HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal has figured out what Torts wants

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-05-2010, 04:35 PM
  #51
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I give him credit for finally adapting, but I still question why he thought he was going to magically turn a bunch of scrubs into a team capable of playing run-and-gun hockey.

He's righted a wrong. But the wrong was unnecessary to begin with.
Hindsight is 20/20. It wasn't unreasonable to think that Higgins, Lisin, and Gilroy could be major components of a run-and-gun system in the beginning of the year. Of course, now we know otherwise.

It's silly to criticize him for not getting it right from the very beginning. Not many people do, in any profession. It's about adapting and learning. Did Tortorella take a bit too long to adapt? Perhaps, but nobody has suffered significantly from it. It took Tom Coughlin 3 seasons and almost being fired for him to get his **** together. Now all he'll be remembered for is his Super Bowl win. I'm not saying Tortorella will win a Stanley Cup or even come anywhere near it, but here's the point: If in September I told you that come April Marc Staal would be top 6 in even strength goals for defenseman without undermining his defensive play you would have been euphoric. It doesn't matter if it took him a month or two longer than you would have liked to get there. The end result is what matters. Two or so rocky months out of Staal's career are insignificant. What matters is that he got to where we want him.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:49 PM
  #52
BobSantos
 
BobSantos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 538
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I give him credit for finally adapting, but I still question why he thought he was going to magically turn a bunch of scrubs into a team capable of playing run-and-gun hockey.

He's righted a wrong. But the wrong was unnecessary to begin with.
I'd bet the "wrong" you're talking about came from on high. The team was asphyxiated by Renney last season and I'm not certain, but I can be pretty sure based on knowing people and guessing, that Sather wanted to unleash his boys and thought that, maybe, Tortorella had a magic formula for doing so based on his prior successes.

Of course Torts wants them to score as well. It's well known that he prefers an uptempo game. So he got to know the squad and gave the GM what he wanted - until the league caught on, the defense was exposed and the Rags' legs got rubbery.

I would say that from November onward, it has been a process of both coach and GM realizing that the team just doesn't have what it takes to play the game they demanded of them. The changes have begun.

So far I like what I've seen.

BobSantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:52 PM
  #53
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 24,635
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Hindsight is 20/20. It wasn't unreasonable to think that Higgins, Lisin, and Gilroy could be major components of a run-and-gun system in the beginning of the year. Of course, now we know otherwise.

It's silly to criticize him for not getting it right from the very beginning. Not many people do, in any profession. It's about adapting and learning. Did Tortorella take a bit too long to adapt? Perhaps, but nobody has suffered significantly from it. It took Tom Coughlin 3 seasons and almost being fired for him to get his **** together. Now all he'll be remembered for is his Super Bowl win. I'm not saying Tortorella will win a Stanley Cup or even come anywhere near it, but here's the point: If in September I told you that come April Marc Staal would be top 6 in even strength goals for defenseman without undermining his defensive play you would have been euphoric. It doesn't matter if it took him a month or two longer than you would have liked to get there. The end result is what matters. Two or so rocky months out of Staal's career are insignificant. What matters is that he got to where we want him.
But for a lot of us, it's not hindsight. The offensive struggles we've been having this season were foreseen by a lot of us this offseason.

__________________

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:00 PM
  #54
hlundqvist30*
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 7,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
But for a lot of us, it's not hindsight. The offensive struggles we've been having this season were foreseen by a lot of us this offseason.
Okay, but Tortorella isn't trying to win for one year. I'd argue that it was still relatively successful. For instance, while the team as a whole wasn't perfect under that system, we now know who can and can not excel under Tortorella. We know that Lisin, Higgins, and Kotalik were miserable fits, and that Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Staal are great fits. That's why I think Tortorella deserves another season before we fully evaluate him. Give him the chance to make the adjustments necessary during the offseason and add the right players. It's unbelievable how impatient people are.

hlundqvist30* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:10 PM
  #55
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 16,720
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hlundqvist30 View Post
Okay, but Tortorella isn't trying to win for one year. I'd argue that it was still relatively successful. For instance, while the team as a whole wasn't perfect under that system, we now know who can and can not excel under Tortorella. We know that Lisin, Higgins, and Kotalik were miserable fits, and that Gaborik, Callahan, Dubinsky, and Staal are great fits. That's why I think Tortorella deserves another season before we fully evaluate him. Give him the chance to make the adjustments necessary during the offseason and add the right players. It's unbelievable how impatient people are.
I would be completely shocked if Torts isn't given another season, even if we don't make the playoffs.

You cant just ****can coaches left and right and expect to finally hit the lottery on someone and win the cup.

Torts for all the bad, has done a lot of good. I believe all our young players have put up better numbers then their previous seasons and our rookies MDZ and Anisimov have both had pretty good rookie seasons, which is always a good sign.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:29 PM
  #56
Inferno
HFB Partner
 
Inferno's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Atlanta, GA
Country: United States
Posts: 20,976
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I would be completely shocked if Torts isn't given another season, even if we don't make the playoffs.

You cant just ****can coaches left and right and expect to finally hit the lottery on someone and win the cup.

Torts for all the bad, has done a lot of good. I believe all our young players have put up better numbers then their previous seasons and our rookies MDZ and Anisimov have both had pretty good rookie seasons, which is always a good sign.
yep, and the major flaws with this team, namely Redden and Drury, are what are holding us back. changing a coach will not magically get Drury and Redden to stop sucking.

That is on the GM.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:30 AM
  #57
mullichicken25
Registered User
 
mullichicken25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 2,596
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumbo View Post
I would be completely shocked if Torts isn't given another season, even if we don't make the playoffs.

You cant just ****can coaches left and right and expect to finally hit the lottery on someone and win the cup.

Torts for all the bad, has done a lot of good. I believe all our young players have put up better numbers then their previous seasons and our rookies MDZ and Anisimov have both had pretty good rookie seasons, which is always a good sign.
comepletely agree

you can't give a coach one year with a weak roster and fire him for narrowlly missing the playoffs

but im very curious to see how they handle this offseason though, if they decide to blow the team up again then they should consider changing coaches and build a team around a philosophy. However, against everything history has shown us, I think Sather will keep Torts and continue to build the team in the same direction he started last offseason

one offseason with a small number of calculated additions and subtractions will go a LONG way for this team....lets see what happens

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:10 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.