HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade for a Top NHL Winger

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2010, 11:00 AM
  #26
RoDu
Shagga likes axes
 
RoDu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Winnipeg
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,469
vCash: 500

RoDu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:02 AM
  #27
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Just the answer I was looking for, lol.
Well seriously, break it down.

- Briere cannot play defense at C, we've established this.
- Carter is a 2-way monster at C, he was scoring over half a goal per game under Lavi (24 in 47) despite 2 runs from hell for the team with goalies.
- Iginla is 7 1/2 years older than Carter.
- Nash makes 7.8 next year (too much)
- JVR will be a stud.

Just doesn't make sense.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:07 AM
  #28
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
The national hockey media is a bunch of friggin idiots. Do yourself a favor, and stop paying attention to 'em. Sports journalism in general doesn't attract the brightest bulbs, and then you add on that hockey is a marginal sport in the US and you get the weakest elements of that group.

Yes, having VERY good players on your team can lead to positive results. That has NOTHING to do with with their "marketability."

The league DOES NOT take extra interest in the franchises. We have one of the most (if not the most) powerful owners in the sport. We have plenty of pull with the NHL. The NHL is run by morons...stupid crap happens with and to every team in the league. The Flyers are not getting singled out or ignored.
So Simon Gagne can be planted face first into the boards almost breaking his neck just like that. Then get 19 penalty minutes and nothing outside of Philadelphia is reported. But then Steve Downie clamps down on Crosby's leg and the entire world kicks up a fuss about how Crosby and the Pen's season was almost lost? If you think the NHL has nothing to do at least a little with what is reported (especially on NHL.com), you are blind.

Let's not forget that every time the Caps and Pens play each other, it is epic according to the media (NHL.com is the worst at this btw).

The Flyers and Ed Snider have pull with the NHL in terms of getting the Flyers on national television, and like I said before, thats because of the extremely loyal fanbase. Other than direct tv ratings, the Flyers give the NHL nothing else to work with in order to promote what it wants.

I agree the NHL is run by a bunch of morons, however, they aren't going anywhere. Might as well play by their rules. Additionally, I also agree that sports media in general aren't worth a crap, but their voices are still heard and the star players get their teams in that spotlight more often than not. The Flyers get spotlight, however its always for the negative, never the positive.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
  #29
Talbetts
Registered User
 
Talbetts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Schwenksville?, PA
Posts: 829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
So Simon Gagne can be planted face first into the boards almost breaking his neck just like that. Then get 19 penalty minutes and nothing outside of Philadelphia is reported. But then Steve Downie clamps down on Crosby's leg and the entire world kicks up a fuss about how Crosby and the Pen's season was almost lost? If you think the NHL has nothing to do at least a little with what is reported (especially on NHL.com), you are blind.

Let's not forget that every time the Caps and Pens play each other, it is epic according to the media (NHL.com is the worst at this btw).

The Flyers and Ed Snider have pull with the NHL in terms of getting the Flyers on national television, and like I said before, thats because of the extremely loyal fanbase. Other than direct tv ratings, the Flyers give the NHL nothing else to work with in order to promote what it wants.

I agree the NHL is run by a bunch of morons, however, they aren't going anywhere. Might as well play by their rules. Additionally, I also agree that sports media in general aren't worth a crap, but their voices are still heard and the star players get their teams in that spotlight more often than not. The Flyers get spotlight, however its always for the negative, never the positive.
WTF? How in the world did I miss this Downie thing??? That's awesome! Do you have a youtube?

Talbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:10 AM
  #30
FlyHigh
Registered User
 
FlyHigh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 28,156
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
The Flyers get plenty of positive spotlight, you missed people raving over Richie during the Olympics?

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:13 AM
  #31
Jester
Registered User
 
Jester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: St. Andrews
Country: Scotland
Posts: 34,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
So Simon Gagne can be planted face first into the boards almost breaking his neck just like that. Then get 19 penalty minutes and nothing outside of Philadelphia is reported. But then Steve Downie clamps down on Crosby's leg and the entire world kicks up a fuss about how Crosby and the Pen's season was almost lost? If you think the NHL has nothing to do at least a little with what is reported (especially on NHL.com), you are blind.
Now, how do you fold your tinfoil hat? Like a sailor, or is it more of a hershey kiss type thing?

Quote:
Let's not forget that every time the Caps and Pens play each other, it is epic according to the media (NHL.com is the worst at this btw).
They're selling a product dude... casual fans are interested in 'em.

Quote:
The Flyers and Ed Snider have pull with the NHL in terms of getting the Flyers on national television, and like I said before, thats because of the extremely loyal fanbase. Other than direct tv ratings, the Flyers give the NHL nothing else to work with in order to promote what it wants.
Getting on national TV has nothing to do with pull, and everything to do with ratings.

Quote:
I agree the NHL is run by a bunch of morons, however, they aren't going anywhere. Might as well play by their rules. Additionally, I also agree that sports media in general aren't worth a crap, but their voices are still heard and the star players get their teams in that spotlight more often than not. The Flyers get spotlight, however its always for the negative, never the positive.
1) There are no rules to play by...which is the observation you're kind of missing.

2) As to the media: so what? I mean, seriously, who the F cares?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:17 AM
  #32
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
The Flyers get plenty of positive spotlight, you missed people raving over Richie during the Olympics?
That plus that thing called the Winter Classic.

The franchises that have come to the forefront post-lockout are easily us, Washington, Penguins, Red Wings, and Chicago. I mean, New York City is the center of the sports universe, and the Rangers aren't nearly as visible/big nationally as any of those 5 teams I just listed.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:18 AM
  #33
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Well seriously, break it down.

- Briere cannot play defense at C, we've established this.
- Carter is a 2-way monster at C, he was scoring over half a goal per game under Lavi (24 in 47) despite 2 runs from hell for the team with goalies.
- Iginla is 7 1/2 years older than Carter.
- Nash makes 7.8 next year (too much)
- JVR will be a stud.

Just doesn't make sense.
Key problem with the entire Flyers is Briere. Forget all the other no trade clauses the Flyers have, Briere's no movement clause is just the worst.

If not for Briere there wouldn't be ANY need to change this team. I'm just irritated that because of Briere's contract, we will have to see Gagne leave in 2011 with nothing in return because he would be an UFA.

I'm just trying to brainstorm how to use Briere to get the most out of the 6.5 million per year for 5 years.

Question though... hypothetically speaking, is there a team out there that would take on Briere assuming he did not have a no-movement clause?

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:25 AM
  #34
nuclear reactor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Key problem with the entire Flyers is Briere. Forget all the other no trade clauses the Flyers have, Briere's no movement clause is just the worst.

If not for Briere there wouldn't be ANY need to change this team. I'm just irritated that because of Briere's contract, we will have to see Gagne leave in 2011 with nothing in return because he would be an UFA.

I'm just trying to brainstorm how to use Briere to get the most out of the 6.5 million per year for 5 years.

Question though... hypothetically speaking, is there a team out there that would take on Briere assuming he did not have a no-movement clause?
DANIEL BRIERE BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,233,333
2011-2012: $1,233,333
2012-2013: $1,233,333
2013-2014: $5,233,333
2014-2015: $6,233,333
2015-2016: $1,733,333
2016-2017: $1,733,333
2017-2018: $1,733,333
2018-2019: $1,733,333
2019-2020: $1,733,333

nuclear reactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:32 AM
  #35
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Is there any Flyers fans away from the greater Philly area that can honestly tell me that the Flyers get much positive attention?

Winter Classic was one game: Boston and Philly was a ratings based game. NBC wanted two teams that would bring in ratings. Both Boston and Philly have fanbases that WILL watch the game.

Mike Richards yes did get olympic attention, however, does anyone remember that besides Philly fans and maybe hardcore hockey fans? Also, its funny how ANY cheap hit made from now on will have a story written that includes the mention of Richie's hit on Booth... just sayin.

Nobody seems to agree with me over any of this so I'll leave it alone. Just so you know, its my opinion that if the Flyers had a big name that the NHL could showcase to the casual sports fan, we would be known as more than just a team full of goons.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:36 AM
  #36
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
DANIEL BRIERE BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,233,333
2011-2012: $1,233,333
2012-2013: $1,233,333
2013-2014: $5,233,333
2014-2015: $6,233,333
2015-2016: $1,733,333
2016-2017: $1,733,333
2017-2018: $1,733,333
2018-2019: $1,733,333
2019-2020: $1,733,333
That's actually not bad if the Flyers were planning to rebuild in 2013-15.

At this point, it could be the only option. Or we could just pay him 6.5 and live with it for 5 more years and have 2015-2020 $0 for Danny Briere off the team.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:56 AM
  #37
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 38,164
vCash: 156
why is positive attention important? the stanley cup isnt a popularity contest.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:00 PM
  #38
Slowbro
Registered User
 
Slowbro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: New Jersey
Country: United States
Posts: 903
vCash: 500
i dont see giroux being the saving grace of this team.. i am sorry but i don't.

Slowbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:19 PM
  #39
Stonehands77
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Waltham, MA
Posts: 1,495
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Is there any Flyers fans away from the greater Philly area that can honestly tell me that the Flyers get much positive attention?
The Flyers get a lot of negative attention here in Boston, but that's because they have a lot of whiny fans who can't get over the Bergeron thing a couple of years ago, and Kevin Paul Dupont (one of the beat writers for them in the Boston Globe) has a hard on for bashing the Flyers.

I don't think the Boston area is representative though. The Bergeron thing has colored everything in regards to the Flyers. Lots of B's fans have dealt with it, but a vocal minority are still outraged over it.

Stonehands77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:27 PM
  #40
captainpaxil
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
theres a couple rally big flaws in your argument

1) jarome iginlas best days are behind him and he was never the star in america he was in canada. if what your looking for is pure star power he doesnt have it. causal hockey fans dont recognize him any more than they do pronger. think about it, every marketing guy in the league was loving the idea of opening new markets with a black dude named jarome and it still didnt happen

2) rick nash is a beast but getting him out of colombus is near impossible. as a smaller market hes thier franchise player crucial to both thier success and thier marketability.

3) the legacy of the bullys is part of our franchise identity. even though we dont really play that way its still marketed that way. we havent led the league in hits in years or had a heavyweight enforcer but the flyers are always thought of as a tough team.

4) the guy you want is bobby ryan. young star, hometown kid, great redmption story all the stuff reporters drool about. and hes right in the flyers mold being a big bodied power forward. anaheim loves him and he isnt going anywhere.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:36 PM
  #41
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainpaxil View Post

4) the guy you want is bobby ryan. young star, hometown kid, great redmption story all the stuff reporters drool about. and hes right in the flyers mold being a big bodied power forward. anaheim loves him and he isnt going anywhere.
The very reason I never bring his name into conversation about this is cause Anaheim would never go for it. The reason I like to use Rick Nash is that he resigned with the team thinking they were headed in the right direction only to fumble right back to the usual bottom tier of NHL teams.

Dany Heatley whined and cried his way out of Ottawa, which is why precedent has been set for a move like this. However, doubtful Rick Nash is a whiney idiot like Heatley... and like you said, Nash is probably the only glue holding that franchise together at this point.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:39 PM
  #42
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 31,614
vCash: 50
I cant quote from everything In this thread. i would but I would be here all day and I have things to do later.
It would be completely idiotic to trade Jeff Carter without getting a center in return who is as good as he is on both sides of the puck. As much as he drives some people around here crazy with his high and wide shots the guy has almost 80 freakin goals in a season plus 60 games. How do you replace that from his position? With Danny Briere? LOL Briere might be the biggest defensive liability at forward in the league. No, just no.
CBJ is not trading Nash. He is the face of the franchise. he isnt going anywhere.
Same with Iggy in Calgary. I see him retiring up there. Yes I know anyone can be traded. But I just cant see any case where I see any of them traded.
There is no conspirasy, sure we may joke about it but there is none. Yes alot of **** has gone against the Flyers this season, but all that has to do with is incompitance. the refs in this league suck and the Toronto "war room" is a flawed system.
The Flyers dont get attention? they get plenty of it. Sorry we cant be on versus every week.
Yes the Pittsburgh/Washington game is hyped every time they play. Why wouldnt they hype it? all the leagues do it.
Celtics/Lakers
Yankees/Redsox
Pats/Colts
ect ect. its called marketing. I dont have a problem with it. Its even better when the Caps spank the Pens every single time they play.
I think that covered everything.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:53 PM
  #43
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireHolmgrenDotCom View Post
There is no conspirasy, sure we may joke about it but there is none. Yes alot of **** has gone against the Flyers this season, but all that has to do with is incompitance. the refs in this league suck and the Toronto "war room" is a flawed system.
Can't really argue as I get overheated too easily when calls don't go the Flyers way... pretty much ever, but it probably happens to many teams.

The refs in this league are a joke and I'm not exactly sure if they are reprimanded for missing obvious calls and vastly misinterpreting the rulebook (waving off the goal in Pittsburgh a couple weeks ago for "goalie interference"). I hope they are being reprimanded for it, but since it keeps happening, I'm can't be sure.

What gets me even more heated is when obvious intent to injure for Matt Cooke doesn't warrant a suspension because precedent was set "earlier in the year non-suspension to Mike Richards on the David Booth hit." Meanwhile Carcillo gets 2 games for an accidental high stick during a scrum.

Ugh... I just wish they could at least come out and issue a statement that stuff is being looked into. That's all I need.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:00 PM
  #44
decadentia
Registered User
 
decadentia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: New Brunswick
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,547
vCash: 500
So if I get this right...


1. Trade for big name, regardless of salary
2. Trade away our highest scoring forward at lower salary
3. ???
4. Phone call from NHL
5. Stanley cup

Hell, sign me up



Sorry, I thought I came to this thread for a trade proposal to make the team better. I guess we're going for Nike endorsements now.

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:06 PM
  #45
billandsebastian
Registered User
 
billandsebastian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Brighton
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
why is positive attention important? the stanley cup isnt a popularity contest.
This.

Snider and Holmgren's main concern is building a winning hockey team that sells out the stadium in Philly and that generates income through merchandise sales, though that last bit is a secondary concern. Most of the people outside of the region that are fans formerly lived here, have family connections to the area, or just a deep love of truculent hockey. They don't care if people in Wisconsin know who Mike Richards is. That's Bettman's problem, not ours.

billandsebastian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:23 PM
  #46
El Emperor
Registered User
 
El Emperor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Woodstown, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post
So if I get this right...

1. Trade for big name, regardless of salary
2. Trade away our highest scoring forward at lower salary
3. ???
4. Phone call from NHL
5. Stanley cup

Hell, sign me up

Sorry, I thought I came to this thread for a trade proposal to make the team better. I guess we're going for Nike endorsements now.
Its not that simple. It's a building block to something greater. Is it a gamble... yes! Never said it was a sure thing. However, Jeff Carter is going to require about 7 million per year eventually. Yeah, next year and probably the next year is still salary cap hell, but the future would look great, wouldn't it?

And you all act like the guy the Flyers would bring in wouldn't produce. In a perfect world, Briere would only have a no-trade clause and the Flyers could bury him in the minors, then we could actually attract a big name through free agency... or, I don't know... maybe get a decent goalie for once?

In no way would I ever trade away Jeff Carter for just a name with no talent to back himself up. My overall point is that Jeff Carter is the only player at this point with blockbuster trade value. It's why I laugh at all the Carey Price trade talks as everyone thinks the Habs will let him go for JVR or Giroux straight up.

The current make-up of this team is way too inconsistant. Something huge is coming this season to shake up the team. If the Flyers work a miracle and slay the salary cap monster/******(sorry, little person) moving him to another team with an idiotic GM, it would be great... but it won't happen.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
  #47
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
All what I want is an offensive dynamo on the team. No more of these two way 70 point forwards. I want a 90+ point scoring forward on the team. Someone who is just a complete offensive player. Every Stanley Cup winner has had at least one player who has scored 90+ points at least once in their career. You can't compete for the Stanley Cup if you don't have at least one player like that in the lineup.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:51 PM
  #48
Garbage Goal
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 17,227
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyersfan333 View Post
Key problem with the entire Flyers is Briere. Forget all the other no trade clauses the Flyers have, Briere's no movement clause is just the worst.

If not for Briere there wouldn't be ANY need to change this team. I'm just irritated that because of Briere's contract, we will have to see Gagne leave in 2011 with nothing in return because he would be an UFA.

I'm just trying to brainstorm how to use Briere to get the most out of the 6.5 million per year for 5 years.

Question though... hypothetically speaking, is there a team out there that would take on Briere assuming he did not have a no-movement clause?
It sucks to see Gagne leave, but if he does then that's a lot of cap hit that can be spent elsewhere on in the UFA market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuclear reactor View Post
DANIEL BRIERE BUYOUT FROM CAPGEEK.COM
2010-2011: $1,233,333
2011-2012: $1,233,333
2012-2013: $1,233,333
2013-2014: $5,233,333
2014-2015: $6,233,333
2015-2016: $1,733,333
2016-2017: $1,733,333
2017-2018: $1,733,333
2018-2019: $1,733,333
2019-2020: $1,733,333
That's actually not bad with the exceptions of '13 to '15.

Garbage Goal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
  #49
EasyMac
Registered User
 
EasyMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Every Stanley Cup winner has had at least one player who has scored 90+ points at least once in their career. You can't compete for the Stanley Cup if you don't have at least one player like that in the lineup.
Well, we actually do:



2006-07: GP: 81 G: 32 A: 63 Pts: 95

EasyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:05 PM
  #50
BobbyClarkeFan16
Registered User
 
BobbyClarkeFan16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: London Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,908
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyMac View Post
Well, we actually do:



2006-07: GP: 81 G: 32 A: 63 Pts: 95
It completely baffles me how much his play has dropped off. I'm still of the belief that offensively gifted players come to Philadelphia and die. I've never seen regression like Briere's. I honestly can't believe how he's all but fallen off the map and that a 50 point season is now called a success. The Flyers really need to find a way to jump start his game again because he just isn't the same player that he was when he was in Buffalo.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:06 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.