HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks sign SEL free agent goalie Eddie Läck

Old
04-05-2010, 04:40 PM
Hedberg
MLD Glue Guy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorbane View Post
The Canucks have the rights of a bunch of random players still.

http://canucks.nhl.com/club/roster.htm?type=prospect

Sergei Topol?
Ilya Krikunov?
Colby Genoway??
There's no transfer agreeement with Russia, so they have the Russian players until they are 27. Same with Genoway as he is technically still an unsigned RFA because they qualified him.

Hedberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:50 PM
Scouter

vCash: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by AugerLovesBurrows View Post
There's no transfer agreeement with Russia, so they have the Russian players until they are 27. Same with Genoway as he is technically still an unsigned RFA because they qualified him.
It's until they are either signed or retire I believe.

Scouter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:18 PM
R0bert0 Lu0ng0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
Schneider was 21 years old when he signed his first SPC (dob 18 March 1986 and signed his first SPC on 03 July 2007) so under the CBA he is arbitration eligible at the end of this contract as he only needs three years of pro experience (i.e a season where he plays 10 or more games).

If Schneider does not elect salary arbitration (and that seems a likely scenario) then Gillis can do so and that prevents any team from tendering an RFA offer sheet to Schneider. In that case the Canucks elect arbitration in lieu of a QO.

Few cases actually make it to arbitration but it would preempt offer sheets and give the Canucks additional time to woork out a deal with Schneider.
Now, under certain circumstances a team can decide whether to accept the arbitration award on a one or two year deal - is that player-elected arbitration only?

R0bert0 Lu0ng0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:55 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:

Sergei Topol?
Ilya Krikunov?
Colby Genoway??
How about Leif Rohlin?

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:23 PM
Bubbles
Tank for Tyler2016

vCash: 200
Quote:

Sergei Topol?
Ilya Krikunov?
Colby Genoway??

I would throw those names out once in a while to amuse my buddies. Along with Denis Grot and Markus Kankanperra.

Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:53 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy View Post
Now, under certain circumstances a team can decide whether to accept the arbitration award on a one or two year deal - is that player-elected arbitration only?
A team can walk away on player elected arbitration but only if it is an award over certain amount. If you recall last year the Canucks had to accept the Wellwood award because it did not break the award minimum amount (last year $1.57 million).

On team elected arbitration the team must accept whatever is awarded as there are no walk away rights.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Unless the Canucks buck up significantly on a one-way, I do not see Schneider signing a 2 year deal.

As you note his Group 6 free agent status is a concern.

If Schneider does not play sufficient NHL games (28) by the time he is 25 (end of the 2010-11 season assuming he does not sign a contract extending beyond that season) then he will be a Group 6 free agent. He must actually play at least 30 minutes for a game to count for these purposes. Sitting on the bench as a back up does not count. To date he has played 10 games but only 7 of them will count as he played less than 30 minutes in 3 of his credited games. So he must play 21 NHL games next and he must be in those 21 games for 30 minutes or more.

Schneider was 21 years old when he signed his first SPC (dob 18 March 1986 and signed his first SPC on 03 July 2007) so under the CBA he is arbitration eligible at the end of this contract as he only needs three years of pro experience (i.e a season where he plays 10 or more games).

If Schneider does not elect salary arbitration (and that seems a likely scenario) then Gillis can do so and that prevents any team from tendering an RFA offer sheet to Schneider. In that case the Canucks elect arbitration in lieu of a QO.

Few cases actually make it to arbitration but it would preempt offer sheets and give the Canucks additional time to woork out a deal with Schneider.
Hard to see Schneider winning big in arbitration. He got beat out by Raycroft. I have to think if the pressure is on with arbitration he'd take a 1 way deal for cheaper salary.

me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:03 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Hard to see Schneider winning big in arbitration. He got beat out by Raycroft. I have to think if the pressure is on with arbitration he'd take a 1 way deal for cheaper salary.
I think he would take a 1 year 1 way deal for about 750-800K which would give him a guaranteed contract that would net him 650K+ more a year than he has in the past 3 years in the AHL.

timw33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:31 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
As I indicated it is highly unlikely Schneider would elect arbitration but the Canucks might simply to forestall offer sheets.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:28 PM
Ched Brosky

arent players that are going to arbitration exempt from offer sheets?

Ched Brosky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
alternate

Quote:
As I indicated it is highly unlikely Schneider would elect arbitration but the Canucks might simply to forestall offer sheets.
I'd think it's almost a sure thing that they'll at least file for arbitration, just to avoid the offer sheet. then see about signing him to a 2 year one-way deal, maybe $1m cap hit. that gives time to get him some NHL experience and two deadlines and one draft to move him.

cap hit shouldn't be a major issue either. capgeek roster for next year, just using our own players (no outside UFA signings, but let Willie go):

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES
FORWARDS
Daniel Sedin ($6.100m) / Henrik Sedin ($6.100m) / Ryan Kesler ($5.000m)
* Mason Raymond ($2.883m) / Mikael Samuelsson ($2.500m) / Alexandre Burrows ($2.000m)
Steve Bernier ($2.000m) / Cody Hodgson ($1.696m) / Michael Grabner ($0.843m)
Darcy Hordichuk ($0.775m) / * Jannik Hansen ($0.750m) / * Tanner Glass ($0.600m)
Rick Rypien ($0.550m)
DEFENSEMEN
Kevin Bieksa ($3.750m) / Sami Salo ($3.500m)
Alexander Edler ($3.250m) / Christian Ehrhoff ($3.100m)
* Shane O'Brien ($2.000m) / Andrew Alberts ($1.050m)
* Aaron Rome ($0.725m) / Nolan Baumgartner ($0.550m)
GOALTENDERS
Roberto Luongo ($5.333m) / * Cory Schneider ($1.084m)
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER: 23; PAYROLL: $56.140m; CAP ROOM: $1.510m BONUSES: $0.850m

that's not including the .9k cap increase, or whatever it is. so around $2.5m cap space, even with Schneider getting same as he gets this year.

prob use Baumer's cap hit to add a 14th forward, then look to replace Mitchell by moving Biekas and/or Raymond.

unless Schneider gets dealt, I can't see him not being Luongo's back-up next season, even with a bigger cap hit. bad asset management--both in terms of trade value and player development--to have him on the Moose next year. and with some minor tweaking, we can fit him under the cap pretty comfortably. with Lu's cap # going down next year, we'll be allotting about the same $$ as this year.

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:28 AM
MS

Schneider won't be in the AHL again next year - he's either going to be the backup here or dealt to another organization for whatever we can get. My bet is on the latter.

So we're left having to re-build our goaltending in Manitoba for next year. I'm sure the organization wants to work on developing a younger asset in there and there are no prospects in the organization, so this is the guy.

We'll probably sign a minor-league veteran to share goaltending duties with Lack, and the amount of starts Lack gets will depend on how he performs.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:50 AM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

vCash: 796
With Luongo's erratic starts of late, trading a pretty good goalie prospect who has been very patient and has low trade value makes no sense whatsoever esp. when Luongo's reliever is most likely gone.

I was also thinking to bring Schneider up next year - and probably play him the requisite 15 games - you would need a pretty decent guy down on the farm who can be called up in case of injury and who does not have to clear waivers. I believe that question has now been answered.

Also, the cap is a non-issue by my math.

Give credit to MG and his team for some good thinking on this one.

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:20 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outside99 View Post
I was also thinking to bring Schneider up next year - and probably play him the requisite 15 games - you would need a pretty decent guy down on the farm who can be called up in case of injury and who does not have to clear waivers. I believe that question has now been answered.
Would disagree with this.

Lack is only 22 and was a backup in the SEL this year. He's being signed as a project and I'd be *shocked* if he's the #1 option in Manitoba when their season opens there in October.

This is a guy the club will hope to develop into a decent asset over several years, and right now I'd say he projects to be the AHL backup right now, all things being equal.

We'll still sign a more proven AHL guy to carry the load down there this season. There's no way we're handing that job to a guy with 15 games of SEL experience.

MS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:41 AM
Fregus
Modo Hockey

He's been the backup behind Markström this year, he's not as good as Markström but still, he's got some potential.
Give him some years and he could be a good backup / the starting goalie of a low conferance team.

Fregus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:00 AM
Pellegrino

What the ****. He was supposed to be our #1 goalie now when Markström heads to the NHL

Läck is not from Hedberg's town, he just played there for 3 years during his last years in school.

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 04:25 AM
Pellegrino

Official: Läck leaves Brynäs for Canucks. He has signed a 2 year deal with them.

http://www.brynas.se/Nyheter/Eddie-Lack-lamnar-Brynas/

Pellegrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 04:51 AM
adamzilla

Perhaps he will be one to make use of the new transfer agreement.

....if he can.

Last edited by adamzilla: 04-06-2010 at 05:08 AM.
adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
Mr. Canucklehead
Mod Supervisor
Kitimat Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pellegrino View Post
Official: Läck leaves Brynäs for Canucks. He has signed a 2 year deal with them.

http://www.brynas.se/Nyheter/Eddie-Lack-lamnar-Brynas/
So that means for sure he's coming to NA next year?

Plan A for the Moose, I guess, if the plan for Schneider is for him to back up Luongo.

Mr. Canucklehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
LeftCoast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Plan A for the Moose, I guess, if the plan for Schneider is for him to back up Luongo.
They signed him to a contract. There would be no reason to loan him back to his SEL team unless there was no place to play him in North America. They are going to want him to work with Ian Clark and their coaches and training staff.

Most NHL clubs don't choose to leave their European prospects in Europe. They will do so if they are yet to sign an NHL contract or if they are under contract to a Euro club team, but this is usually not the first choice. If you have a prospect, you want his development under your own control as much as possible.

LeftCoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Wayne Maki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Canucklehead View Post

Under the new transfer agreement he has the option to return to Sweden if he doesn't make the Canucks.

Obviously his plan isn't to make the Canucks, but if he is unhappy with the situation in Manitoba, or gets sent to the Salmon Kings he could head back to Sweden without consequences.

Last edited by Wayne Maki: 04-06-2010 at 11:32 AM.
Wayne Maki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:33 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoast View Post
They are going to want him to work with Ian Clark
"Look kid, you're standing up and squaring off with the shooters too much. The second the opposition crosses the blue line I want you to instantly fall to your knees. Thats how we do it these days, butterfly or die"

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:01 PM
Andy Dufresne

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Would disagree with this.

Lack is only 22 and was a backup in the SEL this year. He's being signed as a project and I'd be *shocked* if he's the #1 option in Manitoba when their season opens there in October.

This is a guy the club will hope to develop into a decent asset over several years, and right now I'd say he projects to be the AHL backup right now, all things being equal.

We'll still sign a more proven AHL guy to carry the load down there this season. There's no way we're handing that job to a guy with 15 games of SEL experience.
Does Machesney count as a more proven AHL guy? As several posters have pointed out Lack wasn't "just" a back-up SEL goalie- he was playing behind Markstrom. It isn't a huge knock on a guy to back up the best goalie in the world not in the NHL.

His situation reminds me a little bit of the Pekka Rinne story. Rinne was backing up Markstrom in Finland, he was also 22 when he came over, same size as Lack as well. Rinne was an immediate starter in the AHL but took a few years to make the NHL (I think). I don't know if Lack has that kind of talent but it wouldn't shock me if he has AHL starter talent.

Andy Dufresne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:33 PM
hackey
You're Not Bored...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
He's been Markström's backup, been pretty solid the past two years first in tier2 and now SEL.

Btw Lack as you will call him, means other than the English word lack, pissed in Swedish Eddie Pissed!
I bought a shelving system from Ikea ... named Lack

hackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:50 PM
illogic

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackey View Post
I bought a shelving system from Ikea ... named Lack
Shoot some pucks at it, see if it stops them.

illogic is offline   Reply With Quote