HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kovalchuk's defensive play

Old
04-06-2010, 08:21 AM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Saugus
His defence is steadily getting better, but he will never be up to the standard of the prototypical two-way Devils forward.

And that's fine, that's not what he's here for. We have plenty of other players to play defence. I'm willing to settle for him not being a liability, being able to play some positional defence, and actively trying to clear the puck, not floating around waiting for a pass.

He does have some frustrating turnovers at bad times that lead to prime scoring chances for the other team, that's the only real negative, I'd say.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:36 AM
BenedictGomez
1995/2000/2003

He's probably been a tiny bit better than most expected. My biggest frustration are that his 1 vs 5 rushes (which never work) put needless pressure on the defense after he turns over the puck. It really needs to stop.

BenedictGomez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
I think we're all surprised by that. You know in Atlanta he'd probably NEVER have been asked to play defense. Obviously here he has to try and he's surprising all of us with everything he does. He's pretty much as complete of a player as Parise is. I'll really be torn up if he isn't resigned.
Everyone is asked to play some level of defense. Especially a team captain. Your Parise comment is ridiculous.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:20 PM
Roomtemperature

The one thing I like is in the more recent games he is getting more physical. So that should be a good sign for when the playoffs start on his play level.

Roomtemperature is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 12:57 PM
Adam Larsson

vCash: 892
The two things that have suprised me the most about Kovy's game are: passing ability and defensive ability- or at least his willingness to try and play defense.

The guy looks more and more comfortable in every game he plays for us. If he does decide to sign long term here I am not worried at all about him improving his defensive play. Which should be the least of our worries anyway.

Adam Larsson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 01:27 PM
JerryGigantic
Respect Patrik

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elias to Parise View Post
The two things that have suprised me the most about Kovy's game are: passing ability and defensive ability- or at least his willingness to try and play defense.

The guy looks more and more comfortable in every game he plays for us. If he does decide to sign long term here I am not worried at all about him improving his defensive play. Which should be the least of our worries anyway.
Well, I agree with one of those statements.

Kovy doesn't so much play defense as occasionally get pissed off and race back to break up plays out of sheer anger and determination.

Other than that, he tends to float and his defensive positioning sucks, so he will rely on reaching with his stick, if he does anything at all.

I love Kovy, even bought his throwback jersey, and want him to re-sign more than anything, but my eyes don't lie.

What has surprised me to some extent, having seen Kovy play many, many times on the Thrash, is that his passing ability is every bit as world class as his ability to score himself. And, at least as a Devil, he is incredibly unselfish, almost too unselfish, looking to create plays for others at least as much as he looks to create his own shot (both of which he does breathtakingly well.)

He is much, much more of a "team" guy than I projected after seeing him play on a team designed entirely around him, and that really makes me respect him all the more.

He has always been one of my favorite players because of his incredible talents, but seeing some more of his personality has brought him to an all-time favorite type of level.

Whether he resigns here or not, he has really shown me something.

JerryGigantic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:27 AM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Lou will get it done : Kovy will be a Devil. Only question is for How long?

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:38 AM
Crimson Devil*

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
Lou will get it done : Kovy will be a Devil. Only question is for How long?
IMO, it'll either be a few days before July 1st, or the afternoon of July 1st. Kovy just might test FA, but that doesn't mean he won't resign with us. I mean, Elias tested it and was loyal.

I'll be optimistic and assume that he'll talk to Marty and Elias about it a little and they'll play a big role in him staying.

Maybe we can sign Afinogenov to a cheap deal to make staying more appealing to Kovy?

Last edited by Crimson Devil*: 04-07-2010 at 12:45 AM.
Crimson Devil* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:53 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Devil View Post
IMO, it'll either be a few days before July 1st, or the afternoon of July 1st. Kovy just might test FA, but that doesn't mean he won't resign with us. I mean, Elias tested it and was loyal.

I'll be optimistic and assume that he'll talk to Marty and Elias about it a little and they'll play a big role in him staying.

Maybe we can sign Afinogenov to a cheap deal to make staying more appealing to Kovy?
Waive Peters and let Nieds walk. That's 1.5 million right there. I don't think Mad Max would be a good fit for us. He's probably going to look for a raise after his surprising season. The skill is there but is his effort? I wouldn't mind him signing for a million and let him play with Kovy though.

Kovalchuk - Zubrus/Elias - Afinogenov

We need one defensively responsible forward with them. Elias isn't too good at center yet.

It's going to be tough to resign Kovy and Martin let alone grabbing anyone else.

Oroku Saki* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:59 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

I don't want Afinogenov anywhere near this team.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:02 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
i dont give a flying **** about whether or not hes awesome or still learning the defensive game. thats not his role. you dont buy a porsche to drive 35. and so what if it eats gas? what would sammy hagar think? i rest my case.

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
I don't want Afinogenov anywhere near this team.
He has the wheels to keep up with Kovy and they have great chemistry. I'd consider it if he'd sign for 1 million.

He has 61 points, 24 goals 37 assists and he's only signed for 750,000.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:11 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

He has ridiculously inconsistent effort. Mercurial is the best word for it. Let the Rangers deal with nonsense like that (Zherdev, Lisin, etc.), we want nothing but hard workers here.

And he doesn't know what defence means. One player like that is enough.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:13 PM
åboriginal
lou ****ing sucks

Send a message via MSN to åboriginal
wait, someone quick enough and tiny? oh i dunno...

taydenboo?

åboriginal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 11:17 PM
Oroku Saki*
Pete Hearts Volch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
He has ridiculously inconsistent effort. Mercurial is the best word for it. Let the Rangers deal with nonsense like that (Zherdev, Lisin, etc.), we want nothing but hard workers here.

And he doesn't know what defence means. One player like that is enough.
I don't know about that. Lindy Ruff is known for his hatred of European players. He's been pretty damn consistent with the Thrashers and makes less then Rob Niedermayer. Believe it or not some of our guys take nights off too and have inconsistent streaks. I didn't propose the idea and I don't really care but I don't think it's something Lou quickly dismisses like you do. 25 goals and 61 points doesn't sound like a player who doesn't give a damn. We thought the same thing of Kovalchuk and look how that turned out.

Old
04-07-2010, 11:24 PM
yakitate304
Crunch Time

Maxim tries hard, but he has zero hockey sense to compliment his skills and skating ability.

yakitate304 is offline   Reply With Quote