HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Notices

OT: Southern Hospitality; Chatty, chat, chat

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
04-07-2010, 11:37 AM
  #101
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
I'm altering this thread so it can become a general chat thread. Introductions and what ever this thread rambles into.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:53 AM
  #102
Adz
Registered User
 
Adz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Hermitage TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,216
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
That reminds me Chef, with the board change over I lost your fried chicken recipe. Can you PM me that? Seriously, that was the best thing on Earth.

(Yes, I am blanket statementing it with the BTS cake their Adzy. My Coca-Cola Cake is so good I nearly killed my Godfather with it and people asked me to make seconds right there in front of his face. )
Ah, but you haven't tasted my newest creation. It's a Grand Marnier cake and it's TRULY to die for.

Adz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:01 PM
  #103
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adz View Post
Ah, but you haven't tasted my newest creation. It's a Grand Marnier cake and it's TRULY to die for.
Would you like the recipe for "Metric ****ton" cake and "Imperial ********" cake?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:14 PM
  #104
Que Sera Sera
Registered User
 
Que Sera Sera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Ontario, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Que Sera Sera
So many off-topic threads all of a sudden. It'll be interesting to see where we stand in terms of forum activity by the end of the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device

Que Sera Sera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:46 PM
  #105
Steelhead16
Registered User
 
Steelhead16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Boise, ID
Country: United States
Posts: 1,543
vCash: 500
Didn't everyone abandon NP because there was too much nonsense?

Steelhead16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM
  #106
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,226
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Didn't everyone abandon NP because there was too much nonsense?
they reformatted the boards & it became impossible to navigate, so everyone said **** it, I'm oot ... just as long as ColdChicory doesn't find his way over here, I'm good

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
  #107
Bad Karma
Registered User
 
Bad Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Didn't everyone abandon NP because there was too much nonsense?
Pretty much before the format change turned everyone else away.

Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:00 PM
  #108
Drake744
Unregistered User
 
Drake744's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,341
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelhead16 View Post
Didn't everyone abandon NP because there was too much nonsense?
I left because no one posts there anymore.

Drake744 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
  #109
Bad Karma
Registered User
 
Bad Karma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
People still post there. Not everyone abandoned ship due to the format change. Some actually tried to make things work.


Last edited by Bad Karma: 04-07-2010 at 02:18 PM.
Bad Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
  #110
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
I pretty much left when the boards became a cluster. Either way, we aren't going to go ALL the way to NP but it would be nice to give HF some personality.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:21 PM
  #111
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,370
vCash: 50
the np boards were still ok before the changeover to KickApps. yeah, people came and went and got mad at each other and there were definitely "factions" but there was enough legit posting that the petty crap mostly got drowned out. The "Observations" thread was still vibrant and the social side was useful for those who wanted that kind of function. I did like the fact that there were whole different forums for hockey vs social posting. And the PM system was useful and widely used.

The KickApps came and it became extremely difficult to navigate. And I also believe the horribly inefficient personal messaging on kickapps was just as responsible for the breakdown of the "old group" of regulars.

I still post there, and we have started to get a new poster here and there, and if they ever solve the page speed issues that board may yet have a renaissence... only time will tell.

but for now, I am enjoying this board. I mean no offense to the previous mods but with Slake and BFC in charge this forum seems much more receptive to those with, shall we say, less than a professorial level of hockey knowledge than used to be the case

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
  #112
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight Oil View Post
So many off-topic threads all of a sudden. It'll be interesting to see where we stand in terms of forum activity by the end of the playoffs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just hit the ignore thread button....really it's only three threads

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:35 PM
  #113
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
In the end, we want this to be the PREMIER boards for the Preds fans. We want to draw in more fans. We want to create more fans. And as the years go by our numbers will grow. When we need a 3rd moderator, that's a sign of success for me.

Now: for those NPers who think this will transform HF into NP. No way. We are a hockey forum but a couple of years ago this was a stiff minded place that smacked down sillyness. But, to go along with the evolution of the knowledge of the Preds fans, we will evolve with you. the knowledge of the fanbase has grown a lot. We are truly becoming hockey fans. With that, there still is a need for a personality.

We won't be as silly as NP. No politics thread, but there is a politics section on this message board. Slake is more of the mindset of an HF, and let's face it, Volde got it right. "You're friggin nuts, clown boy" is about right for me. The hope is for a balance.

There is only two more threads I can think of from old NP boards I would like to see here. BUT no one can post these other than Joe Houk. He knows which two threads I'm talking about and I'll be waiting.

SLake and I have been pretty leanant when it comes to the HF rules but most of us know each other so the leeway is important. BUT just because we have these OT threads DOES NOT give you guys to ignore the rules about Moderator Abuse. SLake and I will judge what silly fun and what is BS abuse. I have a thick skin, I've needed it, so playful banter with me is ok. SLake will have to chime in to note what's ok with him.

And note, we will be watching, but frankly it will be mostly to see who can be the 3rd moderator.

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:47 PM
  #114
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
I think the most important thing to keep these boards "right" is keeping the game day threads on track/topic. Most other threads don't last that long anyway.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:57 PM
  #115
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conando View Post
they reformatted the boards & it became impossible to navigate, so everyone said **** it, I'm oot ... just as long as ColdChicory doesn't find his way over here, I'm good
That's funny. No one battle with him more than me and I truely wouldn't mind him posting over here. You might disagree with him and sometimes he did take it too far (rememeber when he was going to kick my butt) but he kept it mostly to hockey.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:03 PM
  #116
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,920
vCash: 500
Simple rule: If you have to insult the person you are debating with, you lost the debate.

Bring facts not hate. People have the right to debelieve in what you believe in but if they are going to push the issue bring facts.

I'm not asking for the boards to become the Lincoln Douglass debates but think before you post. It's like posting while drunk......only fools would do that. :O)

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:08 PM
  #117
nine_inch_fang
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Spring Hill, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 1,506
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to nine_inch_fang
ah the biggest problem with him is that you can't have a normal conversation about anything without him coming in and complaining about the same old things taking every thread off topic. That and he's never around when things are going good.

nine_inch_fang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:45 PM
  #118
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
In the end, we want this to be the PREMIER boards for the Preds fans. We want to draw in more fans. We want to create more fans. And as the years go by our numbers will grow. When we need a 3rd moderator, that's a sign of success for me.

Now: for those NPers who think this will transform HF into NP. No way. We are a hockey forum but a couple of years ago this was a stiff minded place that smacked down sillyness. But, to go along with the evolution of the knowledge of the Preds fans, we will evolve with you. the knowledge of the fanbase has grown a lot. We are truly becoming hockey fans. With that, there still is a need for a personality.

We won't be as silly as NP. No politics thread, but there is a politics section on this message board. Slake is more of the mindset of an HF, and let's face it, Volde got it right. "You're friggin nuts, clown boy" is about right for me. The hope is for a balance.

There is only two more threads I can think of from old NP boards I would like to see here. BUT no one can post these other than Joe Houk. He knows which two threads I'm talking about and I'll be waiting.

SLake and I have been pretty leanant when it comes to the HF rules but most of us know each other so the leeway is important. BUT just because we have these OT threads DOES NOT give you guys to ignore the rules about Moderator Abuse. SLake and I will judge what silly fun and what is BS abuse. I have a thick skin, I've needed it, so playful banter with me is ok. SLake will have to chime in to note what's ok with him.

And note, we will be watching, but frankly it will be mostly to see who can be the 3rd moderator.
I agree. BFC and I became mods here a few days apart and have had multiple discussions about different ideas to get more people out of the "lurking" mode and increase participation. The major area we have always identified was trying to increase the social aspect of the community and make it a less rigid "hockey only" format. There was a place for that earlier, but with the decline of other forums for various reasons, we want this to be a great place for all those that have been displaced to land and participate...

For the most part, BFC and I have been around the boards long enough to know most of you and we respect the individuality of each of you and believe it's that diversity that makes our fan base such a great place to be. We don't want to do anything to take away that individuality, but do realize that there are rules here that have to be enforced for the benefit of everyone and will take action when needed. There are no set guidelines on how we will act and each incident will be evaluated on it's own merits, but generally I think we believe that an informal warning via PM for first time offenses should be all that is needed in most cases. Anything above that is generally something that has been clearly earned.

A great feature here that I want to point out to everyone is the "Report Post" feature in the lower left corner of each message beneath the user's name and information. This is the triangular white button with a red exclamation point inside. Clicking on this will report the post via e-mail to the moderator's board where it will generally still be handled by us, but could also be dealt with by a global moderator or administrator. Due to the presence of moderators from all over the world, this feature allows for 24/7/365 moderation and should be used whenever you feel that there is a post that requires our attention.

Largely for the most part, we will simply be in the background. BFC and I regularly participate in the community and that's about as much as we want. Adding OT threads allows for general chit-chat and I do ask that other threads be kept largely on-topic, but don't feel that a quick comment or two between friends is thread-jacking...just don't keep threads alive for the sole purpose of chatting in them or intentionally take the thread off-track to fit whatever agenda. We will regularly update thread titles to keep them on-track and accurate so that you know what you're looking at when you get in there, but...

All in all, feel free to kick back and relax. Enjoy the forums! I highly encourage you to check out the other boards, but also hope to continue to see the growth of our own board and a steady increase of Predators related discussion...

Lastly, as BFC said, it will be a great day when we need to add a third mod on this board and I think we can all agree on that...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:46 PM
  #119
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine_inch_fang View Post
ah the biggest problem with him is that you can't have a normal conversation about anything without him coming in and complaining about the same old things taking every thread off topic. That and he's never around when things are going good.
The phrase I think I use more than any other when "editing" posts is "attack the thought, not the poster..." As long as we all respect that, I think we will all get along here...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
  #120
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,989
vCash: 500
Screw that, I'm joking on all you bioches.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:25 PM
  #121
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
I like the idea of making this forum more personal, I think it makes for a better community. Having a few off topic threads helps us to get to know each other as more than hockey fans, which is really nice.

Also, what's with this forum and real names? I've been on my share of forums over the years and after a while, everyone knows everyone else's real names. It feels so impersonal to constantly refer to each other by some username. Maybe you guys are just paranoid, but I prefer to be called by my name, especially because Sab.er will forever be spelled wrong.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:27 PM
  #122
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Nashville
Country: United States
Posts: 16,989
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I like the idea of making this forum more personal, I think it makes for a better community. Having a few off topic threads helps us to get to know each other as more than hockey fans, which is really nice.

Also, what's with this forum and real names? I've been on my share of forums over the years and after a while, everyone knows everyone else's real names. It feels so impersonal to constantly refer to each other by some username. Maybe you guys are just paranoid, but I prefer to be called by my name, especially because Sab.er will forever be spelled wrong.
How do you know triggrman is not my real name! Who told you!

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:29 PM
  #123
quoth the Raven
Anders Lindback Fan
 
quoth the Raven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Smashville
Country: United States
Posts: 775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
How do you know triggrman is not my real name! Who told you!
I am not at liberty to reveal my sources.

quoth the Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:30 PM
  #124
JohniusMaximus
Digging the Sarchasm
 
JohniusMaximus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Middle TN
Country: United States
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
I agree. BFC and I became mods here a few days apart and have had multiple discussions about different ideas to get more people out of the "lurking" mode and increase participation. The major area we have always identified was trying to increase the social aspect of the community and make it a less rigid "hockey only" format. There was a place for that earlier, but with the decline of other forums for various reasons, we want this to be a great place for all those that have been displaced to land and participate...

For the most part, BFC and I have been around the boards long enough to know most of you and we respect the individuality of each of you and believe it's that diversity that makes our fan base such a great place to be. We don't want to do anything to take away that individuality, but do realize that there are rules here that have to be enforced for the benefit of everyone and will take action when needed. There are no set guidelines on how we will act and each incident will be evaluated on it's own merits, but generally I think we believe that an informal warning via PM for first time offenses should be all that is needed in most cases. Anything above that is generally something that has been clearly earned.

A great feature here that I want to point out to everyone is the "Report Post" feature in the lower left corner of each message beneath the user's name and information. This is the triangular white button with a red exclamation point inside. Clicking on this will report the post via e-mail to the moderator's board where it will generally still be handled by us, but could also be dealt with by a global moderator or administrator. Due to the presence of moderators from all over the world, this feature allows for 24/7/365 moderation and should be used whenever you feel that there is a post that requires our attention.

Largely for the most part, we will simply be in the background. BFC and I regularly participate in the community and that's about as much as we want. Adding OT threads allows for general chit-chat and I do ask that other threads be kept largely on-topic, but don't feel that a quick comment or two between friends is thread-jacking...just don't keep threads alive for the sole purpose of chatting in them or intentionally take the thread off-track to fit whatever agenda. We will regularly update thread titles to keep them on-track and accurate so that you know what you're looking at when you get in there, but...

All in all, feel free to kick back and relax. Enjoy the forums! I highly encourage you to check out the other boards, but also hope to continue to see the growth of our own board and a steady increase of Predators related discussion...

Lastly, as BFC said, it will be a great day when we need to add a third mod on this board and I think we can all agree on that...
Me likey! Sounds good.

JohniusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
  #125
PredsV82
Puckaroni and cheese
 
PredsV82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Outside
Country: Scotland
Posts: 12,370
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreTooth3539 View Post
I like the idea of making this forum more personal, I think it makes for a better community. Having a few off topic threads helps us to get to know each other as more than hockey fans, which is really nice.

Also, what's with this forum and real names? I've been on my share of forums over the years and after a while, everyone knows everyone else's real names. It feels so impersonal to constantly refer to each other by some username. Maybe you guys are just paranoid, but I prefer to be called by my name, especially because Sab.er will forever be spelled wrong.
many of us know eachother in the real world and know each others names but respect each others privacy and stick with screennames for posting purposes. There are some real weird/bad people, sadly... and if they know someones real name, you end up getting phone calls at your house and such...


Last edited by PredsV82: 04-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.
PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:01 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.