HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The AHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The AHL Discuss the American Hockey League; its players, teams, and games.

AHL teams in limbo for next hockey season?...

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
02-15-2005, 12:01 PM
  #1
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
AHL teams in limbo for next hockey season?...

Greetings and salutations from Hamilton Ontario...........

Read in the papers the other day that some of the contracts between the NHL clubs and their AHL affiliates expires at the end of the season and a new deal will not be allowed between the NHL clubs and these AHL teams affected UNTIL a new deal is struck in the NHL between the Player's Association and the NHL owners..........Montreal Canadiens will still have a deal in place in Hamilton with the Bulldogs for example BUT the deal between the Dallas Stars and the Bulldogs will expire and the Stars prospects will not be allowed to play their hockey in Hamilton next season..............was wondering if anyone knew what other teams in the AHL will be affected by this?..........

Thanks!

Cheers!

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 01:14 PM
  #2
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Melrose
Country: Italy
Posts: 23,526
vCash: 500
Either Calgary or Carolina (Lowell) ... can anyone help me with this ... who is the main NHL team that gets rights first?

Joe T Choker is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 03:27 PM
  #3
ThememanXX
It's a hockey night!
 
ThememanXX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Duryea, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 1,098
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ThememanXX
I think Carolina has main rights in Lowell. Also, when it comes to Stars prospects not playing in Hamilton next year, I guess they'd be considered free agents in the AHL, much like locked out players this year. (much like Dan Focht playing for the Bulldogs, but being Penguins property in the NHL, or Eric Perrin playing for Hershey, but belonging to Tampa Bay)

ThememanXX is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 03:51 PM
  #4
Chaos
3, 2, 1
 
Chaos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Country: United States
Posts: 7,781
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Chaos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX
I think Carolina has main rights in Lowell. Also, when it comes to Stars prospects not playing in Hamilton next year, I guess they'd be considered free agents in the AHL, much like locked out players this year. (much like Dan Focht playing for the Bulldogs, but being Penguins property in the NHL, or Eric Perrin playing for Hershey, but belonging to Tampa Bay)
Nope...the Stars have their own AHL team next year(Iowa Stars), so thats where they will be playing.

Chaos is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 04:16 PM
  #5
clefty
What?
 
clefty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Fujairah
Posts: 15,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThememanXX
I think Carolina has main rights in Lowell. Also, when it comes to Stars prospects not playing in Hamilton next year, I guess they'd be considered free agents in the AHL, much like locked out players this year. (much like Dan Focht playing for the Bulldogs, but being Penguins property in the NHL, or Eric Perrin playing for Hershey, but belonging to Tampa Bay)
Focht is a UFA.

clefty is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 04:35 PM
  #6
Bicycle Repairman
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,695
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey_00
Read in the papers the other day that some of the contracts between the NHL clubs and their AHL affiliates expires at the end of the season and a new deal will not be allowed between the NHL clubs and these AHL teams affected UNTIL a new deal is struck in the NHL between the Player's Association and the NHL owners
Links?

Bicycle Repairman is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 10:43 PM
  #7
monkey_00*
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Country:
Posts: 5,022
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicycle Repairman
Links?
Bicycle Repairman..........

It was an article in the local Hamilton Spectator newspaper........the online edition you have to be a paying member in order to have access to their articles.......I have the article right in front of me actually...I get it deleivered to my house every morning........

The title of the article: 'Hamilton team bullish about next season.'

Basically the article goes on to say that whatever happens in the NHL Dogs will be back in the Pound (Copps Coliseum) for next season........even if some of the other teams in the AHL don't........"The commitment from Montreal to supply us with a team is there" Bulldogs majority owner Michael Andlauer said yesterday in an interview following a meeting of AHL governors at the leaguečs Allstar game in New Hampshire..........."We have an agreement unlike some teams in the AHL whose affiliation agreements end this year.".........the article goes on to add that the Dallas Stars will no longer be supplying 5-players to Hamilton cause they will be running their own AHL club next season out of Des Moines........that means the Habs will have to find 5 extra players for the Bulldogs roster to make up for the loss of players to Des Moines..........also states that if the NHL lockout continues into the Fall of next season there may be some clubs with financial issues that could affect their ability to supply their AHL affiliates with players.........the article ends by stating that even though the Bulldogs are on track to miss the playoffs for only the second time in franchise history Andlauer has every confidence in the world that the Canadiens are commited to putting a winning team on the ice for next season.........as well the Bulldogs have decided to NOT bid for the 2007 AHL Allstar game........Winnipeg Manitoba will play hosts to the event next season.

Cheers!

monkey_00* is offline  
Old
02-15-2005, 11:31 PM
  #8
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
If I remember correctly, those teams, Dallas and Calgary, splittin their affiliations between two teams already have contracts with new teams movin into the AHL next season. Des Moines (Dallas) and Omaha (Calgary). Tampa should be keepin their affiliation with Springfield, Carolina with Lowell, and so on. I don't see any problem with affiliations next season, contract or no contract. Only thing that may or may not happen are more relocations of AHL franchises, but I would think its gettin a bit late in the year for that to happen.

Clash* is offline  
Old
02-16-2005, 12:17 AM
  #9
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
I know the Admirals\Preds affiliation expires, and while the Preds hope to continue it, the Admirals are having ownership problems right now...in that..they don't have one..and Jane Bradley's trust fund is nearing empty. If the team still doesn't have an owner\might move, the Preds have said they might take their prospects elsewhere.

__________________
www.thepredatorial.com

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-16-2005, 12:37 AM
  #10
SmokeyClause
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Miami, FL
Country: Cuba
Posts: 9,999
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomorekids
I know the Admirals\Preds affiliation expires, and while the Preds hope to continue it, the Admirals are having ownership problems right now...in that..they don't have one..and Jane Bradley's trust fund is nearing empty. If the team still doesn't have an owner\might move, the Preds have said they might take their prospects elsewhere.

If they Preds up and leave and take the coaching staff too, there will be a lucky AHL team sitting around somewhere. Nothing like getting one of the best AHL teams in the land plopped right in your lap. I wouldn't mind seeing us in a southern city somewhere. Grab some small time local owners, combine with a few retired Preds (like Turcotte) with the majority of the ownership occuring with Leopold, and a new franchise could be created. Maybe Lexington? They had the Thoroughblades whose attendance in their last year was as good as Milwaukee's is this year. The T-Blades even averaged 7,847 in 97-98. And that T-Blades team was 10 games under .500.

I think they would welcome hockey with open arms in Lexington. They have no significant form of it now that I am aware of. I thought they were going to get an ECHL team, but I can't find it anywhere online. They have a humongous arena that is empty most of hockey season (only really used for a few concerts here and there and U.K. men's basketball). The reason Cleveland left was because they were getting a sweetheart deal that Rupp Arena wasn't matching

It'd be great for Preds fans as it would be very easy to travel up and see a game (around 2.5 hours). And any Preds fans in KY would have easier access to the prospects. And fans of the Lexington AHL team could make the drive down BlueGrass PKWY to 1-65 to catch the big club. If Rupp Arena is willing to make a deal, this could be a very viable option. If not, there's always Louisville.

SmokeyClause is offline  
Old
02-16-2005, 03:19 AM
  #11
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod
 
barrytrotzsneck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 31,179
vCash: 500
Yeah, though I don't think there'd be another expansion franchise. We'd likely end up with one of the other cities who lost their affiliation...in the way Tampa Bay went to Springfield after the Coyotes pulled out.

barrytrotzsneck is offline  
Old
02-16-2005, 05:07 AM
  #12
Clash*
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Country: Ireland
Posts: 5,295
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
If they Preds up and leave and take the coaching staff too, there will be a lucky AHL team sitting around somewhere. Nothing like getting one of the best AHL teams in the land plopped right in your lap.
This is a testament to the Preds prospects. The Preds leave, and there won't be any semblance of the same team in Milwaukee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
I wouldn't mind seeing us in a southern city somewhere. Grab some small time local owners, combine with a few retired Preds (like Turcotte) with the majority of the ownership occuring with Leopold, and a new franchise could be created. Maybe Lexington? They had the Thoroughblades whose attendance in their last year was as good as Milwaukee's is this year. The T-Blades even averaged 7,847 in 97-98. And that T-Blades team was 10 games under .500.

I think they would welcome hockey with open arms in Lexington. They have no significant form of it now that I am aware of. I thought they were going to get an ECHL team, but I can't find it anywhere online. They have a humongous arena that is empty most of hockey season (only really used for a few concerts here and there and U.K. men's basketball). The reason Cleveland left was because they were getting a sweetheart deal that Rupp Arena wasn't matching

It'd be great for Preds fans as it would be very easy to travel up and see a game (around 2.5 hours). And any Preds fans in KY would have easier access to the prospects. And fans of the Lexington AHL team could make the drive down BlueGrass PKWY to 1-65 to catch the big club. If Rupp Arena is willing to make a deal, this could be a very viable option. If not, there's always Louisville.
If I remember readin correctly somewhere (maybe InTheCrease), Lexington lost the Thouroughblades due to bad ownership, mainly Florida, but also because U of K didn't want hockey in its arena any longer once the ECHL team went belly-up. Froms some reports I've read, Jacksonville and Orlando, Florida are goin to bring in ECHL teams this next season in hopes of maybe landin AHL teams soon. Orlando is a more "proven" market than Lexington, imo, but there are also more viable options, like Kansas City or goin back to Worchester, before either of the first three are explored.

Clash* is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:11 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.