HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2010 Kings Draft Discussion

Old
04-09-2010, 04:22 PM
KingLB

vCash: 500
I am gonna start the Etem bandwagon right here, get this kid he is just what we need, he plays in the WHL (like Lombardi loves), o and he is a California kid

I already got Ziggy and Reaper on with me

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:48 PM
DAkings20
Kings can't score

I would love Etem too but there's no way he's still on the board when were up

DAkings20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 04:56 PM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAkings20 View Post
I would love Etem too but there's no way he's still on the board when were up
I agree that's why I think we should trade up for him. The Kings are already hitting the maximum number of contracts allowed and with an above average number of picks this year, I don't think the Kings are in position to be using every pick, thus using our first and our second to move up ~15 spot in the draft for Etem would be ideal.

Or the Kings could draft Beau Bennett who played for the Jr. Kings as recently as last year with their first or Philly's second.

KingLB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 05:01 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I agree that's why I think we should trade up for him. The Kings are already hitting the maximum number of contracts allowed and with an above average number of picks this year, I don't think the Kings are in position to be using every pick, thus using our first and our second to move up ~15 spot in the draft for Etem would be ideal.

Or the Kings could draft Beau Bennett who played for the Jr. Kings as recently as last year with their first or Philly's second.
When you trade up, that usually entails overpayment.

I can't say I know much about Etem but I know I don't like overpaying.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 07:19 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Emerson Etem

Quote:
Emerson Etem is a highly-skilled player with great hands, great speed and is deadly around the net. He gives the opposition fits with his speed and puck-handling ability. Although not overly large at 6'/195lbs, he is strong on his skates and that makes him tough to knock off the puck. These skills make him a factor in every game he plays. Etem is an exciting offensive player and sure to make you come out of your seat. He may need some work in his defensive play, but his offensive skills and speed are hard to ignore and should make him a 1st Round pick in the 2010 Draft.
http://www.futureconsiderations.ca/i.../emerson-etem/
http://www.whl.ca/stats/player.php?id=25537
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=508603
http://www.mynhldraft.com/2010/NHL-D...s/Emerson-Etem

Etem is certainly a player worth trading up for, but it will be difficult as he is ranked 8th among North American skaters and there are not many strong European prospects in this years draft class. If the Kings wish to acquire him, they probably have to part with some significant pieces.

As nice as it would be to hear the Kings call his name in his hometown, reality is that they likely have no shot at drafting Etem. Watson is more plausible. He plays the style of hockey that fits in the mold of what Lombardi is putting together. Watson would look great with Schenn at center and Clifford on LW.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:13 PM
yankeeking

in all the mock draftsthey have the ducks getting Etem, that would suck.....does nayone know anything about Skinner a couple of them have us taking him,said to be a goal scorer but not in top 30 of scouting service lists?

yankeeking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:19 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I liked Etem too until I saw him play a couple of times. He is very good but I would liken his style of play to Parses. It isn't that he doesn't have the skills. its just that he does nothing that makes him look like a future game breaker. At this stage who knows, he may still develop into a very solid NHL winger but we have several of them in development.

I think that we should be looking for high end, high risk/high reward elite caliber snipers. There are two WHL players that I have seen play that are in line with Deano's style of pick that I would go after first. They are......

Quinton Howden, LW 1/12/1992 L *6.02 182 Moose Jaw WHL

This kid can skate, he is flat out one of the fastest skaters in the WHL and has truly gifted hands. He doesn't shy away from physical play at all but will float until he finds his spot in the o-zone. In his own end he plays a very responsible game and will work hard in the corners. I like the way he battles. He is one of those kids who seems to take it personally when he loses a battle so he works hard not to let it happen.

The next is......

Nino Niederreiter, LW 9/8/1992 L *6.02 205 Portland WHL

In his rookie season he simply took to the na style game without missing a beat. He produced a point per game and then came back to be better this year. He has size, speed and hands and is sort of a poor mans Frolov on the puck. He will likely be gone when we draft but if he isn't I would be happy as anything with this pick. He plays allot like Moller in my opinion but has the size to back up his game (very durable).

There are a couple of others that I have seen play this past season who I think would be great for us but these two stand out in my opinion.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:23 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Double N will be gone by the time the Kings pick.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 10:40 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

yep, but like i said, if I were looking to trade up I would go for players with game breaking skillsets, he sure is one of them.

etherialone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:04 PM
William H Bonney

I can't see either Etem or Watson still being there whenever the Kings pick in any realistic scenario. I'd love to have either one but Watson is probably one of the safest picks in the draft and ever since he left Windsor his stock has been rising steadily as he was finally able to show off his offense. Etem would be awesome being that he's from LA and he's very highly skilled and rated but it's a pipe dream unfortunately.

I think a guy like Tyler Pitlick, who just left the NCAA to join the WHL, is a guy Lombardi could target. Stanislav Galiev is another guy I think would be a good pick for us as well.

It would be awesome if we could nab Beau Bennett, another LA native, in the second round but he could potentially go in the late first round so we'd have to trade up to get him.

William H Bonney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2010, 11:05 PM
JDM
HFB Partner

I'm so glad that this year I have no idea who any of these people are.

JDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 10:26 AM
AKAY47
In Lombardi we trust

Emerson Etem will definitely be gone by the time we're up, we'd have to trade up to get him, I just don't really see DL doing that, he's traded down to get what he wanted (Teubert ) but I don't remember him specifically trading up to get someone

AKAY47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 11:55 AM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKAY47 View Post
Emerson Etem will definitely be gone by the time we're up, we'd have to trade up to get him, I just don't really see DL doing that, he's traded down to get what he wanted (Teubert ) but I don't remember him specifically trading up to get someone
He traded up to get Andrew Campbell.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-10-2010, 12:06 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
He traded up to get Andrew Campbell.
I believe he also did so to draft Alec Martinez. He has traded up in the past when he was with the Sharks.

Ziggy Stardust is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:11 AM
Fat Elvis

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post
Was just thinking the same thing. It's just not a high priority for me at the moment, the playoffs are.

Fat Elvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:35 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM View Post

I was thinking the same thing!

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
socalpuck

The kings do have 5 picks in the first 3 rounds! They do have the assets to trade up. Etem or Watson would be a solid pick.

socalpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 11:09 AM
RAZZIE King
Los Cucarachas

I'm not sure our 7th will be there once the playoffs end...

RAZZIE King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 12:02 PM
TonySCV
Push to the 8th Tee

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAZZIE King View Post
I'm not sure our 7th will be there once the playoffs end...
heh... now THAT is positive thinking.

TonySCV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Knight of the Realm
champs no more!

Sounds good! Hope we get him.

Knight of the Realm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:19 PM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight of the Realm View Post
Sounds good! Hope we get him.
Amongst the players who seem likely to be available in the area we're likely going to have a pick - he sounded the best to me. Admittedly, relying completely on other people's scouting reports.

Sybil227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-11-2010, 09:55 PM
BringTheReign

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH63 View Post
Not too crazy about that ruling. They should just keep it simple and pick in the inverse order of the regular season.

Why penalize a club for having success in the playoffs and why reward those who exit early?
It's not too reward. They want the better prospects going to the worse teams so that they can emerge and compete. If the best teams constantly received the best draft picks, they would be perennial contenders while others would be stuck in the basement.

BringTheReign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:21 AM
KingsFan323

I think Austin Watson and Tyler Toffoli have that two-way game that DL loves. I think either of them in the 1st round would be nice. Obviously I would prefer getting Watson since he can do it all but Toffoli is a more shifty player with a goal scoring touch off the wing. Reminds me of Brett Hull in a way...but that's a little too high of a comparison. Also a wildcard is John McFarland who is also a DL type player that does everything on the ice, scouts compare him to Brenden Morrow...

Anyways my first 3 mock picks look like this...

Round 1- Austin Watson-RW- Windsor (OHL)
Round 2 (PHI)- Evgeny Kuznetsov-C/W- Russia
Round 2- Brandon Davidson- D- WHL (solid left handed D-man with size and smarts)

These picks would be perfect...but I have a feeling it's too good to be true. I'm really high on Kuznetsov and Watson though hope we get at least one of the two.

Last edited by KingsFan323: 04-12-2010 at 02:16 AM.
KingsFan323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 01:58 AM
DapperDan
Bad Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Etem or Watson are who I want the Kings to nab. Watson just screams Dean Lombardi type of player to me.
I was going to say exactly this. Watson would be my first choice but he's pegged to go int he top 15 now. Another Lombardi-type is Brad Ross. Reminds me of Simmonds a little. Plays with speed, gets into the dirty areas and isn't afraid to drop the gloves. We could nab him in the second but might need to move up a few spots.

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-12-2010, 12:45 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringTheReign View Post
It's not too reward. They want the better prospects going to the worse teams so that they can emerge and compete. If the best teams constantly received the best draft picks, they would be perennial contenders while others would be stuck in the basement.
Just because a team is ousted first doesn't mean they're the worst team. What if the hawks were ousted before any other team, does that make them the worst team in the playoffs and thus deserving of a higher draft pick? Of course not, that's silly!

There's a reason why they play 82 (or is it 84) games a season. Let those games determine the best and the worst.

The Black1963 is offline   Reply With Quote