HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Canucks sign SEL free agent goalie Eddie Läck

Old
04-05-2010, 01:02 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

vCash: 500
One thing we can do with Schneider is offer him a one-way contract at slightly less than his qualifying offer. He might take the guaranteed money and not risk being stuck in Manitoba, and be a cap-friendlier backup next season.

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:05 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMosquito View Post
I think Gillis is thinking that Schneider needs to play in the NHL next year to raise his value. If Gillis is gonna get a good return for him the league needs to know he can play at the NHL level, consistently.
I'm skeptical about this line of thought. Are we going to have more cap relief than this year? Because that 500,000 some odd dollars in cap savings might be more valuable than you'd think....

I'm thinking Gillis signs another bargain basement back up for league minimum, and Schneider starts in Manitoba again.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:07 PM
Tiranis

The question is: why wouldn't Schneider sign for lower amount so he can be the guy in the NHL... ? He obviously wants to prove himself and if that means taking less money, I'm sure he'll do it — it's not like he's getting his NHL salary down in AHL anyway.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:13 PM
Whale

he will obviously sign for the minimum and be the backup, people on this board have way to high of an opinion of his value at present

Whale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:16 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Schneider stated in an interview recently he wants to be backing up Luongo and learning from him next year, as he feels he's done all he can at the AHL level. That to me says he's looking at being the backup in Vancouver. I could see the Canucks pulling a similar move to what they did with Raycroft this year, in signing a bargain backup and letting him and Schneider duke it out. It's a results based business, and Schneider needs to prove himself capable of the backup role. The question is, what cap hit will he command?

As for Lack, I like it. We're paper thin in goaltending prospects after Schneider(I believe Joe Cannata and Morgan Clark are our only guys?) and he had pretty decent numbers in a good league in the SEL.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Canucksrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
How else did you think I built up my EHM 2007 Dynasty?

Sign massively underrated Euros for your AHL team, trade them when their value is at an all time high after tearing up in the Calder Cup playoffs, and keep signing new guys to refill the cupboard.
I went heavy into Scouting signed the best I could and drafted amazing I once drafted a player in the 6th round that I traded to the Hurricanes for their 1,2,3 pick the next draft(2010), got the player back in a trade that involved salo then proceeded to trade him back to the canes for their 123 in the following years (2011) draft.

Canucksrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
Schneider stated in an interview recently he wants to be backing up Luongo and learning from him next year, as he feels he's done all he can at the AHL level. That to me says he's looking at being the backup in Vancouver. I could see the Canucks pulling a similar move to what they did with Raycroft this year, in signing a bargain backup and letting him and Schneider duke it out. It's a results based business, and Schneider needs to prove himself capable of the backup role. The question is, what cap hit will he command?
Schneider's QO will be $1 million - so that may well be a starting point for negotiations.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:28 PM
Proto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gman3 View Post
In Bobrovsky's case though, he's probably going to play on the farm for awhile no matter who he signs with anyway.
Then he'd fit right in with all of the AHL quality goaltending the Flyers play at the NHL level (this year and the preceding ten).

Proto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Blane Youngblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Schneider's QO will be $1 million - so that may well be a starting point for negotiations.
I think it's very likely the team offers him a one way at a lower price then his two way QO. We will needto be careful about offer sheets however they can be matched as two way deals.

Blane Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:42 PM
Peter Griffin

If the Canucks are smart they'll get Schneider signed to a two year contract. If Schneider doesn't appear in roughly 20 games with the Canucks by next summer he's eligible for UFA.

Peter Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:06 PM
Kickassguy

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autopilot View Post
Seems good to me!

Taking his cue from fellow countryman Tommy Salo.

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:11 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Griffin View Post
If the Canucks are smart they'll get Schneider signed to a two year contract. If Schneider doesn't appear in roughly 20 games with the Canucks by next summer he's eligible for UFA.
Unless the Canucks buck up significantly on a one-way, I do not see Schneider signing a 2 year deal.

As you note his Group 6 free agent status is a concern.

If Schneider does not play sufficient NHL games (28) by the time he is 25 (end of the 2010-11 season assuming he does not sign a contract extending beyond that season) then he will be a Group 6 free agent. He must actually play at least 30 minutes for a game to count for these purposes. Sitting on the bench as a back up does not count. To date he has played 10 games but only 7 of them will count as he played less than 30 minutes in 3 of his credited games. So he must play 21 NHL games next and he must be in those 21 games for 30 minutes or more.

Schneider was 21 years old when he signed his first SPC (dob 18 March 1986 and signed his first SPC on 03 July 2007) so under the CBA he is arbitration eligible at the end of this contract as he only needs three years of pro experience (i.e a season where he plays 10 or more games).

If Schneider does not elect salary arbitration (and that seems a likely scenario) then Gillis can do so and that prevents any team from tendering an RFA offer sheet to Schneider. In that case the Canucks elect arbitration in lieu of a QO.

Few cases actually make it to arbitration but it would preempt offer sheets and give the Canucks additional time to woork out a deal with Schneider.

Old
04-05-2010, 02:20 PM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Since when can you file for arbitration coming out of an entry-level contract?

Burke's Evil Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:25 PM
TacitEndorsement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale View Post
Team won't trade Schnieder untill they can get a return for him, he is a first round pic, so getting a first rounder for him is breaking even, do you think his value now is a first round pic or a roster player? I don't think so.

This signing is for the Moose, the team will probably pick up a veteran tweener to play with him in Manitoba, Schnieder will be showcased in the NHL as a backup. He will likely have to sign a minimum contract like other players who have proven diddly squat at the NHL level, but with a big bonus if Lou goes on LTIR and he plays over 20 games or something.

Trading assets like Schnieder when they have no proven value rarely gets a return, at best he is worth a third round pic right now.
This summary gave me a half chub, bang on. Would have been full chub had "pic" not appeared.

TacitEndorsement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:32 PM
crazyforhockey

We do have a lack of goalie depth right now.......

Schneider a couple of choices.....a)he gets traded for a value that MG is happy with.Will be intresting to see what happens at the draft with Cory
b)he plays backup to Luongo till he gains more value.

if a)I could see them make an effort to resign Raycroft again as backup

The one reason that Schneider would get more value(I do agree that unproven goalies do have a hard time getting value-except) now as a unproven is the lack of a true #1 goalie(young) to build a young team around,or a cap strapped team that needs a possible top notch goalie but can afford only a soso goalie.............

Keep in mind there are a few goalies avaliable but most are over 31 yrs old or over 35yrs old...Turco,Mason.......So we will see if someone gets antsy on getting a possible top goalie.

crazyforhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:41 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit View Post
Since when can you file for arbitration coming out of an entry-level contract?
It depends upon the age when you sign your first NHL deal.

If you are under 21 then you need 4 years to be arbitration eligible.

If you are 21 years (as with Schneider) then it is three years.

CBA Article 12
Quote:
12.1 Eligibility for Player or Club Election of Salary Arbitration.

(a) A Player is eligible for salary arbitration if the Player meets the qualifications set forth in the following chart and in Section 12.1(b) below:

First SPC Signing Age - Minimum Level of Professional Experience Required to be Eligible for Salary Arbitration
18-20.........................4 years professional experience
21.............................3 years professional experience
22-23........................2 years professional experience
24 and older...............1 year professional experience
For example RJ Umberger filed for arbitration at the end of his ELC.
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_460950.html

Old
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
steamtrain
shred photog

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
How else did you think I built up my EHM 2007 Dynasty?

Sign massively underrated Euros for your AHL team, trade them when their value is at an all time high after tearing up in the Calder Cup playoffs, and keep signing new guys to refill the cupboard.
-Sign free agents that get left til mid season on multi year deals on the cheap
-Trade away all pending UFAs for picks / prospects / young talent at the deadline (replaced by 2m/year superstars)
-Scout like mad and draft like a pimp - and usually have 20 picks per draft
-keep an eye on strange fluctuations in player value during the season... and trade overvalued plugs for them
-Offer sheets. Oh I love me my offer sheets...

I deleted EHM last year cause it was having a negative impact on my quality of life. Sometimes, I really, really miss it.

steamtrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickassguy View Post
Taking his cue from fellow countryman Tommy Salo.
Uh oh, looks like the nucks goalie curse is starting to come back, or maybe it never left and we were just under the illusion that Lu would be our guy finally.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:39 PM
droller*

Stop getting your hopes up people. We won't get anything more than a 2nd rounder for Cory Schneider. "Showcasing" him in the NHL will do very little, and probably not worth the cap hit he would bring.

Elite backup goalies get no more than a 2nd rounder in return (Kipper). One of the best goalies in the world was picked up on waivers (Bryzgalov). The only team dumb enough to offer more than that is the lovely Toronto Maple Leafs.

I'm really hoping we can get a young D that's on the fringe of moving up into the NHL. Even that seems like hopeful thinking IMO.

droller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:45 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Raycroft probably wont be back next year, he has played well enough to find himself a job somewhere he will split starts with another starter.
I'd be surprised if he didn't go to one of Detroit, Chicago, Philly or Washington next season.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Raycroft probably wont be back next year, he has played well enough to find himself a job somewhere he will split starts with another starter.
Maybe if he leaves he will start playing crappy again.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Ched Brosky

http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=316776

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:22 PM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverback91 View Post
I'd completely forgotten about Lukas Mensator. We don't still own his rights, do we?

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:33 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post
I'd completely forgotten about Lukas Mensator. We don't still own his rights, do we?
We do under the obscure defected player rule under the old CBA, so we have his rights until he turns 27.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
Zorbane

Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
We do under the obscure defected player rule under the old CBA, so we have his rights until he turns 27.
The Canucks have the rights of a bunch of random players still.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Sergei Topol?
Ilya Krikunov?
Colby Genoway??

Zorbane is offline   Reply With Quote