HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Carolina Hurricanes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Don't we have to something to argue about, GDT?

Old
04-05-2010, 11:38 AM
tarheelhockey
Global Moderator

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Sam View Post
I seriously doubt Whitney is disappointed to be here, otherwise he would have waived his no trade clause. Dude is 38 years old and he's not immune to slowing down out of nowhere either.
It's not his speed, it's his facial and body language. It was plain to see that he checked out as soon as the deadline passed. The floating and slowness are secondary symptoms.

tarheelhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarheelhockey View Post
It's not his speed, it's his facial and body language. It was plain to see that he checked out as soon as the deadline passed. The floating and slowness are secondary symptoms.
I agree with this, but I also understand it. He went from the excitement of maybe getting traded to a contender, maybe getting a contract extension, and maybe sleeping with Jessica Biel (ok I made that last one up), to playing out the string with the Canes. I'm sure there was quite a letdown, even if he didn't necessarily want to go anywhere.

Maybe he knows he's coming back. He's certainly got nothing to prove here.

totalkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
Joe McGrath

I wouldn't mind having LaRose as an 'A'. If you want to teach a young player how to get the most out of your size/ability look no further than that guy.

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 09:44 PM
totalkev

Sutter.

Old
04-05-2010, 10:16 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Sutter and Gleason. That's all you need, and all we will need for a while to compliment Staal in terms of leadership.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:21 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Sutter.
A few months back I was all for Staal being Captain (the obvious choice by the franchise heading forward) with Gleason and Ruutu wearing the 'A'. Ruutu really stepped up in a leadership role when the times were tough. A letter on his shoulder seemed like an obvious choice.

With that said, has Sutter had an off game or a game where he just didn't show up since his first day here this season? I honestly can't remember one. The kid demonstrates everything and more of what a true leader on the ice should exemplify and it has squat to do with his name. I am generally a little cautious with young players wearing letters, but with the transition of the team heading forward and simply seeing what Sutter is all about this season, you can't go wrong stitching an 'A' on his left shoulder. Not to mention at this point in time, for all we know, he'll be apart of this franchise for years to come. Will Ruutu? Who knows, honestly. Sutter is a building block and franchise player to this organization in his own unique, yet deserving way. I'm all for Sutter wearing a letter. He may be young, and he may not have the 'experience' that sometimes warrants a letter, but everything else that defines a true, respected, hardworking professional & leader, Sutter is and always will be. I don't doubt that for a second.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:39 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

I don't know about Sutter getting a letter just yet. I'm all for it eventually, but somehow, having someone that young wear a letter simply doesn't seem like it'll work. Especially on a team that's got many players 10 years older than him.

If it's true what John and Tripp say, and that Brindamour has been taking all our young players under his wing and showing them the ropes, there's no reason you don't keep the "A" on him. He's not the player he once was, but in terms of experience and hockey knowledge, there's no one on the team I'd rather have the rookies learning from.

I doubt Sutter would take the "A" if offered to him for that reason.

Blueline Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 10:42 PM
cptjeff
[insert joke here]

vCash: 501
I think the idea would be to give it to him if Brindy retires. And even though Sutter is young, everybody in the room keeps talking about how mature he is an how mature his play is, so he'd probably do okay.

cptjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Vagrant
The Czech Condor

Send a message via AIM to Vagrant
Sutter will eventually wear a letter for us. I think we all know that on some level. My objection is that it would be another form of "fast tracking" him the way we tried to do when we called him up too early last season. His mind should be focused on what he can do to improve his own game at this early of a stage in his career, not in trying to determine how his teammates can.

His own development is not a slam dunk by any stretch. I don't say that as a criticism of Sutter in particular, but as a general rule regarding young talent.

You can tell which players want it so early. The guys like Toews, Crosby, etc. I don't see Sutter as being one of those guys that is beating the door down to wear a letter, and that's what is going to make him a damn fine captain one day.

Vagrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-05-2010, 11:22 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
If Brindy is still here next season then I fully expect him to keep his 'A', and rightfully so. He can play the 4th line role at 10 minutes per night and keep his letter. His leadership with the kids and others on this team is still held to a high standard and very valuable. You can't buy the leadership and experience Brindy has. Staal is the leader by circumstance, Brindy is the leader by experience and consistent work ethic.

An 'A' would be a nice compliment to Sutter, but either or, his game won't change from his 'approach standpoint'. I do have a small worry that Sutter may stumble next season, just a bit. He most certainly doesn't appear to be a player who would take too many steps back because the way he plays the game - simple (litterally, as we all know), with that said being the teams only legit 2nd line center behind Staal and wearing an 'A', I wouldn't want to dump too much on the kid too soon. I think he could handle it, but I have a couple worries aswell. Like I said, I am fairly cautious with giving young kids letters.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 07:15 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueline Bomber View Post
I don't know about Sutter getting a letter just yet. I'm all for it eventually, but somehow, having someone that young wear a letter simply doesn't seem like it'll work. Especially on a team that's got many players 10 years older than him.
I agree and I think there are various types of leadership, which sometimes are combined with certain players. For example, Francis and Brindy were quiet captains who led by example and actions. Then there are the more vocal leader who lead by their words. Finally, IMO, there are instructional leaders who become on-ice mentors sharing tips that are only learned via experience.

If there was a more veteran group of guys with letters for next year, then someone like Sutter should get some consideration. But with Staal still making the transition and the "A's" being somewhat unknown at this point, I think it's premature. One thing I've seen absent from Staal is the mentoring on the bench, which is an area someone like Whitney has always been strong in from my observation. When LaRose was breaking in, you would see Whitney constantly talking to him about routes and certain plays on shifts.

Maybe Staal takes on more of that kind of role but until he or someone else does, it's a missing key ingredient. You see Francis do it quite a bit but it's not the same, and he's not always behind the bench, as one of your teammates doing it.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 09:43 AM
Chrispy

Sutter will wear a letter someday, but he's behind Gleason on the heirarchy right now, and I'm not sure Gleason will be wearing an A next year. Maybe Whitney, Brindy, and Gleason go to a rotation.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispy View Post
Sutter will wear a letter someday, but he's behind Gleason on the heirarchy right now, and I'm not sure Gleason will be wearing an A next year. Maybe Whitney, Brindy, and Gleason go to a rotation.
This should have nothing to do with "heirarchy" or "slotting" that Rutherford likes so much. If there was a vote in the room right now, I'm virtually certain the two "A"s would go to Gleason and Sutter. I think any time you take something that is obvious to everyone and do something different, you run the risk of losing credibility. IMO, this is one of the major reasons that the Canes floundered to start the season. It was obvious to everybody involved that Sutter was our best player in camp, and there was no legit reason to send him down. Sending him down anyhow sent the wrong message, and more importantly, didn't put our best team on the ice. Trust me, that last part was very important to the players, even the guy who would have been the odd man out. The best players make the team. Period.

To give an "A" to somebody else on the pretense that Sutter somehow isn't ready, when it's obvious to everyone that he is, would be virtually the same thing.

For anybody who follows baseball, this should sound familiar with the Jason Heyward story going on right now in Atlanta. Heyward doesn't turn 21 until August and has only 208 plate appearances above A-ball. The Braves could have delayed Heyward’s arbitration and free agent clock by starting him in the minors. But he killed the ball this spring and forced the team's hand.

“But I don’t know how we could have faced our players or the fans if we had done that,” Braves GM Frank Wren said.

When a player is ready, he's ready, and you risk losing your veterans if you don't do the right thing.

Old
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Chrispy

I don't think it's anything about Sutter not being ready. But I think Gleason and Sutter are both ready, and if only one opens up I think Gleason gets it on his tenure with the club. I don't think less of Sutter; I am confident both of them will be in leadership roles on this team.

Whether Whitney and Brind'Amour retain As is the more important question, but I would be surprised to see either return without one. But like I said above, a rotation of the As could be used.

Chrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 11:40 AM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Staal with "C", Gleason with "A", no question. And we can rotate "A" - Ruutu, Kostopoulos and Sutter. I'm not sure Whitney and Brindy will be here next season.

imayagainknowanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:14 PM
WWAD

I think the Sutter fellating is getting a little out of control here. Somehow a 21 year old kid with 45 career points is now a future 100 pt. a year Captain of the Hurricanes?

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:04 AM
StormCast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
I think the Sutter fellating is getting a little out of control here. Somehow a 21 year old kid with 45 career points is now a future 100 pt. a year Captain of the Hurricanes?
Agreed and now that Bowman had his scoring breakout, look for the petition to get him penciled in on the top line next year.

StormCast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:39 AM
Sasha Cares
28 mph!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyMarkNC View Post
Disagree... The guy will be our 2nd line center for a lot of years to come... His smart play and hard work is something that will help our play and the locker room... No one has said he's a 100 pt scorer, but I also guarantee that you didn't think he'd score 20G this year... He's a future 60 point guy that could go 25/35 for a lot of years, while playing well in his own end...

Sasha Cares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:53 AM
Joe McGrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane_SVT View Post
Disagree... The guy will be our 2nd line center for a lot of years to come... His smart play and hard work is something that will help our play and the locker room... No one has said he's a 100 pt scorer, but I also guarantee that you didn't think he'd score 20G this year... He's a future 60 point guy that could go 25/35 for a lot of years, while playing well in his own end...

So......Rod Brind'Amour 2.0?

Joe McGrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:16 AM
AD Skinner

Isn't Brind'Amour 2.0 always what he was supposed to be? I may be wrong but I seem to remember people comparing Sutter to Brind'Amour a lot early on.

AD Skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:28 AM
totalkev

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoochNorris View Post
Isn't Brind'Amour 2.0 always what he was supposed to be? I may be wrong but I seem to remember people comparing Sutter to Brind'Amour a lot early on.
Every time I ever compared him to Brind'Amour, I got shot down with folks saying he'd never been that kind of offensive player.

Old
04-07-2010, 12:48 PM
WWAD

Sutter was only a .8 point per game guy in juniors, whereas Brindamour was about a 1.2 ppg guy. Don't get me wrong, I love the kid. But I think we are setting him up for failure with all these lofty expectations for next year.

WWAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:52 PM
DaveG
Mod Supervisor
How's the thesis?

vCash: 2498
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalkev View Post
Every time I ever compared him to Brind'Amour, I got shot down with folks saying he'd never been that kind of offensive player.
To be fair, 60 points isn't quite Brind'Amour type production. Or at least not post-lockout, pre-injury Brindy type production.

DaveG is offline   Reply With Quote