Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kari Lehtonen traded to Dallas for Vishnevskiy/4thR

Old
03-04-2010, 03:51 PM
Dave Karp

vCash: 940
Pretty unreal mask.

I'm partial to Andy Moog's mask with the Stars, but he's my favourite goalie of all time.

Dave Karp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 03:56 PM
Up7Yours

vCash: 50
Really nice mask. Thanks for the links.

Up7Yours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Wow. Nice. Thanks for the links!

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:11 PM
Chad_

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
New nickname idea: Dirty Kari
Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Wait. That only works if we 'Texan' up his first name. I'm all for it, at least until he gets a new design.

ADDED: Well, it works better if we 'Texan' up his first name.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 04:39 PM
vofty

helped ya out

vofty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 05:45 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
That is by far the best mask I have ever seen. Ever. It's just... perfect.

Rock on Dirty Kari, rock on.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:06 PM
Ashe

You guys will love his masks, He has some of the best ones in the league

Ashe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 06:07 PM
Modo
Global Moderator
Mo'Benn

Dirty Kari.

That mask looks amazing, really hoping Kari thrives in Big D!

03-04-2010, 06:16 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Wow, he certainly didn't disappoint in the mask department. Best mask in Stars history? It's up there with Eddie's, which didn't really have much to do with the team. The bullet holes are a nice touch.

New nickname idea: Dirty Kari
Love the mask, love the name, good work piqued

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:20 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
Andrews has Razor's spot on the musers from this morning up and Razor also makes mention of no one trusting the young Russians not to bolt to Russia and that the Stars may end up having picked up a potential franchise goalie for a 4th round draft pick. Solidifies in my mind what some of us have speculated but someone on the trade board said they talked with IV that he was gone after this year if he had stayed with Dallas. Who knows if he will given his new spot in Atlanta, but it is still a real risk I think.
Who was this person who supposedly talked to IV?

I don't read too much into Razor's comments. He's towing the company line right now. Both he and Ralph mentioned the Ott extension and how it was good for the Stars. Meh, if the organization had refused to pay Ott what they did and then decided to trade him R & R would have found a way to swing that in the Stars' favor as well. Whatever move is made is the "right move".

IV came to NA to play junior hockey. He obviously wanted to make a go of things in the NHL or he would have just stayed in Russia from the get-go. I do believe there is some merit to the thought that if he wasn't being given his shot this year that he may have left to go back to Russia in the summer, but that doesn't really say anything about his lack of loyalty or anything in my mind. If I was him and watched the D-corps that the Stars trot out there I would probably start to wonder exactly what I've got to do to get my shot as well. I have a hard time seeing IV as being worse defensively than Niskanen, and defense was always the knock on him. Throw in the fact that the Stars are lacking production-wise from the back end and there should be questions about the organization's loyalty to IV.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 07:50 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Who was this person who supposedly talked to IV?

I don't read too much into Razor's comments. He's towing the company line right now. Both he and Ralph mentioned the Ott extension and how it was good for the Stars. Meh, if the organization had refused to pay Ott what they did and then decided to trade him R & R would have found a way to swing that in the Stars' favor as well. Whatever move is made is the "right move".

IV came to NA to play junior hockey. He obviously wanted to make a go of things in the NHL or he would have just stayed in Russia from the get-go. I do believe there is some merit to the thought that if he wasn't being given his shot this year that he may have left to go back to Russia in the summer, but that doesn't really say anything about his lack of loyalty or anything in my mind. If I was him and watched the D-corps that the Stars trot out there I would probably start to wonder exactly what I've got to do to get my shot as well. I have a hard time seeing IV as being worse defensively than Niskanen, and defense was always the knock on him. Throw in the fact that the Stars are lacking production-wise from the back end and there should be questions about the organization's loyalty to IV.
It was in this thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...russia&page=18 posts #432 and 436. Not an official reporter or anything but says he talked with him briefly, and like I said switching teams may change his mind so there may never be any real way to tell if there was anything to it. There was a report a few weeks before the trade I think, speculating that Vish might bolt for Russia. I remember thinking at the time WTF? I googled for the report and I couldn't find it, oh well.

Old
03-04-2010, 08:10 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoesURchickenFLY View Post
It was in this thread http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t...russia&page=18 posts #432 and 436. Not an official reporter or anything but says he talked with him briefly, and like I said switching teams may change his mind so there may never be any real way to tell if there was anything to it. There was a report a few weeks before the trade I think, speculating that Vish might bolt for Russia. I remember thinking at the time WTF? I googled for the report and I couldn't find it, oh well.
Thanks for the link. Still don't know how much value I put into the poster's comments or those of IV to said poster for that matter. I remember seeing the report you're talking about if it was the DMN. It was less a report than it was Heika suggesting it as a possibility. He wasn't saying it with any conviction or first-hand conversations with the kid or the organization.

