HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Elephant In The Room Thread (Canuck's Defense going into the 2010 NHL Playoffs)

Old
04-06-2010, 01:54 AM
Rob Zepp

vCash: 500
Ehrhoff is injured and may or may not be ready for first round. More than likely ready for second round.

Rob Zepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:56 AM
alternate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauser View Post
I'd probably rank our D as follows:

1. Christian Ehrhoff - The guy has been simply amazing all year. He's been excellent offensively, and everybit the PMD we've missed for quite some time. In his own zone he's adequate. Nothing special, but not a liability.

2. Willie Mitchell - A beast in his own zone. Sometimes has some brain cramps, but when you consider that he's out there against the top players from the opposition you can cut him some slack every now and then. Definitely a key part of our defense and our best defensive defenseman.

3. Sami Salo - Slowed down considerably, and no longer the offensive threat he once was. Still, his experience is valuable and I wouldn't consider him a liability out there. Somewhat overrated by the fans as he no longer should be considered a top d-man on this team.

4. Alex Edler - His erratic play in his own zone holds him back from being higher on this list, but his offensive game is nice. Great shot and has the ability to collect assists due to his puck moving ability. Once he improves his defensive coverage and foot speed he'll be potentially our best defenseman for years.

5. Kevin Bieksa - Having an all around bad year, but he still has a solid offensive game with his ability to get pucks through to the net. Provides the nastiness that our defense lacks. Erratic in his own zone more often than not, but plays better when he's pissed off. Hopefully he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed in the playoffs.

6. Shane O'Brien - Quietly improving his game significantly this year. I've been quite impressed with his defensive play as he hasn't been a liability on almost every night. He's getting smarter out there. Now if only he could keep himself in the lineup.

7. Aaron Rome - Another guy who has improved as the season went on and stepped it up when the team needed him the most after Willie went down. A solid option for a bottom pairing should we continue to have injuries.

8. Andrew Alberts - Big, lunky and slow. Gets beat way too easily, and a waste of a 3rd round pick and cap space.
other than your evaluation of Alberts, I'd agree with your rankings. AA still #8 but he's not that slow. does tend to back in too much and takes a bit to get going again once his feet stop moving, but his play has improved since he got to see some games from up top. his physicality is certainly a positive though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell_soup View Post
You'd rate O'Brien higher than Edler? SOB is good when he's not doing too much, but that's it. He can't be counted on to go against the opposition's top players or make plays to contribute to the offense, something Edler has been doing, even if he makes mistakes here and there.
he also rates 'Baumer higher than Bieksa, so....

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:54 AM
Agent007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Zepp View Post
Ehrhoff is injured and may or may not be ready for first round. More than likely ready for second round.
Is that speculation??

I mean we all know he's injured but are you just speculating that he's out until round 2??

Agent007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:12 AM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

Well, Im obviously hoping Mitchell return but its very unlikey. Salo, Ehrhoff and Edler are fine (Edler needs more practive but hes young and hes reliable).

As for Bieksa, I've always felt he has been an alright Defensemen, as of late thought.. Hes obviously been bad, but I am confident that this guy wills how up for the playoffs. When hes ready, on a roll and mad, hes a dominant D-man. So for the playoffs I think he'll step up. O'Brien, I think is for sure in the line-up, hes been better and he actually does good things, unlike before. Hes getting more and more consistent and if he gets into a good mojo, he should be unnoticable in the playoffs.

Rome has been playing well and hasn't been a big problem, but you have to think.. Is he going to be alright in the playoffs? Will he go back to giving me headaches? Im not completely sure, but come playoff time hes a sure fit. That leaves Alberts and Baumer... ****!!!

Baumer? I hate him, I really dont see anythign good from him.

Alberts? The only thing I like is that when he hits, he hits hard! But other than that.. I could care less who gets the last spot.

With Willie:

Willie - Salo
Ehrhoff - Edler
O'Brien - Bieksa

Thats not bad at all.

Without Willie:

Ehrhoff - Salo
Edler - O'Brien
Bieksa - Rome/Alberts/Baumer

Thats not looking good at all. But it doesnt look fatal. Ehrhoff, Salo, Bieksa and Edler on top of their game should be a good top 4. O'Brien playing well will probably go unnoticed which means happy fuss! And well, as I said before, Alberts sucks, Rome is playing well ATM and if he can cary it into the playoffs we might see minimal mistakes from him. Baumer, I beg of you, dont let him near the Canucks Dressing room.

Willie, Luko, Ohlund Schneider..

The Protein Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:14 AM
The Protein Shake*
I'm Hungry.

Oh and Ehrhoff will be ready to go for Round 1 Game 1, barring any freak accidents.

The Protein Shake* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:36 AM
SideRivals76*

Sadly Mitchell would've been such a huge presence and overall boost in the defensive pairings (Once again **** you Malkin! you dirty piece of ****!!)

Edler-Salo
Ehrhoff-Rome/SOB
Bieksa-SOB/Rome
Alberts

with Mitchell

Edler-Salo
Ehrhoff-Mitchell
Bieksa-SOB/Rome
Alberts

SideRivals76* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
It really comes down to Edler and Bieksa. When these two guys were ripping it up over portions of the past two seasons our defense was often heralded as 'one of the deepest in the league'. Outside of the Mitchell injury the major stumbling block for the back-end has been the regression of both Edler and Bieksa to the point they've both had trouble handing 20+ minutes a night and remaining reliable over what amounts to a seven game series. If both of these guys can step up in the playoffs and Ehrhoff and Salo continue at their current level we should be fine. Rome, O'Brien and Alberts are simply easy-minute fodder.

Bobby Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:32 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Lou View Post
It really comes down to Edler and Bieksa. When these two guys were ripping it up over portions of the past two seasons our defense was often heralded as 'one of the deepest in the league'. Outside of the Mitchell injury the major stumbling block for the back-end has been the regression of both Edler and Bieksa to the point they've both had trouble handing 20+ minutes a night and remaining reliable over what amounts to a seven game series. If both of these guys can step up in the playoffs and Ehrhoff and Salo continue at their current level we should be fine. Rome, O'Brien and Alberts are simply easy-minute fodder.
How do you people come up with these gems? Edler is playing the most of all our defenders this year. He was playing BY FAR the most on the road trip. Clearly AV disagrees with your definition of "had trouble handling".

For a while now it's been Edler and Salo out against other team's top forwards, not Ehrhoff. When Salo was -4 in that game against Kings, Edler was -1.

Did everyone get stuck in October/November or something?

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
LiveeviL
No unique points

vCash: 50
Send a message via ICQ to LiveeviL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
How do you people come up with these gems? Edler is playing the most of all our defenders this year. He was playing BY FAR the most on the road trip. Clearly AV disagrees with your definition of "had trouble handling".

LiveeviL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:37 PM
VanEric

Salo's play has dropped off lately but I'm hoping that's more of a case of an old guy who is pacing himself before the playoffs.

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 02:40 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:

For a while now it's been Edler and Salo out against other team's top forwards. When Salo was -4 in that game against Kings, Edler was -1.
Such a gem!

All I'm saying is we need him to progress further then he has this season if we want to have a chance at moving on in the playoffs. For example, he is going to have to work on his unparalleled ability to provide opposing teams break-aways from the blue line on the powerplay as well as work on being more difficult to play against down low. Ya, he's handled the minutes better then a guy like Bieksa, but if we want to make some noise in the post-season he just has to improve further after somewhat stalling development-wise this year after two years where his ceiling looked higher. It would be fine if Mitchell was around to take some of the pressure off, but Edler's basically our #2 defenseman right now, I don't think he's ready to handle it.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:44 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Such a gem!

All I'm saying is we need him to progress further then he has this season if we want to have a chance at moving on in the playoffs. For example, he is going to have to work on his unparalleled ability to provide opposing teams break-aways from the blue line on the powerplay as well as work on being more difficult to play against down low. Ya, he's handled the minutes better then a guy like Bieksa, but if we want to make some noise in the post-season he just has to improve further after somewhat stalling development-wise this year after two years where his ceiling looked higher.
How has his development stalled? Do you think Edler was playing a shutdown role against other top lines last season or the season before that? Do you think Edler was averaging 25 minutes last year down the stretch? Edler had a bad start to this year, but in 2010 he has turned his game up a notch and AV agrees — he has been rewarded with the most ice-time of all our defenders, he plays the heaviest minutes at ES and on PK.

I love how him bobbling the puck twice (resulting in a breakaway and goal) in fairly recent games is suddenly an ultimate judgement on his abilities. Let's just ignore all the other things he does well. Edler should be held in the same high regard as Ehrhoff is — it's not like Ehrhoff has been perfect, he makes a ton of mistakes too yet nobody seems to notice. Bieksa shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence as Edler — he doesn't see the same minutes or the same kind of opposition.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:47 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

Quote:
How has his development stalled? Do you think Edler was playing a shutdown role against other top lines last season or the season before that? Do you think Edler was averaging 25 minutes last year down the stretch? Edler had a bad start to this year, but in 2010 he has turned his game up a notch and AV agrees — he has been rewarded with the most ice-time of all our defenders, he plays the heaviest minutes at ES and on PK.
But he's still inconsistent and that's one of the reasons we've had trouble defensively over the course of year. I'm not saying it's entirely his fault; Bieksa has obviously regressed, Mitchell is out, and Salo's getting up there in age. I'm not bashing Edler, all I'm saying is if we have any hope this year both he and Bieksa have to elevate their games from the level they are playing at now (and no I'm not saying they're playing at the same level, just relatively).

I'm sure he'd look GREAT playing behind a top-pairing of Mitchell-Salo, but unfortunately Mitchell is MIA and it's showing Edler still has some issues to work out in his game before he can handle those type of minutes. Which is one of the reasons our defense is apparently the 'Elephant in the Room'.

Old
04-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
I'm sure he'd look GREAT playing behind a top-pairing of Mitchell-Salo, but unfortunately Mitchell is MIA and it's demonstrating Edler still has some issues to work out in his game before he can handle those type of minutes.
What issues? From the start of the road trip until now, Edler is +7 and has 13 points (26 games). In the same timespan, Salo is -2 (11 points) and Ehrhoff is +5 (15 points). But yeah, Edler clearly isn't performing well enough playing those tough minutes and being +7.

What exactly do you expect from him? To be Nick Lidstrom? Nobody seems to be talking about how Ehrhoff needs to step up and deserve a bigger chunk of ice-time... ?

Old
04-06-2010, 02:55 PM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
What issues? From the start of the road trip until now, Edler is +7 and has 13 points (26 games). In the same timespan, Salo is -2 (11 points) and Ehrhoff is +5 (15 points). But yeah, Edler clearly isn't performing well enough playing those tough minutes and being +7.
Agreed. I find that Edler has played much better as of late (compared to his play prior to the Olympics)

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:17 PM
struckmatch

The Province reporting Ehrhoff expected to be back for Game 1 of the opening round, and even AV saying that if it was a playoff game, he may even be able to play tonight.

Injured Ehrhoff should be back for playoffs, Johnson out 4-6 weeks with another broken foot

Quote:
The good news is Christian Ehrhoff is expected to recover from a left knee strain suffered Sunday in time to re-join the Northwest Division champions for the NHL playoffs next week.

"I don't foresee anything serious there," Vigneault said of Ehrhoff's prognosis. "If this was a playoff game, he might play tonight. It's not a big deal."

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote