HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Coed hockey fights and the human response

Old
04-05-2010, 02:02 PM
noobman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
I played in a coed league last year. For each game there would be three rooms. One room for the guys on one team, one room for the guys on the other team, and then a third room for the girls on both teams to share. Made great sense logistically, and obviously helps to avoid the male/female issue, but it didn't really lend itself to team bonding as you mentioned.
When I was playing as a kid, the girls would just come knock on the dressing room door when they were finished dressing and come sit with us, unless they wanted to talk amongst themselves. None of the guys seemed to mind.

There were, perhaps, some ulterior motives there given that we were all teenagers...

noobman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

I do scorekeeping for one of the local leagues here and one of the team has 2 female players in their early 20s. They both change in the same dressing room as their male teammates who range from ~20 to ~50. From what I can tell (since I have to be in there periodically to log the rosters), they simply wear a compression bra and shorts under their street clothes so there is no nudity involved. For about a minute at a time, it can be as racy as a trip to the local pool. In other words, not at all.

I'm sure our armed forces have to deal with these same issues from time to time. The standards of modesty have changed pretty quickly over the past few generations.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:21 PM
DevilsFan38

For my mens league I change in the same locker room as the guys. There's no separate womens locker room at that rink, and I'm the only girl on the team so it would get lonely pretty quickly changing by myself.

For open hockey and clinics I change in the womens locker room (different rink than my mens league), it's one thing to change with guys who you know and who expect it, but it's different to walk in on a locker room full of half naked guys when they aren't expecting it. At least, that's the way I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
Plus you cant have as much fun in the locker room if there's chicks around, how are you supposed to pound beer while you're dehydrated and then make mysoginist & vulgar locker room banter if there's women around?? That's one of the best parts of rec league hockey.
Somehow that's never stopped my mens league team, and I'll pound beer with them. I remember one particularly graphic conversation that started with discussing forechecking and the merits of soft dumps versus hard dumps that ended, well, someplace I can't talk about here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
I do scorekeeping for one of the local leagues here and one of the team has 2 female players in their early 20s. They both change in the same dressing room as their male teammates who range from ~20 to ~50. From what I can tell (since I have to be in there periodically to log the rosters), they simply wear a compression bra and shorts under their street clothes so there is no nudity involved. For about a minute at a time, it can be as racy as a trip to the local pool. In other words, not at all.

I'm sure our armed forces have to deal with these same issues from time to time. The standards of modesty have changed pretty quickly over the past few generations.
Sounds just like my league. I'll strip down as far as shorts and sports bra, and them as far as boxers, and on occasions where we need to change completely we duck into the bathroom for a second.

DevilsFan38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilsFan38 View Post
For my mens league I change in the same locker room as the guys. There's no separate womens locker room at that rink, and I'm the only girl on the team so it would get lonely pretty quickly changing by myself.

For open hockey and clinics I change in the womens locker room (different rink than my mens league), it's one thing to change with guys who you know and who expect it, but it's different to walk in on a locker room full of half naked guys when they aren't expecting it. At least, that's the way I see it.

Somehow that's never stopped my mens league team, and I'll pound beer with them. I remember one particularly graphic conversation that started with discussing forechecking and the merits of soft dumps versus hard dumps that ended, well, someplace I can't talk about here.

Sounds just like my league. I'll strip down as far as shorts and sports bra, and them as far as boxers, and on occasions where we need to change completely we duck into the bathroom for a second.
Well that is fine with me honestly if for a men's league which may require a name change to Adult League or something. I see more and more women playing, played with one today at pickup ... she was learning and not very good at all. Most of the women I play with are pretty good players, it is nice to see.

The 16 year old I posted about who changed in our lockeroom who almost walked in on about 4 or 5 of us with nothing on 5 minutes prior was a minor which seemed to make it the thing that made it uncomfortable for me.

I really honestly was looking at the equipment bag and my feet as to not feel like a sicko creep for checking out a 16 year girl who was honestly very pleasant to look at. Maybe if she were ugly as a shaved mule ass and built like a mack truck I would not have felt this?

It was awkward in any case and not a "just one of the guys" things or moments. I really do not wish to be a 42 year old man with a 24 daughter who felt uncomfortable around a 16 year old young lady and left me feeling like a pervert.

In that sense I did not ask to be exposed to something that would make me feel uncomfortable. I could just imagine what would happen if I went into an all girl pickup / shinny lockeroom and just started undressing.

I would be arrested in a double standard thing.

But anyway the next time i will be more prepared for it and not so shocked by it.

I mean I do not wear my compression short which are also padded Farrells under my pants to the rink. I am getting naked to put them on.

Now every time I hear a door hinge I will be diving for cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pog Form View Post
There was a pretty big debate on this subject a while back. The thread ended up getting locked, but here it is if you want to read through it: http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=150517
Well thanks, I am skimming through it. I hope I didn't start another one here by accident.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:40 PM
WDR357

Hockeyfan,

Don't feel like a perv brother. It's no different than being in an airport people watching and seeing some teen girl walk by with that certain look we all recognize!! But in this case it's in a locker room. Basic ettiquette whether it is a teen-ager, adult woman or man is that staring isn't acceptable. It is impossible not to notice however!

I'd agree that having the teen in there changing would make me a bit uncomfortable and if there was any conflict, an adult male isn't going to come out of it unscathed. With adult women, if they're going to use the unisex/male locker rooms they should expect to catch the fellas in various states of undress. We're all adults, it shouldn't be a big deal unless an adult is immature or doesn't adhere to that proper ettiquette.

Per Devilsfan's comments, if the guys are all keeping their boxers on, I'd guess it's only because they have a woman changing in the room. As hockeyfan said, I don't wear my underwear/boxers while playing and then wear them home. Talk about disgusting. I don't know how people do it.

WDR357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
AHF

Send a message via MSN to AHF
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turboflex View Post
I signed up for the wrong league one year in university and ended up on a co-ed team. It was so ****ing bad. Supposedly these girls were varsity too, they just SUCKED. I quit after 2 games. AVOID co-ed leagues at all costs, they are just bad hockey + awkward social moments (when you knock down or cross check some chick).
Dumbest post in this thread. Nice work.

There is nothing wrong with coed hockey. I don't think you had the right frame of mind; you can't expect it to be competitive/intense as mens league games.

Much like mixed slowpitch/softball, coed hockey is much more relaxed than mens league. People go out there to have a good time more than anything. Yeah, the talent is a little hit-and-miss...big deal.

I've made a habit of playing mens league in the winter, coed in the summer and I enjoy both. You have to adjust your mind frame for which one you play in. I'll be far more aggressive in mens league than coed.

Like I said, first and foremost, people are out there to have fun in a more lighthearted atmosphere. Take it for what it is. I really think you were expecting way too much from coed hockey.

AHF is online now   Reply With Quote