2010 Offseason

Old
04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Kadri or Schenn or both could be starting points.
But why would the Leafs be willing to trade away six or seven Stanley Cups?

GopherState is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:22 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
Originally Posted by thespeckledkiwi View Post
Kadri or Schenn or both could be starting points.
It would have to be both of them + Bozak.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:49 PM
mnwildgophers

I still don't think I'd take that trade, Mikko's worth too much to us so it would probably require an overpayment.

mnwildgophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 04:52 PM
saywut

Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Latendresse - FA/Bouchard - Havlat
Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Boogaard - Sheppard/Ebbett - FA

Zanon - Zidlicky
Barker - Burns
Schultz - FA
Stoner

Backstrom
Harding

Not going to be big changes because we don't have movable parts or cap-space. For the FAs we should have some money, as Bouchard will likely begin the year on LTIR. Bouchard could also come back and play RW on the 1st or 3rd line. Nolan could be back as the other W. Prospects can be recalled if injuries or we sell off rentals like Kobasew and Miettinen at the deadline. Still won't be a real contender.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:01 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by saywut View Post
Brunette - Koivu - Miettinen
Latendresse - FA/Bouchard - Havlat
Kobasew - Brodziak - Clutterbuck
Boogaard - Sheppard/Ebbett - FA

Zanon - Zidlicky
Barker - Burns
Schultz - FA
Stoner

Backstrom
Harding

Not going to be big changes because we don't have movable parts or cap-space. For the FAs we should have some money, as Bouchard will likely begin the year on LTIR. Bouchard could also come back and play RW on the 1st or 3rd line. Nolan could be back as the other W. Prospects can be recalled if injuries or we sell off rentals like Kobasew and Miettinen at the deadline. Still won't be a real contender.
I see this too. I just don't think we have enough to swing a deal, but if this season told us anything, Fletch isn't afraid to make a move. That's nice to see.

I'm sure PMB will start on LTIR like you said, but I think Nolan goes and signs with SJ for cheap in the offseason, should've gotten something for him I think, but that ship has sailed.

I think that our lineup will look pretty much exactly like that next year, although if they could actually put together a couple of runs, they could be a playoff team with a couple of moves. Hopefully we get a nice prospect so we can have some buzz around him.

Old
04-08-2010, 05:07 PM
saywut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnwildgophers View Post
I see this too. I just don't think we have enough to swing a deal, but if this season told us anything, Fletch isn't afraid to make a move. That's nice to see.

I'm sure PMB will start on LTIR like you said, but I think Nolan goes and signs with SJ for cheap in the offseason, should've gotten something for him I think, but that ship has sailed.

I think that our lineup will look pretty much exactly like that next year, although if they could actually put together a couple of runs, they could be a playoff team with a couple of moves. Hopefully we get a nice prospect so we can have some buzz around him.
The whole Nolan scenario has me confused. He seemed to want to remain with this team, and to me he's been more of a leader this year on the team. The other thing could be GMCF trying to show loyalty to a player after the whole Sykora situation.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 05:10 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
The whole Nolan scenario has me confused. He seemed to want to remain with this team, and to me he's been more of a leader this year on the team. The other thing could be GMCF trying to show loyalty to a player after the whole Sykora situation.
Yeah, well, I remember there was a trade that we had at the deadline that had a roster player, 3rd, 5th with an Eastern Conference team, but we didn't get it in in time.

I think he handled the Sykora situation well, he tried to get him cut loose so that he could sign with another team when it didn't work out here. I thought that was a good signing at the time. There wasn't much wrong with it, but Havlat finding chemistry with Latendresse pretty made him done.

Old
04-08-2010, 05:11 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
I think it's a combination of the two and the fact that no one gave a good enough offer (out of the contending teams which Nolan would go to).

Old
04-08-2010, 05:25 PM
Jbcraig1883

Quote:
I still don't think I'd take that trade, Mikko's worth too much to us so it would probably require an overpayment.
I wouldn't do it.

Maybe I'm a huge Koivu homer but the guy does it all. He will score 80-90 points if we ever get him a legit winger.

Jbcraig1883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 06:27 PM
mnwildgophers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jocksta18 View Post
I wouldn't do it.

Maybe I'm a huge Koivu homer but the guy does it all. He will score 80-90 points if we ever get him a legit winger.
He's at 69 with Mittens as his winger, I'd say that's a very good possibility.

A point I wanted to bring up, we gave up the most SH goals against this year, this needs to be corrected next year.

Old
04-08-2010, 07:32 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
A point I wanted to bring up, we gave up the most SH goals against this year, this needs to be corrected next year.
Let's bring back Dupuis and Veilleux!

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:13 PM
a79krgm

Send a message via AIM to a79krgm
I understand that TR will implement fitness testing at the start of next year's camp. It sounds like he wants the Wild to take offseason conditioning more seriously. -- a good idea I think.

a79krgm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
mnwildgophers

Yes, hopefully this makes us faster and ready to start out the season, all sorts of factors contributed to our slow start. It's really a shame that we started so badly.

Old
04-08-2010, 10:17 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
If Bouchard doesn't come back next year, that gives us a lot of flexibility.

Step 1: Trade Harding + Sheppard + 2nd rounder to Chicago for Sharp
Step 2: Sign O. Jokinen for around 3.5m.
Step 3: Keep the 4th line, #6 & 7 Dmen, and back-up goalie cheap. That probably means losing Boogy and bringing up Kassian.

That adds two shooters to a line-up that needs them. Plus, adds a center. Next year, the lines could look like:

Bruno-Koivu-Sharp
Kobasew-Jokinen-Miettinen
Lats-Brodz-Havlat
Kassian-Ebbett-Clutterbuck

Burns-Barker
Zidlicky-Zannon
Schultz-Stoner
Noreau/Prosser/whoever

Backstrom
Back-up goalie

We could easily get that kind of roster under the cap, with room to spare. Jokinen and Miettinen would be good together, since Miettinen hates shooting. Kobasew could just wack in garbage goals and get the puck out of the corners. Lats-Brodz-Havlat had good chemistry, and can be used as a checking line.

If Wellman works out in the AHL, bring him up, bump Ebbett out. Then, put him on the 4th line, and give him some shifts with Lats and Havlat.
3 major flaws.

1. deal 1 will most likely never happen.

2. jokenin belongs on a line with havlat and letsundress and kobasew and mittens do not belong on the 2nd line. they are checking line quality, nothing more.

3. Wellman was not signed to play in the ahl, and i doubt ebbett gets signed when wellman will replace him easily. Hes bigger, faster, and shoots better. if ebbett is resigned i see him in the minors.

shleeban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2010, 10:26 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleeban View Post
2. jokenin belongs on a line with havlat and letsundress and kobasew and mittens do not belong on the 2nd line. they are checking line quality, nothing more.
These made me laugh.

Old
04-08-2010, 10:49 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
These made me laugh.
i do what i can

sad thing is, if we sign jokinen we sign a player that we could of had originally by trading james sheppard. but the ghost of wilds past (risebrouke) turned it down saying that james sheppard was "a future franchise star"

moments like this make me want to punch an old lady

Old
04-08-2010, 10:53 PM
GopherState
Repeat Offender...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleeban View Post
i do what i can

sad thing is, if we sign jokinen we sign a player that we could of had originally by trading james sheppard. but the ghost of wilds past (risebrouke) turned it down saying that james sheppard was "a future franchise star"

moments like this make me want to punch an old lady
What makes it worse is the other player heading to Florida was PMB. Seriously.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:03 PM
mnwildgophers

Phew, that would've been nice, but who knows if Jokinen would still be here? I'd like to see him between Latendresse and Havlat.

Old
04-08-2010, 11:07 PM
shleeban

Quote:
Phew, that would've been nice, but who knows if Jokinen would still be here? I'd like to see him between Latendresse and Havlat.
Havlat would have a career season, i swear my life on it

Old
04-09-2010, 12:42 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Really? Zidlicky as a top pairing?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
mnwildgophers

I was thinking about this last night, and Russo had brought it up earlier in a blog post, can't remember which one.

We have a lot of depth on the side of defensemen, our locks to playing in the NHL next year are Zidlicky, Zanon, Schultz, Burns, and Barker. Someone else brought this up too that we have potentially 5 top 4 defensemen. Burns looks to have his mojo back, and I like him paired with Barker. Zidlicky and Zanon are a good combo because they were paired together in Nashville and know the other well. That leaves us with Schultz paired with whoever AHL guy we have up here, or if we choose to use a depth signing this offseason on a d-man, a 2-way contracted guy, or Noreau or Falk or whoever. Our D-corps look set, but we also have a lot of defensive prospects in our system.

We signed Prosser as a college FA, and he looks to be a decent D-man, but could probably benefit from a year or so in the AHL. I suppose he will spend a year in the AHL. Also down there we have Justin Falk, and Max Noreau. Both of these guys are pretty much ready for the NHL, and can probably play up here next year. In addition to these 3, we also have Tyler Cuma and Marco Scandella playing in the AHL next year. This leaves us with a lot of D-men for the years to come, so we can see why Leddy was possibly traded, and Barker can hopefully play well next year.

This leads me to think that we could possibly move out some of the D-men in the system being at the AHL or NHL level, and get some sort of scorer in return coupled with picks. Burns would yield the most return, but I think he's at a sell low right now, and if he continues his play like he has at the end of this year, most of us don't want him to move since he is very skilled. I don't think Noreau nor Falk would garner much attention via the trade market, but they could possibly fill in if someone is traded.

I can't see Zanon, Zidlicky, Barker, or Burns being traded, but the others probably could be. What kind of return could we see with these guys? I think teams in cap trouble that can only take prospects in return that are looking for d-men prospects, we could make a deal. Who do you think is moving out?

Old
04-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Surly Furious

vCash: 528
Quote:
I was thinking about this last night, and Russo had brought it up earlier in a blog post, can't remember which one.

We have a lot of depth on the side of defensemen, our locks to playing in the NHL next year are Zidlicky, Zanon, Schultz, Burns, and Barker. Someone else brought this up too that we have potentially 5 top 4 defensemen. Burns looks to have his mojo back, and I like him paired with Barker. Zidlicky and Zanon are a good combo because they were paired together in Nashville and know the other well. That leaves us with Schultz paired with whoever AHL guy we have up here, or if we choose to use a depth signing this offseason on a d-man, a 2-way contracted guy, or Noreau or Falk or whoever. Our D-corps look set, but we also have a lot of defensive prospects in our system.

We signed Prosser as a college FA, and he looks to be a decent D-man, but could probably benefit from a year or so in the AHL. I suppose he will spend a year in the AHL. Also down there we have Justin Falk, and Max Noreau. Both of these guys are pretty much ready for the NHL, and can probably play up here next year. In addition to these 3, we also have Tyler Cuma and Marco Scandella playing in the AHL next year. This leaves us with a lot of D-men for the years to come, so we can see why Leddy was possibly traded, and Barker can hopefully play well next year.

This leads me to think that we could possibly move out some of the D-men in the system being at the AHL or NHL level, and get some sort of scorer in return coupled with picks. Burns would yield the most return, but I think he's at a sell low right now, and if he continues his play like he has at the end of this year, most of us don't want him to move since he is very skilled. I don't think Noreau nor Falk would garner much attention via the trade market, but they could possibly fill in if someone is traded.

I can't see Zanon, Zidlicky, Barker, or Burns being traded, but the others probably could be. What kind of return could we see with these guys? I think teams in cap trouble that can only take prospects in return that are looking for d-men prospects, we could make a deal. Who do you think is moving out?
I've been thinking the same thing, especially since Stoner and Prosser have looked pretty good when they've played, Falk wasn't bad, and Cuma and Scandella are reportedly even better than those three. Addressing a shortage by leveraging a surplus seems right up Fletcher's alley.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:01 PM
mnwildgophers

I didn't even think about Stoner! Wow, we really are set at the D position especially for next year even with injuries, I wouldn't mind seeing us ship out a couple of guys for some forward scorers. Not grinders please!

And this is really up Fletch's alley, he's done a good job of asset management so far.

Old
04-09-2010, 01:10 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by a79krgm View Post
I understand that TR will implement fitness testing at the start of next year's camp. It sounds like he wants the Wild to take offseason conditioning more seriously. -- a good idea I think.
Should of been doing that in the first place anyways.

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
BigT2002

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by GopherState View Post
These made me laugh.
You weren't the only one.

Minnesota. Where we lack maturity

BigT2002 is offline   Reply With Quote