Notices

Countdown to the draft

Old
04-07-2010, 11:26 AM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by UMD Bob View Post
What is the basis of your theory? Current roster? Past regime?
Obviously its past regime, we've only had one year of Fletcher & Co. But I just don't see it happening in the near future any time soon, let alone a Russian ever being on the team.....don't know why

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

vCash: 500
So if Tarasenko is available when the Wild pick the only thing stopping them would be the dreaded Russian factor.

UMD05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
mnwildgophers

New Rankings

1. Seguin
2. Hall
3. Connolly
4. Gudbranson
5. Fowler

Nino is rated at #12. Bjudstad is #13. Etem is at #8. I think we will be eyeing these 3 guys for sure.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:43 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Kabonov fell quite a bit. I wonder if he'll still be around in the 2nd.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:45 AM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Kabonov fell quite a bit. I wonder if he'll still be around in the 2nd.
Dropped to #31. Someone said that in the Prospects forum. His stock took a huge hit.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
Dropped to #31. Someone said that in the Prospects forum. His stock took a huge hit.
Yeah, I've been keeping up with the Gare Joyce Kabonov bashing over there. The 31st NA ranking puts him quite a bit lower when you add the Euros. It's too early to tell if his attitude would scare Fletcher away, but the potential would be tough to pass up if he makes it to Minnesota's 2nd round pick.

Though this is probably pointless to discuss because I bet somebody will take a chance on him in the latter half of the 1st round.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:26 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Yeah, I've been keeping up with the Gare Joyce Kabonov bashing over there. The 31st NA ranking puts him quite a bit lower when you add the Euros. It's too early to tell if his attitude would scare Fletcher away, but the potential would be tough to pass up if he makes it to Minnesota's 2nd round pick.

Though this is probably pointless to discuss because I bet somebody will take a chance on him in the latter half of the 1st round.
I see someone with an already deep prospect pool chancing on him. Fletcher doesn't have the luxury to find a bust especially with his first pick.

I don't think that any of these picks are certain things, but I think if we grab a good forward in this draft, we must let him develop and take his time through the minors. We have to *develop* well, and I think that's been our main problem.

Edit:
Figured I'd edit to post a link to Russo's blog.

Lots of interesting things, but the thing that sticks out most to me is his reference so how good we look on the D side of things. I think that we will be okay for D for a while. I'm mostly happy about this because hopefully we can allow Scandella and Cuma to develop well down in the AHL. They can hopefully be top-4 D-men in a couple of years.

2nd thought: Maybe we can trade one of our guys down in the AHL for a forward guy. Not necessarily Sharp, but we could get a quality starter for something like Harding + (young d-man?). I'm not sure who's going to be available, but at least we have *some* trading chips.

Last edited by mnwildgophers: 04-07-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old
04-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Generic User
Dynamic as they come

There are only a few players on the Wild that I would never want to trade. Fletcher is a smart guy. I have faith that if a good deal comes his way he'll pull the trigger. Like BigT (I believe) has said, I think Fletch should trade up for the 2 pick. Really not good with trade stuff, so I don't know what that would entail giving up. I would love Hall or Seguin on the team, but honestly, I think Seguin will be the better player and the Wild need a good 1st/2nd line center.

If the Wild play with the cards they're dealt once the season ends, I'd like to see Nino, Tarasenko, Burmistrov (concerned about size, though), Granlund, or Etem. I'd be happy with any of those. I've seen Jeff Skinner going late in the 1st in many mock drafts, like the ones on NHL.com. If for whatever reason he falls to the Wild during the 2nd round, they need to take him. I would say to take a chance on Kabanov with their 2nd, but I see a team with a couple of 1st rouders like Boston taking a risk on him before he falls to the second round.

Generic User is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:30 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by Generic User View Post
There are only a few players on the Wild that I would never want to trade. Fletcher is a smart guy. I have faith that if a good deal comes his way he'll pull the trigger. Like BigT (I believe) has said, I think Fletch should trade up for the 2 pick. Really not good with trade stuff, so I don't know what that would entail giving up. I would love Hall or Seguin on the team, but honestly, I think Seguin will be the better player and the Wild need a good 1st/2nd line center.

If the Wild play with the cards they're dealt once the season ends, I'd like to see Nino, Tarasenko, Burmistrov (concerned about size, though), Granlund, or Etem. I'd be happy with any of those. I've seen Jeff Skinner going late in the 1st in many mock drafts, like the ones on NHL.com. If for whatever reason he falls to the Wild during the 2nd round, they need to take him. I would say to take a chance on Kabanov with their 2nd, but I see a team with a couple of 1st rouders like Boston taking a risk on him before he falls to the second round.
I don't think the Wild have anything that could get us the 2nd overall. Our 1st and Burns is the only thing I could see, value wise, as well as from our perspective since we have d-men...

I just don't think Hall/Seguin/Fowler would be worth Burns and a 1st. 6 spots in a deep draft is going to cost too much for this franchise imo.

I would much rather keep our first and get Nino or some of the other mentioned forwards. Nino/insert prospect at 8-10 pick plus Burns > one of Hall/Seguin/Fowler imo.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:11 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I don't think the Wild have anything that could get us the 2nd overall. Our 1st and Burns is the only thing I could see, value wise, as well as from our perspective since we have d-men...

I just don't think Hall/Seguin/Fowler would be worth Burns and a 1st. 6 spots in a deep draft is going to cost too much for this franchise imo.

I would much rather keep our first and get Nino or some of the other mentioned forwards. Nino/insert prospect at 8-10 pick plus Burns > one of Hall/Seguin/Fowler imo.
I agree with this statement. I really would like Nino or Etem. I think either of them is going to be really good. It's not worth it to try to trade up for one of them even as much as we want them.

Old
04-08-2010, 10:14 AM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
1. Oilers(2 games remaining) - 60
2. Leafs(1) - 72
3. TB(3), Fla.(3) - 74
5. NYI(3), Canes(2), CBJ(1) - 78
8. Thrash(2), WILD(2) - 81
10. NYR(2), Dal.(2) - 84
12. Bos(3) - 85

• Columbus will pick before the Wild for sure now, joining Oilers, Leafs, Lightning, Panthers.

• Closing in on the 8 or 9 slot. A wild loss in Calgary will cement it.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:08 AM
mnwildgophers

I'll take #8 spot! Thanks for the updates Bookman.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:42 AM
Surly Furious

1. Oilers(2 games remaining) - 60
2. Leafs(1) - 72
3. TB(2), Fla.(2) - 76
5. NYI(2), CBJ(1) - 78
7. Canes (1) - 80
8. Thrash(2) - 81
9. WILD(1) - 83
10. NYR(2) 84

• Boston and Dallas are now out of reach. The lowest pick for the Wild, barring a perverse lottery, will be 10.

•Canes officially can't catch the Wild, so 8 is as high as they can go.

So there you have it, 8, 9, or 10.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:40 AM
mnwildgophers

#8-10 wouldn't be too bad. Here's to hoping for Nino!

Old
04-09-2010, 11:56 AM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

Dubie really effed things up last night. So did Mittens by actually hitting the net. Don't they know they're supposed to be tanking?

Old
04-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Surly Furious

Quote:
Dubie really effed things up last night. So did Mittens by actually hitting the net. Don't they know they're supposed to be tanking?
Well, hopefully the Rags will beat the Flyers once over the last 2 and give the Wild the 9 spot. Atlanta had a near impossible final stretch with the Caps Devils and Penguins twice.

BTW your post reminded me, I thought it kind of humorous that Houston's goalies this season were Dubie and Dobby.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:11 PM
mnwildgophers

#9 wouldn't be so bad. Since we're locked into that postion, #8-10, we'll be okay and should be able to get one of Nino, Etem, or some other forward that I'm not saying.

Gormley, Gudbranson, Fowler, Hall, Seguin are all pretty much locks to be gone before we pick. I wonder who else will be gone by the time we get to pick.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:38 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

I'd guess Connolly & Tarasenko.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:50 PM
mnwildgophers

At #9, which it looks like the most likely scenario, Etem, Nino, Burmistrov, Bjudstad, or Johansen will most likely be available. Since we pretty much nailed 7 of the 8 that will be picked ahead of us, I hope we pick either Nino or Etem. I think Tarasenko will be gone too.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:38 PM
UMD05
Hobey Baker Champs

If the previously mentioned players are taken at #9 I'd prefer one of the Winterhawks.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:46 PM
mnwildgophers

I couldn't be mad at either of those selections.

Old
04-09-2010, 03:50 PM
Surly Furious

There always seems to be a team that goes off the boards in the top 10 as well. You never know who might fall in your lap with a top 10 pick.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:01 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
There always seems to be a team that goes off the boards in the top 10 as well. You never know who might fall in your lap with a top 10 pick.
Oh the Blake Wheeler pick.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Surly Furious

Or Thomas Hickey.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:30 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...