HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

NY Tri-state area players: Is there any way this is feasible?

Old
04-06-2010, 03:36 PM
sousuffer

vCash: 500
NY Tri-state area players: Is there any way this is feasible?

New Jersey is a tough state for a goalie to get in a very competitive league. There aren't many A and B leagues (and you usually need to be friends with someone) and I've been searching around for a while, and currently the only men's league that has a goalie opening is at Aviator sports in Brooklyn. I currently work in New Brunswick and the games in the league I wish to join run from 7:30 until 12:30 Tuesdays through Thursdays. I would have to take Route 18 south to the Turnpike to the outerbridge to the verazano (with no traffic, it's a 40 minute trip). I am willing to drive a decent distance for a game (usually my upper limit is an hour), but I'm asking an honest assessment...is this idea too insane? I was hoping maybe someone has some experience with this commute (or something similar) before at a similar time and might be able to help me out...is this just a really bad idea?

sousuffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 03:58 PM
Pog Form

I'm not a goalie, and I don't live in your area, but I'll chime in anyway.

It's really about how bad you want to play. I've played in leagues where I had to commute 1 hr+ each way by public transit because I didn't have a car. Add the time it took to get dressed, undressed, shower, etc., and it was about a 4.5-hour commitment for three 12-minute periods of hockey (about 18 minutes of ice time). I don't regret it one bit. Might think twice about doing it again, lol, but it was worth it.

Pog Form is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 04:15 PM
Headcoach

Send a message via AIM to Headcoach Send a message via MSN to Headcoach Send a message via Yahoo to Headcoach
Quote:
Originally Posted by sousuffer View Post
New Jersey is a tough state for a goalie to get in a very competitive league. There aren't many A and B leagues (and you usually need to be friends with someone) and I've been searching around for a while, and currently the only men's league that has a goalie opening is at Aviator sports in Brooklyn. I currently work in New Brunswick and the games in the league I wish to join run from 7:30 until 12:30 Tuesdays through Thursdays. I would have to take Route 18 south to the Turnpike to the outerbridge to the verazano (with no traffic, it's a 40 minute trip). I am willing to drive a decent distance for a game (usually my upper limit is an hour), but I'm asking an honest assessment...is this idea too insane? I was hoping maybe someone has some experience with this commute (or something similar) before at a similar time and might be able to help me out...is this just a really bad idea?
Ok, before I make any recommendations, how old are you? I played goalie for several years and a goalie coach for 15 years before I became a Head coach.

Let me know!
Head Coach

04-06-2010, 06:31 PM
gluvhand

Have you tried Hackensack or the rink in Wayne?

gluvhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:54 PM
RangersAM99

well where do you live? there is a rink in Woodbridge and a rink down in farmingdale, you could try and see if some teams need some openings

RangersAM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:01 PM
sousuffer

re:

So to address, the first response...the key to this is exactly where the route takes me...we're talking traffic that varies anywhere between 0 and 2 hours extra time to get there...so there's a chance I'd have to give myself enough time to get there every time in the event it takes 2 hours longer than it should- or else I'd miss the game. As for the other posters....I'm 28, I live near Bridgewater, Hackensack is impossible to get into unless you play in the lower league (like D level). Woodbridge's rink collapsed during a blizzard, and I have called Farmingdale but I don't think they have any openings.

Old
04-06-2010, 10:35 PM
Hobgoblin Steve
Bacon of Light

While I've never played in a league at Aviator (open hockey only) I have heard nothing but good things from people I know who play there in leagues. I don't think you would be disappointed.

I actually was going to be commuting to Chelsea via public transportation myself to play, since I don't drive. It would have taken me somewhere between an hour and an an hour and a half to get there, but I really wanted to do it. Then I tore my ACL.

Hobgoblin Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:25 AM
Axxion89

I live on Staten Island and have made the drive you outlined many a time and I would say unless you have the $$, don't do it!

You're gonna pay the Outerbridge, Verrazzano, and Turnpike tolls which will add up to about 17 bucks a trip back and forth! Not to mention gas

Also don't forget traffic so you will have to leave early and put up with it which sucks hard!

Axxion89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:10 AM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
So to address, the first response...the key to this is exactly where the route takes me...we're talking traffic that varies anywhere between 0 and 2 hours extra time to get there...so there's a chance I'd have to give myself enough time to get there every time in the event it takes 2 hours longer than it should- or else I'd miss the game. As for the other posters....I'm 28, I live near Bridgewater, Hackensack is impossible to get into unless you play in the lower league (like D level). Woodbridge's rink collapsed during a blizzard, and I have called Farmingdale but I don't think they have any openings.
I was just at the woodbridge rink last week, and I don't think it was collapsed??
Also did u try the oldbridge rink?
Posted via Mobile Device

Swagelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:51 AM
sousuffer

You're right it wasn't Woodbridge, it was another rink near there...I was in contact with the Woodbridge league head and they mentioned there was nothing available. I will try Old Bridge- thanks for the advice- I forgot about them. I've actually been trying to get into the Grundy league (Bristol, PA) for 2 years now with no luck. And Axxion89, that's exactly why I asked...I figured the traffic makes this commute impossible (or merely insane). Thanks for the feedback. By the way, if anyone needs a goalie for an A or B league (or knows someone who does) please PM me. I'm 28 and played D3 club (and have gotten better since then). Thanks.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:10 AM
vivianmb

Quote:
You're right it wasn't Woodbridge, it was another rink near there...I was in contact with the Woodbridge league head and they mentioned there was nothing available. I will try Old Bridge- thanks for the advice- I forgot about them. I've actually been trying to get into the Grundy league (Bristol, PA) for 2 years now with no luck. And Axxion89, that's exactly why I asked...I figured the traffic makes this commute impossible (or merely insane). Thanks for the feedback. By the way, if anyone needs a goalie for an A or B league (or knows someone who does) please PM me. I'm 28 and played D3 club (and have gotten better since then). Thanks.
how far is allentown,pa for you?they have two nice rinks. ice palace, and leighigh valley arena.ice palace used to have a great league.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 09:15 AM
sousuffer

Allentown is about an hour (which is fine by me)....I couldn't find a website for Ice Palace...and lehigh has the geezer league, which is low level. Do you know of anyone in Ice palace that needs a goalie? Or perhaps you know of a way to contact the rink? The number posted on the internet doesn't work. Thanks.

Edit: Old bridge is closed for the summer.

Last edited by sousuffer: 04-07-2010 at 09:21 AM.
Old
04-07-2010, 09:59 AM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Allentown is about an hour (which is fine by me)....I couldn't find a website for Ice Palace...and lehigh has the geezer league, which is low level. Do you know of anyone in Ice palace that needs a goalie? Or perhaps you know of a way to contact the rink? The number posted on the internet doesn't work. Thanks.

i would definitely try and go out to the woodbridge community center and see if any teams need an opening

edit: i didn't read one of your posts from above, maybe you should try going a bit north? maybe the mennon arena? maybe floyd hall on the montclair state university campus. definitely try protec ponds, its in somerset NJ here is the website: http://www.protechockey.com/protec/i...page&Itemid=28

Last edited by RangersAM99: 04-07-2010 at 10:08 AM.
Old
04-07-2010, 10:12 AM
vivianmb

Quote:

i havent been to the ice palace since about 1997. i tried www.arenamaps.com and they dont even list the ice palace anymore. maybe it closed? there is an " allentown sports and entertainment center" listed though.try arenamaps though. it will give a list of the rinks in any given area.good luck.

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:07 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
i would definitely try and go out to the woodbridge community center and see if any teams need an opening

edit: i didn't read one of your posts from above, maybe you should try going a bit north? maybe the mennon arena? maybe floyd hall on the montclair state university campus. definitely try protec ponds, its in somerset NJ here is the website: http://www.protechockey.com/protec/i...page&Itemid=28
Mennan arena has no league, floyd hall has a D-level league, and the guy at Protec ponds told me I would be bored in the league they have there right now but he'd keep my number once they grew some more. I do appreciate the heads up though.

Old
04-07-2010, 01:21 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

When u say u contacted woodbridge, your talking about the community center right?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-07-2010, 01:25 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAB0RIK View Post
When u say u contacted woodbridge, your talking about the community center right?
Posted via Mobile Device
Is that United Skates of America?

Old
04-07-2010, 01:29 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
http://www.redbankarmory.com
I think their spring session just started, there's a chance you could jump on a team.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:32 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
http://www.redbankarmory.com
I think their spring session just started, there's a chance you could jump on a team.
Haha I tried them as well...3 times...still waiting for a call back. Will try again today.

Old
04-07-2010, 01:50 PM
Swagelin
aka Bienvenue a ny

Quote:
Is that United Skates of America?
Yes. You probably already called them was just making sure u meant woodbridge community center
Posted via Mobile Device

Old
04-07-2010, 03:53 PM
RangersAM99

Quote:
Mennan arena has no league, floyd hall has a D-level league, and the guy at Protec ponds told me I would be bored in the league they have there right now but he'd keep my number once they grew some more. I do appreciate the heads up though.
well the two other rinks i would suggest is the ocean ice palace down in brick township and winding river down in toms river, both are a bit of a drive if you life up north

Old
04-07-2010, 04:00 PM
Heat McManus

What level have you played at before?

Heat McManus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:02 PM
sousuffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangersAM99 View Post
well the two other rinks i would suggest is the ocean ice palace down in brick township and winding river down in toms river, both are a bit of a drive if you life up north
Yeah I'm still shooting for ocean ice palace...toms river rink might be too far...it's about 80 minutes with no traffic.

Old
04-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
Winding River really isn't much worse of a drive in the summer. If you're going to hit traffic going to Ocean you'll hit the same traffic going to Toms River. Of course if the play is similar, choose ocean.

I haven't played there in years, hopefully it smells better than when I was in HS.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 11:51 PM
night-timer

In my league, we play at five rinks. The nearest is about 45 minutes away by public transport. The next is an hour away, then the three others are around two hours away.

I go to all of them. I don't have a car. I have a motorbike, but no current licence, and I have never taken all my gear on the bike anyway. Carrying the stick would be the hardest part.

I may get a car later this year, but I only need it for hockey and buying a car solely for recreational hockey is a serious expenditure.

Having said all of that, I doubt that most people would go to the time and trouble that I do to play. Also, some of the rinks aren't in the nicest parts of town and I have to walk around with all my gear.

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote