HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Trade for a Top NHL Winger

Old
04-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
It completely baffles me how much his play has dropped off. I'm still of the belief that offensively gifted players come to Philadelphia and die. I've never seen regression like Briere's. I honestly can't believe how he's all but fallen off the map and that a 50 point season is now called a success. The Flyers really need to find a way to jump start his game again because he just isn't the same player that he was when he was in Buffalo.
That Buffalo team was a bit unique, and since coming here, Briere's numbers are much more in line with what you'd expect him to be doing. On top of that, injuries have been a problem for him here in a big way.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:15 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Also, he's so much better offensively at C, the games since Carter went down he's been phenomenal there, the problem is that he's a defensive black hole.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:44 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
Also, he's so much better offensively at C, the games since Carter went down he's been phenomenal there, the problem is that he's a defensive black hole.
That's where having defensively responsible wingers come into play. Let Briere play that offensive game he's known for and when it comes time for defensive work, that's when the wingers come into play. Still wish they would have went the all Frenchmen line of Gagne/Briere/Giroux.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 02:49 PM
FlyHigh

Send a message via AIM to FlyHigh Send a message via MSN to FlyHigh
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
That's where having defensively responsible wingers come into play. Let Briere play that offensive game he's known for and when it comes time for defensive work, that's when the wingers come into play. Still wish they would have went the all Frenchmen line of Gagne/Briere/Giroux.
Eh, I'm still not sure you can get away with that in the POs to be honest, good wingers can help out, but C is by far the most important forward position when it comes to defense.

FlyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 03:22 PM
CTU2fan

Ideally you'd move Briere. The problem is (obviously) his NTC and his contract. I'm curious if there's a guy out there who's more of a pure winger, on a similar type contract, that another team might be willing to trade for Briere. Looking at nhlscap I don't see an obvious fit/match with anybody...unless you like Tim Thomas and think you could work something out that way, and use the savings to bring in a winger.

CTU2fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:24 PM
captainpaxil

when briere was healthy gagne was out and when gagne was healthy briere was out i dont think breire has really been used the way that suits his style of play except for brief periods with prospal and giroux. i really like the idea of the two of them with leinoa leino isnt afraid to work in front of the net and give gagne the screen and he plays that ticky tac style that makes briere so effective. over the course of a season i dont know that the defensive liability would hold up but for the playoffs other teams would have to worry about stopping them enough to free the other lines to do the rest.

captainpaxil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 04:33 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyHigh View Post
I think you can live with Briere's D at center against most teams. Teams big down the middle would be an issue like the Pens. I hate when teams sign a player to a big contract because they like his production then move him to another position. I remeber the Phils doing that with Gregg Jeffries. Allstar 1st baseman, they sign him and move him to left field and can't understand why his game slipped.

Put Briere at C and play Richards in a checking line center role. Richards will still get his PP points and can play big minutes if Lavi roles 4 lines.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:20 PM
Bryz4shiz

Anyone else think Carter is way better than Nash? Carter is a solid two-way center who scored more goals last year than Nash ever has.

Bryz4shiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 06:58 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
Now, how do you fold your tinfoil hat? Like a sailor, or is it more of a hershey kiss type thing?
I tip my tinfoil hat to you, sir, for that line. Should I decide to use it, what are your royalty rates?

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2010, 08:29 PM
Joey Mac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
Anyone else think Carter is way better than Nash? Carter is a solid two-way center who scored more goals last year than Nash ever has.
hell yeah, it's no contest

Joey Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:03 AM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10KeithLeClair25 View Post
While this may be true, remember Nash plays in Columbus while Jeff Carter has been on a successful team in Philly.

They are both actually VERY close in stats (stats provided up til March 29th for Jeff Carter):

Jeff Carter – Center – 6’3” 200lbs – Age 25 – Stats of past 3 seasons
GP: 236 – G: 108 – A: 89 – P: 197 +/-: Plus 32 – PIM: 161 – PP: 31 – S%: 11.7

Rick Nash – Left Wing – 6’4” 218lbs – Age 25 – Stats of past 3 seasons
GP: 233 – G: 111 – A: 104 – P: 215 +/-: Plus 9 – PIM: 203 – PP: 26 – S%: 13.2

Last edited by El Emperor: 04-09-2010 at 10:49 AM.
El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:23 AM
jb**

Briere was a pure offensive player who didnt play much d if at all when they signed him. They knew that. Yet they tried to change his game and make him more aware defensivley. That has hurt his offensive game and he still is < avg defensively. That is why they should just play to his strengths which it appears they dont. Let him be the player he is offesnively and he can be successful.

jb** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:14 PM
ugiswrong

Briere buyout, hmm, would ownership ever approve such a thing?

ugiswrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Mota

Gagne-Richards-Iginla would be a pretty sick first line...but I dont see that happening.

I think Lecavalier could be another option if were speculating unlikely blockbusters. If they trade carter, then move Hartnell and/or Carle to clear more salary, it could work. The only reason I suggest him is because we wouldnt lose size up the middle, and he might be able to help a guys like briere and gagne produce more, and they might help him out the same way.

Gagne-Lecavalier-Briere
JVR-Richards-Giroux

Not a bad top 6.

Mota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugiswrong View Post
Briere buyout, hmm, would ownership ever approve such a thing?
Even if they approved paying him for nothing, you still have two seasons where his cap number still kills you. If they bought out his contract this offseason, we would have about 4 million in cap room for the next few years, then for two years have to pay 5.5 million and then 6.5 million, then for another 5 or so years still be paying close to 2 million.

It is the most annoying thing ever (maybe for the exception of the Scott Gomez contract)! Maybe in a couple years when Briere's actual salary is only a couple million, some team trying to save a few million will be willing to trade for him. Hopefully by then the Philly fans can wear Briere down to the point where he would go anywhere.

Old
04-09-2010, 12:41 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mota View Post
I think Lecavalier could be another option if were speculating unlikely blockbusters. If they trade carter, then move Hartnell and/or Carle to clear more salary, it could work. The only reason I suggest him is because we wouldnt lose size up the middle, and he might be able to help a guys like briere and gagne produce more, and they might help him out the same way.

Gagne-Lecavalier-Briere
JVR-Richards-Giroux

Not a bad top 6.
Not sure about Lecavalier. You basically get an older Jeff Carter for more money. At least bringing an older player like Iginla, you aren't just swapping players at the same position.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:07 PM
Subject Orange

While I don't think anyone really wants to trade Carter away, the reality between the two is that Nash puts up Carter's numbers....on a trash team.

Flyersfan333 is right in that we won't be able to hold onto Gagne and Carter, the expense will be beyond anything we could imagine. And letting Gagne run to the end of his contract just means we lose everything. Add into that trying to sign JVR and Giroux long term somewhere in the near future, and the budget just goes through the roof.

What would be best is if we could somehow manage to get Nash, and/or, find a way to trade Gagne and Hartnell away. We'd have to find teams for whom they would wave the no trade clause. In the end trade everything off to get back our first round pick from Anaheim. That way we could use it to pick up Jack Campbell ( goalie )during the draft, and hopefully get Nash. Go for Campbell even if we don't get Nash.

Campbell is a young american goalie with skill who we could build into the franchise. Meanwhile, he's a good American player, possible future olympian, and someone the league will love. I know a lot of you on here don't believe that star power has anything to do with what happens in the league, but having the publicity really does help.

Having a star on your team is like the goal post. A little to the left and the puck is in the net, a little to the right and your going into the corner to dig it out.

The left would be that guy who the NHL loves to see play, and is willing to let slide suspensions..ahem...Ovi..Malkin (you all know the instigation im talking about)..while the right would be the guy who gets those suspensions cause he's either a nobody. or has a history. Sorry Carcillo...

Last edited by Subject Orange: 04-09-2010 at 03:02 PM.
Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 02:15 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post
What would be best is if we could somehow manage to get Nash, and/or, find a way to trade Gange and Hartnell away. We'd have to find teams for whom they would wave the no trade clause. In the end trade everything off to get back our first round pick from Anaheim. That way we could use it to pick up Jack Campbell ( goalie )during the draft, and hopefully get Nash. Go for Campbell even if we don't get Nash.

Campbell is a young american goalie with skill who we could build into the franchise. Meanwhile, he's a good American player, possible future olympian, and someone the league will love. I know a lot of you on here don't believe that star power has anything to do with what happens in the league, but having the publicity really does help.
I could see Anaheim as a team to waive a no trade clause for. It's not like Anaheim is one of those teams that stays in rebuild mode for more than one season at a time.

Drafting Jack Campbell would be great, and it would make acquiring an aged goalie like Marty Turco a lot easier to take in knowing that there is a franchise goalie in a few years.

Old
04-09-2010, 02:58 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subject Orange View Post
While I don't think anyone really wants to trade Carter away, the reality between the two is that Nash puts up Carter's numbers....on a trash team.

Flyersfan333 is right in that we won't be able to hold onto Gange and Carter, the expense will be beyond anything we could imagine. And letting Gagne run to the end of his contract just means we lose everything. Add into that trying to sign JVR and Giroux long term somewhere in the near future, and the budget just goes through the roof.

What would be best is if we could somehow manage to get Nash, and/or, find a way to trade Gange and Hartnell away. We'd have to find teams for whom they would wave the no trade clause. In the end trade everything off to get back our first round pick from Anaheim. That way we could use it to pick up Jack Campbell ( goalie )during the draft, and hopefully get Nash. Go for Campbell even if we don't get Nash.

Having a star on your team is like the goal post. A little to the left and the puck is in the net, a little to the right and your going into the corner to dig it out.

The left would be that guy who the NHL loves to see play, and is willing to let slide suspensions..ahem...Ovi..Malkin (you all know the instigation im talking about)..while the right would be the guy who gets those suspensions cause he's either a nobody. or has a history. Sorry Carcillo...
Maybe I'm just an ass, but I have little to no tolerance for spelling our own player's names wrong haha.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 03:03 PM
Subject Orange

either or. Spellings be fixed.

Subject Orange is offline   Reply With Quote