably be making? The goalie situation doesn't work at all in my eyes. At least Backstrom can be relied on when we are struggling on offense for the most part. Harding and Huet have both shown their own signs they can't handle that.
I actually really liked Parrish. He had some great hands. But, when you are small, slow, and weak on the puck, you aren't going to make it in the current NHL.

I wasn't suggesting we buy out Huet. I was suggesting that Harding is a good goalie, but his value is at an all time low. It's not worth it to trade him. But it is worth it to trade Backstrom. I don't think there is much a gap between Backstrom and Harding. Shooters have figured out that if you go high on Backstrom, you can score. Harding, once he gets a few games under his belt, looks great, even when playing with a major injury.

We take on Huet's contract, and let Huet challenge Harding for the #1 role. If Harding wins, we send Huet to the AHL for 1 year, his last contract year. No cap hit, and Leopold just rights the 6m check and closes his eyes. If Harding is a bust, we are a bit screwed, but then you just keep Huet for a season.

This deal would give us Sharp, a legit shooter for Koivu - a guy who has put up 70 points setting-up a 3rd liner. Adding Sharp would give Koivu another 10 points, not to mention the huge improvement of Sharp over Miettinen. Sharp would fill a huge, huge need for this team.

Last edited by nickschultzfan: 04-05-2010 at 01:18 PM.
Old
04-05-2010, 01:24 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I actually really liked Parrish. He had some great hands. But, when you are small, slow, and weak on the puck, you aren't going to make it in the current NHL.

I wasn't suggesting we buy out Huet. I was suggesting that Harding is a good goalie, but his value is at an all time low. It's not worth it to trade him. But it is worth it to trade Backstrom. I don't think there is much a gap between Backstrom and Harding. Shooters have figured out that if you go high on Backstrom, you can score. Harding, once he gets a few games under his belt, looks great, even when playing with a major injury.

We take on Huet's contract, and let Huet challenge Harding for the #1 role. If Harding wins, we send Huet to the AHL for 1 year, his last contract year. No cap hit, and Leopold just rights the 6m check and closes his eyes. If Harding is a bust, we are a bit screwed, but then you just keep Huet for a season.

This deal would give us Sharp, a legit shooter for Koivu - a guy who has put up 70 points setting-up a 3rd liner. Adding Sharp would give Koivu another 10 points, not to mention the huge improvement of Sharp over Miettinen. Sharp would fill a huge, huge need for this team.
It's just hard to justify taking on Huet's contract. For his play, I don't see him being able to help us out like we need a goalie to, and how are we supposed to move Backstrom? He can veto any trade that we make. I say we keep him because I think he'll have a bounce-back season.

Sharp would be a huge upgrade over Miettinen, but I really would hate to take on that huge of a contract, and I think that that trade ends up making us worse off.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:14 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
1. Think that they can get TWO better goalie prospects in this draft with their 2nd and 6th round picks

2. Would rather sign a college FA then trade a 2nd & 6th rounder for a 25 year old with NHL experience

3. Have A LOT of faith (maybe some of it blind) in their GM
That sounds about right given this is Hockey's Future after all. But in fairness to the Devils' fanbase, Brodeur is still doing well and they aren't at a point where the future goalie will be necessary right now. So having an unproven 28 year-old goalie (just throwing out a number when Harding would hypothetically take over) doesn't sound like the greatest idea in the world.

Quote:

Deal #1

Deal #2

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Clutter-Brodz-Kobasew

Burns-Barker
Zannon-Zidlicky
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau

Harding
Huet

Where to begin...

1. I'm not saying that this should be a youth project because frankly there's not enough quality youth to make it anything other than a four-five year ordeal, but the same holds true with having solely veterans. If you have one of Wellman or Almond up on the big club it isn't hurting the team or their development (you have to remember that Wellman is older than Sheppard and this isn't exactly throwing a baby in to the fire like keeping Gillies or Shep up to learn and not play) and saves the team precious cap dollars. These are two different situations and if it ends up where Wellman or Almond would be better suited off getting playing time in Houston, then so be it.

2. Besides Backstrom's NTC, why would the Blackhawks do the first deal, especially if they confidence in Niemi? It's essentially a lateral deal where they throw in a top-six winger. Plus it doesn't really save them money in the long-term unless the cap goes up greatly over the next three years.

3. Putting Huet in the minors. I know this is from another post, but it is related. Besides the fact that I'm sure Leipold would happy to spend $5.625 million on a player sitting in Houston (because all billionaire owners love to toss money around), it would essentially be the end of Huet as a Wild player. One, Minnesota would have to bring Huet back up and use re-entry waivers; odds are some team would take a stab at him for half the contract (with the Wild paying the other half). Two, there would be no way to trade him given teams would have to bring him up through re-entry waivers and could have him for that anyways. Three, why would trade for a player with the knowledge that it is highly possible his deal is toxic enough where putting him in the minors to eat out the contract would be the best option?

4. I'd rather take a stab at Plekanec or Jokinen in free agency than have Briere. Yes, you can trade Briere down the line for a team which needs salary cap space but there's no way you will get the same asset management out of Briere than saying no to the deal (which is the problem Philly fans have with Briere - he should be a top-five player with that contract and is barely one on his team). Miettenen's $2.5 million comes off the books next season anyways and can be used as part of something else much more than Briere being alongside Marty Havlat as the top two wingers for the next five years. Both Plekanec and Jokinen sound like better options and would be cheaper even with the free agency surcharge.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
mnwildgophers

I think it will be tough to get Plekanec, I think he wants to stay in Montreal. Jokinen could happen though. That would be a significant improvement, we all know that Ebbett is expendable, but if we were able to sign someone like him or Plekanec, then our 2nd line would be great.

I think that if Teemu retires after this year, Saku will want to come here or retire. If that's true, would we want him? I think he would be a decent player between Havlat and Latendresse because of Mikko's chemistry with Bruno.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:24 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I think it will be tough to get Plekanec, I think he wants to stay in Montreal. Jokinen could happen though. That would be a significant improvement, we all know that Ebbett is expendable, but if we were able to sign someone like him or Plekanec, then our 2nd line would be great.

I think that if Teemu retires after this year, Saku will want to come here or retire. If that's true, would we want him? I think he would be a decent player between Havlat and Latendresse because of Mikko's chemistry with Bruno.
Saku has already said that he won't come here because of baby brother. He doesn't want to steal his thunder at all. Whether or not that mentality would change, would remain to be decided. However, I would put my money to the old Finnish guys would retire together and spend the rest of their days back home.

Lets just go for Pavelski while we're at though guys