HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Any chance we can sign everyone ?

Old
04-06-2010, 12:38 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyReb View Post
So judging by the trade Hamrlik/Spacek/Price/Halak responses in here the answer to the original question of "Any chance we can sign everyone?" is...

... no?

A 6-8th place playoff-bubble team cannot add players in the off-season, but will in fact be forced to deal away players just to keep the team as is?
With a normal amount of injuries instead of a mammoth amount of them we'd have at least 6-8 more points and would be battling for #2-5 in the conference. Games missed...Cammy 17, Gio 21, AK 23, Markov 37, Bergeron about 12, That's big chunks of time for 4 of our top 8 players, a lot of them at the same time.

Just adding the mobility of Subban next year at the expense of an older/slower player could be a big step forward.

If Halak or Price is moved, you can be sure we'll be getting a young roster player back.

A player like Pouliot could be moved for a more physical winger for the top 6...Horton?

Last edited by Monctonscout: 04-06-2010 at 12:43 PM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:43 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tender Rip View Post
That seems.... optimistic. Hiller just got 4.5 per, and with Halak having a breakthrough year, everyone knowing how talented Price is, and 2011 being a really weak draft, you don't think anyone will put pressure on prices with offer sheets for goalies that good?

Even assuming you're right with Pleks and the goalies... what do you suggest Pouliot and Sergei should be making? Pens could surely try for Pouliot for instance. 3 years at 1.75 per takes him to a contender, playing with Crosby or Malkin should be productive for his stats, and he can then go the 'get PAID in UFA' route afterwards - or take a two year deal to get the hike faster while keeping him RFA. That kind of money would only necessitate a 2011 2nd rounder from the Pens.

With Kostitsyn for instance - an offer sheet for less than a million... no compensation. Up to 1.5 million... a third rounder (this seasons comp).

I think this will be the year offer sheets become a real factor.
Well offer sheets are out of my control when i make assessments about how much money they're going to get. Everyone is at risk to getting signed to offer sheets (or signed period) if they aren't re-signed before July 1st. I'm hoping most of them get contracts before this situation happens. Of the 11 odd players that are either RFA's or UFA's, there are priorities. I think its integral to re-sign Pouliot and Halak before they get offered a sheet, simply based on well they played this year. Price as well, because he's still a hot commodity based on his upside. Then I'd make sure we get Plekanec and Moore contracts; these guys are our best options at center, with no good options in sight for a few years to come. Lock down these 5 players first, then decide what to do with any remaining salary. Sacrifices will probably have to be made; just be sure not to keep the wrong players. Moore replaces Metro--that's easy. Pyatt can probably replace Lapierre. Sergei is a good player but if someone offers him a sheet you'd have to let him walk--besides Moore and Moen, we can't afford to give anyone else in the bottom 6 more than a million a year. I could see a lineup like this next year if we lose a bunch of tweener players:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
A.Kost-Plekanec-Cammy
Moen-Moore-Pyatt
Darche-Maxwell-White

Markov-O'byrne
Hammer-Spacek
Gill-Gorges

Halak
Price

As far as our bottom 6 is concerned, as long as the work ethic is there, i think they'll be fine. I also think that Boucher is and will continue to save the Habs organization money by how well he develops the youngsters.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:18 AM
MikeyPeenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I don't think we'd need to sign or trade for another defenceman after Hamrlik/Spacek departure.

Markov - Gorges
Subban - (Hamrlik or Spacek)
O'Byrne - Gill
Weber

Is decent to me
i agree with this 125% PK subban will be ready for the nhl next year, there is no question about that. The question is what salary do we remove in order to make some cap space

MikeyPeenz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:05 AM
HockeyF3ind

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playmaker09 View Post
Worst case scenario IMO is if we can't deal away one of Hamrlik/Spacek and are forced to buy out Hamrlik. Replace him with Weber and we save nearly 3M in cap space.
Almost any team would take those guys for a 3rd if they have the salary space. I think for hammer a 2nd would not be out of the question either.

HockeyF3ind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:27 AM
macavoy

Is Weber gonna make the team next year or is he a career AHLer?

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 07:38 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
Is Weber gonna make the team next year or is he a career AHLer?
I'd rather they keep Bergeron than add Weber to start the season.

There is no doubt we won't be able to keep everyone. Spacek or Hamrlik will have to be sacrificed. Preferably Hamrlik. Hammer is having one of his best seasons in Montreal and his value won't get any higher. We've been criticizing Spacek a lot but he will have the opportunity to play on his right side next season and expected to do less offensively playing with Subban. Plus, better save $5.5M than $3.8M.

Gorges and O'Byrne raises will be covered by Mara's salary.

Lapierre, SK, Pouliot, Darche, Pyatt and Moore won't be very expensive. They will have to buy out Laraque's contract.

