HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

How deep is the MLBPA in all of this?

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 03:25 PM
hulkrogan

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhawk24bob
ok, keep blaming the nhlpa for the fact that one of your worthless canadian teams cant afford its payroll
The Flames made a large profit last season. Your team lost a sh*tload of cash.

Go read for a while before you waste anyone elses time with your false B.S.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:29 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
I have heard it suggested everywhere from on TSN to FAN960 here in Calgary to a certain un-named blogger suggesting that the Major League Baseball Players Association is heavily involoved in all this from the NHLPA side. If the NHLPA accepts a cap then MLB will be the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort, just a joke of a luxury tax.

I think they have been in contact and MAY have something to do with the NHLPA's stupidity and stubborness in this matter. What do you all think?
"a certain un-named blogger..."

Another splendid, credible source!

And now that you have accounted for the "stupidity and stubborness" of the NHLPA in this case, how about determining the cause of the same affliction among some fans?

Ah, nevermind. Another certain unnamed blogger is now reporting that Bettman is working in tandem with Osama Bin Laden. Discuss!

Last edited by Trottier: 02-14-2005 at 03:34 PM.
Old
02-14-2005, 03:33 PM
Jaded-Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trottier
"a certain un-named blogger..."

Have we lowered our standards on credible sources this low? What is the difference between that "suggestion" and pure fiction/speculation?

And now that you have accounted for the "stupidity and stubborness" of the NHLPA in this case, how about determining the cause of the same affliction among some fans?

Ah, nevermind. Another certain unnamed blogger is now reporting that Bettman is working in tandem with Osama Bin Laden. Discuss!

Look past your critique and answer whether it makes sense, confirmable beyond those linked rumors that I provided or not, that Fehr, of whom Goodenhow is a close friend and virtual understudy, has his hands in this cookie jar out of self-interest and that relationship with Goodenhow? Is the rest of the rumors that I linked that hard to believe? I would actually be surprised if the things in those rumors were not true.

Old
02-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Trottier
Very Random

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded-Fan
Look past your critique and answer whether it makes sense, confirmable beyond those linked rumors that I provided or not, that Fehr, of whom Goodenhow is a close friend and virtual understudy, has his hands in this cookie jar out of self-interest and that relationship with Goodenhow? Is the rest of the rumors that I linked that hard to believe? I would actually be surprised if the things in those rumors were not true.
Guilty until proven innocent! The cynical mindset of modern society.

See John Flyer's Fan's post on the difference between rooting for an outcome and being involved in negotiations. I need not add anything further.

I mean, Paul Tagliabue is a business acquaintance of Gary Bettman's. Paul Tagliabue recently was singing the praises of a hardcap. Paul Tagliabue doesn't want the NFLPA to wise up to the draconian restrictions its current CBA places on them, so he has a motive for the NHL owners to "win". Hand in the cookie jar?

We're grasping at straws now.

Last edited by Trottier: 02-14-2005 at 03:42 PM.
Old
02-14-2005, 03:39 PM
bhawk24bob

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan
The Flames made a large profit last season. Your team lost a sh*tload of cash.

Go read for a while before you waste anyone elses time with your false B.S.
please, i'm not doubting calgary made money, it would be pretty hard not to if you go to the finals, but for the last frickin' time, the hawks did not lose money last year. the levitt report does not include parking, concessions, or sky boxes for the hawks. but...you probably dont want to see that, do you? you would rather go on and on about how the players are wrong, the owners are right, and you're not ready to think otherwise.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:08 PM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
I have heard it suggested everywhere from on TSN to FAN960 here in Calgary to a certain un-named blogger suggesting that the Major League Baseball Players Association is heavily involoved in all this from the NHLPA side. If the NHLPA accepts a cap then MLB will be the last of the major sporting leagues in NA to not have a salary cap of some sort, just a joke of a luxury tax.

I think they have been in contact and MAY have something to do with the NHLPA's stupidity and stubborness in this matter. What do you all think?
Very interesting point and question. I would bet they have had some contact with the NHLPA. MLBPA does not want the NHL to have a cap but it will not have that much of an impact. I am friends with a couple of MLB players and it is not much of a topic from what they told me. That is just a small scope however.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:12 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Quote:
please, i'm not doubting calgary made money, it would be pretty hard not to if you go to the finals, but for the last frickin' time, the hawks did not lose money last year. the levitt report does not include parking, concessions, or sky boxes for the hawks. but...you probably dont want to see that, do you? you would rather go on and on about how the players are wrong, the owners are right, and you're not ready to think otherwise.

Most people are in agreement that the owners revenues aren't properly reported, but since the NHL offered to have two independant agencies in charge of verifying revenue reports and stiff penalties for irregularities, your point is moot.

Old
02-14-2005, 04:16 PM
hulkrogan

Quote:
So if the Levitt report was wrong, why didn't the PA conduct their own? Or consult with Arthur Levitt himself was offered?

The bottom line, is the nature of business is an employer offers a position, and a salary. If the employee thinks they can do better somewhere else, they go somewhere else. The NHLPA doesn't understand this. They think they should work the system to squeeze out every penny (which is understandable). Now the owners are saying they won't pay that much anymore. The PA now cries and whines about how unfair it is and sits out. You know what though? There is no other job waiting with more money for them, they are screwed. Good for the owners for finally taking the responsibility to run their business properly.

Old
02-14-2005, 05:34 PM
Donnie D

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb
Very interesting point and question. I would bet they have had some contact with the NHLPA.
I would bet that all of the sports unions talk to each other from time to time. They are unique and have similar issues. I would go so far as to say that the NHLPA has talked to their counterparts with the NFL and NBA to talk about salary caps. They would be irresponsible if they didn't.

Old
02-14-2005, 08:15 PM
ryz

Quote:
Are you really that much of a tool, or are you just comming across as one in this thread?

Old
02-14-2005, 08:35 PM
kerrly

Send a message via MSN to kerrly
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryz
Are you really that much of a tool, or are you just comming across as one in this thread?
Unfortunately he is this way all the time. He said in the past the Chicago is more important to the league that any Canadian team. He's been spewing garbage this for a long time.

Old
02-14-2005, 08:50 PM
Chayos

Quote:
let's just keep digging to find somebody else to blame this on rather than looking at the real problem- calgary, edmonton, nashville, hotlanta, etc. can't support an nhl franchise.
How do Edmonton and Calgary fit into that group? Both teams have high attendance with all their potential revenue streams being tapped. I am 100% sure there are a lot of other teams that can't say the same thing.

There was an articel in the NY post business section on the weekend that stated the rangers lost $34 million dollars, so i guess they can't support hockey as well right?

Old
02-15-2005, 04:18 AM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybynite77
Baseball could never institute a cap because the Yankees would immediately be $100million over
try 150

Closed Thread