"Wild's Fletcher disappointed in season"

Old
04-08-2010, 05:09 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Barker fills Johnsson's spot about as good as James Sheppard could fill Mikko Koivu's spot. Barker is making 3M, and is IMO our #5 d-man(or we could say 3.5M Nick Schultz is, your call), while Johnsson was at 4.85 as our #1. Which one(s) is/was actually overpaid?

Chicago wasn't going to move a prospect, as ELC are vital to them remaining competitive. They found a sucker to give them a solid prospect and a rental upgrade for a bust.
I'd say Barker's a second-pairing guy given what Minnesota uses him for. But either way, two possibilities for all you negative nancys:

1. Find someone to take one of our defensemen (Burns, Schultz, in the case that and continue to good asset management. This is especially possible given that there are two-three quality prospects in the pipeline, but where would everyone be if they let Johnsson walk away or spent another $5 million on him and let the top scorer from the blue line walk?

2. Barker improves as he gets a better grasp of the system. Well that or Nick Leddy proves to be a bust (which I hope not given my love for all Gophers past and present, but in all seriousness it's a possibility given the gamble HS players are); making this trade look better and better given Johnsson has been hurt for most of his tenure in Chicago.

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:14 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
I'd say Barker's a second-pairing guy given what Minnesota uses him for. But either way, two possibilities for all you negative nancys:

1. Find someone to take one of our defensemen (Burns, Schultz, in the case that and continue to good asset management. This is especially possible given that there are two-three quality prospects in the pipeline, but where would everyone be if they let Johnsson walk away or spent another $5 million on him and let the top scorer from the blue line walk?

2. Barker improves as he gets a better grasp of the system. Well that or Nick Leddy proves to be a bust (which I hope not given my love for all Gophers past and present, but in all seriousness it's a possibility given the gamble HS players are); making this trade look better and better given Johnsson has been hurt for most of his tenure in Chicago.
I don't think that Barker will be that bad, and he can only get better if you ask me. I'm sure that he will be fine, he hasn't even been here a full year yet. I think Fletch did a good job with his asset management, and like GopherState said, if he continues to do that, it will be fine. I personally hope we trade Schultz...

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:29 PM
Jbcraig1883

I'm with the wait and see approach to this trade.

With that said, I am more worried about Barker's work ethic than his skating. Some games it looks like he has either no idea what is going on, or simply doesn't care.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 09:59 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I was skeptical this summer, but I really like the job that Fletch has done this year and I can hardly wait to see what he will do next.

I can't say the same thing about the coaching staff, however.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:03 PM
mnwildgophers

As long as Fletch drafts well, I'll be happy. I'm hoping to see some trades, but I'm not holding my breath. He needs to just be smart about it, a couple of tweaks here and there and we'll be a playoff team next year.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote