2010 Offseason

Old
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I think it will be tough to get Plekanec, I think he wants to stay in Montreal. Jokinen could happen though. That would be a significant improvement, we all know that Ebbett is expendable, but if we were able to sign someone like him or Plekanec, then our 2nd line would be great.

I think that if Teemu retires after this year, Saku will want to come here or retire. If that's true, would we want him? I think he would be a decent player between Havlat and Latendresse because of Mikko's chemistry with Bruno.
Not saying that it is an easy sell on either, but it's a better shot than trading for Briere.

And BigT summed up Saku well enough - after last summer's shennigans, it's hard to bet on the Koivus being united.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:28 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Saku has already said that he won't come here because of baby brother. He doesn't want to steal his thunder at all. Whether or not that mentality would change, would remain to be decided. However, I would put my money to the old Finnish guys would retire together and spend the rest of their days back home.

Lets just go for Pavelski while we're at though guys
Hah, I just don't see many "knock your socks off" signings this offseason, we don't have the capspace to do so not to mention the FA pool this year isn't great.

I expect to see a lot of movement at the draft, but I don't think that we will be part of it. I'm sure Fletch will consider some things, but we just don't have much to move around. I'm really excited to see what guys we can draft and get excited about that.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:46 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
And BigT summed up Saku well enough - after last summer's shennigans, it's hard to bet on the Koivus being united.
I'm right every once and awhile

Quote:
Hah, I just don't see many "knock your socks off" signings this offseason, we don't have the capspace to do so not to mention the FA pool this year isn't great.

I expect to see a lot of movement at the draft, but I don't think that we will be part of it. I'm sure Fletch will consider some things, but we just don't have much to move around. I'm really excited to see what guys we can draft and get excited about that.

I'm just saying lol. At this point we have made some type of "prospoal" offer for:

-Jordan Staal
-Keith Versteeg
-Patrick Sharp
-Christobel Huet
-Danny Briere
-Thomas Vanek
-Nathan Horton
-Valeri Filppula

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 02:55 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
I'm right every once and awhile

I'm just saying lol. At this point we have made some type of "prospoal" offer for:

-Jordan Staal
-Keith Versteeg
-Patrick Sharp
-Christobel Huet
-Danny Briere
-Thomas Vanek
-Nathan Horton
-Valeri Filppula
Don't you mean Kris?

Yeah, I know. I suppose that's what our job is here speculating about possible deals. I want to do it too, but I just don't see much of a market for Harding, and goalies just don't have much value in the market it seems like.

Old
04-05-2010, 03:36 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

1. Schultz traded for a pick
2. Bouchard retires. Lineup filled in with affordable players
3. Kovalchuck signed, Koivuchuk line created
4. Profit

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

That hypothetical beats the present plan of:
1. House mediocre team and continue to sell out the building.
2. ????
3. Profit

Old
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
HoverCarle*

Send a message via MSN to HoverCarle*
Briere plays RW as well as C, if that changes anything for you guys.

5 years after this one(pretty bad)

HoverCarle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:27 PM
BamBam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
Figured being officially eliminated warranted a look towards the summer. Just my $0.02. Here we go...

Free Agent Signings/Re-signings
Re-sign Latendresse 3-4 years @ $3-4 million per year (call it $3.5)
Re-sign Ebbet @ ~$1 mil
Drop Boogaard & Scott, sign Shawn Thornton (UFA-Bos): more offensive ability but can still throw some knuckles around when he has to
Re-sign Earl as a regular 4th line W @ ~$750k
Sign a cheap backup goalie or make Khoudobin backup @ ~$750k (No Harding? See below)
thanks for your most excellent spreadsheet et al.

would suggest add to the drop Boogaard & Scott:
re-sign Matt Kassian. backup plan if Thorton signing does not happen. also more offensive ability. can definitely throw the knuckles with top heavies. price is right.

BamBam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hovercraft View Post
Briere plays RW as well as C, if that changes anything for you guys.

5 years after this one(pretty bad)
Don't worry, sooner or later someone will hire Bob Gainey and Doug Risebrough.

Old
04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
I'd like to see the Wild do this right.

PRIORITIES:

1. Extend Koivu and Latendresse. Gotta keep these two.

2. Bring in either a 2nd line center or another scoring winger. The first would inherit Havlat and Latendresse, giving the Wild a new top line. The second would bump Koivu's line up to a true top line. Ideally you'd like both, but I'm trying to keep this realistic. If Bouchard comes back, he could be that 2nd center.

3. Send Mittens to shooting school. The guy did get to 20 goals, but a sniper in his shoes would be around 35 right now.

4. Get rid of the deadwood, with Booger and Hnidy at the top of the list.

5. Continue to get younger and faster. Wellman is a breath of fresh air with his wheels. The Wild have spent too much time looking for size and toughness and forgot about speed and skill. I think Fletcher realizes this.

That, along with a lights out draft, would be an adequate off season.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:08 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:

Draft Day Trade
I realize the chances of getting Patrick Sharpe from Chicago are probably very slim. I don't see a way to do it straight up. So I added a team.

Wild Get:
Sharpe (from Chi)
2010 6th rounder (from NJ)

Devils Get:
Harding (from Min)
2010 4th rounder (from Chi)

Blackhawks Get:
Miettinen (from Min)
2010 2nd rounder (from Min)
2010 2nd rounder (from NJ)

Why Minnesota does it: get a legit 1st line scoring winger for Koivu; only a $1.6 mil bump in salary; gets value for Harding
Why NJ does it: they have 1 goalie prospect in their system, his name is Jeff Frazee. Brodeur is 37 years old. Enough said.
Why Chicago does it: Mittens is cheaper, contract expires (good for a team in a bit of salary cap angst) and plays same position. Also get semi-high draft picks (a good way to find CHEAP talent)

Who says no? Probably Chicago. If they make Sharpe available, I'm sure that they could get better offers. However, do they still say no if MN adds a 2011 first round pick? I'm not so sure anymore.?
Yeah that deal wont work for Hawks because of Miettinen

The reason we would consider moving Sharp is because we have to many young forwards. Skille is expected to be on our roster next year and Beach almost made the hawks this past year so I expect if Hawks think he will be ready they would move him.

2 of Sharp , Byfuglien and Versteeg will likely be traded. I think Sharp and Steeger will be the ones traded as Buff has size + his contract expires next year and he can play both Wing and D so I see Hawks keeping him. Plus Sharp and Steeger would garner more interest I think in a trade

Quote:

The Sharp deal I don't think the Hawks do. I think that we could end up getting him for something like...

get:
Harding
Mid-tier prospect (we don't have many, so I can't really say who)
2nd 2010 (ours or Wash's)

get:
Patrick Sharp

I doubt that this trade would happen either, but we don't know who will be offering what and things like that. I hope that we are able to trade Harding this offseason for a scoring winger type. I doubt that Sharp goes that cheap..
Your right this trade wont happen either because Harding is not something we will need. With Niemi's emergence and Crawford in system signed for 1 more year at only 800k I expect Niemi/Crawford to be our goalie tandem next year with Huet buried in minors or traded (Most likely buried)

Quote:
I just don't think that we make good trading partners with the Blackhawks straight up. Is Harding that good of an upgrade over Niemi? That's why I think a 3rd team needs to be included: a team that NEEDS a young goaltender for the future and can give Chicago value for us.
Yep Niemi has already proven more in his 1 season then Harding has in his several and given Harding's health issues I would worry about him longterm

I think Harding would actually be a perfect fit for Flyers in offseason but they lack picks and there prospect pool has weakened considerably in recent years

Quote:

However I like this type of deal, sure they wouldn't:

Chicago Gets:
2011 1st round
2010 2nd round
2010 2nd round
Harding
Ebbett

Minny Gets:
Sharp
Versteeg ?
Deal is a nonstarter for Hawks because we dont need Harding and Ebbett was terrible with Hawks

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

Deal #1
Backstrom for Sharp + Huet. Chicago dumps Huet's bad contract and gets a #1 goalie. Wild get a RW for Koivu. .
Hawks cant afford to carry another 6 mil contract longterm. Huet will be gone by any means next year and Sharp would be moved to clear more cap room especially with Brouwer and Seabrook's contracts expiring after next season

Here are my 2 proposals as a Hawks fan

Sharp for Hackett and 1st in 2010

Versteeg for 1st in 2011

What do you think?

I figure the 1st wont be popular but Sharp is just entering his prime and has a good contract. He is the type of guy that can help with young players that may be coming thru Wild system. A good leader and can play all 3 forward positions.

Hackett gives Hawks a goalie prospect for Rockford and the pick should be between 10-15. Might seem a little high price to pay but Sharp is proven NHL talent and has Selke caliber D.

2nd deal you get a young winger while Hawks get a 1st in a draft that is meh right now , Could be weakest in years

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:36 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

Versteeg for 1st in 2011

What do you think?

I figure the 1st wont be popular but Sharp is just entering his prime and has a good contract. He is the type of guy that can help with young players that may be coming thru Wild system. A good leader and can play all 3 forward positions.

Hackett gives Hawks a goalie prospect for Rockford and the pick should be between 10-15. Might seem a little high price to pay but Sharp is proven NHL talent and has Selke caliber D.

2nd deal you get a young winger while Hawks get a 1st in a draft that is meh right now , Could be weakest in years
1. Tough sell. EVERYBODY knows that we are very weak in young, high-end offensive talent. Trading a top 1/3rd first round draft pick in a strong draft isn't what we want GMCF to do. It sounds exactly like something Dougie Fresh would have done. But, man, I want Sharpe on this team.

2. More conceivable. Again, giving up a first rounder is tough for a prospect-starved organization, but Versteeg is young. Where would he play? 1st line would bump Miettinen down to the 4th; I'm not sure how that would go over and I wouldn't want to acquire him to play on the 4th line.

Damn

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:40 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Yeah that deal wont work for Hawks because of Miettinen

The reason we would consider moving Sharp is because we have to many young forwards. Skille is expected to be on our roster next year and Beach almost made the hawks this past year so I expect if Hawks think he will be ready they would move him.

2 of Sharp , Byfuglien and Versteeg will likely be traded. I think Sharp and Steeger will be the ones traded as Buff has size + his contract expires next year and he can play both Wing and D so I see Hawks keeping him. Plus Sharp and Steeger would garner more interest I think in a trade

Your right this trade wont happen either because Harding is not something we will need. With Niemi's emergence and Crawford in system signed for 1 more year at only 800k I expect Niemi/Crawford to be our goalie tandem next year with Huet buried in minors or traded (Most likely buried)

Yep Niemi has already proven more in his 1 season then Harding has in his several and given Harding's health issues I would worry about him longterm

I think Harding would actually be a perfect fit for Flyers in offseason but they lack picks and there prospect pool has weakened considerably in recent years

Deal is a nonstarter for Hawks because we dont need Harding and Ebbett was terrible with Hawks

Hawks cant afford to carry another 6 mil contract longterm. Huet will be gone by any means next year and Sharp would be moved to clear more cap room especially with Brouwer and Seabrook's contracts expiring after next season

Versteeg for 1st in 2011

What do you think?

I appreciate the analysis from a Hawk perspective, it's hard to know what the opposing team is thinking. I think it's going to be hard to justify trading away our 1st round pick this year and we just don't have the prospects to do it if you ask me. I don't think we can afford to give up our first rounder in 2010 and Hackett. He looks like he may be really good and we just need to let him grow down in the AHL I think.

I have a feeling that we won't be able to pry Sharp away from the Hawks without paying up a lot. (not trying to say he isn't worth it) I just think that we can't give up our prospects when we have so few to begin with.

Old
04-05-2010, 11:13 PM
State of Hockey

The Wild needs to be adding 1st rounders, not losing them.

I don't see Chicago as a trade partner. Neither team can take on significant salary, and Minnesota can't be looking at Sharp or Versteeg as an instant fix.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

BTW TT is going to be helping with this years draft. Puke.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:45 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I'll be shocked if the Blackhawks get a top 15-20 pick for Sharp with the financial mess their roster is in.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

Versteeg for 1st in 2011

What do you think?

I wouldn't do the first just because the Wild aren't at a point where adding talent at the expense of youth will be beneficial. It's because of Hackett (whose stock has gone up a lot since being drafted) that a Harding trade would not deplete the goalie depth chart and the first round pick is at this point the most important asset the team has given how shallow the Minnesota prospect pipeline is (especially at forward).

The second deal might be a good starting point in terms of value, but given the Wild do not have a second round pick in 2011 (traded to Boston in the Kobasew trade) it is a little tougher to pull the trigger on that one at this point. Maybe if it was before the draft, something like the Wild's second round pick in 2010 (~38) and a mid-level prospect (someone like Foucault or Kalus).

Old
04-06-2010, 02:59 PM
BigT2002

Quote:

Versteeg for 1st in 2011

What do you think?
#1 isn't going to happen because this pick is so damn high and we need to get prospects into this system

#2 in a heartbeat

Old
04-06-2010, 03:24 PM
mnwildgophers

Sharp would be ideal, but Versteeg could be a good fit on Koivu's wing or between Latendresse and Havlat. Doesn't he play center too?

The only problem with the 1st round pick in 2011 is that we don't have a 2nd rounder that year either as GopherState said. I hear it's not supposed to be a good draft year, but what if we suck again and we traded our first away for that? I'm not really in favor of trading our 2nd rounder this year, but I do realize that we need to give to get. I'm glad I'm not a GM.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
State of Hockey

Kris Versteeg is not worth a late 1st rounder, let alone a potential top-5 1st rounder. He's a soft, streaky 2nd-line winger at best. Versteeg is probably the one player on the Hawks that I wouldn't touch. With the way he inconsistently plays, I just don't trust him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
I'll be shocked if the Blackhawks get a top 15-20 pick for Sharp with the financial mess their roster is in.
Well one NHL GM was dumb enough to essentially give them a #16 overall and more for Cam Barker, a player not nearly on the same level as Sharp. Don't bet against it.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:33 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Sharp would be ideal, but Versteeg could be a good fit on Koivu's wing or between Latendresse and Havlat. Doesn't he play center too?
Put him at center with Havlat. They were on the same line in Chicago and that just screams even better chemistry on that line.

Quote:
The only problem with the 1st round pick in 2011 is that we don't have a 2nd rounder that year either as GopherState said. I hear it's not supposed to be a good draft year, but what if we suck again and we traded our first away for that? I'm not really in favor of trading our 2nd rounder this year, but I do realize that we need to give to get. I'm glad I'm not a GM.
If we suck again, we just trade Burns next year. He'll have another year left on the contract and that is a for sure 2nd rounder, if not late 1st rounder for a playoff bound team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Kris Versteeg is not worth a late 1st rounder, let alone a potential top-5 1st rounder. He's a soft, streaky 2nd-line winger at best. Versteeg is probably the one player on the Hawks that I wouldn't touch. With the way he inconsistently plays, I just don't trust him.
Versteeg is an amazing PK forward and that is something we are lacking is depth on two lines to do it. He wouldn't touch the PP though that is for sure. I am more concerend about what any team should be with a center:

1) can he win the draws?
2) can he forecheck/backcheck?
3) can he get into position relatively easy? What about the net?
4) can he get it out to the points when the defense collapses in?
5) can he score?

The 2nd line is all about Latendresse, so KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) and it is just fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Well one NHL GM was dumb enough to essentially give them a #16 overall and more for Cam Barker, a player not nearly on the same level as Sharp. Don't bet against it.
As Gopher has stated before, if Leddy turns into a Keithe or Green, then we screwed the pooch. If he turns into a Thielen, then we actually made out like a bandit on the trade. Johnnson was a great asset for this team with getting it up the ice and keeping pressure by pinching, but that contract was horrid, and I don't think he was going to take a paycut anyways. We get younger and Barker can play Top 4 minutes. If not, we make the moves and get someone who can.

Old
04-06-2010, 06:41 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
If we suck again, we just trade Burns next year. He'll have another year left on the contract and that is a for sure 2nd rounder, if not late 1st rounder for a playoff bound team.
I'm not sure why we would "just trade" a 25 year old, offensively talented 6'5'' defenseman who isn't a whole lot of years removed from future Norris Trophy talk.

Dr Jan Itor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:53 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I'm not sure why we would "just trade" a 25 year old, offensively talented 6'5'' defenseman who isn't a whole lot of years removed from future Norris Trophy talk.
Lol, I'm just saying that is all.

But let me put it another way really quick. The Detroit Red Wings have not had a 1st round draft pick since 2000. They've had 2 3rd round picks during the last decade of which they got Filpulla and Franzen respectively. Yet somehow this is the team in which all pro sports teams are set to be like as far as prospect development. Not bad I would say, no?

Or we can also look at this fact really quick as well:

Number of players over 30: 5
Number of players between 21-28: 17

Of those 5 that over 30, there is only two that are signed long term and that is Zidlicky who is 33 and Backstrom who is 32. Nolan, Brunette, and Hnidy are all UFA next year.

So in closing my rebuttal: We are not going to be hurting if we lose the 1st round next year, especially if there isn't anything that is worth pushing for like this year. I haven't looked at the 2011 draft prospects so I'm just going by heresay. Yes, our prospect pool kind of gets hampered by not getting them. But at this point, our team is becoming more stable than it ever has before. It is not relying soley on 1 or 2 lines to do literally everything.

Last edited by BigT2002: 04-06-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
mnwildgophers

I see where you are coming from, but I don't think that we should just trade Burns for a 2nd, I'd think he is worth a lot more than that.

As for Versteeg, it'd be an interesting proposition, but we tend to overvalue our players or undervalue them. The Hawks fans were thrilled that they got Leddy when they traded away Barker. I personally don't think Barker has been that bad. He's like 23 and was a #3 overall pick, I'm sure he will be fine. Our D looks great with him on it.

I think if we have a strong draft this year, then I could see us parting ways with our 1st rounder. We'll have to wait and see what happens before I think we should part ways with that pick.

Old
04-06-2010, 07:08 PM
BigT2002

Let me make this known now, just so we all are on the same page. I do care about our future players, don't get it twisted but....

I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT HOUSTON DOES

there I feel better now