HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bernier Injured - Back to Vancouver

Old
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to Biggest Canuck Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Tripper View Post
these are all easy things to say before the playoffs begin

it will be nice revisiting thoughts like these when the physicality of the playoffs step up and the small canuck forwards get knocked around a bit
I think you have Bernier ready to go, and as you said if the Canucks forwards get knocked around. Mind you if we play LA or Det Hordichuk and Rypien might not be necessary. Those two play hard but not tough. Nashville on the other hand will play a harder checking style, and a player like rypien who can make hit after hit after hit can be a good thing.

I will add this though... Bernier when asked to in the past has been a decent physical forechecker. I think with Johnson and Hansen he can create some havoc on other 4th line teams.

Either way the Canucks have a great problem.

Biggest Canuck Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
alternate

Quote:
these are all easy things to say before the playoffs begin

it will be nice revisiting thoughts like these when the physicality of the playoffs step up and the small canuck forwards get knocked around a bit
this doesn't make sense.

Bernier is our second biggest forward behind only Samuelsson, so putting him in instead of Hordy or Glass or Rypien (Rypien is closer to Wellwood's size than Bernier's) doesn't make us smaller.

Hansen is a bit slight of frame compared to Hordy or Glass, but please don't tell me adding their 15 pounds of beef makes up for the difference in skill, forecheck, and ability to kill penalties that Hansen provides. as long as Hansen continues his aggressive forecheck and finishing his hits, he's a far superior player than those two, especially when the need to have someone to answer the bell against a big goon is gone in the postseason.

I'll go on record right now and guarantee that losing the few pounds by putting Hansen in over Hordy/Glass will NOT cost us a series--any series. however, their is a real chance that Hansen scores a key goal or makes a key play on the PK or moves up a notch on the depth chart due to an in-game injury and that is the difference between winning and losing a particular game.

I mean lets be real...Hordy can barely handle 5 minutes of ice in the regular season...there's no way he should be dressed over Hansen's versatility in the postseason.

alternate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:05 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

vCash: 625
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
I mean lets be real...Hordy can barely handle 5 minutes of ice in the regular season...there's no way he should be dressed over Hansen's versatility in the postseason.

Jack Tripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:06 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

Very nice. Clearly that poster never watched last years playoffs.

LostMyGlasses* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:09 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:

Point taken my friend. However I don't think Hansen or Bernier would do less. Having said that again, what a great problem. There are some teams that barely have legit 2nd or 3rd lines, and the Canucks have a 3B or 4A line... pretty nice.

Bernier over the next 3 games will determine alot.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostMyGlasses View Post
this is fun, i love playoff hockey

Old
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
alternate

Quote:
clearly. I mean Hordy threw A hit and scored A goal LAST year, so clearly he's the best option we have. lol.

now show me where Hordy helped out on the PK or the PP, or moved up the lineup due to injury.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Remember this Shift by Rypien? Go to 1:32

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopPUvTbtds

Amazing shift!!

Old
04-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggest Canuck Fan View Post
Remember this Shift by Rypien? Go to 1:32

Amazing shift!!
hope you don't mind me embedding it for you...i was looking for that shift, it was awesome

but jannick hansen could produce the same momentum-changing moment, right?

Old
04-05-2010, 07:32 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
hope you don't mind me embedding it for you...i was looking for that shift, it was awesome

I think it depends on the team we are playing and the game. In a game 5 or 6 I want Hansen in. In a game 1 or 2 I want Rypien because of his ability to set a tone.

Mind you Hansen does create alot of havoc and a Johnson, Hansen Rypien line could be valuable.

It is a pointless argument until we know for certain who we are playing as if we are playing the Preds I want Hordichuk and rypien in the lineup 100%.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:34 PM
alternate

Quote:

and how much of that Rypien have you seen this season, especially in the second half? not much.

meanwhile, I could embed back to back GWGs by Hansen...from just a couple of weeks ago. not quite the same momentum shift, I know...but it should count for something at least.

also worth noting, Hansen 9 goals and 14 points in 44 games played.
Rypien and Hordy combined: 4 goals and 9 points in 123 games played.

short-handed TOI/Game: Hansen-1:47
Rypien 0:10
Hordichuck 0:00

in the playoffs, EVERY player (cept maybe Demo) plays physical. but Hansen brings so much more to the table than just that, especially the way the three have been playing of late. Hordy is better than Rypien, but Rypien has done nothing worth noting in months.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:36 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
clearly. I mean Hordy threw A hit and scored A goal LAST year, so clearly he's the best option we have. lol.

now show me where Hordy helped out on the PK or the PP, or moved up the lineup due to injury.
Lets be real here. Go look at what you said.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
QueenzBlvd

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Grabner
Demitra-Wellwood-Samuelsson
Hansen-Johnson-Bernier

This is an epic offensive weapon come playoff time.

QueenzBlvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
in the playoffs, EVERY player (cept maybe Demo) plays physical. but Hansen brings so much more to the table than just that, especially the way the three have been playing of late. Hordy is better than Rypien, but Rypien has done nothing worth noting in months.
just because every player plays physical doesn't mean you don't need physical players anymore

we'll have to just wait and see when the playoffs begin, i suspect av will not want to be one-dimensional and will still have a combo of rypien, hordichuk, or glass on the 4th line

Old
04-05-2010, 07:39 PM
alternate

Quote:
Lets be real here. Go look at what you said.
that Bernier matches Hordy/RR/Glass's physicality and is a far superior player, and that while Hansen is smaller than Hordy and Glass, his tenacious forecheck and versatility more than off-sets that?

not sure I follow your argument...but then I don't speak Don Cherryanese so that's to be expected I guess.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:

in the playoffs, EVERY player (cept maybe Demo) plays physical.
I think we are working with different definitions of physical.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:42 PM
alternate

Quote:
just because every player plays physical doesn't mean you don't need physical players anymore

we'll have to just wait and see when the playoffs begin, i suspect av will not want to be one-dimensional and will still have a combo of rypien, hordichuk, or glass on the 4th line
you really think we'll see TWO of those guys, assuming Bernier is ready to go? I sure hope AV's not still stuck in 1992 because the game just ain't that any more.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:45 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
you really think we'll see TWO of those guys, assuming Bernier is ready to go? I sure hope AV's not still stuck in 1992 because the game just ain't that any more.
yeah i really do think you'll see AT LEAST two of those guys

yeah, what does av know about playoff hockey, i'm sure random boarders from hfboards know alot more about what elements a successful playoff team needs

there are 4 video examples on this page of how rypien and hordichuk contributed physically and on the scoresheet during the st. louis and chicago series' last year...i would like to see or at least reference one example where hansen or bernier have brought that kind of element

i don't know why you think it's a don cherry mentality...nobody is talking about fighting, it's about not being one-dimensional as a forward group and being a difficult team to play against

Old
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:
...i would like to see or at least reference one example where hansen or bernier have brought that kind of element

Well Hansen hasn't really had a chance to show what he can do, but Bernier...

Bernier actually had some key goals last season by taking punishment in front of the net, an element missing from Hordichuk specifically.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:55 PM
alternate

Quote:

yeah, what does av know about playoff hockey, i'm sure random boarders from hfboards know alot more about what elements a successful playoff team needs

there are 4 video examples on this page of how rypien and hordichuk contributed physically and on the scoresheet during the st. louis and chicago series' last year...i would like to see or at least reference one example where hansen or bernier have brought that kind of element

i don't know why you think it's a don cherry mentality...nobody is talking about fighting, it's about not being one-dimensional as a forward group and being a difficult team to play against
hey LMG, clearly this poster didn't watch last year's playoffs, right?

Bernier was arguably our best player in last year's playoffs and was a force physically.

I do like the "on the scoresheet" reference though...considering the two combined for 3 points in 20 games. not what they are in the line-up for, I know, but why mention it then?

we'll see though...if AV dresses Hordy/RR/Glass instead of Hansen, he's making a mistake. if he dresses any over a healthy and effective Bernier, he's a dolt. But if he's going to make the mistake of dressing one of those three, it should be, in order: Glass, Hordy............................................. ..............................Rypien.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:
hey LMG, clearly this poster didn't watch last year's playoffs, right?

Bernier was arguably our best player in last year's playoffs and was a force physically.

I do like the "on the scoresheet" reference though...considering the two combined for 3 points in 20 games. not what they are in the line-up for, I know, but why mention it then?

we'll see though...if AV dresses Hordy/RR/Glass instead of Hansen, he's making a mistake. if he dresses any over a healthy and effective Bernier, he's a dolt. But if he's going to make the mistake of dressing one of those three, it should be, in order: Glass, Hordy............................................. ..............................Rypien.
whatever, you clearly have a thing against av's use of the 4th line

if i'm making playoff lineups, i'm assuming bernier isn't even playing on the 4th line, i'm penciling him in the top-9 due to inevitable injuries or grabner not being able to adapt to playoff hockey

Old
04-05-2010, 08:00 PM
Canucksrock

Quote:

I am not going to get into the whole Bernier/Hansen vs Hordi/Ryp debate, BUT Bernier played on the third line the entire playoffs and played well, on a line that played well. Hansen, since his first stint in the 07 playoffs (where he, as a rookie, and bulis played very well together) has been noticeable as well. To say these players can not make a difference in some way during a series that Hordi/Ryp cant is asinine, same to say that Hordi/Ryp don't bring something that these two players don't. But the key is to put the best players on the ice that give the team the best chance to win, and I for one believe a line of Hansen-Johnson-Bernier would be a hell of a fourth line that would not be stuck in there own zone the entire time.

Dammit I didn't want to get into who was the better option ah well c'est la vie

Canucksrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:07 PM
LostMyGlasses*

Quote:
whatever, you clearly have a thing against av's use of the 4th line

if i'm making playoff lineups, i'm assuming bernier isn't even playing on the 4th line, i'm penciling him in the top-9 due to inevitable injuries or grabner not being able to adapt to playoff hockey
This I agree with. If Bernier is healthy I see him in the top 9 as well

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Samuelsson
Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier
Glass/Hansen-Johnson-Rypien/Hordichuk

I just don't see enough balance otherwise. And unless AV has completely changed the way he coaches the game, I think we'll see something similar.

Old
04-05-2010, 08:11 PM
Jack Tripper
I Don't Even...

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier

I just don't see enough balance otherwise. And unless AV has completely changed the way he coaches the game, I think we'll see something similar.
this is what i see as well

grabner would sub in if any of the top-9 forwards get injured

i think grabner has at least earned the opportunity to start in the top-9, but i just don't have confidence that he's ready to play there consistently during the playoffs

Old
04-05-2010, 08:22 PM
Biggest Canuck Fan

Quote:

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Demitra-Wellwood-Bernier

I think it depends on Berniers play over the past 3 games as well as Grabners play. If Grabner looks great and is a constant threat, how can you pull him? As well Bernier has sort of run out of chances in terms of being a top 9 player. He was supposed to be a 20+ goal guy and while he has 11 G 10 A in 56 games.

Grabner has shown in his few games that he can be more effective in those limited games than Bernier has been all season. Now Bernier can still be used in special teams roles if needed but I would be suprised if Bernier replaces or supplants Grabner.