HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Harrow 300 Review

Old
04-03-2010, 11:53 AM
qwas

vCash: 500
My 16 yr old son uses Harrow exclusively. He broke two shafts this year, 75 flex, so I purchased an s-3 Easton that I thought was the same flex lie and curve. He tried it and couldn't handle shoot or control the puck for three games. I managed to find a 110 flex harrow for him and he immediately was able to do the things he could before, he scored a hat trick first game back with the harrow which was three more points than he was able to get in three games with the Easton. Should mention that he used the 75 flex Harrows for almost three seasons before he broke them so not too bad for usage. Any way long story short I will get him a couple of 90 flex shafts, the 110's are a little too stiff for him as he uses a wrist shot almost exclusively when he plays forward, for next year. He is 6'3" inches in bare feet so the shafts are perfect for him, long enough. He played "A" midget this year and was AP'ed with our local Jr. "B" team.

qwas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 01:08 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwas View Post
My 16 yr old son uses Harrow exclusively. He broke two shafts this year, 75 flex, so I purchased an s-3 Easton that I thought was the same flex lie and curve. He tried it and couldn't handle shoot or control the puck for three games. I managed to find a 110 flex harrow for him and he immediately was able to do the things he could before, he scored a hat trick first game back with the harrow which was three more points than he was able to get in three games with the Easton. Should mention that he used the 75 flex Harrows for almost three seasons before he broke them so not too bad for usage. Any way long story short I will get him a couple of 90 flex shafts, the 110's are a little too stiff for him as he uses a wrist shot almost exclusively when he plays forward, for next year. He is 6'3" inches in bare feet so the shafts are perfect for him, long enough. He played "A" midget this year and was AP'ed with our local Jr. "B" team.
Your son may have just outgrown the 75 flex and that was why they broke, he is strong. You didn't mention his weight but a flex should be about half of his body weight, that isn't set in stone but it is a good starting point.

I weigh 245lbs and if I used a 75 flex it would snap so I use a 100flex and up.

As far as harrows feeling differently they do ... I handled a couple of expensive sticks this past week while getting my skates sharpened and the expensive sticks felt blade heavy now that I am used top the Harrows.

That could be what your son was experiencing.

I love the harrow balanced feel of their sticks. Fantastic, I know i could not use anything else now so i hope this young company gets going more so others can see the difference.

Hockeyfan68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2010, 02:04 PM
qwas

He only weighs 160 lbs right now but he is extremely strong . I think Harrow will start to do well as soon as we can convince people it doesn't need to cost $300.00 to be good. I know that Harrow has been working fairly close with the Jr. "B" teams around here to get the players to use their sticks so they should take off soon.

Old
04-03-2010, 06:38 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwas View Post
He only weighs 160 lbs right now but he is extremely strong . I think Harrow will start to do well as soon as we can convince people it doesn't need to cost $300.00 to be good. I know that Harrow has been working fairly close with the Jr. "B" teams around here to get the players to use their sticks so they should take off soon.
They have their sticks in college hockey as well in some spots.

I use a two piece setup at $140 and the pricier stuff just as good would be about $180 maybe. These blades for $40 are as good as the $60 "name" blades in my opinion anyway.

Old
04-03-2010, 06:48 PM
Superstar Treatment

Send a message via AIM to Superstar Treatment
The blade is very very good for 40 dollars. I like the shaft a lot, but getting them for 50 bucks a piece was the selling point. I feel my 100 dollar one95 shaft performs much better.

Superstar Treatment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2010, 08:25 AM
qwas

When purchasing online make sure you use the code HKYRINK. It is still a valid discount code and will save you a considerable amount of money.

Last edited by qwas: 04-04-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old
04-04-2010, 01:56 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superstar Treatment View Post
The blade is very very good for 40 dollars. I like the shaft a lot, but getting them for 50 bucks a piece was the selling point. I feel my 100 dollar one95 shaft performs much better.
They are good blades if they were $55 or so. They are as good as anything else pricier in my opinion. I've used some $70 pro-stock RBK blade stuff and some other $58.99 retail blades.

I like Harrow lots. I like the blade pattern numbering system instead of seeing an NHL name on the blade.

Old
04-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Superstar Treatment

Yeah, Bauer's trying to move away from names also, and if you look at an S17-S19 the first thing you see is pattern number, even if the name's on the shaft.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:18 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Yeah, Bauer's trying to move away from names also, and if you look at an S17-S19 the first thing you see is pattern number, even if the name's on the shaft.
Well it makes sense, I mean how many companies have their own version of a Heatley pattern for example that differ from one another. Eever so slightly but a difference none the less.

It would be easier for the consumer to say I like the number 3 by Bauer or the number 4 by Easton.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Superstar Treatment

It's probably more to keep away from losing business 'cause someone has a petty dislike of Staal or Backstrom so they go to warrior 'cause they don't mind Kovalev and Draper.

Old
04-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
It's probably more to keep away from losing business 'cause someone has a petty dislike of Staal or Backstrom so they go to warrior 'cause they don't mind Kovalev and Draper.
I've blackened out a few names on blades before yeah good point there.

I don't even want my NHL team's names on mine because simply I am not them and do not buy stuff because a star's name is on it.

I play guitar too but do not buy a guitar my favorite player uses. I have my own tastes.

Also when describing my blade pattern I use I have to state that I use a Getzlaff / Lidstrom / Samsonov type pattern because someone here may have used a Samsonov but not the other two similar patterns by a different stick maker.

They all have different lies as well but anyhew ... saying a Harrow #7 is much easier.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:24 AM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Another game, another point. On a pretty good roll since picking these up, something like 5 points in 5 games, which is good for me.

I did cut another inch off the newer shaft to get it right at my nose in bare feet, just to get a little more control on my shots. Last night on a 2-on-1 I tried to snipe just inside the post top left corner and hit the goalie square in the mask (luckily the puck dropped down for a tap in from my teammate). But missing corners all warmups and when it mattered...need to get it down a bit.

Now, the thing says it's about 105 flex, and it's really, really stiff. I'm starting to think that since I've chopped about 7" off the thing, maybe I should try the intermediate shaft.

Has anyone given the intermediate a shot? How's the flex play? And are the dimensions smaller?

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 01:57 PM
Hockeyfan68

As far as I know the dimensions do not change from senior to Intermediate sticks.

They do with Junior sticks.

.... of course if i am wrong I am sure someone will point it out as well they should.

Old
04-08-2010, 05:01 AM
Splitbtw
Rebuild? Refresh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeyfan68 View Post
They are good blades if they were $55 or so. They are as good as anything else pricier in my opinion. I've used some $70 pro-stock RBK blade stuff and some other $58.99 retail blades.

I like Harrow lots. I like the blade pattern numbering system instead of seeing an NHL name on the blade.
agreed. if they offered more that the 2 blade in 6 lie, I'd probably buy a few to try them out.

plus, with the special code, i'm also considering trying out another flex. right now, though, i'm more worried about finding a decent blade for my semi-old school ultralite.

Splitbtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:45 AM
canesrun

New code for Harrow--eliteteam 50% off. Hkyrink only gave me 25% off.

canesrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:13 AM
Superstar Treatment

elite team works for gloves and pants also. After seeing the video from harrow on them I decided to try out a pair of the gloves for 45.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
Superstar Treatment

The white is just the flash reflecting off the nylon, they feel pretty good on my hands, little big though.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:29 AM
Skraut

Quote:
The white is just the flash reflecting off the nylon, they feel pretty good on my hands, little big though.
What size did you get?

Are the GS gloves the ones that are Twill and Leather?

Skraut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:33 AM
Superstar Treatment

Yeah, they're 14.5"

It goes 13" then 14.5", if there was a 13.5" I would have gone with that.

They're very very little leather on them.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:54 AM
Skraut

Yeah the sizing was what I was worried about. I have some CCM in size 14 now, and they're just the tiniest bit large. I worry that the 14.5 will be too big, and the 13's too small.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:58 AM
Superstar Treatment

It's mainly the cuff. I must say though, the cuff is flared to a point that you have a huge range of motion.

Old
04-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Skraut

Quote:
elite team works for gloves and pants also. After seeing the video from harrow on them I decided to try out a pair of the gloves for 45.
Since I couldn't find a sizing chart on their website for the pants, I emailed them, and got back this response

Quote:
Here is our sizing:
Youth Small—24-26”
Youth Medium—26-28”
Youth Large—28-30”
Adult Small—30-32”
Adult Medium—32-34”
Adult Large—34-36”
Adult XL—36-38”
Adult XXL—38-40”
I'm in the market for pants since my existing ones are now too big and bulky on me (yay for weight loss due to playing hockey) $50 ain't bad, but just don't know how the protection/mobility compares to anything else, and can't find any reviews.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by canesrun View Post
New code for Harrow--eliteteam 50% off. Hkyrink only gave me 25% off.
Thanks I just wrote that down. You should go throw into the Retailer Coupon thread up top here.

Quote:
Yeah, they're 14.5"

It goes 13" then 14.5", if there was a 13.5" I would have gone with that.

They're very very little leather on them.
That is good to know, I assume you mean the palms are thin? I like thin palms sometimes and thicker leather other times. it depends on my mood.

Also I have a hard time buying gloves because I have huge hands .... normally I wear a 15" glove but some companies their 14.5" run big and fit me just fine .... or maybe some companies have small 15" gloves?

In any case I do not like a tight fit.

Quote:

Themz look very nice, I would get those. Are they comfy, well besides being loose on you I mean? Do they seem well made and a good proper hockey glove?

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-08-2010 at 01:26 PM.
Old
04-13-2010, 09:11 PM
Skraut

UPS dropped off my Harrow gloves and pants today.

I'll give em a go in the game tomorrow. I haven't noticed an issue with my other gloves, but it seems in these that the pinkies are huge. All the other fingers feel fine, but it seems like my pinkies are at least an inch shorter than the glove expects. One other thing, while they obviously say Harrow across them, the tag that was attached advertised them as Christian Torches

The pants were a pleasant surprise. I've lost a lot of weight recently, and my existing Easton Synergy pants were cavernous. I actually ordered a size smaller than what was recommended kind of in the hopes that they would bee too small, and I'd have motivation to keep loosing weight to get into them. Well, they're snug, but they fit, so I'll give them a try.

I'm still relatively new to Hockey, and the Synergy's were my first pants, so I don't have a lot to compare them to, but I'll try to answer anybody's questions about them. They don't seem as "Armored" as the Synergy's but have a lot more mobility. There seems to be a decent amount of tailbone protection, but just a tiny little plastic insert covering a small portion of the back of the legs. No rear spine protection, but a decent "Gut guard."

My gut still prevents me from lacing them fully, but the belt that comes with it is long enough for somebody at least with a 60" waist. I'll probably need to cut some off. The seem to ride a lot higher than the Eastons, but still are long enough for me at 6'4"

The camera is dead at the moment, I'll post some pics tomorrow if anybody wants.

Old
04-13-2010, 09:13 PM
Hockeyfan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skraut View Post
UPS dropped off my Harrow gloves and pants today.

I'll give em a go in the game tomorrow. I haven't noticed an issue with my other gloves, but it seems in these that the pinkies are huge. All the other fingers feel fine, but it seems like my pinkies are at least an inch and a half shorter than the glove expects. One other thing, while they obviously say Harrow across them, the tag that was attached advertised them as Christian Torches

The pants were a pleasant surprise. I've lost a lot of weight recently, and my existing Easton Synergy pants were cavernous. I actually ordered a size smaller than what was recommended kind of in the hopes that they would bee too small, and I'd have motivation to keep loosing weight to get into them. Well, they're snug, but they fit, so I'll give them a try.

I'm still relatively new to Hockey, and the Synergy's were my first pants, so I don't have a lot to compare them to, but I'll try to answer anybody's questions about them. They don't seem as "Armored" as the Synergy's but have a lot more mobility. There seems to be a decent amount of tailbone protection, but just a tiny little plastic insert covering a small portion of the back of the legs. No rear spine protection, but a decent "Gut guard."

My gut still prevents me from lacing them fully, but the belt that comes with it is long enough for somebody at least with a 60" waist. I'll probably need to cut some off. The seem to ride a lot higher than the Eastons, but still are long enough for me at 6'4"

The camera is dead at the moment, I'll post some pics tomorrow if anybody wants.
All I care about with pants is how restricting they are in the crotch area from inner thigh to inner thigh. Are they loose there somewhat?

Nice glovages by the way

Is there any way anyone can post a picture of the glove PALMS? How do those feel? Thin? Thick? soft? Hard?

Last edited by Hockeyfan68: 04-14-2010 at 01:37 AM.