So 7mil for Plek's increase (maybe 2 mil), Halak and Price's raises (maybe 2 more mil) and Subban's salary ($.875M). Not much left for the 6 players mentioned above. Pacioretty should make the team next year which means that one of Darche, Pyatt, SK would be expendable.

It seems so tight that a trade for a Nathan Horton salary cap is out of the question unless AK is involved. And we can forget about free agency.

Max Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:16 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Pacioretty should make the team next year which means that one of Darche, Pyatt, SK would be expendable.
Patches won't make the team next year.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:23 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
Patches won't make the team next year.
Ya think? I don't have a problem with him spending another year in Hamilton but at one point, I hope he will turn out to be as much as we first expected.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:37 AM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Levine View Post
Ya think? I don't have a problem with him spending another year in Hamilton but at one point, I hope he will turn out to be as much as we first expected.
I'm going to be disapointed if he isn't eventually a top 6 forward. I just don't think he's dominated at the AHL level yet for a prolonged period. He couldn't produce at the NHL. He is young, look at Benoit Pouliot, Pouliot is what 3 years older and is just finding himself now. No point in rushing Max imo.

Old
04-07-2010, 08:48 AM
Max Levine

Quote:
I'm going to be disapointed if he isn't eventually a top 6 forward. I just don't think he's dominated at the AHL level yet for a prolonged period. He couldn't produce at the NHL. He is young, look at Benoit Pouliot, Pouliot is what 3 years older and is just finding himself now. No point in rushing Max imo.
He was impressive in his first few games last year, going to the net and being very active. But I don't see him as a top 6 forward. He should be a very valuable 3rd line winger.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:05 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Cheechoo says "hi" back at you.
exactly
and cheechoo was terribile before he left san jose and he was with thornton
so saying thornton is the reason Marleau is scoring doesnt add up

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
I don't think we'd need to sign or trade for another defenceman after Hamrlik/Spacek departure.

Markov - Gorges
Subban - (Hamrlik or Spacek)
O'Byrne - Gill
Weber

Is decent to me
Where is Mara?

Westcoasthabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I really don't see why Montreal couldn't sign both goalies.

Most teams spend between $5-7 million on goalies and I don't see why the Habs couldn't split that amount among the 2 we currently have. They're both RFA and not UFA and so probably won't get the $4+ million they'd probably get on the market. Besides, neither goalie is the type to sit out a year either.
Didnt Halak threaten earlier in the year if he wasnt the number one he would go and play in the KHL? So bringing them both back isnt an option IMO.

P.S. Love your avatar!!!!!

Old
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
smon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Didnt Halak threaten earlier in the year if he wasnt the number one he would go and play in the KHL? So bringing them both back isnt an option IMO.

P.S. Love your avatar!!!!!
He didn't say he would to the KHL....to paraphrase, he said he wanted to be the #1 and if it wasn't going to be in Montreal then it would have to somewhere else.

So I'd think he's talking about more getting traded than fleeing to Russia.

smon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:20 AM
Westcoasthabsfan

Quote:
Your reasonin is wrong because Halak can be #1 and Price has never complained about being the backup. Price is happy and he respects Halak. Price will be a better goalie because that is how you develop, being the #2.
Oh believe me he isnt happy sitting on the bench..... look at his facial expressions etc...they arent of a happy guy...

Old
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westcoasthabsfan View Post
Where is Mara?
Mara is gone,only signed a 1 year deal

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:38 AM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Are not Pyatt and Darche weak links?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Well offer sheets are out of my control when i make assessments about how much money they're going to get. Everyone is at risk to getting signed to offer sheets (or signed period) if they aren't re-signed before July 1st. I'm hoping most of them get contracts before this situation happens. Of the 11 odd players that are either RFA's or UFA's, there are priorities. I think its integral to re-sign Pouliot and Halak before they get offered a sheet, simply based on well they played this year. Price as well, because he's still a hot commodity based on his upside. Then I'd make sure we get Plekanec and Moore contracts; these guys are our best options at center, with no good options in sight for a few years to come. Lock down these 5 players first, then decide what to do with any remaining salary. Sacrifices will probably have to be made; just be sure not to keep the wrong players. Moore replaces Metro--that's easy. Pyatt can probably replace Lapierre. Sergei is a good player but if someone offers him a sheet you'd have to let him walk--besides Moore and Moen, we can't afford to give anyone else in the bottom 6 more than a million a year. I could see a lineup like this next year if we lose a bunch of tweener players:

Pouliot-Gomez-Gionta
A.Kost-Plekanec-Cammy
Moen-Moore-Pyatt
Darche-Maxwell-White

Markov-O'byrne
Hammer-Spacek
Gill-Gorges

Halak
Price

As far as our bottom 6 is concerned, as long as the work ethic is there, i think they'll be fine. I also think that Boucher is and will continue to save the Habs organization money by how well he develops the youngsters.

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:08 PM
neofury*

We should send Lats an RFA sheet and trade away our entire team and rebuild right guys?

I actually remember a person on here was saying that at some point.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote