HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Erik Christensen Appreciation Thread (Re-sign him!)

Old
03-28-2010, 08:36 AM
free0717

vCash: 500
He is pretty good. Id give him a one year contract and a bump

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 10:19 AM
jas
Unsatisfied

For all the talk about how good he's been, Christensen has 6 goals and 16 assists in 51 games, with a great deal of time spent playing with Gaborik. Yeah, he's a cheap alternative next season as Gaborik's center, especially if the Rangers were to pursue Kovalchuk. But, he shouldn't be a priority to bring back.

Last edited by jas: 03-28-2010 at 10:35 AM.
jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:47 AM
otto1219

if christensen is our 3rd or 4th line center we are set. He is our first however, and that my friends is where our problem lies. We should resign him, but as many people pointed out we need a first line center.

otto1219 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jas View Post
For all the talk about how good he's been, Christensen has 6 goals and 16 assists in 51 games, with a great deal of time spent playing with Gaborik. Yeah, he's a cheap alternative next season as Gaborik's center, especially if the Rangers were to pursue Kovalchuk. But, he shouldn't be a priority to bring back.
He's got 22 points in 42 games with the Rangers for 750K. Yes he's played with Gabby for half of it but just how good has Gabby been the second half of the season on his own?

He's on pace for a 44 point season if he played all 82 games. Only two players have over 40 points(excluding Jokinen) on this team and there are just 6 games left.

For a million dollar contract, you can't go wrong.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
Quote:
He didn't play all of those games with Gaborik. And he's somehow still been putting up points recently despite the fact Gaborik isn't really producing, save his 2 goal game the other day. Watching him play, there's no reason he shouldnt be a part of this team next year, especially since he's a restricted free agent.

RangerFan10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:54 AM
RangerFan10

Quote:
Originally Posted by otto1219 View Post
if christensen is our 3rd or 4th line center we are set. He is our first however, and that my friends is where our problem lies. We should resign him, but as many people pointed out we need a first line center.
he's not the ideal 3rd or 4th center by any means, especially not 4th line center. He's not the greatest checker. He's gotten better on the forecheck, but he's pretty much like PAP...top 6 or bust.

Old
03-28-2010, 12:09 PM
Crease

In my opinion, we don't need an entire third line of checkers and bangers. Christensen could work on the third line. He would provide some nice hands and a scoring threat, and could be promoted in case of injury or when someone gets benched.

Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:18 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Again, cheap alternative...fine. Priority..NO.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 12:27 PM
pld459666

I'd sign him to a 2 year deal at 1 million per season. He's a kid that works on confidence and he's played well enough for the Rangers this season to instill the confidence of a 2 year deal for a small, but appreciative bump in salary.

He's earned it, but the contract encourages him to keep earning it.

I'd like to see him do well. However, he's never going to be a 40point guy regardless of the numbers he's putting up now. He's not consistent enough, and if we know that going in, there's no disappointment when he doesn't reach those numbers.

I like physical play, but teams also need to sprinkle in some offence as well and he's not a bad player for 2nd/3rd line duty.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Again, cheap alternative...fine. Priority..NO.
yep, agreed. ill take him back if there isnt much else out there, and if hes cheap, but im not going to go out of my way to bring him back either.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 06:08 PM
gravytrain6t

Say the Rangers do not sign Christensen (which I could care less) and Jokinen is gone. What will our lines 1 through 4 look like and who will be centering them (well i guess Dubinsky, Drury, Boyle and Anisimov)?

What is extremely sad is that there is no reason to even look forward watching the team play next season. As a matter of fact, you could probably start wondering who the top 5 picks in the 11' draft will be.

Right now, one of our best lines consists of Anisimov between Shelley and Prust!! That's the only positive I'm taking out of this year and that doesn't say much.

I think everyone knew if Gaborik could at least stay 80% healthy he's good for 35 to 45 goals. But I don't see him being the dominant player that Jagr was. Jagr was also a leader for this team. A good one.

I don't see Christensen being the answer between Gaborik and Prospal. Yet at the same time, I'm not counting on a line of Dubi, Prospal, and Gaborik to sustain offensive consistancy through out the year.

After that, there's nothing but role players left (Drury, Callahan, Avery, and Boyle).

I can't believe. After 8 years without a playoff birth, 2 years of getting ousted in the first round and in between there were 2 years of making it to the semi finals, fans have to continue to be patient.

Last edited by gravytrain6t: 03-28-2010 at 11:40 PM.
gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 08:27 PM
RangerFan10

There's not many clear options at center for the Rangers without re-signing Christensen and/or Prospal. As the poster above me pointed out, there's not much to look forward to next season. Most of the players coming up on free agency are guys I'd like for us to keep. There aren't many options in free agency, and no obvious players that will be on the trade block either.

Old
03-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Provolone*

I want him back, but only as a 3rd line center. If he's Sathers answer for a 1st line center, than God help us all!

Provolone* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2010, 11:40 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

This team is moving in the right direction. I personally feel that as we are letting prospects like Stepan, Hagelin, Kreider who are a year or two away develop, there is nothing wrong with giving a talented guy a cheap contract as a stopgap player.

Better Christensen, than signing another UFA like Marleau to a long expensive contract to try to fill holes and ripple our team.

THAT, is my thinking.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:13 AM
DrAStuart

I think you have to put EC's situation into a little context. He started the season with the Ducks coming off major surgery. That, plus the trades, really played with his head and his confidence level. That's why he got waived by Anaheim.

Getting picked up by the Rangers was probably a shock -- he had said in the press that he was prepared for some time in the minors to get his game back -- and you can tell from that first interview he gave in NYC that he was really down on himself. Remember, he got waived twice by Anaheim this season...so getting picked up was probably not in his game plan. He owes Prospal for that

In some ways that put even more pressure on him. In the AHL you can work on your game and your confidence without the same kind of scrutiny that he's had in NYC.

I think if you look at how he's progressed since he got the Rangers late last year, and especially how he's played in the last couple of months, then I think you have to fairly conclude that he's definitely on the road back to what people expected him to be when the Pens drafted him.

It has taken a while to get there, but his improvement has been steady and his contributions better. He's not all the way back I don't think, but he's playing a more aggressive game than he ever has, he's somewhat more defensively minded than he ever was (something he's admitted was never how he played before) and his skill set is undeniable. He and Gaborik obviously play well together and he's demonstrated similar chemistry with Props and Cally.

When he arrived Torts said "you don't get a top centre off the waiver wire". After the Feb 14th game he said the only other guy who could have scored the way EC did on that double-deke goal was Gaborik. Torts knows the skill level he has. That's why he called him (and some others) out in the locker room before the last game and told him he had to be better -- and EC responded within 21 seconds of the puck drop. He's also in the top ten in the league when it comes to the shoot-out -- not a skill the NYRs are very deep in.

Given where he was when he got to NYC and where he is now, the Rangers would be nuts not to keep him. He's not gonna be expensive -- a modest bump to show appreciation for the work he's put in -- and he's gonna work his butt off to stay in the line-up.

Is he the #1 centre? Probably not yet. Could he be? Maybe, but probably not. Could he be a solid #2 centre? Much more likely. As someone before said, he could be the Rangers' version of Peverley -- a waiver wire pick up that ends up surprising everybody.

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:27 AM
mullichicken25

he's not going to get much of a raise...its a no brainer

you keep him and still look for a #1 center

then, if we luck out, we have Christensen playing with gaborik on line 1 and a true #1 center on line 2....seems like that would certainlly help fix the secondary scoring problem

that would be like hitting the lottery

mullichicken25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

I'd be willing to give him another year at the same salary. He seems happy here, and I don't think there would be a market for him as a free agent, so I'm sure he'd be thrilled with that offer. Give him another season and see if he can improve and stick with the big club.

I don't see him turning into the #1 center we really need, but aside from Prospal, he's show the most chemistry with Gaborik.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:49 AM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trxjw View Post
I'd be willing to give him another year at the same salary. He seems happy here, and I don't think there would be a market for him as a free agent, so I'm sure he'd be thrilled with that offer. Give him another season and see if he can improve and stick with the big club.

I don't see him turning into the #1 center we really need, but aside from Prospal, he's show the most chemistry with Gaborik.
He could offer the flexibility to allow the Rangers to find a legit #2 center.

04-09-2010, 09:52 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrAStuart View Post
I think you have to put EC's situation into a little context. He started the season with the Ducks coming off major surgery. That, plus the trades, really played with his head and his confidence level. That's why he got waived by Anaheim.

Getting picked up by the Rangers was probably a shock -- he had said in the press that he was prepared for some time in the minors to get his game back -- and you can tell from that first interview he gave in NYC that he was really down on himself. Remember, he got waived twice by Anaheim this season...so getting picked up was probably not in his game plan. He owes Prospal for that

In some ways that put even more pressure on him. In the AHL you can work on your game and your confidence without the same kind of scrutiny that he's had in NYC.

I think if you look at how he's progressed since he got the Rangers late last year, and especially how he's played in the last couple of months, then I think you have to fairly conclude that he's definitely on the road back to what people expected him to be when the Pens drafted him.

It has taken a while to get there, but his improvement has been steady and his contributions better. He's not all the way back I don't think, but he's playing a more aggressive game than he ever has, he's somewhat more defensively minded than he ever was (something he's admitted was never how he played before) and his skill set is undeniable. He and Gaborik obviously play well together and he's demonstrated similar chemistry with Props and Cally.

When he arrived Torts said "you don't get a top centre off the waiver wire". After the Feb 14th game he said the only other guy who could have scored the way EC did on that double-deke goal was Gaborik. Torts knows the skill level he has. That's why he called him (and some others) out in the locker room before the last game and told him he had to be better -- and EC responded within 21 seconds of the puck drop. He's also in the top ten in the league when it comes to the shoot-out -- not a skill the NYRs are very deep in.

Given where he was when he got to NYC and where he is now, the Rangers would be nuts not to keep him. He's not gonna be expensive -- a modest bump to show appreciation for the work he's put in -- and he's gonna work his butt off to stay in the line-up.

Is he the #1 centre? Probably not yet. Could he be? Maybe, but probably not. Could he be a solid #2 centre? Much more likely. As someone before said, he could be the Rangers' version of Peverley -- a waiver wire pick up that ends up surprising everybody.
Good post and welcome to the board.

No doubt Christensen has some skill. The question is do you want this guy playing second line center if you finally get the 1st line center you really need. Then Dubinksy is moved to the wing or 3rd line? Drury is the prototypical 3rd line center/PK guy so hes got to get his time somewhere. (The way hes played in certain stretches more like a 4th line guy).

I really like what Christensen has brought to the team but it isn't as simple as signing him just because he had a nice bounceback year off of waivers. Lets not forget he hasn't played a full season, so hes got a lot left in the tank now when the rest of the league hasn't. I think the Rangers (especially Sather) get caught up in these human interest stories and bounceback years like Prospal and Christensen but you have to be careful you are resigning them for the right reasons. If the Rangers get the legit center they need for Gaborik, there really isnt a need for Christensen.

One of the biggest problems the Rangers (specifically Sather) have is their lack of foresight, player evaluation and a plan when building a team. This team lacks proper construction, and mainly because of salaries. Christensen might be a nice inexpensive fallback option if they can't secure a true 1st line center. If the plan is to move Dubi to the wing then so be it, hes probably a good candidate for a center position because he has some good skill and is cheap. But i always saw Dubi as a pivot. So its more about how he fits in then a simple "do you want him or not" discussion.

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 09:53 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway View Post
He could offer the flexibility to allow the Rangers to find a legit #2 center.
exactly, thats the point i was trying to make above

we should go out and try to find a #1 center regaurdless...but if he continues to develope chemistry with Gaborik, the rangers would be in the awesome position of having a 1st line center on their 2nd line

Old
04-09-2010, 09:56 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:

and the award for best first post goes to....

haha, welcome aboard....and very nice analysis of the situation

Old
04-09-2010, 10:26 AM
DrAStuart

I agree there has to be a legit place for EC if they're gonna sign him...not fair to him to sign him and sit him on the bench...and not good for the team to sign him if they don't see a place for him.
I personally don't mind Dubi on the wing -- he's played there with EC before and it seemed to work. One of EC's biggest drawbacks is that he has never had any success on the wing himself -- the Pens tried it, the Thrashers tried and Anaheim tried it. The only time it sort of worked was when he played wing with Crosby. And putting EC on the third or fourth is probably a waste of his skill set.
So, yeah, there has to be a plan that works for both EC and the team. But, c'mon, there's always a plan, isn't there? I mean, would Sather sign someone if he didn't have a clearly thought out, rational plan? :lol

DrAStuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

While Im not in love with Christensen's game, hes the type of guy the Rangers need to use as stopgags over the next couple of years.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:29 AM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:
I agree there has to be a legit place for EC if they're gonna sign him...not fair to him to sign him and sit him on the bench...and not good for the team to sign him if they don't see a place for him.
I personally don't mind Dubi on the wing -- he's played there with EC before and it seemed to work. One of EC's biggest drawbacks is that he has never had any success on the wing himself -- the Pens tried it, the Thrashers tried and Anaheim tried it. The only time it sort of worked was when he played wing with Crosby. And putting EC on the third or fourth is probably a waste of his skill set.
So, yeah, there has to be a plan that works for both EC and the team. But, c'mon, there's always a plan, isn't there? I mean, would Sather sign someone if he didn't have a clearly thought out, rational plan? :lol
lol

God us

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:00 AM
BrianLeetch2

Send a message via AIM to BrianLeetch2 Send a message via MSN to BrianLeetch2
well for a 1 year under 1 mil contract you woule be dumb not to resign him

BrianLeetch2 is offline   Reply With Quote