3. TB, Fla. NYI - 74
6. Canes - 76
7. CBJ - 77
8. WILD, Thrash, NYR - 80
11. Bos, Phl - 82

•Outlook for top ten pick: pretty good.

•Wow does the East stink.

•The Wild finish @Van, @Edm, @Cal, Dal.

•The Thrashers finish @Pit, NJ, @Wash, Pit. Ouch for them.

•The Rangers finish @Fla,@Buf, Tor, Phi, @ Phi.

Last edited by GopherState: 05-24-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Bookman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:30 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 500
God I want a lottery draft so bad

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:51 AM
mnwildgophers

Looks like the lowest we will go is about #7 provided we lose the rest of our games. That puts us in a good spot to pick a high end forward I would hope.

I'm personally pulling for Nino.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:16 PM
youvegotit*

Unlikely, but possible (mathematically) the wild could slide down to 3rd spot before the lottery (fingers crossed).

youvegotit* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 09:43 PM
countrygentleman
The Kaptain Says ARR

Gosh.... we suck! Risebrough really put us in a tough spot here. Honestly, how long do you all think this rebuild will take? Another two/three years after this one is my opinion.

countrygentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 10:50 PM
shleeban

I secretly want us to lose out and get a better pic.

if we somehow got a top two pick in the lottery id need to change my pants.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 12:12 AM
mnwildgophers

We most likely will be picking from #9-12

Old
04-04-2010, 07:19 AM
BigT2002

Even at #9 that leaves a ******** of players. Nino is a very huge possibility. Then you could have your mancrush like Gopher

Old
04-04-2010, 09:26 AM
shleeban

I wouldn't mind us getting kirril. Russians generally can score well

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 09:36 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleeban View Post
I wouldn't mind us getting kirril. Russians generally can score well
We've never had a Russian on this team though. Its been mainly: Finnish, Canadian, American, Czech, and Slovak.

Wouldn't put it past them getting a Finnish player to replace another Finnish player

Old
04-04-2010, 09:56 AM
mnwildgophers

I think I'll have a man-crush on the guy we take in the first round no matter who he is provided he isn't a d-man unless it's Fowler.

Old
04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
Bookman

vCash: 1000
Wild take over sole possession of the 8 spot after last night's action.

1. Oilers(4 games remaining) - 56
2. Leafs(3) - 72
3. TB(4), Fla.(4) - 74
5. NYI(4), Canes(3) - 76
7. CBJ(3) - 77
8. WILD(4) - 80
9. Thrash(3) - 81
10. NYR(4), Phl(4) - 82
12. Bos.(4) Dal.(3) - 84

Old
04-04-2010, 10:47 AM
mnwildgophers

Oilers have #1 locked up providing they don't lose the lottery. Go Isles, Canes, and Blue Jackets, we need another loss! Hah! Well, I can hope for it now since we are mathematically eliminated. I hate seeing us lose, but we need a high pick that pans out so badly.

Old
04-04-2010, 12:18 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Oilers have #1 locked up providing they don't lose the lottery. Go Isles, Canes, and Blue Jackets, we need another loss! Hah! Well, I can hope for it now since we are mathematically eliminated. I hate seeing us lose, but we need a high pick that pans out so badly.
This is the key. Minnesota isn't in this position because of not having high picks; they are in this position because four high picks (12, 4, 9 and 16) in a row have been busts (or are starting to look like one).

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 02:48 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by countrygentleman View Post
Gosh.... we suck! Risebrough really put us in a tough spot here. Honestly, how long do you all think this rebuild will take? Another two/three years after this one is my opinion.
This season has nothing to do with Risebrough. We were undone by a horrid start, a terrible road record, 300+ man games lost to injury, and most disturbingly, a team that fails to show up when games absolutely mattered most.

I don't think we're that far off- I think we got the tools to be a post season team next year, and anything goes at that point. I think the notion that we have to have a sexy team (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Washington, et al) to be contenders is a bit of a misnomer. All that matters is when a team gets hot.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 05:21 PM
mnwildgophers

It's nice to have a "sexy" team, but if we make it to the playoffs, there's a lot that we can do. We must draft well this offseason and we will be a lot better next year since we hopefully won't have such a horrid start.

Old
04-05-2010, 01:42 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceUNO View Post
This season has nothing to do with Risebrough. .
Keep telling yourself that;

Minnesota got handcuffed with awful contracts at the beginning of the season, a very depleted prospect group and not much to work with in terms of players but a big payroll. Fletcher really didn't put his stamp on the team until he started shifting players from Riser's regime (Weller) to other teams. Yes he brought in Havlat but he had to cover for Riser letting Gaborik walk or else this team would have no one shooting the puck.

Riser crippled this team for years to come and Minnesota will need to think long and hard about each decision including:

- Koivu's contract
- Burns development (this is directly related to Riser's handling of the roster. Burns got bounced a lot, never settled on a role with the organization and when he finally did, he ended up exploding)
- Backstrom's contract (6 million for a goaltender that isn't what this organization needs at this time is a lot of money (1/9th of the roster's money)
- Bouchard's contract (if Bouchard returns)
- Sheppard and Gillies development (as sad as it is, Sheppard needs to develop or else Minnesota is going to be in worse shape. Same goes with Gillies)

We also, for some odd reason, still have Thompson employed here.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:27 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post

Minnesota got handcuffed with awful contracts at the beginning of the season, a very depleted prospect group and not much to work with in terms of players but a big payroll. Fletcher really didn't put his stamp on the team until he started shifting players from Riser's regime (Weller) to other teams. Yes he brought in Havlat but he had to cover for Riser letting Gaborik walk or else this team would have no one shooting the puck.

Riser crippled this team for years to come and Minnesota will need to think long and hard about each decision including:

- Koivu's contract
- Burns development (this is directly related to Riser's handling of the roster. Burns got bounced a lot, never settled on a role with the organization and when he finally did, he ended up exploding)
- Backstrom's contract (6 million for a goaltender that isn't what this organization needs at this time is a lot of money (1/9th of the roster's money)
- Sheppard and Gillies development (as sad as it is, Sheppard needs to develop or else Minnesota is going to be in worse shape. Same goes with Gillies)

thespeckledwiki,

With all due respect, in the last 5 years I have never seen you post something remotely positive about anything regarding the Wild. And even though sometimes you do make good points, it is always based around Risebrough being an idiot, us not having any prospects, etc.

You should try looking at some of the things that went well this season...Lats, Fletcher got a 3rd round pick and turned that into Hackett, Scandella, etc. The Wild will never draft perfectly, play perfectly etc., and even though we haven't been near a cup, it would be hard to argue that the Wild still wouldn't be the model franchise if there was ever more expansion.

Last edited by GopherState: 04-05-2010 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Flaming
Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Bookman

Thanks a lot Antti for the meaningless point!!

1. Oilers(4 games remaining) - 56
2. Leafs(3) - 72
3. TB(4), Fla.(4) - 74
5. NYI(4), Canes(3) - 76
7. CBJ(3) - 77
8. WILD(3), Thrash(3) - 81
10. NYR(4), - 82
11. Bos.(4) Dal.(3)Phl(3) - 84

Looking more and more like 8 or 9.

Old
04-05-2010, 04:13 PM
firstroundbust
lacks explosiveness

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
I will, because its true.

Quote:
Minnesota got handcuffed with awful contracts at the beginning of the season, a very depleted prospect group and not much to work with in terms of players but a big payroll. Fletcher really didn't put his stamp on the team until he started shifting players from Riser's regime (Weller) to other teams.
What team doesn't have bad contracts? If you are referring to PMB, then its a non issue since he was put on LTIR, meaning that 4 mil was available for use.
And Fletcher moving players like Pouliot, Weller, and Johnsson for Latendresse, Kobasew, and Barker is a bad thing?

