HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign SEL free agent goalie Eddie Läck

Old
04-05-2010, 10:02 AM
Systemfel
Global Moderator
Hockey Talk by Country

vCash: 50
Canucks sign SEL free agent goalie Eddie Läck

Looks like the Canucks have signed SEL goalie Eddie Läck.

http://hockey.expressen.se/elitserie...-for-vancouver

Läck means leak btw. Not the best name for a goalie.

Lack isn't very good either.

Systemfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Just A Bit Outside
Playoffs??!

vCash: 50
22, 6'4 and free? Sounds good to me. Just keep bolstering the prospect pool.

Has anyone actually seen him? What does he do well and what does he........lack?

Just A Bit Outside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:12 AM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
I haven't seen him, but looking at his stats and the progression, he could turn out to be good. http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=4347

I'm guessing this is a Moose signing for now, given that Schneider is supposed to be the backup next year — at least according to everything we've been told so far.

Tiranis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 AM
LeftCoast

Hockey hair is always a good sign.

Code:
Year       Team            League        Games  GAA    SV%
2006-07 Leksand J20	  SuperElit	         30     2.86    .919  	
2007-08 Leksands       Allsvenskan      24    1.87    .923 
2008-09 Leksands       Allsvenskan      32    2.02    .930
2009-10 Brynäs	          Elitserien	 (SEL) 14    2.67    .911
Those are fairly respectable numbers for a 22 year old goalie. He's got good size and at least looks like a prospect (more than can be said for Morgan Clark).

Compare to "The Monster" Jonas Gustafson (now 25 yrs):

Code:
Year       Team            League        Games  GAA    SV%
2006-07  AIK              Allsvenskan   23       2.79    .908
2007-08  Färjestad     Elitserien       20       2.40     .919 
2008-09  Färjestad     Elitserien       42       1.96     .932
Anyone think that maybe Gillis is adding a goalie prospect in anticipation of moving Schneider? We really have no one of note behind Schneider and Raycroft is an elite backup.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:51 AM
Solidius

Yeah, I was thinking that GMMG signed Lack in anticipation of moving Schneider in the off-season. Schneider would be an expensive back-up to Luongo when Raycroft would suffice.

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:52 AM
joe89

He's been Markström's backup, been pretty solid the past two years first in tier2 and now SEL.

Btw Lack as you will call him, means other than the English word lack, pissed in Swedish Eddie Pissed!

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Scouter

vCash: 141
I would much rather see them try and get Bobrovsky, but if this guy is at least as good as him, then it will be a good signing.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
I would much rather see them try and get Bobrovsky, but if this guy is at least as good as him, then it will be a good signing.
Do you honestly think that Bobrovsky will want to sign with a team that has Luongo locked up for the next 12 years? Why would he do that? Does he not want a successful career?

Contending teams with good depth — like the Canucks — have limited options when it comes to signing prospects: a) you draft and sign your own prospects, these guys have basically no choice; or b) you have a tremendous scout that discovers prospects that other teams aren't necessarily looking at. It's very unlikely that a top forward or goalie prospect will sign with the Canucks in the next few years when they can pick Toronto, Philly, Dallas, etc.

Our weakness is defense and every team wants to get stronger there, so again we're competing with pretty much the whole NHL.

Last edited by Tiranis: 04-05-2010 at 11:05 AM.
Old
04-05-2010, 10:58 AM
jabberhockey

Lack seems like a decent signing. He has a good shot at being the starting goaltender for the Moose next year.

jabberhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Autopilot

Seems good to me!

Last edited by Autopilot: 04-05-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Autopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:11 AM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidius View Post
Yeah, I was thinking that GMMG signed Lack in anticipation of moving Schneider in the off-season. Schneider would be an expensive back-up to Luongo when Raycroft would suffice.
Raycroft probably wont be back next year, he has played well enough to find himself a job somewhere he will split starts with another starter.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Solidius

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
Raycroft probably wont be back next year, he has played well enough to find himself a job somewhere he will split starts with another starter.
Whether or not Raycroft stays, I think Gillis could pick up a back-up cheaper than Schneider's cap hit. If Schneider is Luongo's back-up in 10-11, I'll be surprised. All guesses, of course.

Solidius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:14 AM
Autopilot

Quote:
I don't see this happening unless MG can get sufficient return on him, but I do not think that will happen until he gets more NHL playing time. Thus, I think Schneider is slated to play backup next year to enhance his value. This signing is merely to replace Schneider on the Moose because we have no one else that can step in behind him.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Autopilot

Quote:
Whether or not Raycroft stays, I think Gillis could pick up a back-up cheaper than Schneider's cap hit. If Schneider is Luongo's back-up in 10-11, I'll be surprised. All guesses, of course.
We have yet to sign Schneider, so we will have to see how expensive he will actually be. His cap hit this year would of been 1.084 and I do not see him being signed for too much more. Probably another 1 mil, 1 way contract.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:21 AM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
I would suspect that Raycroft and Schneider would be fairly close in terms of contracts next year - somewhere in the range of $1.2 - 1.5 million.

Because of the Leafs' buy-out of his earlier contract Raycroft was earning a little over $1.2 million this season and as a pending UFA with the numbers he has managed this season, he could see a substantial offer from another team.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:30 AM
Scouter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Do you honestly think that Bobrovsky will want to sign with a team that has Luongo locked up for the next 12 years? Why would he do that? Does he not want a successful career?

Contending teams with good depth — like the Canucks — have limited options when it comes to signing prospects: a) you draft and sign your own prospects, these guys have basically no choice; or b) you have a tremendous scout that discovers prospects that other teams aren't necessarily looking at. It's very unlikely that a top forward or goalie prospect will sign with the Canucks in the next few years when they can pick Toronto, Philly, Dallas, etc.

Our weakness is defense and every team wants to get stronger there, so again we're competing with pretty much the whole NHL.
Philly is not a contending team, I think not.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Philly is not a contending team, I think not.
The point is: Philly has a weakness in net. Whether they're contending or not is irrelevant in this case. My point about contending teams it that they usually have at least 2 areas that they're solid in and as such prospects are unlikely to pick a contending team with a strength in their particular area. When a goalie can pick Philly or Vancouver, who do you think they will pick? When a potential Top 6 forward can pick Canucks or Toronto, who do you think they will pick?

Old
04-05-2010, 12:10 PM
Balls Mahoney
Fair and Balanced

Holy signing madness. I don't remember so many undrafted FA signings in any previous season before. Next year's Moose is going to be like a traveling circus of former Euro players.

Balls Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
pitseleh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
Holy signing madness. I don't remember so many undrafted FA signings in any previous season before. Next year's Moose is going to be like a traveling circus of former Euro players.
It's about time. There's no easier way to build up depth on the farm that doesn't need to clear waivers on the way back down.

As for the signing, it's an interesting one to say the least. Tough to get anything from his numbers due to the small sample size but he had the second best SV% amongst starters in the Allsvenskan the season prior finishing behind a player three years older. He also plays for Brynas so I'm guessing that Canucks scouts have seen him play a decent amount.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:16 PM
Scouter

Quote:
The point is: Philly has a weakness in net. Whether they're contending or not is irrelevant in this case. My point about contending teams it that they usually have at least 2 areas that they're solid in and as such prospects are unlikely to pick a contending team with a strength in their particular area. When a goalie can pick Philly or Vancouver, who do you think they will pick? When a potential Top 6 forward can pick Canucks or Toronto, who do you think they will pick?
Does Philly have a real weakness in net, Emery was a pretty goalie before he wen't downhill, Philly also believes that Backlund will be better than Gustavsson, or at least they did when they signed him.

I see your point, but don't players want to play for a good team rather than a bad one, or is it more about the ice time, and possibly money?

Old
04-05-2010, 12:29 PM
Whale

Team won't trade Schnieder untill they can get a return for him, he is a first round pic, so getting a first rounder for him is breaking even, do you think his value now is a first round pic or a roster player? I don't think so.

This signing is for the Moose, the team will probably pick up a veteran tweener to play with him in Manitoba, Schnieder will be showcased in the NHL as a backup. He will likely have to sign a minimum contract like other players who have proven diddly squat at the NHL level, but with a big bonus if Lou goes on LTIR and he plays over 20 games or something.

Trading assets like Schnieder when they have no proven value rarely gets a return, at best he is worth a third round pic right now.

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:33 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Does Philly have a real weakness in net, Emery was a pretty goalie before he wen't downhill, Philly also believes that Backlund will be better than Gustavsson, or at least they did when they signed him.

I see your point, but don't players want to play for a good team rather than a bad one, or is it more about the ice time, and possibly money?
It's definitely about ice-time first, especially for a position like goaltending where there's only 30 starters and 30 backups (obviously sometimes goalies split the starting duty).

As for Emery, nobody even knows if he'll play again or if he'll even be as good. Certainly less of a competition than Luongo.

Old
04-05-2010, 12:42 PM
Trends Analyst
Across the Universe

Quote:
I think Gillis is thinking that Schneider needs to play in the NHL next year to raise his value. If Gillis is gonna get a good return for him the league needs to know he can play at the NHL level, consistently.

Trends Analyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:50 PM
windflare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balls Mahoney View Post
How else did you think I built up my EHM 2007 Dynasty?

Sign massively underrated Euros for your AHL team, trade them when their value is at an all time high after tearing up in the Calder Cup playoffs, and keep signing new guys to refill the cupboard.

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 12:51 PM
Scouter

Quote:
It's definitely about ice-time first, especially for a position like goaltending where there's only 30 starters and 30 backups (obviously sometimes goalies split the starting duty).

As for Emery, nobody even knows if he'll play again or if he'll even be as good. Certainly less of a competition than Luongo.
In Bobrovsky's case though, he's probably going to play on the farm for awhile no matter who he signs with anyway.