HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Mystery hockey stick deal worth it?

Old
04-06-2010, 10:02 PM
savage18ss

vCash: 500
Mystery hockey stick deal worth it?

I was wondering if anyone here has bought the mystery hockey stick packs. I saw a 3 pro stick pack on hockeymonkey and I'm wondering if there worth the price. The main reason why I'm debating this is because I don't know what setup I want since I haven't had too much experience with different sticks, therefore I'm not too worried what mystery setup I end up with. Am I approaching thisthe wrong way? Thanks

savage18ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:04 PM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

I've actually wondered the same thing

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
raygunpk
WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot

not worth it. i've heard of many people getting low end sticks, in flexes and curves that weren't right, etc.

raygunpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:05 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Based on what they have in stock you'll probably be SOL if you're a righty and like lighter flex sticks.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:17 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by savage18ss View Post
I was wondering if anyone here has bought the mystery hockey stick packs. I saw a 3 pro stick pack on hockeymonkey and I'm wondering if there worth the price. The main reason why I'm debating this is because I don't know what setup I want since I haven't had too much experience with different sticks, therefore I'm not too worried what mystery setup I end up with. Am I approaching thisthe wrong way? Thanks
I've never done it and do not know anyone who has. I would hate getting the wrong lie that I use. The curve would not bother me that much as I can adapt to anything ... for example I use a tough curve to get used to begin with which is the Getzlaf / Lidstrom type.

The other thing is the flex as mentioned here but you are posting about pro stock sticks I think, I may be more tempted from that alone.

But yeah for me the biggest thing is the lie more than anything else.

from the Hockey Monkey site ... http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mystery-...k-pack-sr.html

This is a great opportunity to purchase Grade A composite hockey sticks for a fraction of the price! Get brand name sticks, including Easton, RbK, CCM, Mission, Warrior & Farrel!

Features:

For the low price of $179.98 you will receive three senior composite sticks, selected at random, in the side of your preference
The sticks you receive will be unused, retail or pro-stock quality sticks.
Original retail value of the sticks you receive will be at least $400.00
Due to the nature of this item, we cannot accept requests for specific flexes or patterns

There are no returns, all sales are final.

Sticks may have minor cosmetic blemishes, which do not effect the performance or duability of the stick.

Senior Mystery Composite Hockey Stick 3 Pack
Reg. Price: $599.99Our Price: 179.98

You can take 410 off that for a lefty set.

For that cheap a price getting three quality sticks is a good deal even if you get two that are useless you would still get one at a fair price in my opinion.

I would be happy if only two were useful to me and resell the third on eBay or whatever.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:52 PM
savage18ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
I've never done it and do not know anyone who has. I would hate getting the wrong lie that I use. The curve would not bother me that much as I can adapt to anything ... for example I use a tough curve to get used to begin with which is the Getzlaf / Lidstrom type.

The other thing is the flex as mentioned here but you are posting about pro stock sticks I think, I may be more tempted from that alone.

But yeah for me the biggest thing is the lie more than anything else.

from the Hockey Monkey site ... http://www.hockeymonkey.com/mystery-...k-pack-sr.html

This is a great opportunity to purchase Grade A composite hockey sticks for a fraction of the price! Get brand name sticks, including Easton, RbK, CCM, Mission, Warrior & Farrel!

Features:

For the low price of $179.98 you will receive three senior composite sticks, selected at random, in the side of your preference
The sticks you receive will be unused, retail or pro-stock quality sticks.
Original retail value of the sticks you receive will be at least $400.00
Due to the nature of this item, we cannot accept requests for specific flexes or patterns

There are no returns, all sales are final.

Sticks may have minor cosmetic blemishes, which do not effect the performance or duability of the stick.

Senior Mystery Composite Hockey Stick 3 Pack
Reg. Price: $599.99Our Price: 179.98

You can take 410 off that for a lefty set.

For that cheap a price getting three quality sticks is a good deal even if you get two that are useless you would still get one at a fair price in my opinion.

I would be happy if only two were useful to me and resell the third on eBay or whatever.
Thanks for all of the quick responses.

My mistake, you're right, they're senior sticks not pro. The other reason why I was debating this is because I am a lefty so I'm hoping the stock will be better? I know I shouldn't be counting on "should" but it could happen haha. Is there a quick guide on flex, lie etc and how they affect the setup? Thanks again to everyone who responded so fast.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:00 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
What stick and pattern are you using now?

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
savage18ss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
What stick and pattern are you using now?
Had to ask the guy who I bought it from, since the stick was cut down and not all the info is there. The lie is 5 and the flex is mid 90s. Not sure about the pattern, looks to be open.

Old
04-13-2010, 03:17 PM
Love793

You're better off waiting till the summer clearance sales at your local hockey shop. Look for the discontinued sticks (as in different paint scheme for the 10/11 seasons), you can usually pick them up for 50% off.

Love793 is offline   Reply With Quote