HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
04-09-2010, 02:08 PM
XO

vCash: 500
2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Hey.

So I couldn't find a draft thread & dont wanna be the one creating an "Official Draft thread" (havn't been here for too long so don't know how you usually have it"

Ok.. so Kings lack a little in good LW prospects & there is rumors about Kabanov that he said that he only wants to play in Florida/Los Angeles cos of the weather. He was ranked 31 in the final CSS ranking but could've gone top 10 if it weren't for all problems he have had this season.

So what im wondering about is what you think, should Kings draft Kabanov with the 1st this year? or would you rather take a safer pick?

XO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:10 PM
TonySCV
Two Timer!

Sorry there hasn't been one made yet. I think we're all still excited over the fact that the draft isn't the highlight of our season for the first time in 7 seasons.

This thread will be it.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:18 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonySCV View Post
Sorry there hasn't been one made yet. I think we're all still excited over the fact that the draft isn't the highlight of our season for the first time in 7 seasons.

This thread will be it.
yeah ofc but I just love the draft and even if Kings aren't drafting top 15 as usually it will be really interesting. (now when it's being hold in LA and all) :-)

Old
04-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquilani View Post
Hey.

So I couldn't find a draft thread & dont wanna be the one creating an "Official Draft thread" (havn't been here for too long so don't know how you usually have it"

Ok.. so Kings lack a little in good LW prospects & there is rumors about Kabanov that he said that he only wants to play in Florida/Los Angeles cos of the weather. He was ranked 31 in the final CSS ranking but could've gone top 10 if it weren't for all problems he have had this season.

So what im wondering about is what you think, should Kings draft Kabanov with the 1st this year? or would you rather take a safer pick?
That sounds thouroughly unappealing to me.

All things considered, I wouldn't be opposed to trading our 1st if the right deal were on the table. What that is remains to be seen.

Ollie Weeks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Quote:
Hey.

That answer will not earn him any points with Lombardi. It probably costs him a few points.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Telos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:24 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slippery Moses View Post
That sounds thouroughly unappealing to me.

All things considered, I wouldn't be opposed to trading our 1st if the right deal were on the table. What that is remains to be seen.
Yup, I know very little about the prospects outside the top 3 (finally able to focus on other hockey things), but if that rumor is true there is a 0% chance Lombardi takes him.

redcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:35 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Hey.

I don't know anything about Kabanov but if he wants to play for LA, I want to hear it's because we're a great up-and-coming team or because we have great team chemistry or anything positive about the team/organization. I don't want to hear it's because of the weather.

For now, I'll give Kabanov the benefit of doubt. Perhaps, his comment about the weather was taken out of context. Hopefully, I'll start reading some favorable comments about the team from him as well.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
XO

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcard View Post
Yup, I know very little about the prospects outside the top 3 (finally able to focus on other hockey things), but if that rumor is true there is a 0% chance Lombardi takes him.
well then flyers 2nd might be more realistic (no way he will still be around by then i think). just me being a big fan of Kabanov for quite a while and it's sad whats happen over the last year (but he caused it himself)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
I don't know anything about Kabanov but if he wants to play for LA, I want to hear it's because we're a great up-and-coming team or because we have great team chemistry or anything positive about the team/organization. I don't want to hear it's because of the weather.

For now, I'll give Kabanov the benefit of doubt. Perhaps, his comment about the weather was taken out of context. Hopefully, I'll start reading some favorable comments about the team from him as well.
yeah i'd take it with a pinch of salt, i don't have a real source where it came from (another HFBorder said it)

Old
04-09-2010, 02:37 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

The Kings will not select Kabonov. Him quitting on not only his QMJHL team but his Russian team is going to have Kabonov drop steeply.

It is difficult to read Lombardi, but if we are going off of need, I'd say the Kings need a big bodied forward who can skate and is skillful with the puck.

Two names that I'd like to see the Kings select are Austin Watson or Brock Nelson. My top choice would be Emerson Etem but there is no way he'll be around when it's the Kings turn to pick. Same with Nido Niederreiter. The Kings would have to move up to the 10-15 spot to land one of those two.

Highlight of Etem from the CHL prospects game with an end-to-end rush:

Feature on Niederreiter on TSN:

Another player I'd love to see the Kings draft is Brad Ross. There have been rumblings that a team could reach far and take him as a late 1st or early 2nd round selection.

Lombardi and the Kings have always been infatuated with big, tough defenseman from the WHL, so it shouldn't come as a surprise if they also had interest in Dylan McIlrath. He's like the long lost brother of Colten Teubert.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:40 PM
XO

about 1 ˝ year ago Kabanov said this in an interview:

“It doesn’t matter how much money they offer me here,” Kabanov said. “Even with more money, life is more exciting in North America. In Canada, if you play like a star, you’re treated that way. The NHL is a league with 100 years of history. The KHL has a bad name. It’s an imitation league. And it’s full of corruption.”

Kabanov’s father leaned over to Ushakov to ask his advice, “Should he say that?”

“He’s right,” Ushakov responded.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
about 1 ˝ year ago Kabanov said this in an interview:

“It doesn’t matter how much money they offer me here,” Kabanov said. “Even with more money, life is more exciting in North America. In Canada, if you play like a star, you’re treated that way. The NHL is a league with 100 years of history. The KHL has a bad name. It’s an imitation league. And it’s full of corruption.”

Kabanov’s father leaned over to Ushakov to ask his advice, “Should he say that?”

“He’s right,” Ushakov responded.
Is it true that he quit the Russian team as well as the QMJHL?

If so, what was his reason for quitting the Q?

Old
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
XO

Quote:
Is it true that he quit the Russian team as well as the QMJHL?

If so, what was his reason for quitting the Q?
Maybe have read this already but it's an very rough translation about what happened in the U18: http://translate.googleusercontent.c..._U2KWnHYgK3COg

But remember that he's a teenager, i'm sure he will grow.. i really hope so otherwise

His father also said that Kirill will never play for Russia again.

Old
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Speak of the devil. Here is more info on the Kabanov situation:
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=317308

Old
04-09-2010, 03:57 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Ok, so, he didn't quit Mocton but was given permission to go play for Russia.

In any case, he doesn't sound like a DL type of a player but then again, I guess you have to factor in his age.

My guess is he'll bounce around a bit until he matures and settles down. I can see a team like the rangers take a chance on him.

Old
04-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Etem or Watson are who I want the Kings to nab. Watson just screams Dean Lombardi type of player to me.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:08 PM
Sybil227

Quinton Howden.
http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=25113
GP G A PTS +/- PIM
65 28 37 65 14 44

http://www.oursportscentral.com/serv...es/?id=3930996
Quote:
Howden, the 1st overall pick in the 2007 WHL Bantam Draft, has enjoyed a terrific start to the season in Moose Jaw, and is showing himself to be a complete player who brings offense, playmaking, physical play and grit, and strong leadership. Expect Howden to place high on the list for many NHL scouts this season.
http://www.thescoutingreport.org/whl...lgary-reports/
Quote:
Quinton Howden may be the most effortless skater in the WHL right now. His fantastic acceleration often provided his defensemen with a great outlet option. It also aided his transition game in the neutral zone where he was very effective in back checking and then turning the play back up the ice.
http://www.sportsnewsandscores.com/tag/quinton-howden
Quote:
Quinton Howden was the first overall selection in the 2007 WHL priority draft, and was for good reason. With plenty of expectations Howden has delivered. Averaging a point a game in his second season Howden has proven that their is plenty of potential on the offensive side of the ice, but his ability to play defence is the reason he should be a first round selection. Howden is quick, hard on the puck and usually wins the battles. Give another year or two for development and Howden could be an effective NHL forward.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:16 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Austin Watson is probably the main guy right now, drafting him would be perfect, but I can see teams reaching for him. I also think the Kings are set at center, they need to start looking at winger prospects, Watson is a winger, Nino Niederreiter is a winger, but he'll be taken in the top 10, Brock Nelson is a center, Kopitar, Loktionov and Schenn are going to be our top 3 centers, I just don't see room for any more. I understand it may come down to best forward available, but I'd much rather a winger. As of right now, if the season ended today, where would the Kings be picking? does anyone know?

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Howden's a reach at where the Kings will be picking, if we'd selecting at the 25 spot or lower, then ya, he'd be a good pick

AKAY47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:47 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Austin Watson is probably the main guy right now, drafting him would be perfect, but I can see teams reaching for him. I also think the Kings are set at center, they need to start looking at winger prospects, Watson is a winger, Nino Niederreiter is a winger, but he'll be taken in the top 10, Brock Nelson is a center, Kopitar, Loktionov and Schenn are going to be our top 3 centers, I just don't see room for any more. I understand it may come down to best forward available, but I'd much rather a winger. As of right now, if the season ended today, where would the Kings be picking? does anyone know?
If you go by overall standings, they'd be drafting 23rd, but the draft order determination has changed. The order is now dictated by how early team's are eliminated from the playoffs.

Brock Nelson has been listed as a winger/center, and I'm sure he can make that conversion, much like Dustin Brown who was also listed as a center/winger when he was drafted by the Kings.

I love the fact that he's big and he can skate. Here's a good write up on Brock from the Red Line Report:
Quote:
Warroad (Minn.) High School power center Brock Nelson recently committed to the University of North Dakota, and the Fighting Sioux can really count this one as a coup in smuggling the emerging star out of state right from under the noses of the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Nelson, who is currently playing this fall in the Midwest Elite League until the local high school season starts in about six weeks, is one of Red Line's favorite early line sleepers for the 2010 Draft. Not many scouts outside of Minnesota have ever heard of him, and he didn't blossom until last season, so he's never been a part of the whole U.S. select process. So he may suffer from underexposure for now, but that won't last much longer.

Nelson, 6-2/205, with a great stride and powerful shot, also has a very strong bloodline in the sport. His uncle is Dave Christian, one of the key scoring cogs on the 1980 U.S. Olympic gold medal-winning squad. Christian is also a former UND All-American and won a national championship with the Sioux before launching an NHL career that spanned over 1000 games and nearly 800 points, so he likely had some influence on young Nelson's decision.
Austin Watson would be another great pickup. Here's a video of him scoring a hat-trick, all in different ways (driving the net, shot from the slot and a redirected tip):

Old
04-09-2010, 04:50 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If you go by overall standings, they'd be drafting 23rd, but the draft order determination has changed. The order is now dictated by how early team's are eliminated from the playoffs.
You sure about that?

Old
04-09-2010, 04:58 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
You sure about that?
http://www.nhlscap.com/draft.htm#order
Quote:
From NHL.com:

The order of selection among the Member Clubs in each season shall be determined in the following manner: (amended in 2007 to provide for points iv and v below)

A composite of all Member Clubs shall be prepared by placing:

First the Clubs which failed to qualify for the next preceding playoffs in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest points total and followed by the Club having the next lowest points total, and so forth.

The Clubs which participated in the next preceding playoffs (but had not been ranked first in their respective Divisions and did not make the Conference Finals) in order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

The Clubs which had been ranked first in their Divisions during the next preceding season (but had not made the Conference Finals ) in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points, and so forth.

The Clubs who lose in the Conference Finals in the order of points earned by each of them in the regular schedule of the next preceding season starting with the Club having the lowest total points and followed by the Club having the next lowest total points.

The Club which loses in the Finals shall select next to last.

The Stanley Cup winner shall select last, thus, positioning all Clubs on the list.

In the event of a tie for any position, such tie shall be resolved by application of the rules governing the determination of final League standings. The resulting list shall constitute the order of selection.

Tie-Breaking Procedures:
At the conclusion of the regular season, the standing of the teams in each Conference shall be determined in accordance with the following priorities in the order listed:

First place in each of the three (3) divisions seeded 1, 2, and 3.

The higher number of points earned by the Club.

The greater number of games won by the Club.

The higher number of points earned in games against each other among two (2) or more Clubs having equal standing under priority (b) and (c) **

The greater differential between goals scored for and against by Clubs having equal standing under priority (d).

So ... positions 15-30 are set after the playoffs, while 1-14 are set by a weighted lottery.

Old
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
XO

Quote:
You sure about that?
It's true, that's why Pens drafted 30th last year.

Old
04-09-2010, 05:09 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Not too crazy about that ruling. They should just keep it simple and pick in the inverse order of the regular season.

Why penalize a club for having success in the playoffs and why reward those who exit early?

Old
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Cutty Sarkn3ss*
I bet u trade me

Send a message via AIM to Cutty Sarkn3ss*
God I love those Ottawa 67 jerseys

Cutty Sarkn3ss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:13 PM
deano

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Howden's a reach at where the Kings will be picking, if we'd selecting at the 25 spot or lower, then ya, he'd be a good pick
I think you've been paying too much attention to the rankings. The draft never ends up looking like Central Scouting/ISS or any other list. Howden can play wing or center, has a lot of speed/skating ability, some good skill, and character. I would not be surprised to see him chosen as high as 14-15. He could also slide to the back end of the first/early second, but he is quality enough to be considered in that very short spacing. Last years draft blew up any ranking system out there. Nobody was close, and I'd be surprised to see any uniformity in this draft. Too many players in the first three rounds that could make a huge jump or big free fall.

deano is offline   Reply With Quote