HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wings 15-3-2 since Olympic Break

Old
03-27-2010, 10:23 PM
Sadekuuro

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bob View Post
I've been pointing to the post-Olympic schedule as the most important part of the schedule since December.
The Wings have answered the bell.
Indeed they have. Keep it up boys!

Sadekuuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:30 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

They need seven points in the six remaining games to hit 100. Looking good.

Ricelund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
r0bert8841

Send a message via AIM to r0bert8841
Beast mode.

r0bert8841 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-30-2010, 10:46 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetsyuk View Post
Pilppula has been amazing for us this year, he's taken huge strides. Ericsson.... not so much.

Howard is obviously the source of everything good in my life right now.
Since the Olympics. I don't remember him having a particularly spectacular Olympics either, but once everyone got back, they've been ramping up nicely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arice89 View Post
I mentioned this in the GDT... but hasn't the PP looked way more dynamic? This may just be a result of having real PP personnel out there but there's been a lot more movement -- something a lot of us have wanted for a while.
I was just saying that at home after the last game. Great movement, with the 2 forwards always circling around, D jumping in, a forward taking the point to cover, but they just keep moving the entire time. Nice to see. Maybe another Olympics bonus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMilitia View Post
Could it be that the injuries equal a blessing in disguise? I think so.

Thought crossed my mind too, that some of the horses got some rest this year. Lids, Dats and Stu though didn't get that break, although Rafalski didn't miss to much time either. Three guys have played all 76 games (Lids, Stu, Bert); Drapes w/75, Dats with 74, and Raf with 72.

Old
04-07-2010, 09:04 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Now 14-3-2 since break, need another two points in their last two games to hit 100.

Old
04-07-2010, 10:42 PM
CapsWolverinesUSA

Quote:
Now 14-3-2 since break, need another two points in their last two games to hit 100.
Caps are 12-2-4 since the break and people seem to think we're playing mediocre hockey. Oh well.

Detroit looks to be peaking at the perfect time though. Going to be a really tough out.

CapsWolverinesUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:44 AM
InGusWeTrust
hockey.tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post
Caps are 12-2-4 since the break and people seem to think we're playing mediocre hockey. Oh well.

Detroit looks to be peaking at the perfect time though. Going to be a really tough out.
For the caps it will be

InGusWeTrust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:20 AM
rocknrollnobody

Health has been VERY important to the resurgence.

I can't say it hasn't helped that the Olympic break gave a lot of our players a rest period, and obviously Howard's form has been exceptional, but I think having healthy lines has really allowed the team to gel correctly, and now we're reaping the benefits!

rocknrollnobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Some good quotes from Scotty here:

Quote:
"Detroit is a team that would scare me because they had eight guys out at one time, and they've got those two great defencemen in [Nick] Lidstrom and [Brian] Rafalski who make so many great plays for them. You know, how many points they [the Red Wings] would have had if they'd been healthy all year? 115 maybe. The way the game is played now, with so much room in the end zones now, that they've taken room away from the neutral zone, so much depends on your defence.

"Ninety-five per cent of your teams have decided they're going to protect the area right in front of the net. That leaves the guys with the most time and space, your defencemen at the points, and those guys Lidstrom and Rafalski, they make so many plays from back there. And [Niklas] Kronwall, he's not as good as those two but he's a great No. 3 with [Brad] Stuart.

"You know, you leave Sami Salo back there with all kinds of time to handle the puck and he's going to do something good back there with the shot and the way he can pass. That's where the game is now.

"I wouldn't want to play them [Detroit] because, as you say, [goalie Jimmy] Howard has had five years seasoning and has made 25 straight starts or something.
"I know Detroit doesn't like starting the first round in western Canada, with the long travel and having to go through customs, and with the Vancouver series likely starting Wednesday and going Wednesday-Friday, that leaves one less day to get out there if they end up playing Vancouver.

"They're not going to like that because after Game 2, you can't fly back [home for Game 3] -- you have to stay overnight. Both teams do. So then, Game 3 seems like it's rushed and Detroit will already have made the flight twice.

Old
04-08-2010, 01:46 PM
Fugu

vCash:
I saw that article earlier today. The thing that stood out for me is that he believes Kronwall isn't as good as Lids and Rafalski. Leading up to the 2008 Cup, Kronwall seemed to peak defensively, but has had good years offensively since then. His D seemed to take a step backwards-- and I wonder if some of that is due to him being told to focus mainly on offense? The brainfarts he's had defensively in the past year or so have been surprising given his earlier performances.

Old
04-08-2010, 02:06 PM
Heaton
#disapointment

Send a message via AIM to Heaton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I saw that article earlier today. The thing that stood out for me is that he believes Kronwall isn't as good as Lids and Rafalski. Leading up to the 2008 Cup, Kronwall seemed to peak defensively, but has had good years offensively since then. His D seemed to take a step backwards-- and I wonder if some of that is due to him being told to focus mainly on offense? The brainfarts he's had defensively in the past year or so have been surprising given his earlier performances.
Kronwall has been my favorite Wing since he was called up years ago during the injury plagued month of '04. But with that said I don't think Scotty saying Kronner is not as good as Lidstrom or Rafalski is something groundbreaking. During the cup season Kronwall was great in the playoffs but nothing spectacular during the regular season. He was dominant in almost every facet but he still had the same sort of brainfarts that he has now. Look at game 6 when he turned the puck over to Sykora in the first few minutes of the game. The mistakes don't matter when the puck doesn't end up in the net and during that robotic post season the mistakes were almost always taken care of.

I believe Kronwall is easily a #2 defensemen playing in a comfortable #3 spot but I believe his defense is just as good but the team hasn't been back to that peak. I also don't think that peak is necessary to win the cup either, the way this team has played since it's gotten healthy has been cup contender caliber IMO.

Heaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 02:52 PM
Fugu

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaton View Post
Kronwall has been my favorite Wing since he was called up years ago during the injury plagued month of '04. But with that said I don't think Scotty saying Kronner is not as good as Lidstrom or Rafalski is something groundbreaking. During the cup season Kronwall was great in the playoffs but nothing spectacular during the regular season. He was dominant in almost every facet but he still had the same sort of brainfarts that he has now. Look at game 6 when he turned the puck over to Sykora in the first few minutes of the game. The mistakes don't matter when the puck doesn't end up in the net and during that robotic post season the mistakes were almost always taken care of.

I believe Kronwall is easily a #2 defensemen playing in a comfortable #3 spot but I believe his defense is just as good but the team hasn't been back to that peak. I also don't think that peak is necessary to win the cup either, the way this team has played since it's gotten healthy has been cup contender caliber IMO.
I agree with your assessment. Scotty seemed to be specifically talking about the movement and puck control you get on the points with guys like Lids and Rafalski [i think].

Recall some of the earlier debates about Rafalski's value to the Wings, and maybe being overpaid at $6m. Are Wings posters seriously underrating his importance and what that level of control costs? If Scotty is right, and he usually is, the fact the game has moved from the neutral zone battles to defensive zone battles and maintaining pressure really should enhance the value of the Rafalskis of the league.

Old
04-08-2010, 04:07 PM
bullocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsWolverinesUSA View Post

They play in a mediocre conference. No one takes the East seriously.

bullocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:34 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

This from Alex Burrows today:

Quote:
“We don’t mind facing anyone, but as far as Detroit, the only thing I dislike is having to fly there and having to stay there, to have to spend a couple of days in that city.”

“Hockey-wise, they’re a good team, but they’re very beatable. The last time we were at their building, we won 6-3."
I'm fine with everything except the shot at the city of Detroit. I hope the Wings kick the **** out of the Canucks if they play. Then Burrows can spend his whole summer at home like the Canucks usually do.

Old
04-09-2010, 08:51 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

15-3-2, 100 points!

Damn impressive considering all the injuries. Think about if they had won more of those shootouts. Phoenix has ****ing 14 shootout wins. That's 14 points that could've gone either way. With the SO they have 106 points, without they'd have 92 points and be out of the playoffs.

The shootout's run its course, IMO. Not indicative whatsoever of who the better team is.

Last edited by Ricelund: 04-09-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Old
04-09-2010, 08:57 PM
GuloGulo

Consider where the club was like.. in November. 100 pts was so far away it was almost inconceivable. What a great end of the regular season.

GuloGulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:00 PM
Ricelund
We like our team.

Old
04-09-2010, 09:09 PM
Roy S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fugu View Post
I agree with your assessment. Scotty seemed to be specifically talking about the movement and puck control you get on the points with guys like Lids and Rafalski [i think].

Recall some of the earlier debates about Rafalski's value to the Wings, and maybe being overpaid at $6m. Are Wings posters seriously underrating his importance and what that level of control costs? If Scotty is right, and he usually is, the fact the game has moved from the neutral zone battles to defensive zone battles and maintaining pressure really should enhance the value of the Rafalskis of the league.
I think Rafalski is very underrated. He is a very important piece to our team.

Roy S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:41 AM
19 for president

I really don't think Kronner is much worse than Raffy at moving the puck. Much like Raffy, Kronner isn't a true point QB. He likes to move around a lot and find those open areas. On the PP he doesn't really get to do this because he is put with forwards, which means he almost always has to remain the last guy back. He can't sneak in very often because if the opposing team gets the puck they are off on an odd man rush with Williams as the only guy back. He is also thrust into the QB role because neither Williams nor Sammy were great playmakers. He is a good passer but it is his ability to move and read plays that make him a great offensive dman. Raffy is the better passer but I think that is something Kronwall will grow into. As for Raffys contract I still think he is slightly overpaid. My bigger issue however is the length of the contract. I seriously question how effective he will be if Lids retires before him or if he starts to slow down. His skating is a huge part of his game as is his ability to pinch in. Defensively he already gets beat 1 on 1, and that will only get worse as he ages.

19 for president is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 08:30 AM
FissionFire

Quote:
15-3-2, 100 points!

Damn impressive considering all the injuries. Think about if they had won more of those shootouts. Phoenix has ****ing 14 shootout wins. That's 14 points that could've gone either way. With the SO they have 106 points, without they'd have 92 points and be out of the playoffs.

The shootout's run its course, IMO. Not indicative whatsoever of who the better team is.
Just to expand on that point, here's what the standings would be without the shootout point.....

Eastern Conference
TeamAdj. PointsActual PointsPrev. Rank
Washington1151201
Buffalo94983
New Jersey93962
Pittsburgh91994
Ottawa89945
Philadelphia83868
New York Rangers83869
Montreal80877
Boston78876
Atlanta778110
Carolina768011
Tampa Bay737614
New York Islanders707812
Florida707613
Toronto687215

Western Conference
TeamAdj. PointsActual PointsPrev. Rank
San Jose1051112
Chicago1021111
Vancouver961013
Detroit941005
Phoenix921064
Nashville91987
Los Angeles88986
Colorado87948
Calgary87909
St. Louis828910
Anaheim828711
Dallas808612
Minnesota788313
Columbus777914
Edmonton536015

FissionFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:20 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottwood View Post
I think Rafalski is very underrated. He is a very important piece to our team.
Rafalski, even today, is an upgrade on the guy he replaced. Mainly, because Rafalski is faster and smarter, defensively. And team speed a problem for the Red Wings from about 2003-2007.
But considering his defensive weaknesses and inability to win boards battles (crucial when the playoffs begin) neutralize, I really doubt he's worth $6M a year.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 09:22 AM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19 for president View Post
I really don't think Kronner is much worse than Raffy at moving the puck. Much like Raffy, Kronner isn't a true point QB. He likes to move around a lot and find those open areas. On the PP he doesn't really get to do this because he is put with forwards, which means he almost always has to remain the last guy back. He can't sneak in very often because if the opposing team gets the puck they are off on an odd man rush with Williams as the only guy back. He is also thrust into the QB role because neither Williams nor Sammy were great playmakers. He is a good passer but it is his ability to move and read plays that make him a great offensive dman. Raffy is the better passer but I think that is something Kronwall will grow into. As for Raffys contract I still think he is slightly overpaid. My bigger issue however is the length of the contract. I seriously question how effective he will be if Lids retires before him or if he starts to slow down. His skating is a huge part of his game as is his ability to pinch in. Defensively he already gets beat 1 on 1, and that will only get worse as he ages.

Kronwall is better than Rafalski, imo. Their games are virtually the same, except Kronwall hits.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 02:17 PM
KaPluie

What's amazing about the run the Wings have been on the past 20 games, is that this is basically the rate the Wings were on ALL YEAR in 95-96 when they won 62 games. That was one dominating regular season team!

KaPluie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 03:43 PM
TheMoreYouKnow

Kronwall is the kind of guy people tend to overrate, he has an offensive touch and he hits ergo he's a crowd pleaser. His weaknesses are a lot more subtle.

Edit: I misread something about the shootout points so I deleted that part, disregard it if you caught it.

TheMoreYouKnow is online now   Reply With Quote