HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Michal Rozsival appreciation thread (2013 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION)

Old
04-05-2010, 09:28 PM
The Thomas J.*

vCash: 500
Rozi is so tradeable this off season he is as good as gone this summer.

The Thomas J.* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:29 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Thomas J. View Post
Rozi is so tradeable this off season he is as good as gone this summer.
I wouldn't be too sure about this. Especially if the team wants to contend next season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Defensemen dont go down to block shots on the PK, they block them by putting their skates together, as you said. To do otherwise would be disastrous.

Cmon, this is simple stuff.

I dont follow the pretense that I know more than Renney or Tortorella at coaching a hockey team. And both of them seem to believe that when Rozy is on his game he is a first pairing defenseman on this team.

Rozy is better than Girardi
Rozy is better than Redden
Rozy is better than Gilroy
Rozy is better tham MDZ (In the defensive zone)
Rozy is better than Eriksson

Pick one, any of em would be better targets.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:41 PM
trilobyte

Sure, Rozy is better than everybody, except when he is not. And that was a fair bit of this season.

I don't understand why a $5 mil guy should not be expected to play a complete season, and play it consistently. I agree that Rozsival can play very well, but his faults are glaring and not to be ignored. Not at the contract he has.
His offense has pretty much completely disappeared.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:22 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
I won't disagree with the first point you made. He is "sound" at that aspect, and while not exceptional not many defensemen are. I would argue that is his best attribute.

Whoa there with the 2nd point. Rosival is easily pushed off the puck, if there is a stick battle on the boards he's usually not the one who frees it or gets it. He's good at jamming the puck with his skate until help arrives or if time needs expiring but that's the extent of it. To say that he's excellent at that is like saying Ryan Callahan's best asset is scoring goals. He does it well and on occasion but it's not something he does consistently.
the bolded could not be more wrong

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:53 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Rozsival has been better than ever with the A...but we've also faced a few teams looking to tank (I don't think Ballard even meant to score off that crossbar in FL).
To say he's been our best WHEN THERE WERE TIMES THAT THE GARDEN BOOED HIM EVERYTIME HE WENT NEAR THE PUCK (never happened to Staal, who IMO should probably be touted as our best instead of Rozsival)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
That's exactly what I'm telling you. Replace Rozy with Pronger on last season's team, and we still lose to the Caps. And we weren't up 3-0. Get your facts straight.
3-1*** Excuse me, facts straight, we were still up 3-1. IMO Having Pronger IN THE PLAYOFFS over would have made the difference and we should've won that series anyway...WITH Rozi.

Quote:
Redden has absolutely nothing to do with Rozsival. And no defense is going to stop the Caps forwards. You're trying to single out 6 players on a team, which is amatuer-hourish. It's a team game, and forwards play a dramatic role in defending. As does goaltending.
Aside from when they are on ice together, no-Redden has nothing to do with Rozsival....at the same time, a gunshot wound to the stomach from one guy has nothing to do with the gun shot wound to the head from another....but the victim of both shots will bleed to death twice as fast.
...and I feel neither the forwards or goalie are to blame for leving the backdoor open constantly, or letting SHed breakaways on our PP....

Quote:
Says the guy who questioning other people's hockey sense. Well played buddy. Well played.
Well read buddy. Well read.
I was being sarcastic and even cleared it up. Still so focused on being argumentative, you forgot to read.
(FOR EVERYONE) I'm not questioning ANYONE's hockey sense...no matter what side of the debate.
If anyone can understand, I took the guy who was backing me up and told him he had no hockey sense<<<SARCASM.

Quote:
The real issue with this team, isn't redden. Or rozsival. It's a combination of bad acquisitions Sather has made. Mistakes that have been compounded.
The two of them included. Nothing disagreed here.

Quote:
People here look at Rozsival's salary, and automatically assume he should have more points, hits, etc. There's only so much a player can do, on an inferior team that has numerous voids that have been overlooked season after season.
I don't care if he EVER gets a point. I want him to guard his net. If he does, I think he deserves every bit of $ he's contracted for....

Quote:
Don't get the wrong idea here. If I had the opportunity to move Rozsival, I wouldn't hesitate. But not because Rozsival sucks, or isn't necessarily a 5M defensemen. I just don't think this specific team is designed to fit his type of game. I see Rozy being a hell of a lot more successful if he played elsewhere. Same can be said about numerous players on our team. That's what I mean when I say Rozsival, or no Rozsival, we're still FUBAR.
OK, because surely you weren't out to say having Pronger or Rozsival were the same (which is what it sounded like to me)...now that it's cleared up, I still say with Pronger we finish Washington...but still lose next round to the Cup Champs to be

CHGoalie27 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:54 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

...and I decided not to be lazy, but now I just feel dumb because I can't find it.

NOW can you please post a list of he does right?

Old
04-06-2010, 09:00 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHGoalie27 View Post
...and I decided not to be lazy, but now I just feel dumb because I can't find it.

NOW can you please post a list of he does right?
both myself, and another poster have already done this

Old
04-06-2010, 11:20 AM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Oh! Then I have an answer for ya...maybe it isn't that we don't notice/understand/give credit...it's that we see certain things as routine, expected out of everybody. When ANYONE gives the appearance that they aren't covering their basics, we will speak of it. This thread started because thousands feel that Michal Rozsival just ain't doin it...and someone felt bad.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:34 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Oh! Then I have an answer for ya...maybe it isn't that we don't notice/understand/give credit...it's that we see certain things as routine, expected out of everybody. When ANYONE gives the appearance that they aren't covering their basics, we will speak of it. This thread started because thousands feel that Michal Rozsival just ain't doin it...and someone felt bad.
hence the problem...your, and many others, inabilty to ackowledge solid defensive performances as good hockey plays

defensive play is their job, i understand that, but assists and goals are the fowards job and we have no problem giving credit for their "routine" work

but for defensmen, doing their job is not enough

defensemen seem to be judged purely on the few moments when the ignorant fan base notices a mistake, rather than the amount of good plays they make

Rozsival can be in the middle of a VERY solid defensive game but fire one pass a little behind callahan and be booed the next time he touches the puck...**** like that happens all the time and its infuriating

or rather than pass the puck smoothly to the point, dubinsky will flip the puck two feet in the air passed rosi on the point...who gets boo'd? you bet your ass it aint dubi

Old
04-06-2010, 12:05 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
STOP...WITH...LISIN....
THIS...IS...LISIN!!!!!

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:08 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
THIS...IS...LISIN!!!!!

I smell a photoshop. Im surprised no one has done it with Torts yet.

For the on topic section of this post, Rozy will need to stay around next year. I doubt we'd be able to find a suitable replacement for cheaper in UFA. Redden however could easily be replaced by Sauer.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Redden however could easily be replaced by Sauer.
Redden could be replaced by Malik...

Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:

For the on topic section of this post, Rozy will need to stay around next year. I doubt we'd be able to find a suitable replacement for cheaper in UFA. Redden however could easily be replaced by Sauer.
Mike Komisarek went for 5 million last year. I think its pretty safe to say that there will be a cheaper or at least a same priced *better* player than rosival. Volchenkov could conceivably also go for around 4.5-5 mill.

Rust Heisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:

Sauer isn't even counted on to replace Gilroy but next year he can play top four minutes? What is it with you and Sauer? If he was going to make it this year was his chance. Torts took a look and didn't like what he saw. I think some posters were saying his skating isn't good enough for Torts.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:13 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Sauer isn't even counted on to replace Gilroy but next year he can play top four minutes? What is it with you and Sauer? If he was going to make it this year was his chance. Torts took a look and didn't like what he saw. I think some posters were saying his skating isn't good enough for Torts.
i was real big on sauer last offseason...then i saw him in preseason

with his injury history and the very little bit i've seen him play, im not convinced he can play in the NHL

Old
04-06-2010, 02:33 PM
CHGoalie27
GWAAARRRRRRR

Quote:
Originally Posted by mullichicken25 View Post
hence the problem...your, and many others, inabilty to ackowledge solid defensive performances as good hockey plays
YOU'RE**(you-are) coming off as a moron and a jackass whenever you speak on how everyone (except those that agree with you) are incapable of thought. I acknowledge good defenseive performances when they are deserved, not when YOUR*(possessive this time) stupid ass tells me to.

Quote:
defensive play is their job, i understand that, but assists and goals are the fowards job and we have no problem giving credit for their "routine" work
Uhhh last I checked we were all just as hard on Kotalik for his shortcomings.

Quote:
but for defensmen, doing their job is not enough
I guess, ask anyone who's ever heard of the New Jersey Devils if that holds water.

Quote:
defensemen seem to be judged purely on the few moments when the ignorant fan base notices a mistake, rather than the amount of good plays they make
If a STUPID STUPID STUPID play resulting in a goal happens, I'm ignorant for noticing.
I'm even more ignorant for not being like "Sure he f-ed the game, but he made a couple good passes, stood a couple up, fought along the boards at times...he was GREAT"

Quote:
Rozsival can be in the middle of a VERY solid defensive game but fire one pass a little behind callahan and be booed the next time he touches the puck...**** like that happens all the time and its infuriating
If that pass meant the game...if not then any Rozi basher lets it go because they are sick of being sick of him.

Quote:
or rather than pass the puck smoothly to the point, dubinsky will flip the puck two feet in the air passed rosi on the point...who gets boo'd? you bet your ass it aint dubi
...yep, THAT"S why we boo him! How stupid you know we are.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:21 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
YOU'RE**(you-are) coming off as a moron and a jackass whenever you speak on how everyone (except those that agree with you) are incapable of thought. I acknowledge good defenseive performances when they are deserved, not when YOUR*(possessive this time) stupid ass tells me to.
absolutely, im certianlly the jackass here... and was that a shot at my grammar? did I even make a mistake? and if i did, and thats the route you'd like to take, then run with it big guy

anyway, you've made some pretty asinine comments throughout this thread that give the impression that you do not ackowledge good defensive performances when they are deserved

Quote:
Uhhh last I checked we were all just as hard on Kotalik for his shortcomings.
as was I, he was brutal...i never said that people generally have a problem judgeing forwards, or noticing mistakes made by any player...im saying the general problem is people not apreciating or acknowledging GOOD plays by defensmen

Quote:
I guess, ask anyone who's ever heard of the New Jersey Devils if that holds water.
not really sure what your trying to say here, but i was talking about how in the eyes rangers fans, one of their defensman quietly and effectively executing his primary job is rarely, if ever, enough to gain their approval

Quote:
If a STUPID STUPID STUPID play resulting in a goal happens, I'm ignorant for noticing.
I'm even more ignorant for not being like "Sure he f-ed the game, but he made a couple good passes, stood a couple up, fought along the boards at times...he was GREAT"
you absolutely should notice, those are not the plays im talking about...if a player makes a, "STUPID STUPID STUPID play resulting in a goal" then you are completely justified in being mad about it...that goes for all players, including the oft-untouchable goalie

but the problem is when people like you refuse to acknowledge good plays and good games where those types of mistakes aren't made

for instance....Rosi could play lights out for 10 games straight, but be the closest defender to the guy who gets the game winning goal against and be crucified on the boards...meanwhile, i'd have a hard time believing that if Prospal was coming off a 5 game goal scoring streak, and blew coverage on a backcheck that directly resulted in the game winning goal against, he'd get the same treatment

Quote:
If that pass meant the game...if not then any Rozi basher lets it go because they are sick of being sick of him.

Quote:
...yep, THAT"S why we boo him! How stupid you know we are.
whatever chief...i've seen both of those events happen... slight mistakes in the middle of a fantasic game that didn't cost the team anything, resulting in Rosi getting boo'd

im not saying that all criticsm is undeserved by any means....im just saying its painfully obvious that fans around here don't watch/judge defensemen the same as forwards

Old
04-06-2010, 03:39 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
absolutely, im certianlly the jackass here... and was that a shot at my grammar? did I even make a mistake? and if i did, and thats the route you'd like to take, then run with it big guy

anyway, you've made some pretty asinine comments throughout this thread that give the impression that you do not ackowledge good defensive performances when they are deserved

as was I, he was brutal...i never said that people generally have a problem judgeing forwards, or noticing mistakes made by any player...im saying the general problem is people not apreciating or acknowledging GOOD plays by defensmen

not really sure what your trying to say here, but i was talking about how in the eyes rangers fans, one of their defensman quietly and effectively executing his primary job is rarely, if ever, enough to gain their approval

you absolutely should notice, those are not the plays im talking about...if a player makes a, "STUPID STUPID STUPID play resulting in a goal" then you are completely justified in being mad about it...that goes for all players, including the oft-untouchable goalie

but the problem is when people like you refuse to acknowledge good plays and good games where those types of mistakes aren't made

for instance....Rosi could play lights out for 10 games straight, but be the closest defender to the guy who gets the game winning goal against and be crucified on the boards...meanwhile, i'd have a hard time believing that if Prospal was coming off a 5 game goal scoring streak, and blew coverage on a backcheck that directly resulted in the game winning goal against, he'd get the same treatment

whatever chief...i've seen both of those events happen... slight mistakes in the middle of a fantasic game that didn't cost the team anything, resulting in Rosi getting boo'd

im not saying that all criticsm is undeserved by any means....im just saying its painfully obvious that fans around here don't watch/judge defensemen the same as forwards
No fans watch both positions equally. Gomez, Drury, and Naslund all got booed last season as well. Straka and Nylander were booed themselves at points when they were with the Rangers. Voros and Brashear have gotten booed as well. What do all of those players have in common with Rosival and Redden? They are all underachievers. Rosival is never consistent. As i've said if he has a good streak of games then be prepared for an even longer streak of terrible playing. That is why the fans boo him constantly.

Let me get this straight... You are saying that the majority of Rangers fans (the fact is the majority of rangers fans do boo rosival) are all incorrect, ignorant and stupid while you and your 3 other amigo's here are all correct? Are you claiming that you know more than roughly 100,000 fans? Please. Don't make me laugh.

Old
04-06-2010, 03:48 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
No fans watch both positions equally. Gomez, Drury, and Naslund all got booed last season as well. Straka and Nylander were booed themselves at points when they were with the Rangers. Voros and Brashear have gotten booed as well. What do all of those players have in common with Rosival and Redden? They are all underachievers. Rosival is never consistent. As i've said if he has a good streak of games then be prepared for an even longer streak of terrible playing. That is why the fans boo him constantly.
i know others have been boo'd, i never said otherwise...im saying the boo's are handed out much more generouslly to our blue line while the pats on the back are significantly harder to obtain

Quote:

... You are saying that the majority of Rangers fans (the fact is the majority of rangers fans do boo rosival) are all incorrect, ignorant and stupid while you and your 3 other amigo's here are all correct?...
yup...pretty much

keep in mind that plenty of people on your side of the fence think Sean Avery is the best hockey player on the team, and the rangers were going to be screwed when they let Ortmeyer go

Old
04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
i know others have been boo'd, i never said otherwise...im saying the boo's are handed out much more generouslly to our blue line while the pats on the back are significantly harder to obtain

yup...pretty much

keep in mind that plenty of people on your side of the fence think Sean Avery is the best hockey player on the team, and the rangers were going to be screwed when they let Ortmeyer go
wow. that's arrogance.

i wouldn't say that even more than 1/50 of the fans that boo rosival consider avery the best player on the team. He however is the most energetic player on the team.

And Ortmeyer? Of course, people were mad when he was gone, but in the end he was a 3rd line player, and most of all he was a comeback/feel good story that all fans appreciated and respected. People weren't mad because it meant that the Rangers would be screwed. People were angry because the rangers didnt so much as give him the respect that he deserved.

Stop giving me hasty generalizations that you're making up as you're going. The fact IS Rosival and Redden are the most booed players on this team. It isnt a coincidence, it isnt because of a lack of hockey knowledge from the fans, it isnt because of a lack of observation from the fans, it isnt because of a lack of credit given to ranger defensemen from the fans, it is because both are not worth anything close to their salaries as both are huge underachievers. Neither gives any extra effort on any given play in any given game. Neither excels in any part of their game. Neither player sticks up for their team mates, takes team mates under their wing, or even tries their hardest to help the team out. Forget about the last month and a half of positive play from rosival... where was he all of last season? His play was disgraceful. After watching him and Redden for the entirety of a season i felt embarrassed that the Rangers defense had become what it was. I'm sure there are a lot more passionate fans, who have watched a hell of a lot more games than you peewee, who have committed a lot more emotion into this team than you, that have noticed Rosivals terrible play and justifiably booed.

I'm still kind of stunned that you actually believe that what you say is superior to the majority of Ranger fans. Forget about people on this thread, i'm talking about fans who don't even come to this board. That's tens of thousands!

Old
04-06-2010, 04:13 PM
mullichicken25

Quote:
wow. that's arrogance.

i wouldn't say that even more than 1/50 of the fans that boo rosival consider avery the best player on the team. He however is the most energetic player on the team.

And Ortmeyer? Of course, people were mad when he was gone, but in the end he was a 3rd line player, and most of all he was a comeback/feel good story that all fans appreciated and respected. People weren't mad because it meant that the Rangers would be screwed. People were angry because the rangers didnt so much as give him the respect that he deserved.

Stop giving me hasty generalizations that you're making up as you're going. The fact IS Rosival and Redden are the most booed players on this team. It isnt a coincidence, it isnt because of a lack of hockey knowledge from the fans, it isnt because of a lack of observation from the fans, it isnt because of a lack of credit given to ranger defensemen from the fans, it is because both are not worth anything close to their salaries as both are huge underachievers. Neither gives any extra effort on any given play in any given game. Neither excels in any part of their game. Neither player sticks up for their team mates, takes team mates under their wing, or even tries their hardest to help the team out. Forget about the last month and a half of positive play from rosival... where was he all of last season? His play was disgraceful. After watching him and Redden for the entirety of a season i felt embarrassed that the Rangers defense had become what it was. I'm sure there are a lot more passionate fans, who have watched a hell of a lot more games than you peewee, who have committed a lot more emotion into this team than you, that have noticed Rosivals terrible play and justifiably booed.

I'm still kind of stunned that you actually believe that what you say is superior to the majority of Ranger fans. Forget about people on this thread, i'm talking about fans who don't even come to this board. That's tens of thousands!
wow...lighten up big guy

i thought it'd be obvious that was said toung-in-cheek

but nonetheless im done with this...i started to respong in depth to that giant, mostly false, middle paragraph but realized i'd just be saying the same things again as you've decided not to actually consider anything i, or other posters, have pointed out

go on thinking that Rozsival contributes nothing to this team, and i'll go on thinking you're letting your bias get in the way of seeing his many contributions

perhaps a few people will have read thread and decided to actually take a closer look at defensmen, but probablly not

Old
04-06-2010, 04:20 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
wow. that's arrogance.

Wonder how those tens of thousand fans felt when Tom Poti send us packing at the end of last season.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 04:25 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Drury is booed more than Rozsival nowadays. However booing Rozy during the jersey retirement ceremony last year was disgraceful and made me feel embarrassed to be a ranger fan. Thats only happened twice in my life.

Old
04-06-2010, 04:28 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
Wonder how those tens of thousand fans felt when Tom Poti send us packing at the end of last season.
tom poti was the same type of player as rosival when he was with the rangers, he was a little more physical but he made a lot more mental mistakes... with washington, over time, he has strengthened his defense. i havent watched him all that much besides when the capitals play the rangers but it does seem like he has gotten better. that or he likes to play extra hard against his former team.