Quote:
Yes he brought in Havlat but he had to cover for Riser letting Gaborik walk or else this team would have no one shooting the puck.
Havlat wanted to come here to play; it had nothing to do for atoning for Gaborik's departure. And if it makes your pessimistic heart feel better, Havlat doesn't shoot the puck enough.

Quote:

- Koivu's contract

Risebrough didn't cripple this team. He didn't employ any form of prospect development, which leads to a lack of in house talent, which forces a GM to look outside of the organization for help...at a cost.

There's nothing that can be done about Backstrom and Bouchard's contracts- you could argue they look worse than they are because of the respective situations, but at the time they were steals because they were below what those players could have gotten on the market.
I'm not worried about Koivu's contract. Are you? You honestly think there would be an impasse?

Re: Sheppard and Gillies. They just need to play; Houston is the right spot for Gillies, and Sheppard, while his development was botched, he just needs ice time, whether its here or there.

And you're taking it out your frustration on Thompson, because he's the mouthpiece for the former scouting staff and prospect decisions. Its a different regime now, he's just the spokesman.

Its not like Doug Risebrough did irreversible damage to this organization, or "crippled" us. If he did, we'd be Tampa Bay.

firstroundbust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Bookman

1. Oilers(3 games remaining) - 56
2. Leafs(3) - 72
3. TB(4), Fla.(4) - 74
5. NYI(4), Canes(3) - 76
7. CBJ(2) - 78
8. WILD(2), Thrash(3) - 81
10. NYR(4), - 82
11. Dal.(3)Phl(3) - 84
13. Anh(4), Bos(3) - 85

•As the Wild could at most get 85 points, they'll draft no lower than 14.

•The highest they could go mathematically would be 3. With a lucky lottery, they could still get the #1 overall pick

Old
04-06-2010, 08:57 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
1. Oilers(3 games remaining) - 56
2. Leafs(3) - 72
3. TB(4), Fla.(4) - 74
5. NYI(4), Canes(3) - 76
7. CBJ(2) - 78
8. WILD(2), Thrash(3) - 81
10. NYR(4), - 82
11. Dal.(3)Phl(3) - 84
13. Anh(4), Bos(3) - 85

•As the Wild could at most get 85 points, they'll draft no lower than 14.

•The highest they could go mathematically would be 3. With a lucky lottery, they could still get the #1 overall pick
Appreciate this Bookman, if we don't win our last 2, and the Isles, Canes, and Jackets win out, and provided the Thrashers get a point, we'd be drafting...4th overall?

I think we'll end up drafting around #7 or #8 at this point with only 2 games remaining. That should set us up for a nice pick.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:12 AM
Bookman

Tampa or Florida could still pass the Wild as well if they win out. Seeing as they end with a home in home series, they could in theory both tie the Wild, or one could pass them out right. Not sure what the tie-breakers would be in case of a tie(wins?).

At any rate, I don't expect this to happen. I'm just trying to nail down the range here.

A top 8 pick would be fine by me.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:24 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
Tampa or Florida could still pass the Wild as well if they win out. Seeing as they end with a home in home series, they could in theory both tie the Wild, or one could pass them out right. Not sure what the tie-breakers would be in case of a tie(wins?).

At any rate, I don't expect this to happen. I'm just trying to nail down the range here.

A top 8 pick would be fine by me.
Depending on if we win or lose our last two games will go a long way in determining where we draft, I think if we lose both of our next games we will probably be drafting about #7. If we win both, I see us moving back to #10. I think at this point, we are looking at #7-10 pick.

The tiebreaker is wins in which we have a lot of comparing to other teams. It will be interesting to see how it all shakes out, I think Vs. is broadcasting the lottery live on next Tuesday or something?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:37 AM
Bookman

Is the max number of spots you can move up 4 if you win the lottery?