I'm not saying it isn't a definite possibility, just that it's a bit premature to be calling this a Lehtonen for 4th round pick trade just yet.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
Ogi1Kenobi

That mask is super special awesome.
Dirty Kari

Ogi1Kenobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:30 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashe View Post
You guys will love his masks, He has some of the best ones in the league
Kari's new mask is awesome, but good lord, those masks he had in ATL are ugly

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 08:54 PM
TrueGrit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Kari's new mask is awesome, but good lord, those masks he had in ATL are ugly
Yeah I agree, kinda stupid designs, but in his defense I wouldn't really know what to put on a "Thrasher" helmet either lol

TrueGrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:42 PM
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starnsy View Post
Yeah I agree, kinda stupid designs, but in his defense I wouldn't really know what to put on a "Thrasher" helmet either lol
It's the state bird of Georgia, i'm sure you could do something to make a bird look badass

DrFeelgood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 09:49 PM
Rhodes 81
grit those teeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winning Aces View Post
Dirty Kari
i think i'm gonna stick with karppa...

Rhodes 81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2010, 11:30 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
I think we should just call him the Hamburglar.

Dominic Roussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 07:45 PM
DoomMF

Stars are really going with the baptism by fire for Kari.

Two starts: San Jose and Pittsburgh

You'd think they would want to get him an easy game or two to start him off - It's not like Turco needs the confidence, Kari may.

Strange.

DoomMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2010, 09:12 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoomMF View Post
Stars are really going with the baptism by fire for Kari.

Two starts: San Jose and Pittsburgh

You'd think they would want to get him an easy game or two to start him off - It's not like Turco needs the confidence, Kari may.

Strange.
Well, Kari's first start was delayed because of the ceremony for Turco's 500th game (why a game afterwards, I don't know why) and statistically Kari has/had Pittsburgh's number. Now that the playoffs have almost flickered out, it will probably be a lot of Kari.

Also, thanks piqued again for the awesome new avatar

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 09:14 AM
saskatoon84

So how has Kari been playing lately? His stats don't look that good, but I've heard that Dallas def isn't that impressive either.
He's probably the most talented finnish goaltender ever and I really hope he would finally fulfill the expectations after all those injuries.

saskatoon84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-23-2010, 12:11 PM
ZDH

He's in tonight vs Nashville...the Predators have been playing real well lately, mostly thanks to Rinne...

kari's best effort so far was vs SJ

ZDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:58 PM
vofty

Quote:
Originally Posted by glovesave_35 View Post
Thanks for the link. Still don't know how much value I put into the poster's comments or those of IV to said poster for that matter. I remember seeing the report you're talking about if it was the DMN. It was less a report than it was Heika suggesting it as a possibility. He wasn't saying it with any conviction or first-hand conversations with the kid or the organization.

I'm not saying it isn't a definite possibility, just that it's a bit premature to be calling this a Lehtonen for 4th round pick trade just yet.
came across this in Razor's latest blog which evaluates Joe compared to some of the previous GM's and again he references the IV thing. Of course things may have changed with IV changing teams, but with this issue consistently popping up from multiple places I can't help but put some credence to it. Really don't mean to keep dragging this up but I thought it and how it plays out in time are both interesting, and didn't really know where else to put this info.
Quote:
Joe Nieuwendyk
(February 9th, 2010) Acquired Kari Lehtonen for Ivan Vishnevskiy
• Joe was looking for a young netminder to take the baton from aging, soon to be free agent Marty Turco. It’s risky considering Lehtonen’s health history but so was Ivan’s game and his commitment to North America.

Old
02-12-2013, 08:16 PM
Satan
why did she go

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoMcBride View Post
NOOOOOO!

Time to start a fire Nieuwy thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by starsfan24 View Post
It may be Ivan. Oh dear god.
Quote:
Originally Posted by None More Negative* View Post
Wow, Joe is a lot dumber than I thought. Not that I mind getting Lehtonen, but should he really have cost IV?

Hindsight is always 20/20 I guess.

There were some pretty insightful posts from posters where they liked the deal. I read through the main boards and it really seemed like Vish was quite the prospect at the time.

Interesting to go through past trade threads and see what the overall consensus was. Mainly why I don't go crazy over every single decision made by this organization, you win some and you lose some.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-12-2013, 08:22 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
3 year anniversary. Praise Kari.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote