Notices

2010 Offseason

Old
04-06-2010, 08:12 PM
mnwildgophers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT2002 View Post
Let me make this known now, just so we all are on the same page. I do care about our future players, don't get it twisted but....

I COULD CARE LESS ABOUT WHAT HOUSTON DOES

there I feel better now
I agree, I think it's cool if they can win because you don't want them to get that losing mentality. I don't give a crap about if they win or lose, but I wish I could watch them some more to see how our guys are doing, numbers can't really tell the whole story.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:17 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I agree, I think it's cool if they can win because you don't want them to get that losing mentality. I don't give a crap about if they win or lose, but I wish I could watch them some more to see how our guys are doing, numbers can't really tell the whole story.
Team is too regionally separated from the host team. It honestly should be in Duluth or something....**** at this point, I think Bloomington could support it lol

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:21 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Team is too regionally separated from the host team. It honestly should be in Duluth or something....**** at this point, I think Bloomington could support it lol
Yeah, that or Rochester could be a possible location. And I mean Rochester, MN. My friend suggested that.

I'd consider it if it was Duluth, at least it's only 2.5 hours up north to go see 'em play or watch them or whatever.

Old
04-06-2010, 08:26 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Yeah, that or Rochester could be a possible location. And I mean Rochester, MN. My friend suggested that.

I'd consider it if it was Duluth, at least it's only 2.5 hours up north to go see 'em play or watch them or whatever.
Need more face time, I concur good sir

Old
04-06-2010, 08:28 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Need more face time, I concur good sir
I like the monocle.

What's your dream pick at #7?

Old
04-06-2010, 08:36 PM
djp4516

I was watching the Toronto/Philly intermission report and they were talking about how Burke may try to swing some sort of deal for Mikko Koivu in the offseason.. the analysts were talking about how Fletcher might want to start a full rebuild and trading Koivu might be an option.

I know, it's crazy, but seriously, would you ever entertain trading Koivu?

djp4516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:37 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
I like the monocle.

What's your dream pick at #7?
My carboard has better smilies than this place so I use em here

Nino of course

Old
04-06-2010, 08:40 PM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by djp4516 View Post
I was watching the Toronto/Philly intermission report and they were talking about how Burke may try to swing some sort of deal for Mikko Koivu in the offseason.. the analysts were talking about how Fletcher might want to start a full rebuild and trading Koivu might be an option.

If that happens, I will go into a fit of rage the likes in which no one has ever seen before. I am talking multiple babies punched with cute little puppes being kicked off of bridges and old ladies pushed into traffic.

someone better think of the babies, puppies, and old ladies if they even entertain this idea:

Old
04-06-2010, 08:41 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

What does Burke have to trade us?

I just don't think that he would be able to give us enough to trade Koivu away.

Old
04-06-2010, 09:47 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

Short answer: no

Longer answer: **** no

Even longer answer: mother****ing, no way in hell, Chuck Fletcher eat ****, Wild who?, noooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:52 PM
mnwildgophers

Seriously, what do the Leafs have that we would even consider trading Koivu for? Kessel?

Old
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Seriously, what do the Leafs have that we would even consider trading Koivu for? Kessel?
They have no 1st rounder this year or next. What exactly would we be rebuilding with?

Answer: whoever was in that intermission is COMPLETELY off base and out of touch with reality

Old
04-06-2010, 10:14 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
They have no 1st rounder this year or next. What exactly would we be rebuilding with?

Answer: whoever was in that intermission is COMPLETELY off base and out of touch with reality
I agree with that statement, why would we consider going into full rebuild mode? I'd think that this the worst idea that could happen. You look at how bad Phoenix and Colorado were last year, anything can happen next year.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:

This is what was said:
Quote:
Burke may try...hell Fletcher may try to get to pry Crosby away from the Penguins (he did earn a Stanley Cup ring with the organization) but that doesn't mean it is going to happen. I seriously wish the Leafs luck in coming up with an offer for Koivu, and with that I look forward to see five "Kaberle for Koivu and Clutterbuck" threads on the trade forum.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:40 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

This is what I was mostly responding to

Old
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
mnwildgophers

Lol Kaberle for Koivu I wouldn't even do straight up, let alone throwing in Clutter. I think they've been overvaluing Kaberle for how man years now?

And I know what you were trying to say, I just think it's crazy they would say that we might go to full rebuild lol

Old
04-07-2010, 12:06 AM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Versteeg is an amazing PK forward and that is something we are lacking is depth on two lines to do it. He wouldn't touch the PP though that is for sure.

As Gopher has stated before, if Leddy turns into a Keith or Green, then we screwed the pooch. If he turns into a Thelen, then we actually made out like a bandit on the trade. Johnnson was a great asset for this team with getting it up the ice and keeping pressure by pinching, but that contract was horrid, and I don't think he was going to take a paycut anyways. We get younger and Barker can play Top 4 minutes. If not, we make the moves and get someone who can.
Versteeg now hardly plays on the PK, let alone be a great penalty killer. He would be far more useful on the PP. He's an offensive player. Anyway it doesn't change the fact that he's maddeningly inconsistent. We don't need a 2nd-liner like Versteeg to turn us around. We need a Kane, Toews, or Keith. No, on second thought, we need all three of them.

Leddy doesn't need to turn into anything at this point. It's still a failed trade if Barker doesn't improve. For Chicago to get rid of Barker and his contract and gain Johnsson for the playoffs is all they need to win this trade, if Barker stays this way. When have you seen a 24 year-old player suddenly learn how to skate? He's a pylon out there.

Quote:
Cold day in Hell . . .

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
BigT2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
Versteeg now hardly plays on the PK, let alone be a great penalty killer. He would be far more useful on the PP. He's an offensive player. Anyway it doesn't change the fact that he's maddeningly inconsistent. We don't need a 2nd-liner like Versteeg to turn us around. We need a Kane, Toews, or Keith. No, on second thought, we need all three of them.

Leddy doesn't need to turn into anything at this point. It's still a failed trade if Barker doesn't improve. For Chicago to get rid of Barker and his contract and gain Johnsson for the playoffs is all they need to win this trade, if Barker stays this way. When have you seen a 24 year-old player suddenly learn how to skate? He's a pylon out there.

Cold day in Hell . . .
I know its only one game, but Versteeg did just have a 1SHG, 3A, and a +3 rating last night against STL while the rest of his team pretty much screwed the pooch. Sharp also was playing fantastic. From what I saw with the game, both were playing great hockey.

I know we are going into a Blackhawks 2.0 type thing, but that just means great chemistry is already there. Hell, Zanon and Zidlicky used to play on the same line in Nashville.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:55 AM
nickschultzfan

If Bouchard doesn't come back next year, that gives us a lot of flexibility.

Step 1: Trade Harding + Sheppard + 2nd rounder to Chicago for Sharp
Step 2: Sign O. Jokinen for around 3.5m.
Step 3: Keep the 4th line, #6 & 7 Dmen, and back-up goalie cheap. That probably means losing Boogy and bringing up Kassian.

That adds two shooters to a line-up that needs them. Plus, adds a center. Next year, the lines could look like:

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Kobasew-Jokinen-Miettinen
Lats-Brodz-Havlat
Kassian-Ebbett-Clutterbuck

Burns-Barker
Zidlicky-Zannon
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau/Prosser/whoever

Backstrom
Back-up goalie

We could easily get that kind of roster under the cap, with room to spare. Jokinen and Miettinen would be good together, since Miettinen hates shooting. Kobasew could just wack in garbage goals and get the puck out of the corners. Lats-Brodz-Havlat had good chemistry, and can be used as a checking line.

If Wellman works out in the AHL, bring him up, bump Ebbett out. Then, put him on the 4th line, and give him some shifts with Lats and Havlat.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:01 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
If Bouchard doesn't come back next year, that gives us a lot of flexibility.

Step 1: Trade Harding + Sheppard + 2nd rounder to Chicago for Sharp
Step 2: Sign O. Jokinen for around 3.5m.
Step 3: Keep the 4th line, #6 & 7 Dmen, and back-up goalie cheap. That probably means losing Boogy and bringing up Kassian.

That adds two shooters to a line-up that needs them. Plus, adds a center. Next year, the lines could look like:

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Kobasew-Jokinen-Miettinen
Lats-Brodz-Havlat
Kassian-Ebbett-Clutterbuck

Burns-Barker
Zidlicky-Zannon
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau/Prosser/whoever

Backstrom
Back-up goalie

We could easily get that kind of roster under the cap, with room to spare. Jokinen and Miettinen would be good together, since Miettinen hates shooting. Kobasew could just wack in garbage goals and get the puck out of the corners. Lats-Brodz-Havlat had good chemistry, and can be used as a checking line.

If Wellman works out in the AHL, bring him up, bump Ebbett out. Then, put him on the 4th line, and give him some shifts with Lats and Havlat.
Step 1 would never happen. They don't have any use for Harding and I doubt they would have any interest in Sheppard

Old
04-08-2010, 12:11 PM
mnwildgophers

They won't take that for Sharp, but I think you should slot Jokinen in between Latendresse and Havlat. I wouldn't mind seeing a Jokinen signing as long as we get him for about 3.5-4 mil.

Harding will most likely go to Philly if anywhere, but I doubt they want to take another chance on a goalie that's coming off an injury.

Old
04-08-2010, 12:48 PM
nickschultzfan

Quote:
Step 1 would never happen. They don't have any use for Harding and I doubt they would have any interest in Sheppard
It would give Chicago the option to bury Huet in Rockford.

And just so everybody is on the same page, Chicago is already ~750,000 over the cap, with only 9 forwards, 4 Dman, and 1 goalie. Even if they managed to dump Huet's contract, and replace him with a cheaper goalie (like Harding), they are still have to dump one of Sharp, Versteeg, and Buf.

That deal would kill two birds with one stone. Giving them a goalie, so they can dump Huet, and relieving them of one of the guys they are going to have to get rid of anyways. Sheppard would give them a cheap checking line center to replace Madden. They aren't going to get that kind of deal for Versteeg or Buf.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:00 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

And just so everybody is on the same page, Chicago is already ~750,000 over the cap, with only 9 forwards, 4 Dman, and 1 goalie. Even if they managed to dump Huet's contract, and replace him with a cheaper goalie (like Harding), they are still have to dump one of Sharp, Versteeg, and Buf.

That deal would kill two birds with one stone. Giving them a goalie, so they can dump Huet, and relieving them of one of the guys they are going to have to get rid of anyways. Sheppard would give them a cheap checking line center to replace Madden. They aren't going to get that kind of deal for Versteeg or Buf.
Harding would be a side-step for them (and a more expensive one) than what they already have in Niemi, which doesn't make sense for a team with salary cap issues

Saying Sheppard would replace Madden as a checking center is borderline blasphemy (although cheaper is correct)

IMO, Min and Chi make bad trading partners. We don't have anything they want and we don't have the room to just absorb a bad contract. If anything, a third team is going to need to be involved, which doesn't happen very often

It is, however, gonna be very interesting to see how they work their situation out, who gets dumped and the value they receive back

Old
04-08-2010, 01:09 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:

I think that they would rather have Niemi be their #1 with Crawford backing him up rather than Harding. Madden is far above Sheppard in a checking role because of his ability to not fall over.

I think that they are going to have to dump players, but they won't be willing to give them away for nothing. I'm sure they will be able to get some good prospects out of their deals, not just Harding+Shep.

Quote:
Harding would be a side-step for them (and a more expensive one) than what they already have in Niemi, which doesn't make sense for a team with salary cap issues

Saying Sheppard would replace Madden as a checking center is borderline blasphemy (although cheaper is correct)

IMO, Min and Chi make bad trading partners. We don't have anything they want and we don't have the room to just absorb a bad contract. If anything, a third team is going to need to be involved, which doesn't happen very often

It is, however, gonna be very interesting to see how they work their situation out, who gets dumped and the value they receive back
I agree with this statement very much. The Barker deal was interesting since most fans seemed to think they would have to attach a pick to give away Barker, yet we ended up adding our first round selection last year in Leddy. This was because we have a jam of Defensive prospects, but also, Chicago is going to be able to find some nice prospects for their players even though they have a serious cap problem.

I doubt that we will be able to throw together a package attractive enough to pry Sharp away from them since I think other teams would be willing to give up far better assets than we can.

Old
04-08-2010, 05:08 PM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Quote:
Kadri or Schenn or both could be starting points.

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote