HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Seattle as reloaction destination?

Old
04-06-2010, 08:13 PM
Seaward*

vCash: 500
Having a NHL team would complete my dream move to Seattle!!

Seaward* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:56 PM
Powerforward17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Hockey Fan View Post
I think Milwaukee would be great. The Bradley center already hosts the Badger Hockey Challenge, has hosted 3 Frozen Fours (last in 06) and can fit 17,800 fans.

If Phoenix returns to Winnipeg, I predict that sunshine teams will start dropping like flies. I'd love to see teams in Portland and Seattle but Seattle needs an arena first.
Milwaukee is a natural for the NHL. However its not even 100 miles from Chicago. There would be a need to compensate the Blackhawks for moving into their territory. Not saying it can't be done like when the Islanders came in, but it would be a hurdle for any potential owner of the Milwaukee franchise.

Powerforward17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:16 PM
Hamilton Tigers

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2000 View Post
Milwaukee is a natural for the NHL. However its not even 100 miles from Chicago.
I dunno. 35th largest TV market in the U.S. and gate competition with the Bucks.

Seattle is the 13th largest TV market in the U.S., almost equal to Phoneix's, and now has no NBA competition for gate.

Yeah, I know...arena...

Hamilton Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:37 PM
Tommy Hawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Chris, I'll try to explain this to you again, as has been explained to you many times.

The AHL team's existence is a non-factor when it comes to the location of an NHL team in ANY arena. Even if the arena managers were to own the AHL team in question, an NHL team would unquestionably bring in more lease revenue for the facility owners/managers than an AHL lease ever could. Either the AHL team's lease with the existing arena already has a clause sweeping the AHL team aside if an NHL team comes, or the arena management would fall over themselves in the rush to pay off the remaining years on the lease... or they would simply give the priority dates to the NHL team, leaving the AHL team with a substandard schedule and no real choice in the matter but to find a place themselves to move.

Kindly stop trying to say that ANY market can't have an NHL team move into it just because of the existence of an AHL team. AHL teams are gnats to brush aside, as far as all parties are concerned, if an NHL team tenancy is a possibility.
True, except the people of Wisconsin do not support pro sports unless it is the Packers. They support he heck out of University of Wisconsin sports but they would never support a NHL hockey team. They didn't support the Madison Monsters, they do not support the Admirals, the Bucks, nor do they really even support the Brewers.

NHL in Milwaukee is not going to happen, not for the reason the first time - Wirtz being the bitter old man and would not let former Hawks announcer Bob Petit get a franchise - but because they would draw less fans than the Bucks. The Bucks are drawing 15,013 (http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance) in an 18,717 seat arena (80% of capacity) and they are a playoff team!!

I think that wherever the NHL does end up going with some of these franchises, it is clear their current location selection process and researching cities that would sustain a franchise has been flawed.

Tommy Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote