HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal statistically best defensive dman in NHL this season

Old
04-07-2010, 10:50 PM
Carlos Ranger
Zucc-a-Rella

vCash: 50
Marc Staal statistically best defensive dman in NHL this season

Those familiar with James Mirtle know he always has some great stat breakdowns. The winner of his fictional Rod Langway Award for best defensive defenseman for this season is Staal.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sport...rticle1527022/

Dan Girardi is also #28.

Carlos Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:01 PM
Banks3rdLineCenter

vCash: 500
Mirtle is the best, I've been following his stuff since he started. He's been awesome at the Globe and Mail.

He recently did a similar analysis for defensive forwards in which Blair Betts was rated number one. Gomez was 3, Dubinsky was 7, Drury was 30.

Banks3rdLineCenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:05 PM
haveandare

Just think of what rank he'd be if Torts didnt ruin him

haveandare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:09 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Just think of what rank he'd be if Torts didnt ruin him
Haha, just what I was going to say. That thread looks so damn retarded right now

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:12 PM
trilobyte

Stutter steps.

Earlier this season, Marc made some ill-advised offensive forays and got caught up ice.
All I could think was that he was trying to improve, doing the growth thing that everyone expects. Yeah, like a Larry Robinson or a Langway, learning how to play right in front of us all.

Marc Staal is commanding. He battles guys, comes out with the puck or if he does not, recognizes where the play is headed.

And seeing his family genetics come through when he goes on the offense, why the surprise? Of course he will be very very good, he's a Staal.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:18 PM
ThirdEye

Quote:
Originally Posted by trilobyte View Post
Stutter steps.

Earlier this season, Marc made some ill-advised offensive forays and got caught up ice.
All I could think was that he was trying to improve, doing the growth thing that everyone expects. Yeah, like a Larry Robinson or a Langway, learning how to play right in front of us all.

Marc Staal is commanding. He battles guys, comes out with the puck or if he does not, recognizes where the play is headed.

And seeing his family genetics come through when he goes on the offense, why the surprise? Of course he will be very very good, he's a Staal.
I also noticed that he hardly ever gets beat one on one and is in proper position 99% of the time.

This is only true of the last 50 or so games though. He did struggle in the beginning.

ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:21 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

Man, that Girardi, he's the worst defenseman on the team...

WhipNash27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:41 PM
RMcDonagh
New York Rangers Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 View Post
Man, that Girardi, he's the worst defenseman on the team...
K, I'm a Marc Staal fanboy. Seriously. My favorite player.

However, this is just a bunch of stupid stats thrown together, it really doesn't prove anything. And we know whole-heartedly that Marc Staal is not the best defensive defensemen in the NHL, this year or any year. Maybe soon. But not now.

Girardi ranked 28th is also funny considering he's absolutely terrible.

Is Wade Redden ranked 56th?

Who the hell cares.

RMcDonagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:42 PM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Not to be a buzz kill, but...Tom Poti is ranked #30.

I don't know how seriously I can take these rankings haha.

On a happier note though, Staal has been great. He is turning into a really, really solid guy for us. I think he could definitely be a 40-50 point guy in his prime, and he is the kind of defensive Dman teams die for. Great to see him ranked #1, even if it's not the most...concrete stat.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 View Post
Not to be a buzz kill, but...Tom Poti is ranked #30.

I don't know how seriously I can take these rankings haha.

On a happier note though, Staal has been great. He is turning into a really, really solid guy for us. I think he could definitely be a 40-50 point guy in his prime, and he is the kind of defensive Dman teams die for. Great to see him ranked #1, even if it's not the most...concrete stat.
Poti has been pretty decent since joining the Capitals.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:44 PM
trilobyte

Yes, he did struggle in expanding his role offensively.

No pain, no gain, I guess. At least, that's how I view it.

Lately when I watch Marc closely, I just see so much self-confidence. It's like his game is taking off with his realization of what he can do.

trilobyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:46 PM
KotsyJr
49ERS/NYR/RAPS/JAYS

Been very good as of late. As people have noted, he was putrid at the beginning of the season. I'm liking his play though lately. Even been a tad more physical than usual in the last few weeks.

All these statistical analysis things have to be taken with a grain of salt as well. There's a football site that does stuff like this and some things have been crazy on there. I remember my Niners CB, Tarrell Brown was on a top 10 list for something (good of course). Solid player, but uh... yeah.

KotsyJr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:54 PM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Honestly this took me by surprise at first but after thinking about it for awhile, I can actually see why.

You rarely hear Marc Staals name in the context of a goal allowed or making a questionable/"not sure" play (sam and joe's way of saying bad) and that is actually a good thing. When you do hear his name it is always positive. And he's a quiet guy. Usually the quiet guys are quiet because they do their job, perhaps not with much flash or pizazz, but they do what they're supposed to and get it done. I'm very happy he's on our team and this may be an interesting website to show those haters in the "which staal is the best" thread on the main nhl board.

I am surprised Girardi is there maybe playing with Staal inflates his numbers

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:57 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Mike Mottau is #27.

Pretty much discredits this analysis right there.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:11 AM
Carl Hagelins Flow
Flow Status: AMAZING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY View Post
Mike Mottau is #27.

You didn't read the caveat in the written part of the article talking about defensive pairs and NJD-type defense systems inflate the numbers inevitably.

Carl Hagelins Flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRfan89 View Post
You didn't read the caveat in the written part of the article talking about defensive pairs and NJD-type defense systems inflate the numbers inevitably.
I did. I am also a fervent believer that it is impossible to correctly or accurate gauge defensive ability through stats. You can get hints or very general ideas, but usually you have to watch each individual player and even then some of the distinctions are so minor its impossible to rank.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:25 AM
HVPOLARBEARS19

Send a message via AIM to HVPOLARBEARS19 Send a message via MSN to HVPOLARBEARS19
Quote:
I did. I am also a fervent believer that it is impossible to correctly or accurate gauge defensive ability through stats. You can get hints or very general ideas, but usually you have to watch each individual player and even then some of the distinctions are so minor its impossible to rank.
I completely agree. So much of what makes a player great defensively cannot be measured by a stat, even if they invented one, such as keeping a player to the outside of the ice, and not allowing a lane, even if a successful poke check/hit etc. wasn't made, or sliding in front of a shot to block it, even if the player didn't end up shooting but instead had to hold onto the puck and was forced to try to do something else with it.

Stuff like that, no matter what stats are created, cannot be quantified.

HVPOLARBEARS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:29 AM
bobbop
Henrik's Pop

Correlates with a study a while back that had Staal and Girardi 4th and 6th in the league in terms of playing time against top forwards.

bobbop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:45 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Post this on the main NHL board, and see what people say. Not that I believe you can disagree with stats, but Staal has never gotten an ounce of appreciation from anyone outside the Rangers board.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:56 AM
Tawnos
A guy with a bass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Post this on the main NHL board, and see what people say. Not that I believe you can disagree with stats, but Staal has never gotten an ounce of appreciation from anyone outside the Rangers board.
Why don't you go look at the main board yourself? There's a thread up there with some people giving Staal some credit.

Despite the fact that the statistical interpretation is enormously flawed, the list doesn't have any real GLARING omissions and maybe only one really strange name on it. (Mike Mottau??) I'd say that's a decent representation of the top 30 defensive D in the league.

Tawnos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 12:57 AM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Mike Mottau is #27.

Our board likes to jump all over Mottau but to be honest he is a third pairing defensemen playing top pairing minutes all season with the injury of Paul Martin. He was also awarded the "Players Player" award from his teammates because he has been solid for us this year. With that being said Colin White is not the 13th best defenseman in the league or what ever he is ranked. That list gives you a good idea of guys having a solid season but I wouldn't look too far into it. There's much more to being a defender then stats. What about all the forced turnovers and takeaways? How do you measure broken up 2 on 1's and things of that nature.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:04 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Why don't you go look at the main board yourself? There's a thread up there with some people giving Staal some credit.

Despite the fact that the statistical interpretation is enormously flawed, the list doesn't have any real GLARING omissions and maybe only one really strange name on it. (Mike Mottau??) I'd say that's a decent representation of the top 30 defensive D in the league.
We're on different wavelengths. What I am saying is that only the people who watch Staal on a consistent basis understand how good he is. I agree that he should be near the top of that list, Staal is my favorite player, I'm just saying the only word I have seen non-ranger fans pair Staal with on this board is "overrated".

Old
04-08-2010, 01:09 AM
HeaveHo94
PSN: NYC_RANGERS_94

Late APRILS fools joke

HeaveHo94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:12 AM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB30104 View Post
Our board likes to jump all over Mottau but to be honest he is a third pairing defensemen playing top pairing minutes all season with the injury of Paul Martin. He was also awarded the "Players Player" award from his teammates because he has been solid for us this year. With that being said Colin White is not the 13th best defenseman in the league or what ever he is ranked. That list gives you a good idea of guys having a solid season but I wouldn't look too far into it. There's much more to being a defender then stats. What about all the forced turnovers and takeaways? How do you measure broken up 2 on 1's and things of that nature.
Very true. For the record I don't think Mottau is a bad defenseman. I think he is underrated in the way like you said, he is playing minutes over his head. Kind of like a certain player that rhymes with Gan Dirardi.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:41 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

I love Mirtle, but both the defensive forward list, as well as this one, do not prove anything. LOL @ Gomez being the third best defensive forward in the league.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote