HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Toby Petersen signs extension (2Y, $1.55M)

Old
04-05-2010, 03:48 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 500
Toby Petersen signs extension (2Y, $1.55M)

Quote:
Frisco, Tex. - Dallas Stars General Manager Joe Nieuwendyk announced today that the hockey club has signed center Toby Petersen to a two-year contract extension worth $1.55 million ($750,000 first year, $800,000 second year). This extension puts Petersen under contract through the 2011-12 season.

"Toby Petersen's character and work ethic are the type of attributes we want in our players," said Nieuwendyk. "He is a very versatile forward that can play throughout your lineup. He is a good example of the type of professional we want on the Dallas Stars hockey club."
http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...extension.html

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Chad_

No problem there. His versatility is nice to have.

Chad_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:00 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Petersen signs 2-year extention

Two years, $1.55 million.

http://starsblog.dallasnews.com/arch...extension.html

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:12 PM
piqued

vCash: 3722
2 years? I don't like it.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Alistar

ehh, Peterson hasn't been completly worthless but I didn't expect him to be retained. I think Dallas would have been better off giving a couple guys in the AHL a shot next season.

Alistar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:19 PM
Dallasman

Meh. As a fourth liner he does what he needs to do and he knows it.

Not a problem on my end.

Dallasman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
And I find absolutely nothing wrong with this.

If it has a two-way, even better. But likely not.

Frozen Failure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 04:58 PM
Starsdude

Rather have given gagnon a shot or looked around. Not really an effective center small cannot check this team needs to upgrade the 4th line not keep the same-2 years is silly. Newy continues to seem to think status quo is okay

Starsdude is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 05:09 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

I have no problems with it.

Not like its Barch or something.

Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:22 PM
piqued

11th on the team in shorthanded TOI/60.

43.4% on faceoffs.

Is this really the contribution we're looking for from a 4th line center?

Old
04-05-2010, 06:29 PM
Caseman

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
11th on the team in shorthanded TOI/60.

43.4% on faceoffs.

Is this really the contribution we're looking for from a 4th line center?
Does Petersen center anymore on a healthy roster? Ribeiro, Richards, Wandell, Sutherby, Benn, Otter...

Caseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 06:57 PM
piqued

If the plan is next year to have a center depth chart of Richards/Benn/Wandell/Petersen he certainly does. They're not paying Ott 3 million to patrol the 4th line, at least I hope to God they're not. Sutherby has hardly played center all year, if at all.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Hull Fan
trou du cul rapide

AHL level filler. Peterson is terrible. Yeah he's kinda fast but not good on faceoffs, gets pushed off the puck and isn't big enough to effectively forecheck. What kind of 4th line are they trying to build? Can't Sutherby, Segal and say a guy like Gagnon be better?

Will a third year in a row with basically the same group of guys really be better? Really Niewy?

Hull Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 07:28 PM
Kritter471

No issues with it because he's cheap, easily tradable with a short-term contract and decent recent production and he fills a role (and can be easily scratched if someone comes along and outperforms him). He can also play wing and center, which provides more flexibility with Wandell likely still out/not up to speed for the first could of months.

Old
04-05-2010, 07:40 PM
piqued

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kritter471 View Post
No issues with it because he's cheap, easily tradable
Who's lining up to acquire Toby Petersen?
Quote:
with a short-term contract
... not short enough.
Quote:
and decent recent production and he fills a role
Explain what this means.
Quote:
He can also play wing and center
It's more instructive to name the players who *can't* play both wing and center. Versatility is not something the team lacks.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
Kritter471

Teams like guys like Petersen at the deadline or even at the draft when trying to acquire forward depth. I don't think he's particularly in demand, but he's also pretty easy to get rid of if necessary (unlike, say, Turco and his cap hit).

Fills a role = not everyone can have Top 6 or even Top 9 minutes, and some guys aren't able to be effective at all unless they get that (see: Brunnstrom, Fabian). Petersen is a guy who you can trust not to hurt you with 10 minutes a night or less on the fourth line, who won't regress into a funk/have his development hurt if regularly scratched and who can chip in the occasional goal or nine. He's not a prototypical fourth-line banger, but if this team really is trying to go for overall team speed and versatility, then he fits that mold.

My view of team building in a cap world is you have to make sure all your roles are filled and deal from your depth to address your weaknesses (hence why I bring up the overflow of left-shot left wingers when we're talking about fixing the defense). Petersen fills a thankless role. Could that have gone to Gagnon? Perhaps. Maybe it still can if he wins a spot in camp. But the people with a lot more knowledge of this team obviously think Petersen is necessary to fill out the lower lines. Maybe it's a sign Sutherby is on his way out because they think he's too fragile. *shrugs*

As far as centers, I suspect Ott and Benn won't be full-time centers next year once everyone is healthy, though Wandell may not be ready to go until November depending on how fast his ACL heals and how much he trusts his knee in the early going. Those are 6-12 month injuries. And given how many freak injuries this team has suffered to centers in recent years, I would always rather more than less. If nothing else, it's more guys who at least know how to take a face off even if they're not good at it.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

I like Petersen, I think it is a little much for his role though

edit: nevermind, I am okay with his money, I thought it was per year

DaStars99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:32 PM
piqued

He'll be easy to get rid of in the sense that you could waive him and pay him his full salary in Cedar Park, sure.

I disagree with your take on Brunnstrom. Minutes aren't the issue, quality of linemates is.

Sure, he won't have his development hurt if he's scratched. Is that really a selling point? That he won't get better? Great, I guess. But of course that's moot, because Petersen almost never gets scratched and won't in the future.

It's OK to not be good at faceoffs if you can line up on the dot and act like you know what you're doing? Alright.

Look at veteran guys like Nichol in San Jose and Fiddler in Phoenix. Those are the kind of lower line players who are making a big difference through their combination of exceptional PK and faceoff work. Clearly a cut above the Toby Petersens of the world.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:47 PM
Kritter471

You could trade him for a very low round pick or equally cheap scrub easily. There were a lot of deals like that at the deadline this year, IIRC.

And I disagree with your take on Brunnstrom. Linemates always make a difference (see: Ott when he plays with a quality center), and it's not proportionally more or less with Brunnstrom than it is with any other player.

Again, you need guys to play those fourth line roles where you're not hurting their development. Playing Glennie on the fourth line, for instance, makes no sense. And we have no idea who will or won't get scratched typically next year, and it could very easily be him with Barch, ick, still playing. He's cheap, chips in decent offense from a fourth-liner and PKs. I know you dislike him, but he's more or less your average fourth liner making your average fourth-line salary.

Very nice at reducing the role of center to taking a faceoff (and FYI, his faceoff percentage is nearly equal to that of Wandell).

Nichol is a good money comparison, but Fiddler makes $1.1 million, money the Stars aren't willing to spend on the fourth line right now.

Old
04-06-2010, 12:39 AM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hull Fan View Post
AHL level filler. Peterson is terrible. Yeah he's kinda fast but not good on faceoffs, gets pushed off the puck and isn't big enough to effectively forecheck. What kind of 4th line are they trying to build? Can't Sutherby, Segal and say a guy like Gagnon be better?

Will a third year in a row with basically the same group of guys really be better? Really Niewy?
Exactly. I'm just waiting for news of a Barch extension to start now. The lower lines on this team are a jumbled mess which is neither particular tough or particularly good defensively. Petersen is a solid enough guy but those guys need an identity down there and I am not how he really fits. Once again, it just comes off that the organization likes what it has too much. Basically Petersen is equally meh at all 3 forward positions and thats somehow seen as a positive.
Sutherby Gagnon Segal actually sounds like a reasonable line. People who think Segal is something hes not probably wont like it, but its really where he most likely belongs.
a third line with ott, wandell and an actual rw would be pretty nice too.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
glovesave_35
Name

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued1457 View Post
Look at veteran guys like Nichol in San Jose and Fiddler in Phoenix. Those are the kind of lower line players who are making a big difference through their combination of exceptional PK and faceoff work. Clearly a cut above the Toby Petersens of the world.
Quote:
Nichol is a good money comparison, but Fiddler makes $1.1 million, money the Stars aren't willing to spend on the fourth line right now.
Fiddler is more than just a 4th line center though. He is second on the Yotes in Shorthanded TOI at 3:10. He also leads his team in faceoffs taken, faceoffs won, and faceoff % at 53. That player is worth every penny of $1.1 mil.

I'm not really surprised with the extension. I also won't be surprised when they announce that they re-signed team leader Barch at a healthy raise for more than one year. Both harbingers of future championships...

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote