HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Arnie Spanier

Closed Thread

Old
02-14-2005, 09:03 PM
Cropduster

vCash: 500
Arnie Spanier

I just heard Arnie Spanier on Sporting News Radio , and he acts like if this season gets cancelled this will be doomsday for the NHL. Not like the doomsday we here at HF speak about, but literally doomsday. As in when the league comes back, he cant see it coming back with but about 14 of the teams. Loss of TV contracts galore and a final demise of the NHL as we know it. Talking about turning some of the arenas into more expansion for arena football, etc. He claims he is an NHL fan, but like most sportscasters in the U.S. he seems to follow what is most popular-as in if the NHL grew in popularity in the coming years (which he doubts) that he probably would become more of a fan.

Now I dont follow too much sports outside hockey but please tell me Arnie Spanier is lame and has no idea what he is talking about. Anyone else ever listen to him?

Old
02-14-2005, 09:05 PM
Randy May

Send a message via AIM to Randy May Send a message via Yahoo to Randy May
Spanier is beyond lame...you have my word on it...when you are listening to him talk about hockey...you might as well listen to Theo Fleury talk about sobreity. he is about as clueless as it gets...

Old
02-14-2005, 09:06 PM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cropduster
I just heard Arnie Spanier on Sporting News Radio , and he acts like if this season gets cancelled this will be doomsday for the NHL. Not like the doomsday we here at HF speak about, but literally doomsday. As in when the league comes back, he cant see it coming back with but about 14 of the teams. Loss of TV contracts galore and a final demise of the NHL as we know it. Talking about turning some of the arenas into more expansion for arena football, etc. He claims he is an NHL fan, but like most sportscasters in the U.S. he seems to follow what is most popular-as in if the NHL grew in popularity in the coming years (which he doubts) that he probably would become more of a fan.

Now I dont follow too much sports outside hockey but please tell me Arnie Spanier is lame and has no idea what he is talking about. Anyone else ever listen to him?
I've never heard of him before, but he makes some huge guesses.

There is essentially no National TV revenue coming in from the US, very little to lose. Most of the local deals are programming for all sports TV stations, that need something to air (MSG, Comcast Sportsnet, Fox Sportsnets, etc.)

Old
02-14-2005, 09:08 PM
Cropduster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy May
Spanier is beyond lame...you have my word on it...when you are listening to him talk about hockey...you might as well listen to Theo Fleury talk about sobreity. he is about as clueless as it gets...
thanks, feel better now

Old
02-15-2005, 11:33 AM
Old Hickory

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy May
He's a big drama queen. He used to be on here in La, but didn't last long

Old
02-15-2005, 12:32 PM
Dave in LA
Chick Magnet

Quote:
Originally posted by kingsjohn:
He's a big drama queen. He used to be on here in La, but didn't last long
"Ohhhhh Laker Fannnnnsssssss!!!!! Ohhhhhh Laker Fans."

I actually liked AS. He was a good. He was definitley a Laker hater. He was responsible for their championship in 1999-2000.

Anyway, he's doesn't know jack about hockey. He's an old Islanders fan back when they won 4 Cups. I think he lost interest after that.

D

Closed Thread