HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ben maxwell making team next year?

Old
04-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Jetskate

vCash: 500
Maxwell

Maxwell seems to be almost unknown in Montreal..
Wait until he actually gets to play.. he could surprise a lot of people
he's under the radar

Jetskate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:24 PM
zurg999

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzoo View Post
I hope ... NOT
Comments like this are hard to understand. Why would you hope not?

zurg999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:25 PM
TheBuriedHab

No there is no room for him. It just stings that we took him one spot ahead of Lucic.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:29 PM
Kboum

I don't think so... probably a package in a trade with Weber and Trotter.

For now, my next season line up would be

Cammy - Pleky - A.Kost
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Moore/UFA - S.Kost
Moen - Lapierre - Pyatt/White

Also Subban making the team and one of Hammer or Spacek traded for a draft pick

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Le Tricolore
Boo! Booooo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboum View Post
I don't think so... probably a package in a trade with Weber and Trotter.

For now, my next season line up would be

Cammy - Pleky - A.Kost
Pouliot - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Moore/UFA - S.Kost
Moen - Lapierre - Pyatt/White

Also Subban making the team and one of Hammer or Spacek traded for a draft pick
Why would the Habs trade a package of Weber, Trotter and Maxwell? What could they possibly get that would help the team by trading these three guys together?

Le Tricolore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:44 PM
Kboum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Tricolore View Post
Why would the Habs trade a package of Weber, Trotter and Maxwell? What could they possibly get that would help the team by trading these three guys together?
not the 3 together... but probably hamrlik + draft pick + maxwell vs Horton ?
Something like that.... (it's the only player I have in my head right now because of his altercation with his coach today...)

I know we won't get anything of value by trading 3 unproved prospects... but if you add one with a veteran...

Kboum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Jetskate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoopok View Post
No there is no room for him. It just stings that we took him one spot ahead of Lucic.
Maxwell played on the same team with Lucic every Spring since he was a kid. They're great friends. Maxwell was consistently a top scorer on every team he played with.. Lucic has toughness.. Lucic is way bigger, stronger and ready to immediately step into the NHL at age 20.. Montreal has been patient.. Maxwell has the skillset to emerge as a top end NHL Center.. and they know it..

Old
04-06-2010, 07:03 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetskate View Post
Maxwell played on the same team with Lucic every Spring since he was a kid. They're great friends. Maxwell was consistently a top scorer on every team he played with.. Lucic has toughness.. Lucic is way bigger, stronger and ready to immediately step into the NHL at age 20.. Montreal has been patient.. Maxwell has the skillset to emerge as a top end NHL Center.. and they know it..
All these guys, Maxwell, Pacioretty, Weber, Carle, they all got a shot. I've seen them all play in the NHL, and with the right mix of confidence and experience they could break in with a club eventually. I think Maxwell will be given every opportunity to take over the 4th line center spot next year. He's not big or physical, but he has good hockey sense and doesn't make a lot of mistakes defensively. The Habs want him to succeed for many reasons, one of them so they can save some money. I'm penciling him into the lineup next year as the 4th line center, mostly because it would mean we would be saving something around 500k.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 08:07 PM
LyricalLyricist

As far as I know he's still with the habs so my theory isn't that far fetched.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:33 PM
YMCMBeaulieu
A$AP MICHEL

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
As far as I know he's still with the habs so my theory isn't that far fetched.
http://www.habsinsideout.com/main/32261

YMCMBeaulieu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2010, 10:39 PM
TheBuriedHab

So they are saving a call up ehh? Subban?

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 12:04 AM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pernell Karl View Post
I forgot about BGL. I figured we'd go straight to emergency basis. Oh well, thanks for the heads up, I still think they chose Maxwell for a reason. Why not white?

Old
04-07-2010, 09:44 AM
zzoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by zurg999 View Post
Comments like this are hard to understand. Why would you hope not?
Because I think that Maxwell will not be ready next year neither. I think that Trotter, Desharnais or Pax are ahead of him. Or we could sign a 3rd or 4th liner veteran, the ones similar to Moore or Metropolit.

I hope that Maxwell will be ready in 2 years.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 10:44 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
If only you needed just skills to get by, but Maxwell needs to show he is willing to get his nose dirty and go to the tough spots in the offensive zone to score.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:46 PM
Jetskate

Maxwell has the toughness.. just ask Cory Clouston, his junior coach.. Maxwell is not a fighter, but he was not drafted for that.

Instead of comparing Maxwell to Boston's Lucic, perhaps a better comparison is to Boston's Zach Hamill (8th overall, 2007 draft). Co-incidentally Hamill was also on the same Spring team with Maxwell and Lucic. Hamill has bags of skill, same age as Maxwell and Lucic (1988) but still has not played a game in the NHL. (yes, first round, 8th overall)

Like Maxwell, Hamill simply has to get bigger and stronger in order to compete. Maxwell is way closer to the NHL than Hamill, and arguably Maxwell is a much more rounded player at both ends of the ice. Maxwell is nearly ready. Boston is being patient with Hamill. Montreal is being patient with Maxwell.

Old
04-08-2010, 09:17 AM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Maxwell has the toughness.. just ask Cory Clouston, his junior coach.. Maxwell is not a fighter, but he was not drafted for that.

Instead of comparing Maxwell to Boston's Lucic, perhaps a better comparison is to Boston's Zach Hamill (8th overall, 2007 draft). Co-incidentally Hamill was also on the same Spring team with Maxwell and Lucic. Hamill has bags of skill, same age as Maxwell and Lucic (1988) but still has not played a game in the NHL. (yes, first round, 8th overall)

Like Maxwell, Hamill simply has to get bigger and stronger in order to compete. Maxwell is way closer to the NHL than Hamill, and arguably Maxwell is a much more rounded player at both ends of the ice. Maxwell is nearly ready. Boston is being patient with Hamill. Montreal is being patient with Maxwell.
toughness in juniors doesn't matter though, he needs to show it at pros and so far he hasn't. I would never compare him to Lucic and I don't follow Hamill. Maxwell clearly is skilled but if he doesn't learn to get his nose dirty then he's going to have a hard time being a regular in the NHL. He still has time, another year in the AHL should be good for him.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:02 PM
Jetskate

I agree that it's probably wrong to compare Maxwell to Lucic.. apples and oranges. Drafted for different purposes. As far as getting his nose dirty.. also agree, but I've seen plenty of evidence that he's prepared to do that.

Old
04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

I don't see him making the team unless he's given a chance in our top 6.

Myron Gaines* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Lucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
I know many people would disagree but the guy is still with the team, is it possible the team already already decided they want to give him first shot at cracking 3rd line spot next year? Why else would they keep giving him first call up along with keeping him around in the pressbox. Yes, metro is out but lets be real here:

Under the new CBA teams are allowed 4 AHL call-ups between the trade deadline and the playoffs.

Montreal called up Pyatt once and Maxwell twice. Thus, they kept him in case of emergency, they wanted to have access to another call-up (plus him).

Lucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:43 PM
LyricalLyricist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius View Post
Under the new CBA teams are allowed 4 AHL call-ups between the trade deadline and the playoffs.

Montreal called up Pyatt once and Maxwell twice. Thus, they kept him in case of emergency, they wanted to have access to another call-up (plus him).
I read already. Still, why not a guy like White beforehand then? Seems odd to me.

I think people underestimate Maxwell. If he had a bit more confidence and played his game, he can challenge for a spot, maybe not get one, but i'm sure he can be more than what people give him credit for.

While I don't consider him necessarily ready for the nhl full-time, I do see this as the Habs choosing him as a call-up to give him more experience. Why give 13 games(this year, 20 in the last 2) in the NHL, and call-up a guy you think isn't helpful.

I strongly believe they are grooming him for a position sooner than later. I still believe, in a cap world, you gotta let your younger players challenge for a spot on the line-up. It's not that crazy to suggest maxwell to be 4th line center till he improves enough to get 3rd line duty next year. They are making him a spare as it is. To say a summer of training wouldn't help his chances is a stretch.

We'll see next training camp. I just have a feeling.