HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Game Night Thread

Closed Thread

Old
09-28-2003, 05:40 AM
IceDragoon

vCash: 500
A special thank you to all who endured watching Minni (and the Oil try to play against Minni) for us.
I truly appreciate your sacrifice "for the good of the hf team".

Old
09-28-2003, 06:07 AM
hockeyaddict101

Yep they were all bad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyped
Semenov was awful today. He was consistently beat one on one and he lost all the battles on the boards in his own end. For a giant, he should be able to do better.

I thought Conklin was easily the Oilers' best player tonight.

Torres and Stoll have a sweet chemistry and they complement each other very well. They'll be excellent together.

Wright should not play in the NHL.

Luoma was easily the worst player on the ice. Though, he was not the only guy to have a terrible night. Most of the d-men were definitely below average.

No forward stood out tonight other than the aforementioned two in my mind. Nobody was particularily bad, but nobody was particularily good either.

And yes, after a pretty good first period, the rest of the game was a snooze-fest...
Yep, there wasn't a dman that played well tonight and the Oil looked liked they needed a lube job they were a little rusty.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:05 AM
Hairball

To add more confusion to the mix, here are my impressions of the game.

Conklin played well I guess, but he looked like he was all over the place.

I though Ferguson had a great game. He just stood out to me for some reason. He was skating hard all night.

Chimera, Torres and Stoll all threw their weight around last night. It was great to see. I thought they all had pretty good games.

Bergeron and Luoma paired together to me says that they are being compared against each other and Allen is out. Neither of them had a good game last night. Both were consistently out of position. All though Bergeron still skates around like he owns the rink and he is just letting all the other kids play there. Saw him directing traffic a couple of times.

Someone posted about Pisani in another thread and I agreed completely with them. Something along the lines that he seemed to be everywhere and worked hard all night but just didn't do anything or get anything done.

Salmeleinan's goal was great. I just wish he had more chances throughout the game. I'm thinking though, that he had one of the best games out of all of them.

Our PP was bad again tonight. We spent most of one of them in our own zone trying to get the puck back from Minny.

All in all I thought it wasn't a great game and very, very boring. I hate playing against Minny. We couldn't get anything going out of their own zone, and except for two flashes of brilliance- zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

One thing I wanted to mention is this. I think maybe we have too many business people with seasons tickets. I'm guessing that preseason games are mostly just average fans. The crowd got the wave going and they seemed louder than normal. It was nice to see the crowd so into it at a preseason game. We can only hope it continues into the regular season. I don't think it will.

This is the best time of year IMO. Esks game one night, Oilers game the next. I look forward to that Sat every year when the Esks play in the afternoon and the Oilers play that evening. Lovin it.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:16 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
Someone posted about Pisani in another thread and I agreed completely with them. Something along the lines that he seemed to be everywhere and worked hard all night but just didn't do anything or get anything done.
Guess that's why he got that multiyear deal...he sounds like the 'prototypical Oiler' to me. :mad:

Don't mind me, I'm a bit grumpy re: Moreau's contract extension. Maybe if Rita had shown a pulse this camp, Lowe doesn't have to do this? Who knows...

Old
09-28-2003, 07:23 AM
coyote

Ferguson had a very solid game. He did not make many mistakes last night. He plays a very good defensive game night after night. When all said and done, you don't notice him that much out there but he plays very solid every night. We need guys like him and Staois to anker our defense. Besides him why can't Semenov get that big shot away. He has a cannon for a shot but never seems to get it away.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:39 AM
Hairball

He did let one loose last night but it didn't go anywhere. It was blocked right away.

Oh and about Rita, I was disappointed. I kept hoping he'd show something. But nope.

Old
09-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Digger12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hairball
He did let one loose last night but it didn't go anywhere. It was blocked right away.

Oh and about Rita, I was disappointed. I kept hoping he'd show something. But nope.
Rita's performance is probably the most disappointing thing of this camp so far, mainly because it looks like he's learned NOTHING in the last year. It's basically a carbon copy of last year's September performance...

1. Have strong scrimmages that get people salivating.
2. Score a goal in his first preseason game (assist by Reasoner both times).
3. As the games get harder and the opposition's scrubs fall by the wayside, Rita fades back into the woodwork and shows little emotion doing it.

It's not that he's playing horrible, but for a guy on the bubble like him I expected a hell of a lot more intensity, a lot more strength of will to force his team to make room for him. Maybe he'll be a Semenov and come into his own if the team just plunks him into the lineup and lives with his mistakes, but IMO he's not doing himself any favours right now. This team NEEDS someone with talent to step forward with Comrie not here, and w/ the exception of Hemsky and to a lesser extent Isbister nobody's really done so.

It's wide open for you Jani, why aren't you showing that you want it?

Closed Thread